• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston police kill man with his hands in the air, take cell phone from witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastmen

Banned
Why in this day and age don't police officers have cameras on their uniforms and also on their guns and in their cars to film everything ?

I never understood why police shoot to kill instead of trying to disarm the suspect by shooting their leg or something. :/.

Guns are deadly weapons, you don't do trick shots like in the movies with them. Shooting to just injure is really hard to do and generally any firearms training will teach you not to attempt it, because of increased chance of your shots causing collateral damage to an innocent person. Hitting a limb on a moving target is even harder. In a situation where a person has a gun or something, shooting them in the leg would not be helpful.

That is why cops are supposed to have tasers and such to "safely" take a person down. Despite the hate for tasers by many, it would probably save more lives if they pulled them out first rather than guns on a person of question.

bill0527

Why in this day and age don't police officers have cameras on their uniforms and also on their guns and in their cars to film everything ?

The sheriffs department in my county does. Except on the guns. They've got car cameras and cameras on their lapel next to their shoulder mics.

charsace

Fear. They're programmed to believe anyone with a gun will murder them with no hesitation; a lesson to keep them alive as long as possible as their lives are considered more valuable than the criminal, despite innocence.

It's better to shoot an innocent than to have a dead cop.

IypnR.jpg

I think the cops in the article need to be locked up, but have you ever shot a gun? Life isn't a movie. You can't just aim for the legs and shoot someone easily. Nor can you just run into a room with 2 guns like your in a John Woo movie.

Turok_TTZ

hmph. accursed, incompetent, shitty HPD. this happening in my city..... ugh I did not need to know this happened. His family has my condolences, hpd are more crooks than they are cops.

Tapiozona

Banned
hmph. accursed, incompetent, shitty HPD. this happening in my city..... ugh I did not need to know this happened. His family has my condolences, hpd are more crooks than they are cops.

The entire HPD are more crooks than cops? That's a mighty big claim.

So he was shot, according to the police, because his hands were in his pockets? Goddamn.

The police are allowed to do that!?

The problem in this case is the witnesses say he was shot even though he had his hands in the air, and the video evidence was confiscated by the police?

Bolshevik

Banned
The police are allowed to do that!?

The problem in this case is the witnesses say he was shot even though he had his hands in the air, and the video evidence was confiscated by the police?
No, sounds like she tried to record what was happening after her friend was shot. I don't think she was recording before he was shot because it was so unexpected. The cop should never be allowed to handle a gun again, should be fired, and punished with some jail time. Sadly probably non of that will happen.

Turok_TTZ

The entire HPD are more crooks than cops? That's a mighty big claim.

hm it seems ive worded that wrong. I didnt mean to say the entire hpd are filled with crooks. I for one would like to hope that this isnt the case. but from personal experience, the ones that I have dealt with.... well I can say with confidence even small time petty criminals have better ethics and morals vs the officer with the badge and gun. truthfully I am biased. but my bias is the result of my personal experience with the hpd. I don't have any problems with cops in general. but I got beef with the hpd.

DanteFox

So he was shot, according to the police, because his hands were in his pockets? Goddamn.

According to the police, he had his back turned and was not obeying orders, AND had his hands in his shirt, so they assumed he was about to pull a gun on them.

ToddGoku

Banned
No, sounds like she tried to record what was happening after her friend was shot. I don't think she was recording before he was shot because it was so unexpected. The cop should never be allowed to handle a gun again, should be fired, and punished with some jail time. Sadly probably non of that will happen.

He'll get a paid vacation.

Read about this in our Academy class.

She told his ass to take his hands out his pants 2-3 times. He refused. When he turned around he was about to draw something. You bet your ass you would be shot . Sucks this police officer was a 1 year rookie , what a way to start off your career.

I love how this is article is biased

everything about your persona from referring to the deceased as "his ass" to your avatar make me hope you do NOT graduate from the academy. the streets are volatile enough without personalities like yours behind a blue shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom