• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
9rbRWqL.jpg

Our two weeks are over, so this thread will no longer have spoiler tags for Season 2.

The 13-episode second season of House of Cards will be available on Netflix Instant Watch on February 14th at midnight Pacific Time. House of Cards is a political drama from David Fincher and Beau Willimon following the career of a ruthless politician played by Kevin Spacey. Additional cast members include Robin Wright and Kate Mara. The rest of the cast is listed below. The series is an adaptation of the BBC miniseries from the early 90's.

All 13-episodes will be released simultaneously on Feb 14th. This continues a huge foray into original programming for Netflix, and it's been estimated that they invested over $100 million in the first two seasons. House of Cards has been renewed for a third season, and presumably that will be released in early 2015.

Regarding spoilers, since all of the episodes will be up immediately for streaming, we're in something of a gray area. After some discussion, we decided that all discussion will be tagged and labeled for the first two weeks (until March 1st) while people are initially watching the series, and then after that we'll go to full discussion of everything without tags. Please spoiler tag any discussion and label which episode you're talking about outside of the tags: e.g. Ep 3:
I can't believe Kevin Spacey killed another hooker.

Netflix said:
Three Emmy Award wins including David Fincher ("The Social Network") for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series and nine nominations including Outstanding Drama Series went to this acclaimed political thriller. Lead Actor nominee Kevin Spacey stars as ruthless, cunning Congressman Francis Underwood, who will stop at nothing to conquer the halls of power in Washington D.C. His secret weapon: his gorgeous, ambitious, and equally conniving wife Claire (Lead Actress nominee Robin Wright).

The series stars Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara, Michel Gill, Gerald McRaney, Mahershala Ali, Sebastian Arcelus, Kristen Connolly, Nathan Darrow, Sakina Jaffrey, Michael Kelly and Molly Parker.

Additional cast members appearing in the series include: Jayne Atkinson, Gil Birmingham, Rachel Brosnahan, Reg E. Cathey, Derek Cecil, Terry Chen, Ben Daniels, Joanna Going, Boris McGiver, Mozhan Marno, Sam Page, Kate Lyn Sheil, Jimmi Simpson and Constance Zimmer.

qkxS9F4.gif
b9SW5fn.gif

Crew:
THR said:
Season two will feature episodes directed by Jodie Foster, James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross), Carl Franklin (Homeland) and John David Coles (Justified).

Videos: (please spoiler tag discussion of the trailers)
Links:

Htp0yhY.gif
LLnbf3Q.gif

News & Articles:
Promotional Pictures: (click to enlarge)

Reviews & Comments:
Tim Goodman @ THR said:
The Bottom Line: The continuing political machinations of Frank Underwood and how he's scheming his way to the top. A little heavy handed -- like last year -- but also quite a bit of fun when the tempo moves and Kevin Spacey is killing it, which is frequently.
EW said:
And therein lies the show's fundamental problem that must be righted: The Underwoods have no worthy opponents. There are only so many scenes of duping, playing, and ruining that one can endure without wanting the tables turned. Grade: B
Variety said:
The first season of “House of Cards” achieved the dual feat of instantly emerging as a first-rate drama while simultaneously being seriously overrated. Dense and smart, “Cards” is still partially skating by on reputation – and for Netflix’s purposes, that’s good enough.

Schedule:
All 13 episodes are available on Netflix on February 14th, 2014. Netflix typically releases content at midnight Pacific Time.​

Posters:
Animated version of the poster.
mNd7UOZ.jpg

Tucah

you speak so well
Excellent OP, can't fucking wait for more. I absolutely devoured the first season last year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm excited! I hope I can finish some of the other shows I'm watching before the premiere so I can binge the season over the weekend.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Nice OP! Can't wait to binge on the season.

EW said:
And therein lies the show's fundamental problem that must be righted: The Underwoods have no worthy opponents. There are only so many scenes of duping, playing, and ruining that one can endure without wanting the tables turned.

I hope that doesn't mean we don't get moments like his flubbed debate. One of the highlights of the first season for me.

"First-rate" means first rate, best in class - how can that be overrated?
Here's a link and a longer pull-quote if you want to take a look at what they said about House of Cards.

- Variety Review
The first season of “House of Cards” achieved the dual feat of instantly emerging as a first-rate drama while simultaneously being seriously overrated – riding the “Netflix reinvents TV” angle and juicy inside-the-Beltway bits to front-page coverage. No fools they, season two generally proceeds with more of the same, exhibiting a show with abundant strengths – foremost among them Kevin Spacey’s showy performance as an unscrupulous politician – but also underplayed weaknesses, including a continuing failure to present its scheming protagonist with equally matched foes. Dense and smart, “Cards” is still partially skating by on reputation – and for Netflix’s purposes, that’s good enough.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Please no more filler episodes, im looking at you Peach building and that strange Library episode, so strange to have so little of the network strings and still adhere to "heres an episode that doesnt contribute a thing". Other than that, best new series I have seen since Breaking bad, couldnt be more thrilled for season 2.

- J - D -

Looking forward to this, but I am worried about Variety and EW's critiques regarding The Underwoods once again not having worthy opponents. 2/3 through the first season I was ready for them to get their comeuppance. Never happened (understandably, since it was the first season).

Chesskid1

Banned
hmm, need to read a recap of season 1, i marathoned it in like 3 days when it first came out and i'm forgetting a bunch.

i really really loved s1 so i'm very excited.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Please no more filler episodes, im looking at you Peach building and that strange Library episode, so strange to have so little of the network strings and still adhere to "heres an episode that doesnt contribute a thing". Other than that, best new series I have seen since Breaking bad, couldnt be more thrilled for season 2.

The library episode was the best episode of the season! It wasn't filler at all - it provided a deep insight into the character of Frank.

Draconian

Peach building was hilarious and with the Library episode were great insights into Frank's character. I bet you weren't a fan of "Fly" in Breaking Bad, were you?

ezekial45

Banned
Can't wait! I was really impressed with the previous season.

Also, I have to say that Robin Wright is so incredibly attractive in this show. I mean the other female leads are great, they just don't hold a candle to her.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Peach building was hilarious and with the Library episode were great insights into Frank's character. I bet you weren't a fan of "Fly" in Breaking Bad, were you?

I felt the show established an plot device early and kept deviating to the point that it lost focus, Frank and his wife wanted revenge and then the white house, but past the first two episodes this motivation became thinner and thinner, there were far too many detours at which I wasnt sure what his motivations were. They rectified this later in the last few episodes but it was very clear to me the shows pace was all over the place, leading to some episodes I mentioned which didnt advance the plot at all.

Draconian

So who believes that Janine and Lucas are dead if they help Zoe investigate Russo? It seems pretty clear that Frank wouldn't have offed him unless he had some easy ways to either cover his tracks or deal with those looking into it.

What? Those were two of the best eps of the season.

Season 1's biggest weakness was the teachers' union bullshit. I don't expect this show to be a super-realistic portrayal of Washington politics, but that was downright cartoonish.

In any case, I'm very psyched that it's back. Can't wait to marathon it next weekend.

LordCanti

I'll marathon the hell out of it. There is no other way.

I know it makes me an old-timey weirdo, but I prefer the one episode a week format. This newfangled "let's release em all at once" thing wrecks/makes a single day of my life and then leaves an enormous hole.

Now I won't really be alone on Valentines Day! Go me!

That's Valentines day? Awww shit. That's going to make watching it pretty impossible ><

Draconian

I'll marathon the hell out of it. There is no other way.

I know it makes me an old-timey weirdo, but I prefer the one episode a week format. This newfangled "let's release em all at once" thing wrecks/makes a single day of my life and then leaves an enormous hole.

But can't you just watch one a week now anyway? Or are you saying that the show is so addicting you can't help but watch them all quickly? If so, I'm sure that's not a bad thing at all in Netflix's eyes. :p

LordCanti

But can't you just watch one a week now anyway? Or are you saying that the show is so addicting you can't help but watch them all quickly? If so, I'm sure that's not a bad thing at all in Netflix's eyes. :p

The second they post them, any and all spoilers are out there in the universe. They're addicting, sure, but I've got to beat the inevitable day-after facebook, twitter, etc, message about the "shocking finale" or whatever "shocking" things are going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom