• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you design RE9?

Choose your camera angle (1st Person Camera, 3rd Person/OTS Camera, Fixed Camera). I've thought about this for years. Ironincally that new Outbreak game seems to show in it's trailer, that such a thing should be do-able.
I'm not sure what "do-able" means. Even in third person, the change between fixed camera and OTS fundamentally changes things so deeply, you might as well be making two different games.

Fixed camera tends to prioritize/emphasize movement over combat. That's why enemies are often in such tight spots, around corners you can't see until you change the camera angle, etc. So the main skill being employed is movement. But it means that the enemy layout has to cater to that camera perspective. Corridors too wide, you can dodge enemies easily, defeating the need for skill. Too many zombies, and every room will need the player to attempt "YOLO horde" (a term for the RE2 east(?) wing that's full of zombies and, in "YOLO" fashion, you try to dodge them all instead of engaging them). That will be no fun.

OTS by its very nature tends to emphasize/bias combat over movement. The perspective is meant to give you combat options; you can shoot zombies in the legs to incapacitate their movement, or in the head for permanent incapacitation. Because of that, the placement and quantity of the enemies can be radically different from a fixed camera perspective.

So trying to mix styles is inevitably going to result in compromises being made, and the overall quality of the product will be less than if they focus on a single perspective.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
[/QUOT
Garbage take.

Nah, if you are a fan since 1996 you know it's true. RE4 is one of the greatest and most influential games of all time. But it put an emphasis on arcadey action over survival horror and had a massive impact on the downfall of the genre.

RE 3.5 that would have been a step in the right direction.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
- Folk horror
- Slightly less action than RE8.
- No more "arena" boss fights. Get creative with them like Hideo Kojima does. At least give us more dynamic levels to fight them in.

That's my small wish list. I enjoyed RE8, but mostly the first half.

Last edited:
I really like the way they've done Village, but I would(and this is my take) like a more interesting main character if they are new to the series.

I just, quite frankly, don't like Ethan and find him to be a bit boring.

Ragnarok

I'd call it Resident Evil Nein and have it take place in Argentina, where its revealed Hitler escaped and in trying to make his army of genetically modified ubermensch, he accidentally creates the T Virus. Also Wesker is a Hitler clone.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Spoilers but
next guess after my previous comment, Rose/'Eveline' teams up with Chris and Claire(Mia too) to take down the Connections in the last chapter of the first person WINTERS trilogy.

Would be awesome either one, or something else if they want to shock us 🤭 but now the above has a decent chance of happening...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
More like RE 1-CV and less like 4-8.

Sorry, I just am impartial to what brought the franchise to the dance and those games were 1,2,3, and Code Veronica. It's progressed worse since 4. They're not bad, they're just not what 1-CV were.

[/QUOT

Nah, if you are a fan since 1996 you know it's true. RE4 is one of the greatest and most influential games of all time. But it put an emphasis on arcadey action over survival horror and had a massive impact on the downfall of the genre.

RE 3.5 that would have been a step in the right direction.
I think I was replying more to the tone of that section of your post than to the actual content (which I still disagree with of course). But still, thank you for taking the time to reply and clarify, and I will reasonably do the same.

"If you're a fan since 1996..." This is another problem with a portion of the Resident Evil fanbase as of late; trying to define what a "fan" (or its even more cringy variant, "true fan") means. Resident Evil is my favorite video game series, and no one's labeling or characterization can change that.

That aside, Resident Evil 4 needed to happen, exactly when it happened, otherwise RE as a series might be dead. Code Veronica and (especially) RE0 showed that the fixed camera perspective was reaching an "end of life" in its current design form. There was nowhere to go, and sales and reception both showed that. (And this is coming from someone who defends RE0 as not only a good game, but a game with flashes of genius, even!)

RE7 also needed to happen when it happened, for similar reasons. Less to do with sales though, since RE6 sold very well actually. But their reputation was in the gutter after RE6, so they need to regain the trust of the public if they wanted people to keep buying Resident Evil games. Enter RE7.

So no, I thoroughly reject the idea that Resident Evil is "supposed to be" any given thing. It's an ever evolving series with a large cast of characters within a shared universe. That's it. Whether it's Chris Redfield in a fixed camera game, or Leon Kennedy in an over-the-shoulder game, or Ethan Winters in a first-person game, they're still ALL Resident Evil games.

Neff

Nah, if you are a fan since 1996 you know it's true.

I'm a fan since 1996 and I fully disagree with the idea that RE4 was harmful to the series. It allowed it to evolve and bring in new fans by re-inventing itself in the way any successful, long-running entertainment brand does. RE4 is right up there along with RE1/REmake imo as one of the best games in the series, and I don't believe for a second that it betrayed the franchise. In terms of design, themes, gameplay, presentation it was 100% RE. They just mixed everything around to the point where it felt exciting and new. That was the entire point of RE4. To point at a particular group of fans defined by your own headcanon and blame them for being the reason why 'real' RE games aren't made anymore is ludicrous, and you deserve to be called out for it.

I do think though that Capcom will go back to the idea of fixed cameras at some point, and they may very well do it like 3.5 did, with over the shoulder or first person perspective switching when aiming.

Last edited:
The RE formula is changed every 3 entries: 3 fixed camera games (RE 1-2-3), 3 third person (RE 4-5-6), now 3 first person games (RE 7-8-9)

So I expect the next one to be 1st person

I enjoyed 7 a lot, and I'm probably gonna love 8, but RE 2 remake felt special

I want more of that.

No lycans, vampires, giant babies, "mold", insane action setpieces, instant regeneration of chopped off limbs and etc.

I know RE was always insane, but RE 2-3 felt way more grouded somehow.
4 fixed camera games: You forgot Code Veronica. Survivor and the two umbrella chronicles games were also in first person view. Both revelations games were over the shoulder views. Not sure what outbreak was. Were they fixed camera?

I would like if it inspired itself from RE1 more. I really liked the setting of one big area instead of mutiple small/medium areas like in Village. I loved Village but I was sad to see Castle Dimitrescu over so quickly. I really loved the big mansion in RE1 with a lot of doors, lot of keys required and lot of puzzles. I actually want to be able to be stuck in RE9 because the puzzle would be tough brain teasers or a weird combination of items.

OrtizTwelve

Hey GAF. I am wondering how you would design RE9. For me, I'd want something that respects the series legacy. I'd love it if there was options for third person and even more so, fixed cameras as options in addition to the first person default perspective. Memorable music is something I also miss from previous REs that I haven't really noticed much in the more recent REs. I'd also like minigames that unlock after the main game to give the players something to do after the game's beaten once. Bring back the core characters from the franchise's earlier days. Stop trying so hard to bring in new fans of the series...make an original IP if you want new fans.
A return to third person perspective, perhaps set somewhere in Latin America, that would be interesting. I'm OK with the first person perspective however.

All the different types of climates and locations, could make for an interesting setting.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Make it third person. That's it, I am ok with whatever Capcom decides to do, but the series needs to go back to third person.
I dissagree, i think both perspectives work really well. I would love if we had a toggle, it the game could be played from either perspective. I love the most recent remakes, but i also loved 7 and 8. I think both perspectives work, capcom should embrace that and give people a choice

I do think though that Capcom will go back to the idea of fixed cameras at some point, and they may very well do it like 3.5 did, with over the shoulder or first person perspective switching when aiming.

And you know what? If/when they do release another game in fixed camera, it will be AWESOME. Because, despite some tumbles here and there, the designers of Resident Evil games have earned my trust, and I love the games.

By the way, people will see me in threads here countering points about fixed camera. Let me state something clearly: I absolutely *love* fixed camera games. I replay RE1, RE2, and RE3 multiple times per year. I think REmake is legitimately one of the greatest games of all time. I even vouch for RE0, which has its fair share of haters. I really really like RE0, in fact. For both REmake and RE0, I play with "traditional" tank controls instead of the analog scheme, because I've now come to associate fixed camera with tank controls. It's second nature to me, and I love it.

When somebody says "but mah fixed cameras, wahhhh" I provide counterpoints not out of disliking fixed camera, but out of evolutionary and market realities. I'd rather see RE evolve and survive as a series, than stay stuck in fixed camera zombies in Raccoon City and die forever.

But if a new fixed camera game gets released, you know I'll be there day 1.

Neff

the designers of Resident Evil games have earned my trust, and I love the games.

They maintain a ridiculously high standard. It's the only game series I can say is consistently good where tentpole releases are concerned. Even Revelations, which is easily my least favourite of the main titles, is still a damn good time.

And yeah, it's absurd to want a 25 year-old entertainment IP to stay the same. Look how many times Mario reinvented itself. Or Zelda. Or Star Trek. Or Bond. That's why they're still around. Iconography only goes so far, you've got to bring something new to the table as well.

They maintain a ridiculously high standard. It's the only game series I can say is consistently good where tentpole releases are concerned.
(At the bolded) You may need to run for cover... The Zelda people might be coming after you 😂

All jokes aside, great points throughout the rest of your post.

Vaz

Neo Member
I'd like to see the return of the time freeze from RE3, but instead of just being something like 2 decisions, an entire scene plays out. Here's what I'm thinking. Capcom seems to like the idea of having a persistent hunter in the game that is very imposing. So, on these encounters they would trigger a slowdown of time as the character experiences that massive adrenaline hit. This is when the game can introduce a bunch of chaos to the player. The scene will start out slow and through a mathematical "LERP" will increase in speed until normal time is achieved. During the slowdown, the player will be in the characters thoughts as all kinds of panicked information is presented. "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?" "The smell is xxxxx" "I can do xxxx but if I do then xxxxx" "If only xxxxx was here with the xxxxxx". Many choices can appear for set amounts of time and disappear as the character goes through various thoughts. I would even flash several decisions around the screen extremely fast which can't be selected just to emulate the speed of thoughts racing through the characters mind.

- Get rid of Ethan (even though I've read that 7-9 are supposed to be a trilogy, idc)
- Gimme more creepy mansions and underground laboratories
- More and better puzzles, pls
- Better boss fights (e.g., give the bosses an expanded moveset, more 'phases', etc.)
- 3rd person perspective (sorry fps bros)

- Get rid of Ethan (even though I've read that 7-9 are supposed to be a trilogy, idc)
This is a fair point, but I think Ethan (or someone like him) needed to happen.

The original mainline members (Chris, Jill, Leon, Ada, and to a lesser extent Claire) started becoming borderline "superhero" status. You needed Ethan (or someone like him) -- an every man -- to scale things back and try to make them terrifying again.

Someone of the Chris/Leon capacity levels would probably destroy the Bakers very quickly, removing any tension from RE7. So Ethan was a way to make the series a bit more grounded and localized in RE7, since by the time RE6 rolled around, you had global-scale disasters thwarted by your group of superheroes.

Ethan may be unappealing for his own reasons, but they needed to scale things back.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

I would like something in the vein of RE5. Third person, action focused, jump scares, big over the top boss fights, co-op, and some aspects of RE6 like multiple playable characters.

Barakov

tumblr_o1j3vkrcBf1sx2peuo4_500.gifv
Street Fighter Yes GIF

This is a fair point, but I think Ethan (or someone like him) needed to happen.

The original mainline members (Chris, Jill, Leon, Ada, and to a lesser extent Claire) started becoming borderline "superhero" status. You needed Ethan (or someone like him) -- an every man -- to scale things back and try to make them terrifying again.

Someone of the Chris/Leon capacity levels would probably destroy the Bakers very quickly, removing any tension from RE7. So Ethan was a way to make the series a bit more grounded and localized in RE7, since by the time RE6 rolled around, you had global-scale disasters thwarted by your group of superheroes.

Ethan may be unappealing for his own reasons, but they needed to scale things back.
Yup, I agree completely regarding the mainline characters. Their power levels are definitely getting up over 9000. But, I'd say my dislike of Ethan is purely due to his personality and not so much his supposed 'every man' status - I just don't like him. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom