• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you, gamer?

how old are you, dear gamer? and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?

• Total voters

dave_d

To paraphrase Jack Benny I'm 39. Can't complain about games these days. Back when I started you could just tell the systems had to do work around to do the stuff they really couldn't do. These days that's pretty much not true.

Last edited:
Nope, and I find that SAD af too. I don't watch sports. I just feel like once you're 30+ you should have a good enough job to afford any platform that plays games. Games are not any worse or better because of the metal and plastic powering them, but these fanboys will tell you different! :D
I can afford any system I want, that's why you won't find me bashing any system for it's power or popularity. I like games not hardware. Gaming is my cheapest hobby too.

Mozzarella

Although im 29, im happy to vote for 20-30, dont want to be older, lol.
I voted NO because recent years have been disappointing, except for a few releases the games are not as good as they used to be, or as original as they used to be, and the many companies going down the drain and becoming terrible had its effect. A lot of delays as well. I would say from 2015 up to 2019 early 2020 i was pretty satisfied with it, from late 2020 to 2022 im not.

I'm just happy to see that in every group there are more happy than unhappy gamers. Sure, you can always identify problems and troubles...with *anything*, but the state of gaming, as I see it, encompasses the entirety of the medium...time, platform, genre, budget, etc. And when the lens is zoomed out to look at everything, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed with this hobby unless you just don't really love it on a fundamental level. For a true enthusiast of this format of creative expression, gaming is in a glorious state.

KaitoTheElf

Neo Member
21 and I am for sure optimistic as the Western AAA side of things never really interested me anyways. I don't really know what I would improve to be honest as im fine with things as is.

Little Mac

Gold Member
42 in two days. And no. Love me some xbox and gamepass but the pandemic has really slowed everything down in regards to releases for games and genres I'm interested in. I've also been waiting for whatever new hardware or revision Nintendo announces next but I'm guessing that might be a while. Indies have been getting me by lately though and next year looks bananas.

Last edited:
29 & No.

I grew up in an era when gaming was still this niche thing that only “nerds” played. You had your console and games and you enjoyed every single one. Kids these days will NEVER experience true splitscreen multiplayer and the arguments it brought.

There was no internet to help you through a game, no YouTube. I swear it took me around 2-3 years just to complete OOT. I had a friend who i played it with who moved away for a few months and I eagerly waited his return because he knew someone who knew how to get the fire arrow. Literal months waiting to find out how to get one item. The sense of achievement of finally getting it was phenomenal. Kids now will never feel this kind of achievement or rush.

The music of road rash still rings in my brain like my own theme tune. The glory days of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow and the years of card collecting that followed. Not to mention the Pokémon movie which lets be honest, we all cried at the big fight.

The glory of the PS2 and release of GTA3. I still remember getting it for Christmas and me and my brother sitting on the floor playing and proudly saying to my mother “Look mum, you can kick people in the balls”. She was not impressed, we were. Yes I know, kids aren’t supposed to play adult games, but we all grew up fine, respectful and are hard working people with our own kids.

Still though, it’s just not the same now.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well.. I currently look 55, but.in a handsome wau

So many Russian beauty's want to marry me

It's getting suspicious

Last edited:

Sojiro

About to be 40 in August, and I voted no. I don't think it's all doom and gloom (partly because of indies), but I feel like the super safe focused tested and sleazy MTX models have soured a lot of this industry for me. Thankfully, there are still games to find that aren't like this, but I definitely don't like the overall direction it all seems to be heading. At the end of the day I have built up enough retro stuff to probably last my the rest of my lifetime, so if worst comes to worst, I stick my head in the sand and play games from the past.

MacReady13

42 and sort of...

I appreciate the advancements in graphics and sound and the level designs in some of these 3D games is unreal. Very clever and I guess we just take it for granted how difficult it must be to create these lavish worlds where we can go almost anywhere yet end up where we need to be.

In saying that, I really despise the fact (and it is a fact) that Microsoft, losing the war against Sony, decided to go the Netflix route and make subscriptions in gaming the cool thing to do. It further goes to show that you will not own anything you pay for and you will happy doing it.

