• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Why do the product placements bother you that much? I mean it's not like the Truman Show or anything. There are products that you would find people using anyway. The show is supposed to be kind of over the top so I don't think it really effects the integrity of the show. I could understand if they were beating you over the head with it but I don't really think they are. It sounds like it bothers you because you don't like a particular product but is it really that big of a deal.

I don't even remember any Stella talk.
"I hope you like Stella"
*nods*
*reaches into bag, hands him Stella, opens Stella*
"Cheers."
*both take long drink*
*conversation proceeds with Stella label always in sight*

Truman Show is the perfect way to describe it.

The extended shot of Subway in the food court was a bit much for me.
That was bad, too, though just visually.

slit

"I hope you like Stella"
*nods*
"Cheers."
*both take long drink*

That was bad, too, though just visually.

No, Truman Show would be Claire looking to the camera and talking about all the new features of her Macbook Air while holding it towards the camera and then Frank saying that the Baby Back ribs at Chili's are as good as Freddy's while making a pig of himself. That's Truman Show. Anyway, I think it just bothers more people than others. Personally I don't care as long as the characters are not throwing it in our face. I didn't even pay much attention to the beer shit.

Socreges

Banned
No, Truman Show would be Claire looking to the camera and talking about all the new features of her Macbook Air while holding it towards the camera and then Frank saying that the Baby Back ribs at Chili's are as good as Freddy's while making a pig of himself. That's Truman Show. Anyway, I think it just bothers more people than others. Personally I don't care as long as the characters are not throwing it in our face. I didn't even pay much attention to the beer shit.
I'm just talking about the surreal sensation I get during the product placement. I'm taken out of the experience, like Truman is taken out of reality, and feel like I'm watching a commercial.

And I never suggested it bothers everyone the same (though of course many feel the same as I do). You're the one that suggested I just have a problem with the product, an illogical appeal to motive, which obviously isn't fair (or true).

C4Lukins

Season 2 was super disappointing after the first season. Beyond being super silly, it was just dull. I am still invested in the characters and the series as a whole, but it was a huge step down.

slit

I'm just talking about the surreal sensation I get during the product placement. I'm taken out of the experience, like Truman is taken out of reality, and feel like I'm watching a commercial.

And I never suggested it bothers everyone the same (though of course many feel the same as I do). You're the one that suggested I just have a problem with the product, an illogical appeal to motive, which obviously isn't fair (or true).

I only said that because you said Stella is horrible which means that was a least partly you're issue, that's all.

Anyway, it's no big deal. We just disagree about it's importance. Oh well.

Season 2 was super disappointing after the first season. Beyond being super silly, it was just dull. I am still invested in the characters and the series as a whole, but it was a huge step down.

Agreed, it was really weird after the first season. Felt like going from an HBO show to a Showtime show. And
Tusk is just a really uninteresting "rival" for Frank to have for the majority of the season. Like I really didn't give a shit any time he was on screen.
And there were so many plot threads brought up that were resolved quietly or just disappeared.

Spaghetti

season 2 thoughts, mild and vague spoilers ahead

. tusk should have been more than what he was on screen. needed more development
. frank spent most of the season spinning in circles... which was kinda intentional i think because it was reflecting how the political system does that to people, and it worked fine
. dat ending was superb

anybody think they'll do more than another season?

"I hope you like Stella"
*nods*
"Cheers."
*both take long drink*

If it's organically written into the show, I prefer product placements over fake products. In real life I could easily see someone naturally referring to a beer by brand, as offering someone a beer in that way is common and doesn't seem forced in context. So when a character meets someone in Starbucks while commenting it's been a while since she could afford Starbucks - it only helps the writing that it be Starbucks and not "gourmet coffee."

I see such examples in House of Cards to be in the vein of E.T. and Reese's Pieces, not Mac and Me and McDonald's.

Revolver

I've recently started season 2 and just finished episode 5.
That one ranks down with the library episode as my least favorite. I'm already sick to death of the power struggle between Frank and Tusk. The president is a spineless jellyfish and the civil war re-enactment stuff was as tedious as the real thing. If it weren't for Spacey and Wright I would have skipped this episode altogether.
I'll soldier on but this season is already starting to lose me.

Full season:

If this show ended with that last scene I'd be satisfied. From here on out it's just his inevitable downfall unless they make him a Putin-like figure. But damn what a way to wrap up that season--really made up for all the soft spots.

I don't think I've ever watched a show that I actively want the lead get utterly destroyed and ruined along with his manipulative scumbag of wife.They're like the hollows in Dark Souls. They have absolutely no humanity. I'll get some inevitable comparisons to Walter White out of the way. Walt, no matter what he did, in the end still loved his son and daughter as well as his wife. He was driven by their well-being and safety even though he got carried away many times. Frank is just a scum through and through. He is not driven by anything other than pride. Ruining lives and creating chaos is all Frank and Claire do in order to get to the top. I'm tired of their bullshit. Everyone is so easily steamrolled, which is sometimes unrealistic. President Walker is so ridiculously blind to Frank's ambitions. His first VP being taken out by Frank should have sent alarm bells ringing. First Lady is probably the most unrealistic character on show. Every first lady in white house is at terms with her husband's capacity and responsibility as commander in chief. She is so poorly written just to serve purpose. Doug Stamper basically has a magic wand in the show.

I don't like watching them, but the show is so well made and Kevin Spacey does amazing job, I can't stop watching.

Enker

S2 Spoilers through ending scene:

Doug has a magic wand, but Rachel had a magic rock

Congrats President Ford. This entire plot arc is very Nixonesque, including the ‘Deep Throat’ relationship with Zoey and Frank, the fact that Ford became the president when the VP and President resigned, and the interplay with China.

I can’t believe how boring the Rachel/Doug plot was. I hope she gets back in her relationship now, they were good for each other. Speaking of rocks, the only 2 loose ends left are the computer guy and Rachel. Which obviously means the computer guy is dead in S3, leaving Rachel to start a new job as the White House janitor. Remy will be Frank’s new Chief of Staff.

I can’t decide whether to quit this show or eagerly anticipate the next season.

WillyFive

I'm eagerly awaiting how they adapt the final stretch of the UK show into this show. The way this season ended, it's setting up a lot of that; especially S2 Ending Spoiler
the scene of his wife finally breaking down and crying. She's going to be his biggest enemy for sure in the future.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't think I've ever watched a show that I actively want the lead get utterly destroyed and ruined along with his manipulative scumbag of wife.They're like the hollows in Dark Souls. They have absolutely no humanity. I'll get some inevitable comparisons to Walter White out of the way. Walt, no matter what he did, in the end still loved his son and daughter as well as his wife. He was driven by their well-being and safety even though he got carried away many times. Frank is just a scum through and through. He is not driven by anything other than pride. Ruining lives and creating chaos is all Frank and Claire do in order to get to the top. I'm tired of their bullshit. Everyone is so easily steamrolled, which is sometimes unrealistic. President Walker is so ridiculously blind to Frank's ambitions. His first VP being taken out by Frank should have sent alarm bells ringing. First Lady is probably the most unrealistic character on show. Every first lady in white house is at terms with her husband's capacity and responsibility as commander in chief. She is so poorly written just to serve purpose. Doug Stamper basically has a magic wand in the show.

I don't like watching them, but the show is so well made and Kevin Spacey does amazing job, I can't stop watching.

Oh no you did not just go there. Frank loves his wife more than Walt ever loved Sklyer. Walt was only driven by pride. He could have avoided the drug dealing and destroying the family by simply asking for money and accepting help when offered. Walt refused to do so. Frank, on the other hand, did it all out of the love of his country. He's a goddamn patriot. Walt is a clown in comparison.

Just finished tonight, what a great series. I'm so glad my wife and I started watching this.

As usual though, TV/Movie-GAF makes my face go from,

:D - oh boy oh boy, I can't wait to read that 12 page spoiler thread!!! I bet everyone is screaming their heads off it's so good!!!

to

.... :( - of course they fucking don't like it

I really thought this time that you guys would through and through like this but apparently this season sucks and every sub plot was stupid. I must be bald, deaf, blind, and need to learn how to critique movies/TV better because my wife and I were CONSUMED in this series. So good.

S2 Ending Spoilers:
Frank's *BANG BANG* on the desk was just sooooooo satisfying I can't really explain it. Both my wife and I sat up from our couch and was yelling, "TAP YOUR FUCKING RING ON THE DESK, DO IT NAO! DON'T YOU END SCENE ON US, FUUUUUU---- YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Fan-fucking-tastic.

Just finished tonight, what a great series. I'm so glad my wife and I started watching this.

:D - oh boy oh boy, I can't wait to read that 12 page spoiler thread!!! I bet everyone is screaming their heads off it's so good!!!

to

I really thought this time that you guys would through and through like this but apparently this season sucks and every sub plot was stupid. I must be bald, deaf, blind, and need to learn how to critique movies/TV better because my wife and I were CONSUMED in this series. So good.

S2 Ending Spoilers:
Frank's *BANG BANG* on the desk was just sooooooo satisfying I can't really explain it. Both my wife and I sat up from our couch and was yelling, "TAP YOUR FUCKING RING ON THE DESK, DO IT NAO! DON'T YOU END SCENE ON US, FUUUUUU---- YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
Fan-fucking-tastic.
It's okay that you really enjoyed it. But it's also true that there are flaws you didn't notice that legitimately lowered the experience for many of us.

Draconian

to

S2 Ending Spoilers:
Fan-fucking-tastic.

Hey, not all of us didn't like it. I thought it was on par with the first season. I liked some stuff better this time around, but some stuff worse.

Hey, not all of us didn't like it. I thought it was on par with the first season. I liked some stuff better this time around, but some stuff worse.

This is how I feel as well. I liked it just as much as Season 1 and am just as hungry for Season 3. It wasn't perfect, it didn't do everything right, but it did so much, and it did it well.

Revolver

I really wish Frank would get a worthy adversary. He just tapdances all over everybody and rarely breaks a sweat. Oh and I freakin' hate Doug. I can't stop watching either though.

Grinchy

Banned
I loved this season, so it's disappointing to see that others didn't. There may have been a couple moments where I didn't feel that things that took place were incredibly realistic, but I was definitely interested throughout the whole season. It's the kind of show where I'd finish an episode and wonder why it was so short, only to realize it wasn't short at all. The very last scene was really good and it left me dying for more.

f0rk

I think a lot of people overrate the first season, this was about the same for me in comparison. Probably didn't need 3 more episodes though.

Looking forward to the rest, there should only be 1 or 2 more seasons though.

product placement talk?

ok. It was very, very jarring. But I saw an equalish example in Justified with Dewey Crowe just so happening to be next to a stack of Heineken.
But in House of Cards it was a straight up ad. And the Stella line clearly threw off the actor as he looked like he was about to go "dude, wtf" that entire scene.

I guess that's the price of doing business these days.

Overall, I did feel that S2 went
'too easy' and that the major players were not really in danger of exposure like in S1.
Hopefully the next season will correct that.

I thought this season started out really strong, the first episode really got me with
Frank not speaking to the camera until the final scene
. It definately dipped at the end though. I think I realised I was growing weary of it when
it looked like they were about to have a threesome with the bodyguard
, I didn't really buy that tbh.

I hope the third season is the last, and that it ends in a similar way to the original.

Gaz_RB

That fucking ending scene. Jesus fucking Christ so satisfying. I'm gonna go watch it again. Fuck.
I love this show, and Frank is one of the most entertaining characters to watch ever.

Ill miss you Doug :( you will never get to serve a president.

A couple of amusing items:

- House of Cards Intro In The Style of The Walking Dead (vimeo)
- House of Carbs tumblr
FVW4GIG.jpg

1QPFj9x.jpg

Also, just a quick reminder that the spoiler tag rule is switching off as of tomorrow. I'll update the OP and the title accordingly when that happens.

Effnine

Enjoyed every episode and never wanted to stop ... I too was shocked to see people hating on it here ... don't worry, you aren't alone ...

The two weeks of tagging spoilers are up. Feel free to discuss Season 2 without tags. Please continue to tag anything from the BBC version. Thanks, and let me know if there are any questions.

The gay scene was goofy and out of nowhere.

I don't care what you say about the library scene. I never got gay vibes from that at all.

If it's organically written into the show, I prefer product placements over fake products. In real life I could easily see someone naturally referring to a beer by brand, as offering someone a beer in that way is common and doesn't seem forced in context. So when a character meets someone in Starbucks while commenting it's been a while since she could afford Starbucks - it only helps the writing that it be Starbucks and not "gourmet coffee."

I see such examples in House of Cards to be in the vein of E.T. and Reese's Pieces, not Mac and Me and McDonald's.

The problem is that they don't just have them naturally show up most of the time. If they did, it would just be forgettable, miss-able background imagery. Instead, because its what they get paid to do, they have to draw your attention to it, emphasize it. They can't just be in a star bucks with half the people watching not even realize it, they have to tilt the camera towards the big colorful sign for half a minute to make sure you know they are in a star bucks. They devote cinematic space towards things that serve no purpose to the story or experience, all it does is emphasize the product.

They don't always do it badly though. The killzone placement in S1 was fine, you wouldn't even know it was killzone if you hadn't seen the game before. The blu e-cig in S2 was alright too. You never see a logo and they never call it out by name like nobody ever does in real life, its just a prop. Only reason I know what it was is because the light on the tip was blue. I'm cool with product placement like that, the natural, non-distracting, not blatantly obvious kind. The opposite of that infamous car commercial in breaking bad. *tastes puke in mouth all the sudden*

Helmholtz

The gay scene was goofy and out of nowhere.

