• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston police kill man with his hands in the air, take cell phone from witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

Random civilians, especially uneducated ones, aren't trained to give important details and seriously survey the situation. Police are. I trust their word over some no-name.

If this wasn't the 21st century I'd totally be agreeing with this post. There was once a time when this wasn't an epidemic, but unfortunately that time has passed.

Valnen

part of a police officer's job is to, on a daily basis, be around drunks, idiots, wifebeaters, drug addicts, and every so often gets to see a crime scene with some dead bodies, perhaps a mangled child or rape/murder victim with brains splattered on the wall. Put yourself in that position. You have a family to go home to, to support, and this moron in front of you refuses to take his hands out of his pockets.

Im not saying police never become bad cops. Im not even sure about this particular scenario. Im am just saying that these anti-police posts on gaf can become ridiculous.

This is why being a cop is one of the hardest jobs in the world to do right. You have to deal with all that, but you have to keep your grip and do the right thing. Sometimes you even have to go against your fellow cops these days. I do not envy the position of any good cop. They are beset on all sides by both criminals, bad cops, and corrupt politicians.

We need some way to encourage people to do the right thing and deal with corruption. I don't see this happening anytime soon, though.

part of a police officer's job is to, on a daily basis, be around drunks, idiots, wifebeaters, drug addicts, and every so often gets to see a crime scene with some dead bodies, perhaps a mangled child or rape/murder victim with brains splattered on the wall. Put yourself in that position. You have a family to go home to, to support, and this moron in front of you refuses to take his hands out of his pockets.

Im not saying police never become bad cops. Im not even sure about this particular scenario. Im am just saying that these anti-police posts on gaf can become ridiculous.

Why would the eye witnesses lie? What do the witnesses have to gain by lying to the press?

The police officer on the other hand has a lot more to lose.

commedieu

Banned
you heard it here first. Police officers dropped out of 8th grade.

Thats a bit of a hyperbolic response... In context, the(sarcastic?) comment was read to suggest that un-educated people can't be witnesses. With that, police are people. The requirements are for 60 college credits, not exactly PHD holders. Most of the police I personally know aren't exactly the sharpest tacks. But they are mostly sheriffs, that go to vegas, and get busted for having coke, and are let go by the PD, that end up banging on the wrong door at the excalibur hotel, when our hotel is the luxor... But then theres my dad. Brilliant man, former officer and a judge. His kind are few and far between with todays police force, which more and more just resemble a different form of TSA applicants.

What facts?! The article plus other articles is more like a he said she said.

He said, she said, they stole and refused to release video evidence, hiding the truth that theoretically should have served to legitimize their story and clearly show that they did not resort to excessive force when they shot and killed that man.... who to believe...

Most police depts in the US require only a HS diploma, sometimes an Associate's degree, so relatively speaking they're not required to be very educated.

Is it possible to get a real source?

What are the conditions necessary to qualify as a "real source"? For what it's worth, the article in the OP is clearly dripping with bias, but many other stories have been linked through the thread that describe pretty much the same events, without all the bullshit.

For example, this:

This entire case isn’t all that surprising considering that police in another urban area, New York City, identified people who exercise their right to film police as “professional agitators.”

is just shit logic.

commedieu

Banned
Is it possible to get a real source?
ibREs6n6YIq6a.jpg

"tabloids" like the Houston Chronicle, the largest daily-circulated paper in Houston?

EDIT: beaten, but the point still stands.

And then come the clowns who can't attack the facts of the story, so they'll attack the source as kind of a last ditch thing.

Every single case like this is just a bad apple. There is no systemic problem with American police culture that needs to be examined and fixed; also, anyone who thinks there *is* a problem thinks that no police force should exist at all.

Also, your source is biased so this didn't happen and the man who died may have been Doctor Octopus and we should wait until we have the facts before we stop assuming that he was.

Read about this in our Academy class.

She told his ass to take his hands out his pants 2-3 times. He refused. When he turned around he was about to draw something. You bet your ass you would be shot . Sucks this police officer was a 1 year rookie , what a way to start off your career.

I love how this is article is biased

Hahahha! Unreal.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Until you need one, then they're your best friends, right?

Yeah. When you need one they're your best friends.

Until your skin is dark, then you're pretty much fucked.

There are far more good cops than bad cops. Its just the good cops never get any press
The problem with the good cops is that they close ranks and protect the bad cops from any accountability.

KtSlime

Graduating high-school isn't all that difficult, and is not what I would consider a decent education. There are high-school grads who are barely capable of using a register or making change.

Izayoi

Banned
Read about this in our Academy class.

She told his ass to take his hands out his pants 2-3 times. He refused. When he turned around he was about to draw something. You bet your ass you would be shot . Sucks this police officer was a 1 year rookie , what a way to start off your career.

I love how this is article is biased
I sure hope not every cop is taught like you and the one in the OP, or that you're making shit up.

commedieu

Banned
I sure hope not every cop is taught like you and the one in the OP, or that you're making shit up.

He may or may not be a cop. But that attitude is the problem, its very us vs them. He refers to the deceased in a complete disrespectful way.. even before knowing what the 'facts.' are.

Wow.

Release a story about a black man, and any comments about black stereotypes make you a racist asshole (btw, not implying anything here other than making an example). However, any story about a cop is a CLEAR REPRESENTATION of every cop. Makes sense, right?

This country needs to change it's perception that every "man of power" is out to screw you. Many of you have absolutely no clue about the kind of bullshit that cops deal with. None. It doesn't make any of these stories right. However, I strongly believe it is one of those jobs that people should shadow, just so they can appreciate the service our police provide.

Wow.

Release a story about a black man, and any comments about black stereotypes make you a racist asshole (btw, not implying anything here other than making an example). However, any story about a cop is a CLEAR REPRESENTATION of every cop. Makes sense, right?

I don't think anybody tried to make that claim...??

commedieu

Banned
Wow.

This country needs to change it's perception that every "man of power" is out to screw you. Many of you have absolutely no clue about the kind of bullshit that cops deal with. None. It doesn't make any of these stories right. However, I strongly believe it is one of those jobs that people should shadow, just so they can appreciate the service our police provide.

You missed the part where the police were there due to the victims claims of assault... Great service he was provided.

I don't think anybody tried to make that claim...??

What he said.

However, I strongly believe it is one of those jobs that people should shadow, just so they can appreciate the service our police provide.

Hey, great idea - shadowing cops might give us some perspective. Why don't you go follow some cops around (better yet, record them so that we might all gain some insight) and come back to us with the results? No sarcasm; maybe we could all learn something.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Police departments confiscating/preventing video evidence from being gathered by citizens certainly doesn't speak too highly of them.

commedieu

Banned
Police departments confiscating/preventing video evidence from being gathered by citizens certainly doesn't speak too highly of them.

as per your original post. States tried/arrested a few people for illegally taping "eavesdropping" them. But it was overturned, I believe. Would need a citation. Regardless, police are still all over youtube demanding people to stop taping/stealing/smashing phones. Even if its legal in their state. I'm sure they will make recording police Illegal, or give police some sort of device scrambler to freeze up phones in a certain circumference.

They are so worried about it, because many aren't doing their job in a way that they wouldn't be afraid to show it to a court of law. Police that are worried about getting recorded, worry me.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
as per your original post. States tried/arrested a few people for illegally taping "eavesdropping" them. But it was overturned, I believe. Would need a citation. Regardless, police are still all over youtube demanding people to stop taping/stealing/smashing phones. Even if its legal in their state. I'm sure they will make recording police Illegal, or give police some sort of device scrambler to freeze up phones in a certain circumference.

They are so worried about it, because many aren't doing their job in a way that they wouldn't be afraid to show it to a court of law.

That's essentially the problem... I mean it's fun to pretend cops are psycopaths in blue, but I think what we're dealing with for the most part is good olde mediocrity and poor workmanship.

The issue here is, of course, we're not talking about a guy screwing up an engine he was supposed to repair, cop's work is rather more delicate and thus any screw ups are likely to have far reaching consecuences. Just like any cubicle dweller would use office politics to shift the blame, cops are using the tools they've been given including the use of violence to cover their screwups.

noah111

Still Alive
Isn't it great how when your hometown finally gets represented in a gaf thread title, it's some shit news. :| not that I think Houston's the best place ever or anything, but whoof..

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One of the responses to these topics is a stock "yeah you hate the police until you need them!" Which seems intended to imply hypocrisy on the part of the person criticizing the police.

But, that tactic is disingenuous. There is no hypocrisy in someone being scared of the police but thankful if they're in trouble and the police intervene.

If you were being chased by a madman with a gun you'd be thankful for anything that saved your life. You'd thank a runaway truck that hit him. You'd thank a serial killer who tagged him from the alley. You'd thank the devil himself if he showed up and shoved a pitchfork into the lunatic's chest.

But that doesn't change who and what your saviors are in other contexts.

The problem with the police as a whole is that they can be like having a feral, chained, mad watch dog. Sure, that sucker keeps everyone else off your property. Sure, it'll rip the throat out of someone out to kill you.

But you are also a prisoner in your own home because of the very same beast.

If you look at it the wrong way, it may go for your throat next.

I'm sure that people who have lived in, or are living in, literal police states have seen the stormtroopers break up fights, gun down killers, and catch thieves. All the while watching the very same troopers oppress everyone else to make sure the civilians remember their place.

There is no hypocrisy in being scared shitless of your 'protectors'.

I never understood why police shoot to kill instead of trying to disarm the suspect by shooting their leg or something. :/

What is up with the HPD lately, they were following me the other night after I left the apartment where I dropped off the guy I'm dating. Like almost at my fucking bumper. If they fucking hit me I would've sued the hell out of them just for being annoying twats.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wow.

True or False: Good cops cover for bad cops.

Ponn

Banned

I think you need to read the article again. Either that or you are just completely dismissing the whole point of the article.

bengraven

I never understood why police shoot to kill instead of trying to disarm the suspect by shooting their leg or something. :/

Fear. They're programmed to believe anyone with a gun will murder them with no hesitation; a lesson to keep them alive as long as possible as their lives are considered more valuable than the criminal, despite innocence.

It's better to shoot an innocent than to have a dead cop.

I'm more concerned about the fact that there's a woman named Florida. I thought such names were mythical like unicorns.

IypnR.jpg

KtSlime

Fear. They're programmed to believe anyone with a gun will murder them with no hesitation; a lesson to keep them alive as long as possible as their lives are considered more valuable than the criminal, despite innocence.

It's better to shoot an innocent than to have a dead cop.

Unless you are the innocent of course...

ToddGoku

Banned
Wow.

Everyone knows the kind of bullshit cops deal with. If you can't deal with the bullshit without freaking out and murdering people you shouldn't be a cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom