• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Detective Pikachu can turn out to be a good movie

Do you think the Detective Pikachu movie will turn out to be good ?

• Total voters

Raph64

( This thread is guaranteed to be quite of a long read to go through, you’ve been warned ! Nevertheless, sorry if I haven’t post any threads in a while, hope you’ll enjoy ! ;) )

MV5BNDU4Mzc3NzE5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzE1NzI1NzM@._V1_.jpg

We are now one month ahead already from one of the biggest releases in the movie theaters this year, and not just any movie. As we are talking of another movie adaptation of a videogame after the recent Tomb Raider reboot. The videogame in question this time : Pokémon: Detective Pikachu.

You may be thinking « another Pokémon movie ? « , and yes while it is certainly not the first time that Pokémon has been adapted into a feature film ( there have been countless of animated feature films aside from the ever-lasting anime series ), it is the first ever Pokémon movie to feature both animation and live-action elements in one same movie. That’s right, we’re going Who Framed Roger Rabbit now, boys. And this is what makes such an unusual and nevertheless exciting movie to look forward to. Because Detective Pikachu clearly does look unlike any other Pokémon movie so far. While the movie itself is based on a spin-off game title of the same name released on 3DS, Detective Pikachu stands out as one of the oddest games that possibly exists on Earth that deserved to have its own movie but turns out that the Detective Pikachu movie that no one ever asked for might turn out to be a pleasant surprise and a potentially huge box-office contender for 2019.

Let’s be real, I’m super hyped for this movie to come out for the reasons that, as someone who’s not really a huge fan of Pokémon, I’ve never really understood the appeal of the franchise, especially among adults ( I respect your tastes, though ). The Detective Pikachu movie however, when the first trailer came out, feels like a breath of fresh air. I feel like it has everything I’ve ever wanted coming from Pokémon. I’m honestly glad they seem to be taking a more mature Ted-like approach regarding the universe as a whole, wherever this reflects in the live-action designs of the Pokémon creatures or in the movie plot that looks like a cheesy good buddy-movie à la Roger Rabbit. To be honest, I want to see more hybrid movies like this in the future ( and no, The Sonic movie doesn’t count ) and, as someone who felt that Ready Player One was such a huge letdown, albeit both movies being completely different, Detective Pikachu looks like the hybrid movie done right. It would be really interesting to see how the humans will interact with the Pokémon, this feels like the relation between Tim and Pikachu could end up living to something near the unprecedented relationship between Roger Rabbit and Eddie Valiant.

And when Ryan Reynolds ( a.k.a Deadpool ) is playing as a talking Pikachu who’s addicted to caffeine and goes on to curse the H-bomb, you know it’s gonna be good honestly.

Ever since the release of the odd Super Mario Bros live-action movie almost 30 years ago, Hollywood never seemed to have found the right formula of bringing beloved gaming franchises to the big screen by living it up to the original source material. Over the years, we’ve seen the nauseating movie adaptations directed by Uwe Boll ( FarCry, Alone in the Dark, House of the Dead, among others ), the Tomb Raider movies with Angeline Jolie, the Prince of Persia movie, Assassin’s Creed with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard, the Angry Birds Movie ( which I personally really enjoyed watching and look forward to the sequel this year ), and less game-specific based movies that were more ( Wreck-It Ralph, the sequel less ) or less ( Pixels ) good. As a whole, Hollywood has for years failed to release a « good « movie adaptation of a videogame.

But what if Detective Pikachu might actually turn out to be good, and maybe even more than that ? Judging by the trailers, it’s undeniable that there seems to be a lot of production value put into the movie. First of all, the movie for reminder is directed by Goosebumps and Monsters Vs. Aliens director Rob Letterman, this shows that the director hired for the movie has at least some experience in the industry. Second of all, a lot of notable actors will star in the movie such as Ken Watanabe, musician Rita Ora, and obviously, Ryan Reynolds as the titular role, they sure got some credible actors up their sleeves for what’s just supposed to be a movie based on a videogame. Third of all, the story, while it seems to be loosely based on the original game’s plot, seems to have potential and could turn out to be a fun watch, especially with all the potential skits between Justice Smith and Ryan Reynolds and others that could happen throughout the movie, the encounter with Mr. Mime definitely comes out in mind as one such example.

And finally, it seems like Nintendo has finally learned from their mistakes with the Super Mario Bros movie : to make a faithful and coherent adaptation of a popular videogame that lives up to the interest of the original game. While Detective Pikachu definitely has established its little fanbase alongside gamers, the fact that a feature film based on it was in the works was initially met with skepticism ( myself included ), however since the trailers went online, it seems like mostly everyone agrees for once that Detective Pikachu is finally going to be the first ever « decent « ( at least ) movie adaptation of a videogame. I know what I’m saying, because in my honest opinion, I’m surprised at how good the movie looks to be, to me anyway. So I have high hopes for this, and I’ll for sure see this as soon as I see a screening available in my local theater !

If you haven’t watched the trailers already and you want to start making yourself a rough opinion, or if you just want to listen to The Turtles or Bonnie Taylor, you can do it now !

How about you GAF ? What do you think so far of the movie ? Does it look good to you or not ? Will you be there in the theaters or will you wait until the movie hits streaming services in order to see it ? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

Also if you liked my thoughts on the movie and would like to see opinions like this coming from me more often, feel free to like this thread. I would really appreciate it a lot !

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I've already stopped watching trailers because I know I'm seeing this in the theater as soon as possible and don't want to be spoiled.

Raph64

I've already stopped watching trailers because I know I'm seeing this in the theater as soon as possible and don't want to be spoiled.

Same. I remember having spoiled myself to the brink of death Ready Player One before the movie even released.

Won’t commit the same mistakes ever again !

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The game was excellent. If the movie captures just a whiff of the humor and earnestness of the game, it'll be a good movie.

However, I already have one major gripe: Detective Pikachu in the game was a good hard-boiled detective. There are some funny scenes where he is unwittingly the butt of the joke, but Pikachu is rarely joking and making wisecracks. He was truly a competent detective and was a positive character who trusted in the process of investigation. The coffee obsession is offset by Pikachu's in-depth knowledge about coffee. He comes across as an enthusiast, not a crack-addict. There are dozens of lines of voiced dialogue about coffee in the game and about Pikachu's investigation philosophy, entirely optional for the player:

Ryan Reynolds Pikachu seems like a very different character, based on the trailer. He is self-deprecating, clumsy, and is cracking jokes all the time. His coffee addiction is a joke, not a chance to glimpse Pikachu's intelligence.

I dunno. Maybe it will be great, but I don't like how they handled Pikachu's personality (from what I can tell in trailers, admittedly). It's a total mismatch, IMO.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
I kinda hate the main guy. Poor choice of cast. Why did they chose this guy? I don’t get it. He is horrible.

If it's fun it will be good. Maybe a 80% on Rotten Tomatoes?

It will not be a masterpiece by any means, it's kinda impossible with that premise.

Codes 208

I think it’ll do fine. Ever since that teaser earlier today showing off some of the Pokémon models, that’s all everyone I know is talking about. (More particularly how fucking creepy Psyduck looks.)

Hanon

Banned
the fart joke in one of the recent trailers, is a clear warning sigh for me to think the movie will be bad.

Antoon

Banned
I sense some levels of SJW in this (the main lead is African/mixed unlike the original game), so my guess is a 60-70% at best.

PaulBizkit

THANK GOD danny devito wasn't cast as pikachu, Ryan Reynolds is a perfect fit for getting those juicy not-childish points for the movie. Just saying "pikachu's voice is deadpool" makes this movie sound a whole lot cooler

The Hermit

Easily the best game to movie adaptation ever.

Not that the bar is that high though...

That being said I wanna watch it day 1.

The Hermit

I sense some levels of SJW in this (the main lead is African/mixed unlike the original game), so my guess is a 60-70% at best.

Every movie is like that ( main character looks very American to me, as a foreigner).

The fact that it has some funny jokes ( "you are adorable") makes it less prone to leftist influence, since they hate comedy.

Zannegan

It just has to be fun and filled with enough nods to make fans happy without being slavishly devoted to canon accuracy... in other words, follow the Marvel formula I guess.

Antoon

Banned
Every movie is like that ( main character looks very American to me, as a foreigner).

The fact that it has some funny jokes ( "you are adorable") makes it less prone to leftist influence, since they hate comedy.
Every movie is replacing the race of the main character, just because teh diversity?

So one good thing has come from the Sonic trailer, and that is Grace Randolph, while reacting to it, mentions she has seen Detective Pikachu and it’s “awfully good.” She says it’s “an intoxicating mix between Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Blade Runner.”

I can’t wait

Those comments are near beginning of this video

Last edited:
If this turns out to be good, then I think it could show that a video-based movie doesn't have to take everything from the source material as some people on this forum had mentioned. All this movie has taken from the source material so far is the Pokemon and that's about it as far as I can see.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
If this turns out to be good, then I think it could show that a video-based movie doesn't have to take everything from the source material as some people on this forum had mentioned. All this movie has taken from the source material so far is the Pokemon and that's about it as far as I can see.

Well... if you're looking at "Pokémon" as in the anime, you're right.
If you're looking at the "Detective Pikachu" Nintendo 3DS game, they took pretty much from the game and designed it for an older/wider audience.
I hope this movie will be awesome, everything we've seen so far is just soooo good.

Codes 208

Well technically it’s a direct tie-in to the game Detective Pikachu (which also had Ryan Reynolds voice pikachu) so it’s closer to the source material than one would think.

mcjmetroid

Question is can it topple the current videogame movie champions. Street Fighter 2:animated movie, professor Layton and the eternal diva and Mortal Kombat.

These are the only ones I've seen I'd consider great.

Top Bottom