I also believe that, no matter how simple some people think games were in the "old" days, gaming on the SNES/Mega Drive will never be bettered. Gaming then was all about gameplay. Not every game was a classic but they didn't need to be. When you had games like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania etc, gaming was a great hobby to have. It was fun to brag about a SNES version of a game you owned being better than the Mega Drive version, and vice-versa. Seeing Sonic The Hedgehog for the 1st time made me jealous of all Mega Drive owners as my NES couldn't do that! Then I got my SNES and I could brag again! Games were made for fun. Weren't overly complicated and no one was shoving messages down your throat at every opportunity, or calling you out for being a gamer.

The war between Sega and Nintendo was legendary and very real. Today they all pretend to be best friends. It had spice and it was fantastic to see!

At the end of the day, I'll never have another moment seeing Sonic for the 1st time or seeing Street Fighter 2 on my mates SNES for the 1st time. Legendary moments that gaming just can't deliver today. Nothing today stands out. Even though it almost all looks glorious it doesn't WOW me anymore like gaming used to. That says nothing about gameplay either, which was also far better in the 8/16 bit era.

I was also a fan of the 32/64/128 bit eras and even the early years 360/PS3. Gaming was still pure and fun. No need for patches in games pre 360/PS3. Buy a game, play it and enjoy it for what it was. Nothing complicated at all. No greed in DLC and hardly ever releasing special editions of games to suck pockets dry.

At the end of the day, I far preferred gaming then vs now. Looking ahead, gaming losing physical media is bad news (and for all those saying it's still around, lets see for how long thanks to these sub services) and even talk of losing consoles is really sad. My backlog is big enough that I could game for decades without needing anything new but console gaming was once a great pass time, and it's now losing that for me. My opinion anyway!!!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
42 and sort of...

I appreciate the advancements in graphics and sound and the level designs in some of these 3D games is unreal. Very clever and I guess we just take it for granted how difficult it must be to create these lavish worlds where we can go almost anywhere yet end up where we need to be.

In saying that, I really despise the fact (and it is a fact) that Microsoft, losing the war against Sony, decided to go the Netflix route and make subscriptions in gaming the cool thing to do. It further goes to show that you will not own anything you pay for and you will happy doing it.

I also believe that, no matter how simple some people think games were in the "old" days, gaming on the SNES/Mega Drive will never be bettered. Gaming then was all about gameplay. Not every game was a classic but they didn't need to be. When you had games like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania etc, gaming was a great hobby to have. It was fun to brag about a SNES version of a game you owned being better than the Mega Drive version, and vice-versa. Seeing Sonic The Hedgehog for the 1st time made me jealous of all Mega Drive owners as my NES couldn't do that! Then I got my SNES and I could brag again! Games were made for fun. Weren't overly complicated and no one was shoving messages down your throat at every opportunity, or calling you out for being a gamer.

The war between Sega and Nintendo was legendary and very real. Today they all pretend to be best friends. It had spice and it was fantastic to see!

At the end of the day, I'll never have another moment seeing Sonic for the 1st time or seeing Street Fighter 2 on my mates SNES for the 1st time. Legendary moments that gaming just can't deliver today. Nothing today stands out. Even though it almost all looks glorious it doesn't WOW me anymore like gaming used to. That says nothing about gameplay either, which was also far better in the 8/16 bit era.

I was also a fan of the 32/64/128 bit eras and even the early years 360/PS3. Gaming was still pure and fun. No need for patches in games pre 360/PS3. Buy a game, play it and enjoy it for what it was. Nothing complicated at all. No greed in DLC and hardly ever releasing special editions of games to suck pockets dry.

At the end of the day, I far preferred gaming then vs now. Looking ahead, gaming losing physical media is bad news (and for all those saying it's still around, lets see for how long thanks to these sub services) and even talk of losing consoles is really sad. My backlog is big enough that I could game for decades without needing anything new but console gaming was once a great pass time, and it's now losing that for me. My opinion anyway!!!
First free 360 years were amazing. Plenty of games and patches were max 2mb

Elios83

39, I thought I was in the old guys group at this point ( I made my account in 2004-2005 when I was 21-22 years old) but it seems I'm in good company :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes in general I'm statisfied because I think that hardware has finally reached a level where we can get the immersion and realism I used to dream about in the 90s.
As an example I'm currently playing with GT7 and the feeling of the HDR lighting, the realism of the other cars near you plus the haptic feedback is just amazing, at times it seems real.

People always tend to look at the past with nostalgia but back in the days there were tons of limitations, many genres just weren't considered to be a good fit for consoles so you could only play them properly on a PC (pretty much all the western games), people had to wait a long time (even more than a year) for localizations, games couldn't be updated so it was not possible to add contents or simply make things better.
Thanks to the indie scene and smaller publishers it's also easy to find something interesting to play in between big releases.

There are a few downsides, AAA development has become too slow with big projects taking 4-5 years to make. The cross gen phase for new consoles is too long because publishers don't want to leave money on the table and certain business models like GaaS and f2p have become an excuse to design games not around quality but to try to constantly get money from players.

But in general my opinion is positive.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am 36. I’m actually loving it. I have a lot more complaints than I ever had before, but I’m a lot more satisfied with video games. I’m actually headed to Galloping Ghosts tomorrow night in Illinois. I’m super excited about it. It’s been on my bucket list for years now.

As I’ve aged I see sides of the industry that bug me or turn me off. Then I remind myself that it’s a business with billions of people playing thousands of different games. It makes no difference if I dislike how a company acts. I don’t expect that they feel the exact same way as I do, but it also takes some joy away from enjoying their product. It sucks that the industry would rather give us the middle finger for exploiting their ways than innovate or become something better than they were before. I feel like you have too many cooks in the kitchen cooking the same dish in order to make money.

Last edited:

nivix

Neo Member
I'm 41 and overall I am content. There's always something I enjoy playing. However, I do think everything is a little too corporate conservative these days. I'd like to see a game that is rude, crude, gruesome, sexy, and just downright badass... oh, and throw in quality visuals, good controls, tight gameplay, and an excellent flow.

Fredrik

I'm 57 and can honestly say I've been gaming since pong, because I have. I still love gaming and always will even when I'm back in diapers. The only problem I have with gaming is the media and forums which seem to make console wars toxic. I never cared who makes the hardware because it's really about the games you can play more than who sells the most consoles.
My secret to keep the enjoyment of gaming is to have multiple hobbies, so that you don't burn out. My avatar gives you a little insight to my one of my other hobbies.
Wise words.

I started in the early 80s, so missed the Pong era, but I’ve been loving gaming for about 40 years now, it’s an awesome hobby.

I try to stay out of the most toxic console war discussions. I still think it’s perfectly normal to have a preference though. I’m playing the guitar and I doubt you could find a single guitarist who think Gibson and Fender are equal, I certainly have a preference. Gaming boards are kinda weird in that it’s assumed that everyone could just go out and buy all consoles and a gaming PC and not like one thing over another. But as you say, the media and boards are making it worse, constantly highlighting the exclusive nature of a game or exclusive hardware features on a console, baiting for attention and clicks I assume.

yansolo

34 - no

i feel like ive only played a handful of special games in the last decade, witcher 3 and the dark souls trilogy being the big stand outs, i dont know if im losing my passion for games or if theyre not as good or unique as they used to be, because every time i play something these days i feel like ive played it 10 times before already and just end up getting bored, especially with open world games. Also dont like mtx being in nearly everything at this point, even single player games

gamer82

39 here and glad to see theres still people in my age group gaming away. Myself i have been gaimg less these day i think its just not to many games to my liking and dealing with depression gamings taking a backseat and sometimes feels like a task 😕 i mostly play single player stuff and offline maybe that's my problem .

Shmunter

There’s plenty to play for all tastes, but I think things will be increasingly squeezed towards GaaS. Keenly observing Ubisoft and what happens to Assassins Creed and Division next.

If those titles going into endless service models succeed, expect many more to follow. Dark times ahead.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This poll is ageist.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

samoilaaa

32 years old and to be honest i have been playing more games than i was during my 20's but not more than when i was 10-18 (this was my peak ) , if 2023 will be as good as it looks it might be the best gaming year for me

Last edited:

John Bilbo

30-40

I have some problems with gaming nowadays, but when I stop and think about it gaming as a whole is in a pretty good place.

There are a whole lot different types of games with different scopes and price points. That is good.

The problem with saturation is separating the wheat from the chaff.

Anyways my time is so limited these days I tend to focus only on one game at a time. It is pretty easy to find a one good game to play for a month or two.

nbkicker

Im Heading into my late 40s and been gaming since i was 10 when had a vic 20 in the uk then onto a spectrum, every summer holidays use to love going on holiday as never had a arcade near us, so for a week i use to get to play arcade games id never seen before, then once started working at 16 started with a nes, then snes and megadrive and upto now i have owned every single console and handheld ever produced apart from a xbox one, but dont no if it a age thing or just there just isnt as much variety in the games coming out but not really played anything this yr, although last yr done spiderman remastered on ps4 pro and ps5, miles morales ps4 and ps5, ratchet ps5, sunset overdrive on xbox x, re7 and re village, dirt ps4 and ps5, at min really looking forward to streetfighter 6 but thats next yr, prob play the village dlc

Chronicle

I'm 46. I gamed when I was young on Atari, Nintendo and then the Sega Master System. Not too much though. I didn't start getting g into gaming until my twenties on the PS2. Gaming suddenly became more mature. Better graphics, music and mature subject matter. Some people watch TV, some read books, some watch movies etc. My choice of entertainment is gaming. It's engaging and challenging. This has been a slow start to this gen though. It will pick up.

I'm getting tired of open world though. Looking for more linear experiences and some better multiplayer experiences. I'd kill for Titanfall 3, tlou factions 2 (they might fuck it up) and SOCOM (the goat).

Ladioss

Around 40.
On the fence with the game industry : on one hand we still have plenty of great games, of more or less any genre, aesthetic and budget possible and imaginable.
On the other hand, I think the current trend of hyper concentration is a problem, as such movements always end up hurting capitalism by limiting competition and fragilizing the industry. Also, there is clearly a lack of innovation and risk-taking in the higher end of the market by relying way too much on proven franchises which are past their primes.

And I'm not a gamer. I don't define myself by my hobbies.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
My corporeal avatar has the appearance of a nine year old girl with pink hair and a star shaped facial scar, but I declare unto you sacks of meat and bones that my true form transcends the very boundaries of which you are capable of comprehending with the feeble tools your God has given you. Indeed you are as specks of sand blown about in the wind, and I *am* the wind; unseen, unknowable, only my effects are your limited biological cages capable of seeing. My age? I *am* an age unto myself. Your lives are but the twinkling of a star in the blackened night sky before the eons that I have been traversing the ether, moving pieces about on a cosmic board, pieces so incalculably grandiose and behemoth that it would take one of you an entire lifetime, along with the entire lifetime of your spawn, and furthermore, theirs', just to comprehend the utter impossibility of calculating my scope and reach. Fie, you mortals are-

I'm 31. Wrecking decks and getting sex.

Last edited:
30-40 GAFer here who is happy with the state of gaming. I just got myself a Steam Deck and upgraded to an OLED switch and couldn't be happier. I seem to have trouble figuring out what console to boot up on any given day which is an amazing problem to have. There are just too many good games to play right now and many more that I've missed over the years. Gaming has some AAA stinkers and microtransaction bloodsuckers, but there are so many hidden gems that feel like they belong in a different era. AI Somnium Files is one of those gems I found recently.

Also, Jesus Christ we're old on this site. Is this why I get along with all of you jerks?

Turning 41 in a couple of months (I checked the 40-50 demographic). While I do have some gripes, I'm overall satisfied with current state of gaming.

Lots of variety and options, and gaming has never been cheaper and more accessible. I still have tons of games in my backlog that I'm looking forward to playing. I'm also glad to see the increase in diversity in modern video games. No, I'm not some "SJW", I am just someone who thinks that diversity makes games more interesting and enjoyable.

However, I must say I'm sad to see the recent rise of censorship to many modern titles and modern re-makes of retro titles. While it's nowhere near as bad as the console censorship of the 90's, it's still bothersome to see redesigns that are meant to cater to a small vocal minority (ie "modern sensitivities). Make the censorship optional in the settings/ menu so that everyone can be happy.

CobraAB

Fuck,

Got Atari Pong for Christmas 1975. $100, 10 years old.

Literally started video gaming DAY FUCKING ONE.

Was an Atari guy at first. Had all their consoles and handhelds minus the Atari 5200 but had a Atari 800 computer that was basically the same thing.

Then went Sega with all their consoles and the 32x and Mega CD but did not get their handheld.

Then Sony in which I have owned all the consoles and handhelds and PSVR to boot.

Nintendo? Original Game Boy. That's it,

Microsoft? XBox 360 but that was sort of because it came out before the PS3 and I wanted a HD console to run with my Samsung 56" DLP TV I had at the time.

Have had a couple of other things including a Panasonic 3DO for some reason.

Am considering a Xbox Series S maybe for Game Pass.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

40 to 50.

I don't know it's getting stale tbh but there are games I'm highly anticipating like GoWR.

It feels like it's been the same since PS2/3 with better resolution but maybe there is only sobmuch you can do with it. I do love VR and looking forward to experiences with it but it's still young.

Just went through the gambit and it's amazing how many pixels that can be put on screen. Doenloaded Atari 2600 classics this weekend along with PS1, 2, streamed PS3, and working on Demons Souls which is a gorgeous game.

I still like it don't get me wrong. Just needs to be the right experience to wow me.

my only real problem with gaming currently, is modern iterations not being as good as the previous ones.

(Zelda/Mario/God of War are exempt from this)

But Batman/Uncharted/inFAMOUS/Gears of War/Halo/GTA/COD/BattleField/Fallout/Madden/NBA 2k/Tekken/UFC/WWE. I feel like all these franchises peaked in the 360/PS3 era...and have been on a downward trend in features, gameplay and fun factor ever since.

H . R . 2

my only real problem with gaming currently, is modern iterations not being as good as the previous ones.

(Zelda/Mario/God of War are exempt from this)

But Batman/Uncharted/inFAMOUS/Gears of War/Halo/GTA/COD/BattleField/Fallout/Madden/NBA 2k/Tekken/UFC/WWE. I feel like all these franchises peaked in the 360/PS3 era...and have been on a downward trend in features, gameplay and fun factor ever since.
that has been my experience with EA/Ubi games over the past 5-6 years. the iterations feel like one step forward, 2 steps backward

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I think we’re playing games that just weren’t able to be made at any other time in gaming history. So I am relatively satisfied with the state of gaming in general.

But I think there are some big hitting dark points.

I worry about games with predatory monetisation mechanics. Games like Diablo immortal for example.

I worry about this apparent obsession in the boardrooms of game publishers and some developers to get nft’s into games.

And I worry about gaming discourse. Political preferences have now become joined at the dna level with video games. You can’t have a good, fun, enjoyable conversation anymore without people being c****. Everything from right wing to left wing to misogyny. I struggle to have good conversation anymore.

H . R . 2

I think we’re playing games that just weren’t able to be made at any other time in gaming history. So I am relatively satisfied with the state of gaming in general.

But I think there are some big hitting dark points.

I worry about games with predatory monetisation mechanics. Games like Diablo immortal for example.

I worry about this apparent obsession in the boardrooms of game publishers and some developers to get nft’s into games.

And I worry about gaming discourse. Political preferences have now become joined at the dna level with video games. You can’t have a good, fun, enjoyable conversation anymore without people being c****. Everything from right wing to left wing to misogyny. I struggle to have good conversation anymore.
agreed
it wasn't always like this
studios were not as brazen in their implementation of those mechanics as they are now because we allowed it to happen by letting things slide, by shrugging loot boxes off

Top Bottom