• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many Game Pass subscribers will there be in 2030?

How many?

• It will be dead

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • 10 million or less

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 20 million

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 30 million

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 40 million

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • 50 million

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • 60 million

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 70 million

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 80 million

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 90 million or more

Votes: 29 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game Pass has been on the market for about three years now and has gathered 10+ million subscribers at this point. It's a pretty good number, but subscriptions have also been heavily subsidized by Microsoft, and the assumption is that they are taking significant losses at the moment. For comparison, PS Now was at 2.2 million subscribers in April.

xCloud has also recently launched on Android so it's now possible to stream all Game Pass games on mobile, and presumably streaming will eventually be available on all devices that allow it. Will this greatly expand the audience or do you think that people who are interested in these kinds of games already own a console?

If you do the math it gone to be 40 million if it stay at the same pace it growing which is 10 million subscribers ever 3 years cause since Gamepass was announce in 2017 it was reveal to have 10 million subscribers by 2020 so if you add 10 million subscribers ever 3 years by 2030 it will be 40 million plus.

Bridges

It's tough to say. I think it will really depend on if people that don't own an Xbox think Ultimate is worth it for xCloud.

lachesis

I don’t think it will be anything similar to what we have now. Probably called something else with newer features thats feaseable at that time - could be 100% platform free service or whatnot.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
In 2030 it probably won't be "Game Pass". You'll probably just have an "Xbox Subscription" or some shit and it'll be almost universal across everyone who streams the games directly to some dongle they play into their TV.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

lndovIF.gif

Greeno

In 2030 it probably won't be "Game Pass". You'll probably just have an "Xbox Subscription" or some shit and it'll be almost universal across everyone who streams the games directly to some dongle they play into their TV.
Do you really think they will drop "GamePass" and not "Xbox"? "GamePass" is just too good of a name to drop, it is like "Netflix". Easy on the tongue and easily marketable.

Spokker

A lot of people, myself included, are riding high on gamepass due to the fact that we filled up on the subscription until 2021 very cheaply.

I still haven't decided if I would pay the full monthly fee for it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you really think they will drop "GamePass" and not "Xbox"? "GamePass" is just too good of a name to drop, it is like "Netflix". Easy on the tongue and easily marketable.

Either or. I can imagine people having an "Xbox subscription" in 2030. You got Xbox bro? Yeah bro, new games on Xbox. Game Pass is still part of Xbox, it's just the extra part.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seriously hate to revive this thread, but 43% think gp will be dead in 2030? Really?
I wonder if they might change thier vote now that we are at 18 million.

Stuart360

Seriously hate to revive this thread, but 43% think gp will be dead in 2030? Really?
To be fair it will probably be called something different by then, and offer more than it does at the moment. Obviously the principle of an Xbox subscription service will still be alive.
I picked 70mil, as i'm expecting 50mil by the end of this gen as it is.

I'm really bullish on Microsoft's long term vision here. They want to provide a true Netflix for gaming, you'd have a huge portfolio of games you can play on literally any device you own for a reasonable monthly fee. By 2030 the portfolio should be full of nice first party games. And the technical limitations of streaming (low bandwith, low volume, high latency) should also be solved by then.

martino

lot of things not directly related to gaming impacting will happen by then...
i don't really know how things will be but i also don't think business as usual like we know it will last until that date
So i vote dead because it will disappear or be something else (but same apply for all competion too)

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that the first responders to polls tend to be... special. If there had been more votes I think it would look different as the results can sometimes change dramatically later on.

Topher

Gold Member
The gaming industry overall has been bolstered by an increased presence in the home the past year due to the pandemic. Game Pass as well. So the question to me is whether this growth will continue if/when the world starts venturing outside the home again for entertainment. Beyond that, the key to Game Pass is going to be mobile subscribers. Microsoft isn't making a lot of money off of Game Pass. So if the margins are not good then the volume needs to make up for it. The question in my mind is whether mobile gamers really want AAA console games on their phones. Not so sure, but that's the difference between Game Pass tapping out at, let's say, 30 million and reaching over 100 million.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Threw in a guess at 40 million. I suspect more will dip in and dip out and I think there might be some subscription managing service or App that helps facilitate that. FFS we have GamePass, Ubisoft + , Netflix, HBO, Disney, Paramount, Hulu, Amazon ( hard to cancel due to other benefits) , etc. People might not want to be subbed to all, all of the time, but will want to rotate, get their temporary fill and then move to another service for a little while. At least they will want to do that if they want to save a couple hundred bucks each year.

Mattyp

Gold Member
GP is a money sink for MS, that shit wont survive for that long. It will burst soner or later.

Can I have access to the accounting documents you managed to get hold of for the personal computing division so I can make an educated decision on my shares.

Cheers,

Three

They actually got rid of the word xbox in favour of gamepass. I don't think they will go back to "xbox" otherwise they would have got rid of Gamepass instead.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that will be very big by then

And I think that Steam will launch at least something close to it. Not the entire library, but a massive one. We will compare it to Netflix, while Game Pass will be the Prime Video of gaming

Once they acquire Sega next Wednesday it will cause a cascade effect and subscriber counts will multiply tenfold in a single year.

Serious note, if they can get deliver Gamepass on smart TVs and other devices with decent performance levels I could see the service really taking off.

Top Bottom