I don't care what you say about the library scene. I never got gay vibes from that at all.
Really? They pretty much all but said that Underwood fooled around with that guy in College. Underwood's not gay, he's bisexual (at least that's what it seems like to me).
I also think the scene was pretty out of place. However they've kind of been leading up to it what with Underwood's constant praising and promoting of Meechum.

Panzon

Doug's death
is the most disappointing thing of the entire season.

Big step down from season 1 in my opinion but the
lesbian scene
was super yummy. God Rachel is sooo effin hot

blackflag

I only said that because you said Stella is horrible which means that was a least partly you're issue, that's all.

Anyway, it's no big deal. We just disagree about it's importance. Oh well.

Just finished this and I agree as well. Borderline terrible but I'm invested in the characters and want to see what he does with his new found powers

Helmholtz

I just finished season 2. I actually marathoned both seasons over a few days. Overall I think I liked the first season more, but this one wasn't worse by much. I'd say Season 2 was less evenly paced, and after the explosive start it definitely slowed down in the middle, but luckily it managed to recover by the end. This show is pretty good television, but I'd never put it up there with the great shows (Breaking Bad, True Detective, Shield, Boardwalk etc...). It's certainly entertaining most of the time though and Spacey is great.
I will say one thing though, the show's managed to kill off pretty much every character I've found remotely likeable, EP 13
first Peter, then Zoe, now Doug who was possibly my favorite character
. So yeah, it has balls, but I can't help but wonder if the show suffers overall when you kill characters/actors like this off on a whim. I fear that it might dip in quality like Boardwalk Empire did when S2
a certain main character was killed off at the end of season 2
. In my opinion that show never really recovered from his absence, though it's still good.
Also, as a side note, the product placement is indeed terrible. The "PS Vita" line was cringeworthy, and the full screen God of War and CoD stuff was gross. And would someone at least teach Mr. Spacey how to use a fucking controller convincingly.

Really? They pretty much all but said that Underwood fooled around with that guy in College. Underwood's not gay, he's bisexual (at least that's what it seems like to me).
I also think the scene was pretty out of place. However they've kind of been leading up to it what with Underwood's constant praising and promoting of Meechum.

They really didn't though. Just because he's super close with a bunch of dudes, and one dude especially doesn't mean he's bi. Just because he's promoting and always praising Meechum also doesn't mean he wants him romantically. I really just felt like it was out of left field and for shock value.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They really didn't though. Just because he's super close with a bunch of dudes, and one dude especially doesn't mean he's bi. Just because he's promoting and always praising Meechum also doesn't mean he wants him romantically. I really just felt like it was out of left field and for shock value.

Sorry but you are wrong. There is almost nothing left to subtext in regards to the college experience. He definitely had a homosexual experience there.

The Meechum thing was a bit silly, I'd agree, though.

The two weeks of tagging spoilers are up. Feel free to discuss Season 2 without tags. Please continue to tag anything from the BBC version. Thanks, and let me know if there are any questions.

Finally Unshackled!

Idk this whole season felt like a weird story, it lacked the intrigue of last year, and you never felt like Frank was in danger of anything. The oft-talked about Threesome scene was just strange, not because it happened but because nothing really came of it. The most compelling story was Freddie's, which came and went all to quickly.

That being said, I enjoyed the show, all these thoughts came after the show aired. This is the best show to watch if you don't think about it afterwards. I'm excited for S3

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Finally Unshackled!

Idk this whole season felt like a weird story, it lacked the intrigue of last year, and you never felt like Frank was in danger of anything. The oft-talked about Threesome scene was just strange, not because it happened but because nothing really came of it. The most compelling story was Freddie's, which came and went all to quickly.

Even weirder was the other threesome which was entirely unrelated to everything (Feng). The Meachum business may come back to bite Frank. Maybe.

They should've cast someone more sexually magnetic - a real boy toy - to make the spontaneous threesome more convincing. Meechum just seems wooden - dude doesn't even have a significant other to make it more "scandalous". I guess Meechum's drab personality is intentional for future plot devices.

WillyFive

Even weirder was the other threesome which was entirely unrelated to everything. The Meachum business may come back to bite Frank. Maybe.

It should. His relationship with him has been building for 2 seasons now, I don't see how this could possibly not end up being a big deal later on.

Sai-kun

Banned

Dude. Frank is not straight.

Dude. Frank is not straight.

I'm not saying he's not straight, I'm just saying that just because he's close with someone in college, no matter how close he is with the guy, it doesn't prove romantic feelings and as such, doesn't make the point necessarily that he is bi.

Frank's bi? Cool. I'm just saying the library scene and him keeping a secret service guy close (which I assumed he was doing because he wanted a young SS guy who would come to trust him so he could use him later) didn't really scream homosexuality of any type to me. That's why the scene was so out of left field and made some people do a double take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom