• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are Nintendo and Sony going to cram the hardware into their machines?

element

So looking at the Xbox 360 board layout and airflow, as well as various computers on the market today, I am just baffled how Sony and Nintendo are going to fit their hardware into the form factors they have shown to the public.

PS3 appears to have some serious airflow issues from the form factor that has been shown, and the revolution just seems almost impossible to fit what rumors are floating around for hardware. Hell it isn't much larger then my portable USB HDD.

Triumph

Banned
Nintendo is going to use the souls of newborn kittens and baby harp seals to power the Revolution. This is KNOWN.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
1) More time, maybe different processes.
2) Heatsink on the gpu is pretty tiny, the one on the cpu is huge. Why they felt the need to go with 3 3 ghz cpu cores when apple has to go to extreme measures cooling 2 2.5 ghz G5 cpus is beyond me.
3) Historical evidence: Gamecube vs. XBox.
4) There are some really friggin fast laptops out there with 7800 gpus in them.

can't think of more

Sony will probably add more vents in PS3, they already made one minor change at Playstation Party (I think the surface in now less curvy)

element

There are some really friggin fast laptops out there with 7800 gpus in them
Those are 7800 Go chipset, not 7800 GTS or GS. Far different performance.
duh, because they're japanese companies

japanese people sure know how to make things smaller and better
And you think MS didn't hire or at least consult some of the best electronic-engineering minds in the world with Xbox 360?
Heatsink on the gpu is pretty tiny, the one on the cpu is huge. Why they felt the need to go with 3 3 ghz cpu cores when apple has to go to extreme measures cooling 2 2.5 ghz G5 cpus is beyond me.
Both Sony, Nintendo, and MS are getting CPUs based on similar core systems. So what we get with Xbox 360 in terms of heat is what should be expected with PS3 and Revolution, unless either go to 65mm or Revolution has slower CPU.

M3wThr33

Banned
element said:
And you think MS didn't hire or at least consult some of the best electronic-engineering minds in the world with Xbox 360?
Well, I'm sure they consulted those same minds for the off-the-shelf parts of the original clunker.

Izzy

Banned
element said:
So looking at the Xbox 360 board layout and airflow, as well as various computers on the market today, I am just baffled how Sony and Nintendo are going to fit their hardware into the form factors they have shown to the public.

PS3 appears to have some serious airflow issues from the form factor that has been shown, and the revolution just seems almost impossible to fit what rumors are floating around for hardware. Hell it isn't much larger then my portable USB HDD.

They will cut the specs until they fit the projected 'form factors'.

stone128

Nintendo will pull it off, they always produce reliable hardware.

Going by the two iterations we've had of the ps brand, Sony'll do pretty good too. Might be some stubborn first batch consoles, but nothing too bad :)

element

CVXFREAK said:
They certainly didn't with the original. ;)
no one is denying that. MS went with a cheap and easy solution with the hardware with Xbox. With Xbox 360 they have far different possiblities, just for the fact that they own the IP on both the CPU and GPU opens up tons of doors in terms of manufacturing costs.

jman2050

element said:
Both Sony, Nintendo, and MS are getting CPUs based on similar core systems. So what we get with Xbox 360 in terms of heat is what should be expected with PS3 and Revolution, unless either go to 65mm or Revolution has slower CPU.

I'm almost positive MS wasn't aiming for 'smallest' nearly as much as they were aiming for 'sleekest' or 'coolest'. The fact that they failed on all 3 accounts notwithstanding, the size of the Xbox360 doesn't really neccesitate Sony and Nintendo having to scale back to fit their supposed formfactors.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
element said:
I think the rev's cpu will be slower and have at least one less core. I think this will make quite a difference.

As for the gpu, maybe they make it broader but clock it slower? I don't know what difference in heat that would make though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If you look at the GC, the top loading drive and the serial ports on the bottom of the system take up about halfof the actual shell. the Rev isn't really that much smaller than what's left.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
elostyle said:
I think the rev's cpu will be slower and have at least one less core. I think this will make quite a difference.

As for the gpu, maybe they make it broader but clock it slower? I don't know what difference in heat that would make though.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rev has more RAM.

cvxfreak

I wonder why Nintendo never released a redesign for the GC. Certainly would have helped sell a few extra systems. The PStwo makes it lose perhaps the only advantage it had.

Rlan

Look at the PStwo. Bloody small, and the Revolution is, what, twice as tall? Hell, the original PS2 is fillled with a LOT of AIR. Same with the PSX. Not having a top loading OR side opening drive will make the whole thing have less gears too.

element said:
judgiing from what I heard here and on other forums....
no, doesn't look like they paid much attention

Shompola

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
If you look at the GC, the top loading drive and the serial ports on the bottom of the system take up about halfof the actual shell. the Rev isn't really that much smaller than what's left.

The HDD and dvd drives on the xbox are taking up a huge chunk aswell.

And adding more vents to the PS3 is not going to help if a lot of people fail to understand that the consoles need some space around them to ventilate properly.

No6

elostyle said:
3) Historical evidence: Gamecube vs. XBox.
Meaningless. The xbox was rushed into production using off the shelf parts and had an internal hdd and PSU. The 360 was not and does not.

Mihail

Banned
Well Nintendo said the Rev. will be about the size of 3 DVDs and DVDs can hold A LOT i dont know if youve noticed.

CVXFREAK said:
I wonder why Nintendo never released a redesign for the GC. Certainly would have helped sell a few extra systems. The PStwo makes it lose perhaps the only advantage it had.

Well I think part of it is the realization that it probably wouldn't nearly enough to make it worth the effort, at least not in and of itself (a redesign as part of an overall push with a much rejuvenated software lineup would have been different). And of course part of it probably has to do with the fact that the name is tied to the shape.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CVXFREAK said:

I thought of this as well, but thenI realized it would kinda cause problems if the Gamecube was rectangular. ;)

monkeyrun

No6 said:
Meaningless. The xbox was rushed into production using off the shelf parts and had an internal hdd and PSU. The 360 was not and does not.
360 looks kinda rushed to me ... seriously ..

WindyMan

argon said:
Nintendo's power supply will be bigger than the PS3.

The more power you need to pump into a piece of hardware, the louder it's going to be, more than likely. The Xbox 360 doesn't have a double-sized brick powering the hardware for nothing. The PS3 is probably going to suck up more power than the 360 will, so the PS will be larger.

The Revolution is going to be the smallest and most quiet of all the systems. I wouldn't be shocked if the power supply was just a big fat plug like the NES or SNES, or probably just the same or similar PS as the GameCube.

I think we all take for granted how small the GameCube is for how much stuff Nintendo crammed in there. I don't think any of us will appriciate how powerful the Revolution is going to be for its size until we actually take it home and start playing with it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Element this was pretty subtle for you... I'm impressed. Considering the PS3 is larger than the PS2, that's a pretty big USB drive you have... much larger than mine apparently...

shpankey

not an idiot
Well, there's a reason why Nintendo isn't releasing their specs. If they are going to fit all thier stuff in that tiny little case, and considering power and heat requirements of current technology... to be frank, the Revolution isn't going to be nearly as powerful as 360 or PS3. It's just that simple. There is no magic technology out there that overcomes the heat issue.

As for PS3, I fear for when we see it's power supply... that thing will be insane!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
shpankey said:
Well, there's a reason why Nintendo isn't releasing their specs. If they are going to fit all thier stuff in that tiny little case, and considering power and heat requirements.. to be frank, the Revolution isn't going to be nearly as powerful as 360 or PS3. It's just that simple. There is no magic technology out there that overcomes the heat issue.

Who cares. After seeing Mario Kart GP, and knowing that it's on GC hardware with more RAM, I would be more than satisfied seeing what they could do with a faster CPU and more powerful GPU on the Rev. :)

shpankey

not an idiot
Oblivion said:
Who cares. After seeing Mario Kart GP, and knowing that it's on GC hardware with more RAM, I would be more than satisfied seeing what they could do with a faster CPU and more powerful GPU on the Rev. :)
I wasn't discussing the merits of more powerful technology. I was answering the question this thread posed. Having said that, knowing Nintendo fans like yourself, I'm well aware how willingly you will buy anything from Nintendo, carte blanche. ;)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
shpankey said:
Well, there's a reason why Nintendo isn't releasing their specs. If they are going to fit all thier stuff in that tiny little case, and considering power and heat requirements of current technology... to be frank, the Revolution isn't going to be nearly as powerful as 360 or PS3. It's just that simple. There is no magic technology out there that overcomes the heat issue.

As for PS3, I fear for when we see it's power supply... that thing will be insane!

If the X360's power supply is any reference, those photoshop'd images of the PSP come back to mind... you may need a whole extra room just for the PS3 power supply... please place in separate room, preferrably with a fan pointed directly at supply....

Leonsito

The Revolution Power Supply will be like this:

apple1_3.jpg

The Revolution box we have seen it's only the dvd reader, and the cable is an IDE, not the power supply.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
No6 said:
It was not rushed into production? Anyways, if you take out that bulky dvd drive in there, the x360 has a lot of air in it too.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Sweedishrodeo said:
Was a thread for this really needed? Theres no real answer to that ....
There isn't but it's a nice topic to speculate about. This still is a discussion board and not just a news bulletin board, right? :)

Doom_Bringer said:
Sony will probably add more vents in PS3, they already made one minor change at Playstation Party (I think the surface in now less curvy)

The slight change in form factor from E3 to the PS Party was suggested but is there any photographic evidence? I haven't seen any close-up shots of the unit at the PS Party to ascertain this for sure.

MassiveAttack said:
The slight change in form factor from E3 to the PS Party was suggested but is there any photographic evidence? I haven't seen any close-up shots of the unit at the PS Party to ascertain this for sure.

I can't find the pictuers. :(

koam

Microsoft is an American and they follow the "bigger is better" mindset. They don't give a shit how big things are *cough* PSU *cough*.

Sony and Nintendo are Japanese and they believe in "it's not the size that matters". They will make things small.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'd be more worried about the revolution than anything
The PS3 struck me as being big at TGS (and they could still move the psu outside the unit if need be)

Top Bottom