• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you, gamer?

how old are you, dear gamer? and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?

• Total voters

spawn

I'm 32. I have no complaints here. I still get excited when I see a new game. I don't have much time for gaming, but it's all I really want to do.

Kupfer

30-40 - NO

For me it feels like the peak of gaming was the decade between 2001 and 2011. Of course on the one hand because it was the perfect time for me as a teenager and young adult, there was a LAN party somewhere every month, my friends and I played Tony Hawk, Mario Kart 64, Tekken, F Zero X, Halo etc and I associate a lot with that time.
On the other hand it was also a time when many innovations came to the market. Halo, HL2, Far Cry, GTA4, Gears of War, L4D, RDR, Dead Space, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., FEAR, Assassin's Creed, NFS Underground 2, BF Bad Company, BF3, ARMA II - just to name a few. Each of these games was groundbreaking and introduced elements that defined today's standard.
I miss that aspect tremendously today. Many developers are only reproducing successful recipes of that time, there is a lack of innovation. We have more computing power than ever, and yet I'm still fighting stupid enemies in static environments. In the PS360, we were already further ahead in that respect. Devs put in more effort to be unique. But A.I. and physics is not as obvious as fancy textures and lighting effects. What you see right away sells better.

Dynasty8

I'm genuinely curious how old the previous members are from the "other" forum. Not hating, just curious since my opinions have drastically changed in the last 15-20 years. I'm in my late thirties now, but man was I out of touch with basic real world issues back then and maybe a tab bit overly emotional.

As for games, still love them. My opinion on some genres have changed a lot too. Used to love JRPGs back in the day...would buy anything with the "Squaresoft" logo on it. Can't stand 90% of them now. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Well traditional forums are definitely dying looking at that age distribution :messenger_neutral:

I'm happy with gaming, although even indie games have started to fall into a number of predictable genres. But that's how it goes. The low hanging fruit have been picked.

Deerock71

50. I also see I'm not the oldest person here. Huh.
matthew watch GIF
matthew mcconaughey oscars GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
30-40. no.
I play less and less each year because I like Single player story driven games.
Half-Life2, Fear, UC4, Tlou2, Death Stranding, Last Guardian, Soma, Last Guardian, saints row 3, SOULS !!! and so on.
Open world games are fine. Rpg's too but they don't make Morrowind, Kotor, Mass Effects like they used to. Souls is a new RPG and I am fine with it.

Just feels like everything takes ages to come out and we get so little notable games anymore. We DO get some each year usually. This year so far HFW which I very much disliked and Elden Ring which I loved but it was worse than souls.... open world...
But it's still better than all these 4 player coop, fortnite clones and f2p and all that cancer stuff.
Compare to 2003,4 1997, 2007, 2011... we had tons more games each month than whole years recently.
But when we do get stuff that I like, it's usually extremely good

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
30-40s here and NO and I basically hate the direction the games industry has taken after 2001

I got into gaming to play arcade games, sega made the best arcade games, sega also had home consoles
and with the genesis I could play (almost) arcade level games at home life was good I played EVERYTHING and loved it

I hate modern gaming, I hate open world games, action rpgs, narrative based movie games,
first person anything got old for me after the 2000s
The type of games I like aren't even being made anymore I buy one (not counting retro games) game a year now

The only game I care about in 2022 (after Sonic Origins shit the bed) is the Klonoa remake

the only new game I'm looking forward to in the future is Armored Core....thats it! I'm done!

I don't understand how so many people in my age group are like

"this era awesome RE4 remake 14 woo hoo something for everyone! lootcrate always online shitfest or AAA blockbuster borefest
or halfassed indie game cash grabs wow so great!"

I honestly think certain people in my age group are just addicted to gaming, quality and innovation be damned just gotta get that fix

kiphalfton

35, 2 weeks 36 no clue where the time went still feel 25.

Going to be 32 this year... but still feel like I'm in my early 20's. I blame work; when you really only have 4-5 hours free "to yourself", time is going to feel like it flies by.

All in all I would say gaming is good. It's everything else that sucks.

Last edited:

Bigfroth

48, It's good overall a few rough edges but that's with anything. I remember it like yesterday playing Pacman on my Atari 2600 then running over to my buddies and playing KC Munchkin on the Odessey 2. always arguing which was better. Then the kid neither of us liked lording his Colecovision over us both lol.

Markio128

I’m 49, so like a lot of others, I’ve been there and done that, but I still love gaming.

I’d personally like to see a midlife crisis game where, against the clock, you have to buy a motorbike/2-seater soft top, get a tattoo, buy a leather jacket and fall in love with a 20-something.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I'm a life-long fan of single player games and really hate the current trend of online GAAS games. There seem to be less and less games I'm looking forward to and I see no end to this downward trend.

Strider311

Early 30’s here. Overall I am satisfied, but I do have a couple issues. First, which is not the industry’s fault, is that I just hardly have any time to enjoy gaming anymore. That is just life I guess.

But other than that, it is taking way too long between releases of my favorite franchises. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Batman… they are all still around (MGS is rumored at least), but it feels like all are on life support with so many years passing between releases. Too damn slow.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Seems like a gross marketing poll created by someone compiling data. They will then anonymize the data (add 3 zeros to the number of data points they have), the charge some company for said data as a “consultant”…don’t take the bait Gaf.

H . R . 2

Is this thread market research? which company do you work for OP ? Ubisoft or the feds? this thread really glows.
I represent gaming and gamers :D
someone might actually use this for research though, but not me, so keeps things anonymous people :D
BUT I must say this has been a revelation,... a true epiphany for me.
I always wondered about the age distribution and the overall attitude on GAF and this has been really really interesting and answered so many of the questions in the back of my mind. hope it was as helpful to you guys as it has been to me
thank you everyone for participating, we needed this!

Seems like a gross marketing poll created by someone compiling data. They will then anonymize the data (add 3 zeros to the number of data points they have), the charge some company for said data as a “consultant”…don’t take the bait Gaf.
I know it sounds like something that a company rep would say but I assure you that I do not work for anyone and I asked the above questions out of personal curiosity. also, you can see my track record on GAF. I am a gamer, mate :)
also anyone familiar with research principles knows that such data collection is basically worthless and extremely unreliable as there are no specifics and an overly large number of variables that need to be taken into account for the data collection to be valid

Last edited:
old enuff to grow up on Atari and NES. Happy enuff with current gaming for BOTW to become my new Fave game of all time. unseating Bubble Bobble and Snake Eater

40's coming up fast...but i regularly play battle royales and GaAs games. Stupid Marvel skins and now the no build finally converted me to a Fortnite player in my advanced age

Last edited:

anothertech

There's an unlimited amount of gacha bullshit but look at what's available now.

Steam, hundreds of games for monthly pass, games like Destiny for free, experiences like God of War, Forza and fucking Beat Saber

I mean holy shit I would have been in digital Nirvana

Needlecrash

36. So far, so good. I'm seeing games I didn't think was possible with regards to the leaps of technology and immersiveness. The biggest thing that's happened recently is playing Naomi and Atomiswave games on Fightcade with GGPO net code. MVS2 with GGPO online play?? FUUUUUUUUUUCCK. 🤤

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I represent gaming and gamers :D
someone might actually use this for research though, but not me, so keeps things anonymous people :D
BUT I must say this has been a revelation,... a true epiphany for me.
I always wondered about the age distribution and the overall attitude on GAF and this has been really really interesting and answered so many of the questions in the back of my mind. hope it was as helpful to you guys as it has been to me
thank you everyone for participating, we needed this!

I know it sounds like something that a company rep would say but I assure you that I do not work for anyone and I asked the above questions out of personal curiosity. also, you can see my track record on GAF. I am a gamer, mate :)
also anyone familiar with research principles knows that such data collection is basically worthless and extremely unreliable as there are no specifics and an overly large number of variables that need to be taken into account for the data collection to be valid
30 Rock Hello GIF

damn alot of old fucks.

Anyways, gaming is fine. I assume Ill quit gaming not far after passing 30. I do miss the licensed games. Tazan on GBC, BugsLife on PS1, Shrek on GBC, etc. Mobile has that market on lock now, with micro transactions.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Most good fathers got their kid a gaming thing growing up with not so much wealth it was a privilege to play N64.

Knightime_X

1. Can improve gaming by stop gating players based on philosophies.
Even the hardest games had cheats and difficulty settings back then.

2. Bring back cheats for offline gaming.

3. It's ok if an rpg is only 15-25 hours long on 1st playthrough.
Just stop with the padding and watering down just to make it appear longer.

4. Just make your game and stop worrying if you'll offend someone.
They'll get over it immediately.

5. Bring back strategy guides.
Doesn't have to be a physical book.

6. Stop with predatory micro transactions.
Could make a hell of a lot more money by selling things like $0.35 instead of $4.99 because it will entice people to buy more things far FAR more often.
But don't be a greedy shithead about it either.

You seem like a fake ass gamer my friend. Where's that spirit? That pride of being a gamer?

I'm 33 and I kind of miss the old days where big releases could be experimental & cool, like the PS1/2 days, but I do like the accessibility for game development and the proliferation of indie games.
Time and Bitches.

my PS5 is destined exclusively for trivia party games when I am 33.

Housh

38 and apathetic. Grew up a single player obsessed with storytelling, graphics, and artistry. Now I've been content in a mindless loop of call of duty multiplayer until the next Yakuza comes out.

Buki1

Im pretty sure the golden times of gaming are far behind us. I still have magazines from the nineties and Im still amazed how fast gaming was evolving. I went from Amiga or Snes to Playstation and N64 in like what, three years? This what I considered generation evolution back then. In 5 years GTA went from top down 2d game to fully 3d open world of Vice City. All the big series had new instalment every year or two. You had some news about new game release, and that game was on the market month or two from that. Evolution of graphics was so fast that almost every month you had game that looked better than anything before. Every console generation offered graphics that were absolutely mindblowing and could not run on previous generation.

And now everything is so stagnant. People still play GTAV, game that was released almost 10 years ago. New consoles still run on cross gen games, that offer same game just in higher resolution and better framerate (often not even both things at the same time with all that quality/performance modes). Games are announced few years before release and you have enough of it even before it is released because of the constant marketing stream spoiling every part of the game. New ideas are now only in indie games since AAA are stuck in universal formulas that have to hit broad market. And dont even let me start on Gaas, microtransations, P2W and all that toxic traits of modern gaming. I just feel whole gaming industry is just working in slow motion comparing to how exciting and fast evolving it was back in the days.

Last edited:

Vyse

Gold Member
Turning 50 in about a month in a half. My gaming habits have changed somewhat over the years decades, My love of gaming has stayed consistantly strong with us now having the biggest variety of games and ways to play them than ever. Very satisfied with how things are overall.
This for me. 54. Joke was as a kid I had tons of time and no money to game. Now I am older will all of the main stream gaming systems and no time to play. 🤪

SirTerry-T

Fiddy!
Overall I'd say I'm satisfied, no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to play games you don't want to play and with emulation being what it is there are plenty of options. I gave up chasing the latest "hot thing" in gaming many years ago and just play what I want, regardless of reviews, hype streams and all that bollocks.

Once you grow up past that FOMO mentality, things become a lot more enjoyable...I do miss the 16-bit era though, that was the high point for me of video games still feeling like video games rather than AAAAA megabudget, cinematic, DLC driven epic time sinks.

Last edited:

Raven117

Where is, “none of your goddamn business?”

But yeah…. I think there is a great variety of games and the industry is in a good spot. The GaaS thing is a little irritating, but I think that’s ebbing a little bit.

There is something for everyone out there right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom