• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you, gamer?

how old are you, dear gamer? and are you satisfied with the state of gaming?

• Total voters

Kuranghi

30-40 yo boyos/girlos represent!

I'm 35 and I can't say we're in the best place every, I do think AAA stuff has dropped off in terms of being revolutionary since 2017ish, but there have still been a bunch of gems (and I still haven't gotten to many supposed gems from 2019+ so maybe I just haven't played the better stuff yet anyway) I absolutely adored playing through like Ghost of Tsushima, my problem is that open world games are too bloated now, I wish they weren't afraid to put out open world games that take max 50 hours to 100% even if you are a massive slowpoke who looks at everything beautiful for 30 seconds before moving on (This is why GoT took me 140+ hours to beat 100% no doubt so I can't blame them entirely :goog_lol:).

Same as Yoshimitsu.

You Got Me GIF by HULU

Rodolink

30-40 yo boyos/girlos represent!

I'm 35 and I can't say we're in the best place every, I do think AAA stuff has dropped off in terms of being revolutionary since 2017ish, but there have still been a bunch of gems (and I still haven't gotten to many supposed gems from 2019+ so maybe I just haven't played the better stuff yet anyway) I absolutely adored playing through like Ghost of Tsushima, my problem is that open world games are too bloated now, I wish they weren't afraid to put out open world games that take max 50 hours to 100% even if you are a massive slowpoke who looks at everything beautiful for 30 seconds before moving on (This is why GoT took me 140+ hours to beat 100% no doubt so I can't blame them entirely :goog_lol:).

You Got Me GIF by HULU
I would also love the return of 20-30 hr linear action, adventure games like old Zeldas, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Silent Hill, now seems everything has to be open world huge generic Unreal5 assets projects.

Nezzeroth

33, soon to be 34.

Unlike my age i'm satisfied with the state of gaming. We've never had so many games available to us. There's games for every moods and tastes out there. It's amazing.
Some stuff could be better but overall, sure.
Same boat here. We literally have more variety than ever before. If you don’t see it is because you’re not looking at the right games or platforms. PC gaming in particular is the best it’s ever been IMO.

Filben

30-40 and generally yes, because there's lot to choose from. There's a lot I don't like about the tendencies and directions gaming and certain companies are heading, but you can always say fuck you and – thanks to an availability that didn't exist 20 odd years ago – always pick other games and companies that are more in line with your expectations.

A.Romero

Didn't think I was part of what it seems to be the largest age group in GAF but I guess it makes sense. The type of discussions that we have here probably are not attractive to the younger crowd.

It also explains why a lot of people complain about GaaS and things like Fortnite are not really big.

Another interesting bit is that despite most people being satisfied with the state of gaming right now, it seems that threads stating precisely the opposite are more common. So more evidence showing some smaller groups tend to be more vocal and radical.

I think I've been around GAF since almost the beginning so it feels kind of nice to grow old together. Cheers, guys.

TheStam

41. I'm quite pleased really. So many games to play even if a lot of stuff don't resonate with me these days. Often I don't feel the urge to play these days compared to 10 years ago, but it's basically a me problem. The Steam Deck has been a godsend, lying in bed gaming after work is what I really needed.

Last edited:

Fredrik

46 - The industry has been too focused on violence for awhile now but otherwise I’m mostly satisfied. I love the new subscription services, long time Gamepass subscriber and just got PS+ Premium today, jumping in on Miles Morales and Returnal tonight.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

40. I'm fine with the industry. Mxt is out of control but these companies reap what they sow. Ea doesn't care that I don't pay for Mxt cause they get billions but I can make a conscious effort to avoid those companies.

Fuck bin salaam and the sauds though. I definitely draw the line at supporting horrible people like him. Owning a switch and ps5 I cant do anything about Foxconn having atrocious working conditions but I can boycott snk. If they get a board seat at embracer or Capcom then I'll have to reexamine my purchasing habits.

Last edited:
I'll be 41 on next Monday, and overall I don't mind what gaming has become.

I still have enough games I enjoy to satisfy me, I mostly avoid MTX-ridden and P2W crap (and when I do play them, I never pay a single cent), there's still enough good stuff out there to not bother with that bullshit - for now.

Ellery

Overall I am satisfied with the state of gaming for the last 8-10 years or so.

The most happy I am with the quality and creativity of indie games. We have so many great indie games at a fair price and most of the good indies are a lot better than many 3rd Party AAA games that are being rushed out.
The second thing that is amazing is the connectivity and accessibility. It is so easy to play multiplayer or coop games nowadays on any platform.
PC gaming has never looked better. Basically everything is on PC now besides the most prestigious Nintendo exclusives and a few PS ones. The options, customizability and quality/performance of PC ports is great. Sure there are still a few bad ones out there, but many PC ports have looked absolutely fantastic whether it is Death Stranding, God of War, Forza, Halo, Days Gone, Red Dead Redemption 2 and many more. And next PC is getting TLOU Remake. They even announced it at the same time as the PS5 version. Absolutely wonderful time to be a PC gamer.
The absolute gigachad masterpiece games are back on the menu. Whether it is BOTW, TLOU2, God of War or Elden Ring. Those are legit 10/10 games in the AAA landscape that we probably couldn't have dreamt of 15 years ago.
Modern day CAPCOM is revitalized. Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter World, Rise, RE2,3,4 Remake, RE7,8 and much more. They are currently delivering. Love to see it.
Gaming Hardware is very powerful and we have never had more variety and customizability.

Well the negatives have been mentioned a lot here. Basically if you sum the negatives up it is : capitalism and greed. Many great studios/publishers have fallen from grace in the pursuit of generating short term money.

Sure there are a lot of things I'd like to change in the gaming industry, but overall I am pretty happy with where we are. Always room for improvement though.

I'll be 41 on next Monday, and overall I don't mind what gaming has become.

I still have enough games I enjoy to satisfy me, I mostly avoid MTX-ridden and P2W crap (and when I do play them, I never pay a single cent), there's still enough good stuff out there to not bother with that bullshit - for now.
Hey only a few days left.In advance happy birthday health happiness success and luck for you and your love ones

Daytonabot

Banned
45. I voted no, though I keep pouring money in for now. Reasons for my dissatisfaction include:
  • Epic Game Store paying to remove consumer choice
  • Epic Online Services being added after the fact to games already purchased
  • Localizers changing the original artists' intent
  • Corporate virtue signaling (rainbow Sega nauseates me)
  • Games being released unfinished
  • The line between artist and art being blurred by social media
  • Games as a Service, especially in the vintage context, e.g., NSO vs. Virtual Console
  • Cloud gaming potentially becoming mandatory or stealing exclusives

Muffdraul

53. Waaaaay more "selective" and "focused" as to which games I play than I ever was before. I've never been stuck in the past, never gave a shit about indie throwbacks and such. My favorite thing about video games has been watching them grow and evolve over time. That evolution has sprawled all over the place, there are so many games that don't interest me in the slightest and I wouldn't touch them with a 100 ft pole. But the games that do entice me, to me those are literally the best games ever made, up to this point in time.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I'm 55 and still gaming and counting, although i wasn't an 80's original, i never got into it until early 90's Amiga then PC and i voted no, i'm not happy with the current state of gaming, anything but.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
41 here and I put no. I’m not truly dissatisfied, I’m just tired of the waiting is all.

Also, I need more time to play but that isn’t gaming fault!

Lux R7

53. Waaaaay more "selective" and "focused" as to which games I play than I ever was before. I've never been stuck in the past, never gave a shit about indie throwbacks and such. My favorite thing about video games has been watching them grow and evolve over time. That evolution has sprawled all over the place, there are so many games that don't interest me in the slightest and I wouldn't touch them with a 100 ft pole. But the games that do entice me, to me those are literally the best games ever made, up to this point in time.

this is basically me but i'm 35.

Haggard

Banned
38 I'm getting nervous that it'll not live to see the state of tech I've been dreaming about since the NES....I mean we're still at 99% static scenery with at best 2-3 shadow throwing lighting sources. Everything got really pretty but it's still all so static.....

I hate most games but I like a select few, so ultimately I'm satisfied. I ain't even got the time to play all that I want to, we just had Elden Ring this year an absolute banger. These days if I play something and I'm not really into it I'll drop it way faster than I would in the past.

I'm still the target audience for a lot of top tier AAA games even if I'm clearly not the target audience for most GaaS. I can't wait to play God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, TLoU Factions, Zelda BoTW2, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, Baldur's Gate 3 not to mention all the unannounced or unexpected smaller hits we'll have in the upcoming years.

I'm not counting the days until Forspoken, TLoU Part I, Callisto Protocol and Stray but I'm intrigued could end and up getting them on release depending on how they review/look.

I also couldn't be more hyped for the next generation of VR.

Anything that relies on daily quest, battle passes, skins, unlockables, etc, to keep you hooked is repugnant to me, burn it with fire.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm 37 and pretty much done with gaming. The only games I play now are older Total War games. Even then I'm spending probably an hour or two a week.

Modern gaming doesn't do it for me anymore. I just don't enjoy as I used to. I said that this could be the year I give up gaming for good, and I actually believe this will be the case. I thought maybe a few big hitters like Elden Ring would pull be back in, but it hasn't at all.

However, that doesn't mean that gaming has gotten worse. It's me who's changed and gaming just isn't the hobby for me anymore.

HercRaato

50+ There are lots of games and trends I don't care for, but after living through the Atari crash. I think there is something for everyone out there. If gaming never made another game I want to play my backlog would carry me through to the grave. So I voted yes.
All this doom and gloom is overreaction.

Hey all 17 of my fellow 20 smths...how yall doing?

Seeing people nearly 20 years older than me still so engaged in gaming genuinely makes me happy. Knowing my favorite hobby will continue to be something I can do as I age is great. I knew it but don't know any real older gamers in my life.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

I'm 45 and have been a console gamer my whole life. I am very happy with the state of gaming and am always excited to see what is next!

I consider it an embarrassment of riches to have all 3 current consoles and a ridiculous amount of great games with plenty of variety to always keep it fresh.

I am also very grateful to all the people working so hard to make the games we all enjoy and take for granted.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
42 years old. No, I'm not satisfied with the state of modern gaming. Am absolutely bewildered by all this 'NFT', 'loot box' and 'season pass' stuff. I haven't a clue what all these fortnite and roguelike references to games mean and I have no interest whatsoever on the rabid emphasis of multi-player in gaming. 200 hour long games need chucking in the bin too. Who the hell has time to play those games?

This.

I love RPGs. Western, Japanese, other - I don’t mind getting lost in a game for hundreds of hours, but that is under the assumption that there is an actual WORLD to get lost in. So many games like Horizon, anything from Ubisoft, and more - they are padded out, bloated messes that feel more like Collecathons than they do actual open world rpgs. Its fucking miserable.

OZ9000

Banned

I hate the emphasis on live service gaming and every multiplayer game being a copy cat of each other.

Also, the woke garbage that seems to perpetuate the industry is also ruining experiences.

Furthermore, far too many game devs are giving us cookie cutter Ubisoft open world experiences. Who really wants to play a 50 hour shit fest?

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Guess I’m in the majority , 35 and yes I’m satisfied. Gaming has never been so available nowadays , you get PlayStation games on PC , Xbox exclusives released simultaneously on PC , endless of AA and indies supplies , Switch and PS3 emulators getting more and more matured and so on.

If anything , there will never be enough time for more gaming time.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Gaming would be shit if i would read twitter and every negative nothing burger industry thread on the gaming page. Whining. Complaining. Frustration. Outrage (lol).

Have some insight why you feel the way you do.

And don't start with everything was better 20+ years ago. Shit's changes. And there are more than enough venues to revisit and even play those games you feel were from the golden age.

Again ignore this manufactured negativity and focus on the good things

Top Bottom