• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston police kill man with his hands in the air, take cell phone from witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

In yet another case of witnesses completely contradicting the official story, the individuals who witnessed the killing of Rufino Lara at the hands of officers of the Houston Police Department disputed just about every single purported fact put forth by the police.

This entire case isn’t all that surprising considering that police in another urban area, New York City, identified people who exercise their right to film police as “professional agitators.” Furthermore, this is the same department which employs the officers who arrested a woman for holding a sign warning motorists of an upcoming police speed trap.

According to the Houston Police Department, Lara was walking away and refusing to stop and recognize the commands of officer J. McGowan in both English and Spanish.

McGowan was investigating an assault and according to officials from the department, Lara kept one of his hands tucked under his shirt. When Lara turned around suddenly, allegedly with his hands still under his shirt, McGowan shot and killed him.

Now two witnesses have called just about every single aspect of the official story into question.

One witness is family friend Florida Ruvio who happened to bump into Lara while returning from a nearby liquor store in southwest Houston, according to the Houston Chronicle.

According to Ruvio, Lara said that some unknown men were pursuing him with a knife and asked him to call the police.

Two officers arrived to the scene to investigate the reported assault and when police approached Lara and told him to stop and raise his hands, “They were speaking to him in English only,” according to Ruvio.

According to Ruvio, Lara does not speak English and did not stop the first time. However, he did put both hands up against the wall and faced his back to the officers.

Ruvio further contradicts the official story by saying, “He didn’t have his hands in his pocket or his shirt,” adding that she remained with Lara throughout the entire incident.

Ruvio said that when Lara turned around the face the officers, he was shot and killed by McGowan, still with his hands in the air.

When Ruvio yelled at McGowan, saying that she had killed an innocent person, McGowan responded by claiming that “he had drawn out a gun.”

McGowan then tore open Lara’s shirt and took off his shoes, according to Ruvio, and no weapon was ever recovered.

When Ruvio attempted to film what was going on with her cell phone, she said that one of the officers seized it forcibly and told her that she could not record anything.

Another witness to the event was 14-year-old Rigoberto Rubio, who was not a personal friend of Lara.

Rubio was purchasing water from a machine nearby where Lara was standing with both of his hands against the wall.

Unsurprisingly, the Houston Police Department has refused to comment on the allegations leveled against them. The department claimed that there was currently an internal affairs investigation into the shooting of Lara, thereby barring them from commenting on it.

However, Houston Police Department Chief Charles McCelland did release a statement dealing with the incident in a somewhat oblique manner.

“The Houston Police Department places the highest value on the preservation of human life. Police officers have the difficult task of making split-second decisions to keep themselves and others safe on a daily basis,” stated McCelland.

McClelland also stated that a grand jury in Harris County will also be looking over the evidence in the killing of Lara with both the Houston Police Department and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office conducting investigations as well.

“The investigation will be open and transparent, and we ask that the public withhold judgment until all the facts and evidence has been gathered and the investigation is complete,” said McClelland.

Unfortunately, based on historical precedent, I seriously doubt that this investigation will be either open or transparent. Police aren’t all that great at investigating themselves.

Ovide Duncantell, the director of the Black Heritage Society agrees.

“These officers are never ever called to justice,” Duncantell said. “We need a police review board … because somebody we paid and trusted to defend us is killing us.”

Members of the community, Lara’s family and witnesses recently gathered together at a news conference arranged by the Great Houston Coalition for Justice.

One attendee, Lara’s nephew Jose Lara, defended his uncle saying, “He wasn’t a troublemaker. This was cold-blooded murder.”

To be fair, Lara did have a criminal record. However, his record was far from damning considering he had been charged with trespassing and giving false information to a police officer, both misdemeanors.

Personally, I do not think that his record should have any bearing on the manner whatsoever. Instead, I think we should pay attention solely to the facts and the completely contradictory accounts coming from the witnesses.

While the police officers clearly have something to gain from lying about what happened before the trigger was pulled, the witnesses on the other hand, do not.

As Carlos Miller pointed out, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas has spoken out recently, specifically citing the problem of the police preventing the video from being taken.

“It’s a shame we can’t see the video the witness reportedly tried to make,” said ACLU of Texas Executive Director Terri Burke, according to Houston Press.

“Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland has asked for the public to withhold judgment about the shooting. The right of Texans to record police activity in a manner that does not interfere with police work is an important protection against abuses of power by the government,” Burke stated in a press release.

“The behavior of some members of the local police department might be less suspect if officers showed more respect for the Constitution, and, in this instance, the First Amendment,” Burke added.

Keese Smith, a spokesman for the Houston Police Department, commented on the filming of police in general, while refusing to comment directly on this case.

According to Smith, officers are repeatedly informed that “pretty much every action that they take, they should assume that they’re being videotaped. So this isn’t new.”

“Taking photographs of things that are plainly visible from public spaces is a constitutional right — and that includes police and other government officials carrying out their duties,” said Rebecca Robertson, legal director for the ACLU of Texas, in the press release.

Indeed, it is our right and we should exercise it as regularly as possible. Thankfully, there has been at least one victory as of late, such as the judge’s decision in Illinois. One might count the dropping of charges against a man in Florida for videotaping a traffic stop as well, if pressed.

Hopefully there will be some progress in this case and the officers will not only be held accountable for the killing but also their effort to prevent individuals from exercising their rights and potentially recording evidence.

http://endthelie.com/2012/07/14/hou...ands-in-the-air-take-cell-phone-from-witness/

Didn't see a topic on this, and figured GAF would be interested..

Every single case like this is just a bad apple. There is no systemic problem with American police culture that needs to be examined and fixed; also, anyone who thinks there *is* a problem thinks that no police force should exist at all.

Also, your source is biased so this didn't happen and the man who died may have been Doctor Octopus and we should wait until we have the facts before we stop assuming that he was.

commedieu

Banned
Every single case like this is just a bad apple. There is no systemic problem with American police culture that needs to be examined and fixed; also, anyone who thinks there *is* a problem thinks that no police force should exist at all.

Also, your source is biased so this didn't happen and the man who died may have been Doctor Octopus and we should wait until we have the facts before we stop assuming that he was.

ibenD0J5TOcCt1.jpg

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Unar...-shooting-in-southwest-Houston-161882625.html
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...e-HPD-s-account-of-fatal-shooting-3697666.php

Ruvio brought out her phone to take a video of the scene, she said, but an officer seized it from her, telling her she was not to record anything.

Thought you were being serious for the first paragraph

noah111

Still Alive

ibenD0J5TOcCt1.jpg
Seriously, I never do this, but... /thread

"anyone who thinks there *is* a problem thinks that no police force should exist at all" really made me laugh, though.

Esch

Banned

uhhhh

KuGsj.gif

works for Houston PD

Random civilians, especially uneducated ones, aren't trained to give important details and seriously survey the situation. Police are. I trust their word over some no-name.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Random civilians, especially uneducated ones, aren't trained to give important details and seriously survey the situation. Police are. I trust their word over some no-name.

On the other hand the officers involved have a serious invested interest in events being recorded a certain way. I expect the truth is somewhere between the two parties.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Okay - let's go in a different direction. If a police officer insistent on not being filmed, and multiple witness testimony contradicted his statement in this... non-filmed moment, would that increase your doubt of the officers testimony?

Fularu

Banned

I had no idea you had to be "educated" to give a proper testimony.

What more? Childs can't testify since they lack the proper training?

scaled.php

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

I agree. If a person doesn't have a solid education, how are they supposed to know things like who shot first, whether a person was armed, and how to operate a cell phone to take a video? It's a good thing police are always well educated people who adequately respond to any given situation.

Every police officer in America is a piece of shit who has either beaten or gunned down people in the past, and if they haven't yet they probably will some time soon.

This is not an isolated incident, it is a fact of life for people in America. You are more at risk of being shot by a cop than you are getting in a car accident or dying of old age.

Also there is no internal investigation process that has ever once led to the firing, resignation or charging and conviction of a police officer who has done wrong.

Cyrillus

How curious. I had no idea my higher education improved my eyesight! Must be why fighter pilots are required to have PhD's.

Cyan

Banned

Nailed it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't form an opinion because the article in the OP is both agenda-driven (not a subjective reading - it really does begin to drive an anti-police agenda from the very first paragraphs) and then is so confusingly written that it's actually hard to parse what happened to whom, and when. Don't get me wrong, the citing of NYPD's horrible behavior, for example is DEAD ON, I just find the article in the OP to be both bafflingly obtuse and biased.

Read about this in our Academy class.

She told his ass to take his hands out his pants 2-3 times. He refused. When he turned around he was about to draw something. You bet your ass you would be shot . Sucks this police officer was a 1 year rookie , what a way to start off your career.

I love how this is article is biased

Eidan

Well done.

SamVimes

She told his ass to take his hands out his pants 2-3 times. He refused. When he turned around he was about to draw something. You bet your ass you would be shot . Sucks this police officer was a 1 year rookie , what a way to start off your career.

This article may be biased, but are you seriously basing your sorce off your academy class? Also why did he take the phone away?

This is not an isolated incident, it is a fact of life for people in America. You are more at risk of being shot by a cop than you are getting in a car accident or dying of old age.

You're trolling but this is a fact of life for many minorities who can't even walk down the street without been stopped, frisked or questioned.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Do you trust their word over video evidence?

Oh wait there isn't any. Because they stopped the evidence from being collected.

Lemme ask you a question. If two random civilians came to you with two differing accounts of a situation, but one of them prevented the other from taking video of said situation, whose account would you believe: the witness who tried to get evidence, or the witness who tried to destroy evidence?

Cyrillus

Biased, unlike your discussion in a Police Academy class?

According to two eye-witnesses, he had his hands above his head as he turned around, and also the officer spoke to him only in English, which he doesn't speak. The police officer says he turned around with his hands in his pockets after she spoke to him in both English and Spanish. Also, the only video evidence we might have had, was confiscated by police for (some reason)?

Yeah, definitely believe the cops over two random witnesses who have nothing to gain out of lying about it.

NoRéN

How hard is it to get into this Academy you speak of?

KtSlime

Last I checked here in America we had the freedom and civic responsibility to observe, note, and record the actions of our law enforcement - keeping them on the up and up.

danwarb

Hopefully it's the end of her career. Read this situation wrongly, at best, and it cost someone their life.

the fact you used the term civilian lets me believe you are either of military or enforcement background, your opinion is not trustworthy.

They are called citizens, you are not an occupying force, and you are hired by these citizens to protect them.

It seems like police officers are the only people allowed to kill their bosses and get away with it.

bangai-o

Banned
part of a police officer's job is to, on a daily basis, be around drunks, idiots, wifebeaters, drug addicts, and every so often gets to see a crime scene with some dead bodies, perhaps a mangled child or rape/murder victim with brains splattered on the wall. Put yourself in that position. You have a family to go home to, to support, and this moron in front of you refuses to take his hands out of his pockets.

Im not saying police never become bad cops. Im not even sure about this particular scenario. Im am just saying that these anti-police posts on gaf can become ridiculous.

commedieu

Banned

This is the exact attitude that the Police department needs to filter out, however, generally you only have alpha dick swingers that really apply. We all know the type from highschool. His ass apparently didn't speak english, and there are conflicting reports of who the person was that had his hands in a pocket as there were a few men. There is a lot of conflicting information. And different sources of the story outside of this one.

The police have no right to confiscate your cell phone, and witness reports generally should match your reports when you murder someone.

part of a police officer's job is to, on a daily basis, be around drunks, idiots, wifebeaters, drug addicts, and every so often gets to see a crime scene with some dead bodies, perhaps a mangled child or rape/murder victim with brains splattered on the wall. Put yourself in that position. You have a family to go home to, to support, and this moron in front of you refuses to take his hands out of his pockets.

Im not saying police never become bad cops. Im not even sure about this particular scenario. Im am just saying that these anti-police posts on gaf can become ridiculous.

I don't take the polices word for this one. They've already showed their hand by stealing someones cell phone. If they had nothing to hide, there is no reason to confiscate the phone. Thats my problem with believing their side of the story. Police aren't above lying about what happened. It happens too often to take their side at 100% value. As someone said, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but it sure as shit isn't the police's word that I'm taking, after stealing a phone.

And then come the clowns who can't attack the facts of the story, so they'll attack the source as kind of a last ditch thing.

What facts?! The article plus other articles is more like a he said she said. This is nothing more than sensationalism plus GAF's ( or at least some members) anti police mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom