• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are Nintendo and Sony going to cram the hardware into their machines?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Revolution == 65-nanometer chips?

As for Sony, I don't see the problem as the thing looks to give 360 a run for biggest console. Has it been confirmed that the PS3's psu is internal or not?

Cosmozone

Oblivion said:
I keep hearing that lingo. But what does it mean?
It refers to the manufacturing process of IC's (computer chips). In short, 65nm is packing the same stuff in less space (or more stuff in the same space) than the traditional 90nm process. Benefits are smaller size for the same power as well as lower power consumption and therefore also less heat.

Wikipedia can help you more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65_nanometer

element said:
That has to be the stupidest thing I've read. You think that they didn't want to condense the board? You think they wanted it bigger? Come on now. The board layout was developed with help from ATI, IBM, and MS new silicon group in San Francisco. So I would expect them to know how to make it smaller. The board itself is far superior in layout compared to the Xbox mobo.

No I don't making things small cost money, if they don't have to make it small they aren't going to again MS isn't the type of company that has the smaller is better mentality

can we fit PCs into a much smaller case then most towers are doesn't mean that everyone designs them that way

personally when I build a PC I get a case that's big and roomy so I have room to work in there

hardware doesn't have to be made smaller, the Xbox360 isn't smaller, not because they couldn't make it smaller, but because they didn't want it to be smaller

really this isn't a hard concept it's about as easy as 2+2=4 and 2+3=5 i don't see why you're having such a hard time wrapping your head around it

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Cosmozone said:
It refers to the manufacturing process of IC's (computer chips). In short, 65nm is packing the same stuff in less space (or more stuff in the same space) than the traditional 90nm process. Benefits are smaller size for the same power as well as lower power consumption and therefore also less heat.

Wikipedia can help you more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65_nanometer

Ah, sweet. Thanks, dude.

element

not because they couldn't make it smaller, but because they didn't want it to be smaller
And you know this how? Oh yeah, American like big things, Japanese like small things. Forgot there was science behind this.

I'm still just lost why people bring up PC stuff with MS, when MS builds software for PCs. Yet Sony makes computers, and builds them just like every other company on the planet. I've got a lot of wasted space in my Sony TV.

element said:
And you know this how? Oh yeah, American like big things, Japanese like small things. Forgot there was science behind this.

I'm still just lost why people bring up PC stuff with MS, when MS builds software for PCs. Yet Sony makes computers, and builds them just like every other company on the planet. I've got a lot of wasted space in my Sony TV.

yes part of it is the differences in one society and the other but other than that the difference is in how the companies want to spend their money

making things smaller especially newer computer tech costs MONEY, maybe MS put that money into Backwards compatibility instead of making the system smaller, there's alot of thins they could have done which would have been pretty easy to shrink the system but they didnt, which speaks volumes to me that they didn't want to make as small as system as possible

the original Xbox could have been alot smaller than it was if they really wanted it to be, and the same goes for the 360

just because something can be smaller doesn't mean companies are going to make everything that way, people bring up PCs because honestly 99% of the PCs out there could be shrank down and fit into a laptop or micro pc case, but not all of them are because not everyone wants that

this really isn't that hard dude

not everything in the computer world is designed to be as tiny as possible

element

the original Xbox could have been alot smaller than it was if they really wanted it to be, and the same goes for the 360
Actually MS had issues allowing them to make the thing smaller. One being that they didn't own the IPs for the CPU or GPU. So pretty much they had to take what Nvidia and Intel would give them. This didn't allow them to look for better ways to bring size down. Where PS2, all the chips were owned by Sony and could be redesigned. MS learned that was a huge mistake and now owns the IPs for the CPU and GPU in Xbox 360.

element said:
Actually MS had issues allowing them to make the thing smaller. One being that they didn't own the IPs for the CPU or GPU. So pretty much they had to take what Nvidia and Intel would give them. This didn't allow them to look for better ways to bring size down. Where PS2, all the chips were owned by Sony and could be redesigned. MS learned that was a huge mistake and now owns the IPs for the CPU and GPU in Xbox 360.

yeah that's a BS excuse because while they didn't own the IPs they could have still ORDERED smaller chips, there's also the fact that they could have gone with a laptop style DVD drive and hard drive which would have shrunk the Xbox big time, it would have been probably as thin or thinner than the original PS2, but they didn't because they really didn't care about the system being small

Nvidia knows how to shrink chips, they have and had at the time Mobile video cards based on the Geforce line, if MS really wanted the chip shrunk so the system would be smaller Nvidia could have done it, and hell Intel had portable penitum 733 chips when the xbox came out so there you go theres another way the system could have been smaller, but they ordered the celerons instead, really MS had choices it could have made to make the system smaller and it decided not, not that Nvidia, Intel, and MS combined couldn't make it happen

element said:
Poor planning essentially.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
xexex said:
it'd be sweet if Revolution chips could be launched on 65nm
Legend is that if you quote something enough times on the internet... it comes true.

WindyMan

Shin Johnpv said:
yeah that's a BS excuse because while they didn't own the IPs they could have still ORDERED smaller chips, there's also the fact that they could have gone with a laptop style DVD drive and hard drive which would have shrunk the Xbox big time, it would have been probably as thin or thinner than the original PS2, but they didn't because they really didn't care about the system being small

Nvidia knows how to shrink chips, they have and had at the time Mobile video cards based on the Geforce line, if MS really wanted the chip shrunk so the system would be smaller Nvidia could have done it, and hell Intel had portable penitum 733 chips when the xbox came out so there you go theres another way the system could have been smaller, but they ordered the celerons instead, really MS had choices it could have made to make the system smaller and it decided not, not that Nvidia, Intel, and MS combined couldn't make it happen

If they really wanted to do it and order the chips like you said they could have, then the original Xbox would have come out in 2002. Microsoft came into the console realm wanting to take out Sony, so they needed to get a viable system out onto the market as soon as possible. They couldn't sit around for an extra 6-12 months and wait for a custom chip, so they had to take whatever was around and put it in a respectable form factor.

With all the time they've had to get the Xbox 360 designed, you can see the difference between a system that had a a few years of design go into it and a system that was thrown together at pretty much the last minute.

element said:
Heat does not give two shits if your American or Japanese, and since NVIDIA is making the GPU for the PS3, and IBM designed the CPU for all three consoles I would expect the chipsets to perform in heat distribution somewhat similar. Due to the size of the systems, if any of them have an internal PSU I'll be SHOCKED, just because of the amount of watts needed to power what is inside. This are systems that can be powered by 20 watts anymore. Xbox 360 has a 254w PSU, and PS3 should be similar.

More importantly, the Xbox 360 sucks up 5 amps of current. If we hook up more than two of them onto the same power strip at work, we'll blow a fuse. Having your TV, game system, stereo system and other stuff all plugged in and on at the same time is very bad, and will only get worse if the PS3 requires more current to keep running.

I'm extremely pleased that Nintendo wants to keep the power consumption down. Also because they want it quiet. We're plugging in a lot of stuff and probably taking it for granted, and stuff that sucks up that much power isn't helping.

element

because while they didn't own the IPs they could have still ORDERED smaller chips
Not if Nvidia or Intel won't make them smaller. Since MS didn't own the chips they had to work with one company. Where Sony or Nintendo who owned the IPs could just shop the design to the cheapest fab plant, as well as reduce size or go to a different chip size all together.
hell Intel had portable penitum 733 chips when the xbox came out
The Xbox CPU is a mobile chipset. It is a hybrid chip with the core of a mobile chip at that speed with L2 cache from the celeron line.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
WindyMan said:
I'm extremely pleased that Nintendo wants to keep the power consumption down. Also because they want it quiet. We're plugging in a lot of stuff and probably taking it for granted, and stuff that sucks up that much power isn't helping.
Yes, I think a lot of people will be surprised about their next electricity bill. In that way the 360 is a really really really bad entertainment hub that is meant to be on all the time. Keeping that thing running just to listen to mp3s/cds or watch a dvd is seriously wasteful.

HokieJoe

Color me suprised if the 360 draws more amperage than my PC with two 7200rpm hard drives, a CDRW, and DVD-RW in there. That doesn't even count the Athlon64, and 6800GT.

VNZ

element said:
If Sony has all this talent of making things small, why is the Vaio line just as large as HP or Dell machines?
vaio-x505-i2.gif

xsarien

daedsiluap
element said:

There is a certain psychology behind industrial design, you know. Case in point: The Gamecube's rather...lukewarm reception on its looks alone.

Anyway, ignoring for a moment the fact that most computers are usually within a certain size because of motherboard standards, also realize that you answered the question yourself: How much of a Vaio's guts does Sony really own?

I think, if the Gamecube and PS2/PSTwo have proven one thing, it's that Sony and Nintendo have gotten hardware design down to an art form. Owning IPs is one thing, you also need the experience to back it up. But I suppose Microsoft can buy that like they do everything else. ;)

cvxfreak

kpop100 said:
they could have tried to make it an even smaller cube ;)

That, although using 4 WaveBirds would be very difficult.

I think Nintendo would be better off releasing a small GC the approximate size of the Revolution like how they did with the micro. I don't think Nintendo particularly cares for names these days, since the micro doesn't use the Advance name but ONLY plays GBA games.

CVXFREAK said:
The problem is, Vaios are more expensive. The Revolution is supposed to be cheaper.
As has been stated before, the GameCube is smaller and cheaper, yet comparable to the Xbox. It does happen that sometimes smaller things end up being cheaper. Size does not always equal cost. I know it's an old example, but it's important to note.

Top Bottom