• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you design RE9?

kikii

Remake the 1st. Use PS5/XBSX full power, dynamic fixed camera angles + tank controls. Either that or just leave it alone until next gen.
this, dunno why ppl call that 1st as remake as its clearly HD Remaster

E: ontopic bring back horror and 3rd person view

Last edited:
Imagine if they switched it to turn-based combat.
Animated GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
After beating RE8, RE9 absolutely needs to be (and will be) first person. Close out that trilogy as it should be.

After that, make 10 another soft reboot of sorts and go back to third person. A brand new game in the style of REmake 2 sounds fucking delicious.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You want an action game. Just play Crackdown or the latest Saint Rows.

But just imagine a combination of Saints Row and RE? It would be the GOAT game, especially if they can set it in a open world the size of a small country. You could still have horror elements, just set those in the rural and small settlement areas.

Calverz

Id like to see them try modernised fixed cameras. The amount of detail they could put in each screen would be amazing. Id even take it as a side project too as obviosuly wouldnt be popular i dont think. Modern gamers wouldnt like it lol

TheKratos

I'm interested in the story of RE7/8. Continue that but with Chris as main character. An experienced veteran who just destroys everything, let me go guns blazing. It's survival for monsters, the player is their horror.

RE7/8 were not scary let's be honest, they had a creepy setting and RE8 had greatly designed monsters. To me RE should be an action game, with fun upgradeable guns to be used on fantastically designed monsters.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Get rid of the overarching story. 7 and 8 would have been far far better without the Chris elements. Just concentrate on making a fun horror experience with some inventive puzzles in completely different locations. Not related at all bar the brand name.

Get rid of the black goo. 8 would have been better as 2 games; a one about Lycans in a village then a completely separate game in a vampire castle so you get time to make the most of both ideas. Do more with the mechanics. A day/night cycle in both hypothetical games would be incredible.

Keep the basic resident evil elements such as ammo scarcity, puzzles and weapon upgrades but let each game have its own twist or gimmick. Vampire castle game could do a lot with blood and gameplay when the character is injured etc.

Get rid of the stupid OTT set pieces.

Neff

Point to Village and say to Capcom "See that? Do that again. Thanks."

I would love the next RE game to be either RE4 Remake or Code Veronica Remake from the ground up like RE2 and RE3 remake.

I have a hunch we'll be getting Revelations 3 or RE4make next. Maybe even an anniversary collection of the classic games.

But just imagine a combination of Saints Row and RE

This idea is more terrifying than anything in RE itself.

Last edited:
Needs more of a cinematic feel in terms of animation. Tired of stiff manikin walking zombies . The zombies need to be smarter. They can hide behind barrels, walls, doors, and come out to attack you when you least suspect it. Perhaps RDNA3 with machine learning can advance AI learning can make this possible..

UnNamed

Banned
RE7 had a good setting. The problem with the series so far is you can really expect anything. I agree with those who say the next step could be aliens.

Javthusiast

Banned
You take the subpar wonky fps gameplay and switch it out with third person gameplay. Also try to fix the second half of a Resi game getting super weak or Call of Duty like.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
third person warriors are really annoying. 7 was first person and it was the most classical ass classic re. it was great... and I prefer 3rd person games but cmon
So we can't want third-person? It goes the same for first-person morons who say the exact damn fucking thing. Dammit, why do people like you exist?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So we can't want third-person? It goes the same for first-person morons who say the exact damn fucking thing. Dammit, why do people like you exist?
why not? I think I prefer 3rd person but it just don't matter as much.
The issue I had playing village this week was lack of positional and body awarness during dodging and some other actions. 3rd person allows you to be more aware of your position etc. Something that is obvious in real life.
Even when You drive a car, you feel and know where your car is and where are it's boundaries. That's why we need 3rd person to "cheat" the inability to feel that ingame. Even vr is not 100% answer because body tracking is not there yet, low fov and moving head =/= moving eyes too.
so yes - I do think 3rd person is good compromise. But in 7 and 8 they want you to feel like Ethan. That's why they hide his face... but there are no choices and he has a voice so its bs

vpance

RE7 had a good setting. The problem with the series so far is you can really expect anything. I agree with those who say the next step could be aliens.

The series has gone on so long they have to come up with any reason to switch things up to draw interest and keep fans guessing. It’s like with Lost or any long TV series where they have to make things get weirder and weirder.

Jokerevo

Banned
So I'm just gonna come out with what everyone really wants but is afraid to say. Re9 takes place exclusively up Lady D's butthole.

Still with me?

Good.

So.

Basically Ethan has been miniaturised and Lady D's body has been taken to the morgue. It's up to Ethan to find a way to escape all the bacteria before the autopsy is completed and the body is incinerated.

New enemies such as butthole hair, pus flakes, sweat droplets, crack worms etc.

Derktron

Banned
why not? I think I prefer 3rd person but it just don't matter as much.
The issue I had playing village this week was lack of positional and body awarness during dodging and some other actions. 3rd person allows you to be more aware of your position etc. Something that is obvious in real life.
Even when You drive a car, you feel and know where your car is and where are it's boundaries. That's why we need 3rd person to "cheat" the inability to feel that ingame. Even vr is not 100% answer because body tracking is not there yet, low fov and moving head =/= moving eyes too.
so yes - I do think 3rd person is good compromise. But in 7 and 8 they want you to feel like Ethan. That's why they hide his face... but there are no choices and he has a voice so its bs
Shut up please, please shut up. You are just ..... you know -- To the ignore list cause I can't stand people like you.

Neff

This is a good point, and was one of the biggest fears I had going into 7, but they made it work. The block feature also negates a lot of worry about unseen attacks.

IX really has to be first person to round off the trilogy. We'll go back to third person before IX is even out in whatever Capcom cooks up during the interim, be it Revelations 3 or another remake. I'd like them to try a fixed camera title again at some point. There are more over-the-shoulder TPS games in this series than any other style. It's time to switch things up again.

Banned
1-3 fixed cameras
4-6 third person
7-9 first person

so the camera needs to stay first person to keep this pattern :)

although technically Code Veronica is a mainline game and Zero as well, so we have 5 mainline fixed camera games

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Shut up please, please shut up. You are just ..... you know -- To the ignore list cause I can't stand people like you.
Why? what did I say wrong?
Firs or 3rd person I don't care much. I like both. Just reasonably can find more reason for 3rd person... But some my fav games are fps

I love the RE series, it's my favorite video game series. But this thread is one reason why I don't much interact with some RE fans; they're honestly starting to become insufferable.

First of all, a conversation about RE9 when RE8 has JUST come out!?

Fucking hell, if you want a third-person, fixed-camera, slower paced title, there are SIX mainline games (1, 2, 3, CVX, RE0, REmake) already in existence, that can give you that experience. Go play one of those.

If you want over-the-shoulder third person games, there are 5 mainline games (4, 5, 6, REmake 2, REmake 3) and 2 Revelations spinoffs -- go play those. That's just RE, we're not even counting the dozens of other games, in other series (Last of Us, Gears, Dead Space, etc etc etc) that can give you the third person over the shoulder experience.

Let the creators -- you know, the people with actual video game design experience and vision -- drive the series. Review scores and the market will dictate whether it's a well-received direction.

If creators drive the series in a new direction (Resident Evil, Yakuza, etc), people bitch.

But if creators do the same (or similar) thing entry after entry (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc) people also bitch.

It's a lose-lose situation 😂

Azurro

Banned
Needs more of a cinematic feel in terms of animation. Tired of stiff manikin walking zombies . The zombies need to be smarter. They can hide behind barrels, walls, doors, and come out to attack you when you least suspect it. Perhaps RDNA3 with machine learning can advance AI learning can make this possible..

You don't need machine learning to do any of that. That's a decision dictated by design and time/budget.

ksdixon

Picture this: raccoon city, 1999 a deadly virus is released, chaos, zombies. You fight to survive but you are bitten by a zombie! You die and mutate, you become an zombie with telepathic powers .

The goal of the game? Eat humans to survive, use your less capable zombie brothers as shields against humans....control the city

Am I being serious? No idea, would anyone you play that game?
Stubbs says hi

skneogaf

Resident evil 2 remake clone of the new movie animation that's set in the Whitehouse.

Its an awesome idea as so many tunnels and paths and options like puzzles etc.

truth777

Banned
Complete overhaul of the enemy design. I’ve seen the same clusterfuck fish-type boss monster since RE4. They need a virus that augments enemies’ abilities to jump higher, tear through walls,etc. The “bullet sponge that turns into eyeballs and tentacles” has been done enough.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just like RE2REMAKE but with the original scenario system place in a large Explorable City, not Open World big but feels like it but still plays like a Resident Evil game
General enemy design will be based on infection level, so Zombies, Crimson Heads, any animal life will also have their own mutation levels.
And it wouldn't be Resident Evil without Bioweapon experiments.
So new more deadlier versions of Hunter's & Lickers along with new experiments
But they won't be easily dispatched, they should have a predator system in place
Hunter's should hunt like Velociraptor and are a bastard to kill.
While Lickers a bit easier but more intelligent akinda like the Aliens xenomorph.
Surprise attacks will be common but they will retreat & attack strategically.
Umm that all I can think of for now..🤔

Neff

this thread is one reason why I don't much interact with some RE fans; they're honestly starting to become insufferable.

Franchise infighting is the thing these days, haven't you heard?

Real talk, I don't consider anyone who dismisses someone else's opinion because they advocate or condemn a fucking camera angle a fan. I have my preferences, we all do, but to draw lines in the sand over perspectives and play styles, and to get pissy about it as a result, is ridiculous.

I will always enjoy conversing with those who enjoy all RE games. That's what being a fan means to me.

Fuck Operation Raccoon City though.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I wonder if they cannot leave room for a smaller entry catering to us old time fans (Fixed Camera, Tank Controls, backtracking, puzzles, tension you know the drill) I know ADHD kids from the ps2 era love their OTS camera and mexican speaking spanish zombies so I don't expect AAA budget on one of these entries.

Honestly who the heck asked for that multiplayer crap on the latest games? Those manhours would have been better invested on a fixed camera entry.

Third-Person, RE2 Remake controls. Trapped in Raccoon City beginning to end, fighting off zombies and gathering resources to escape on foot. It's the game RE3 Remake should've been but failed. Also the game everyone has wanted forever.

Other than that, I actually have no idea besides remaking RE0 and Code Veronica. Somebody brought up making it fixed camera + turn based and that could be awesome if it's fast and flashy like Yakuza 7. Enemies can jump in on you like Chrono Trigger (instead of random battles).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
First RE7 and RE8 respect the RE legacy... there are focused in the roots and experience you had in the original trilogy.
Second RE9 is part of the RE7-RE9 trilogy... so it will be similar.

Great Hair

Banned
We have reached a point, where they should make more bad RE movies instead some games. The franchise is so dead, even the dead are tired of it.

A cooking show with Rebbeca Chambers (she´s headless), her co-host being a giant snake: "9 recipes: how to make a good stew with zombie innards!"

I Dont Care Who Cares GIF by LookHUMAN

Spoilers below this point, read on at your own risk:

"Play as Ethan's Daughter as main protag, with maybe a section or two as Chris."

I'd like to see it take place in the Japanese Country side if at all possible. Forests, temples, ect.
I don't think it will happen though.

EDIT: Those spoiler tags did not work for some reason. Sorry!

Last edited:

Hugare

The RE formula is changed every 3 entries: 3 fixed camera games (RE 1-2-3), 3 third person (RE 4-5-6), now 3 first person games (RE 7-8-9)

So I expect the next one to be 1st person

I enjoyed 7 a lot, and I'm probably gonna love 8, but RE 2 remake felt special

I want more of that.

No lycans, vampires, giant babies, "mold", insane action setpieces, instant regeneration of chopped off limbs and etc.

I know RE was always insane, but RE 2-3 felt way more grouded somehow.

ksdixon

One story, start unifiying the story together rather than each game allowing fans to 'interpret' their own story. You know stuff like you can't have a run in RE1/make where you can save everyone, but that's the canon ending.

Choose your camera angle (1st Person Camera, 3rd Person/OTS Camera, Fixed Camera). I've thought about this for years. Ironincally that new Outbreak game seems to show in it's trailer, that such a thing should be do-able.

I think if RE moved-to this model, they'd satisfy every audience they have.
You can even have some games which are drop-in co-op like RE5 or RE Rev2.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hard to say. As long as it has puzzles/exploration/limited resources, I'm pretty much fine with whatever they do. They nailed the core gameplay in RE7, REmake 2/3, and in RE8 so I'm back to trusting Capcom's judgement with RE.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cyber/futuristic horror.

Make it take place in the BSAA headquarters and with loads of labs and experimental areas.

Top Bottom