• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Renewed for Season 5, Series Creator to Exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Well ahead of its Season 4 drop date, Netflix’s House of Cards has been renewed for Season 5.

Series creator Beau Willimon, however, will step down as showrunner for the drama’s 2017 cycle.

“Netflix and MRC owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Beau Willimon for his strong narrative vision for House of Cards over the show’s first four seasons,” Netflix and producer MRC said in a statement. “As an Academy Award-nominated writer, he made his first foray into television and built a riveting and critically acclaimed series, establishing his place in TV history. The producers, cast and crew join us in wishing Beau the best in his next creative adventure.”
http://tvline.com/2016/01/28/house-of-cards-renewed-season-5-showrunner-exits/

They ran out of rope on the original novels/BBC TV series at the end of Season 3, really, and I'm very curious to see how they're going to continue to stretch it. They really only have two major events from the original story left to depict. Then again, they've done a lot of stretching already, of course, as the BBC series only 3 series, each made up of 3 1h 45m episodes (each group of three representing one of the original novels) - so only 9 episodes total. The BBC series deviated quite significantly from the original novels, but the US version has followed the BBC one quite closely on a broad beat-for-beat basis.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I thought this was going to be one season per episode of the British series... Really disappointed they're draggin this out.

Blader

There's a guy here who works on the show that all but confirmed S5 was happening a little while ago.

And yeah, this is kind of worrying. I still really like the show and don't really see what everyone hated about S3 (or 2, for that matter) but I am worried about Netflix pulling a Showtime with keeping this show on way past its expiration date.

The BBC series this is based off ran for two series and it was perfect.

I thought the last series was a dip and I'm not confident of another two is a good idea.

ElFly

Netflix is just as bad as the rest of tv (and movie series. and comics) about this.

Just keep the damn things running until they fail in rating.

It's a shame the lack of interest on telling an actual story as opposed to a never ending set of anecdotes.

And yeah, this is kind of worrying. I still really like the show and don't really see what everyone hated about S3 (or 2, for that matter) but I am worried about Netflix pulling a Showtime with keeping this show on way past its expiration date.

My problem with 2 was that Frank was freaking unstoppable. There were very few moments where he actually seemed vulnerable, except towards the very end of the season.

Season 3 was the opposite, and I loved it for that reason.

kAmui-

I was kinda hoping they'd find a way to end it after the next season. I'm not as down on third season as many are but it certainly was a dip in quality. I'll probably end up watching the fifth season too unless fourth is real bad.

Dysun

Not sure how I feel about this.

Season 3 was a bit of a shitshow when it wasn't about not-Putin or purely Frank being Frank

Galang

Banned
I'm liking Netflix's original series, but yeah they're just like everyone else and don't know when to end things.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with 2 was that Frank was freaking unstoppable. There were very few moments where he actually seemed vulnerable, except towards the very end of the season.

Same. Which is why I was hoping Season 4 would be his fall.

Perhaps it will still be, and Season 5 will be him desperately trying to claw his back into relevancy and taking everyone down with him.

Season 3 was a little off. Hmm.

If Season 4 isn't as good then I guess I'll let the show go.

I'm pretty much in that boat.

And series creator exiting is usually a bad sign, I think. Netflix should just end the show this coming season. Don't be Showtime and run it into the ground for extra seasons.

Each season has been worse than the last with 3 being egregiously bad. I have almost no hope for the rest of the series. Oh well.

I'll give it another season, but, for the most part, the show is on a downward slope for me. Season 1 was great, but I hated season 2, and season three was all over the place at times in quality. I don't know.

The problem is, Frank goes from being the best politician around to being terrible in between the end of 2 and the start of 3 and it's never explained how or why it happens. I forget my specific criticisms with 3 other than it was basically "nothing happens: the season"

SeanTSC

Well, I hope it gets better somehow. My girlfriend and I really didn't care for Season 3, and she especially did not like Claire during it.

Season 3 is so, so terribad. I'm not even slightly interested anymore. That's how bad it was. I will watch it only if it becomes like a total phenomenon like making a murderer or something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't dislike Season 3 as much as a lot of people around here, but it does drag its feet a bit when you look back at it.

Since Netflix has to lean so hard on Original Content in the future, I wonder if they'll just keep their top performing shows running until they get replacements of equal popularity.

kirblar

I didn't dislike Season 3 as much as a lot of people around here, but it does drag its feet a bit when you look back at it.

Since Netflix has to lean so hard on Original Content in the future, I wonder if they'll just keep their top performing shows running until they get replacements of equal popularity.
The other two seasons have a defined arc.

S3 ends halfway through what appears to be an arc about (spec)
Frank having to flip parties in order to run.

WillyFive

Not liking how this is going longer than the original show. They will need to do new stuff, and stuff better than last season.

Compsiox

Banned
Season 1: Jack- Frank at Majority Whip level
Season 2: Queen- Claire kicking ass
Season 3: King- Frank as POTUS
Season 4: Ace- Second Term
Season 5: Joker? or Instuctions Card?

I don't know if this is a joke but that actually sounds like a possibility.

duckroll

This seems to suggest that Netflix wants the show to keep going and the creator either disagreed or didn't really have a masterplan to end it anyway so he's taking the chance to move on. I for one welcome the possibility of a season 10 of HoC where Cyborg Frank fights the invading Communist Zombie Army, while riding on a dinosaur. Bring it on I say.

Merguson

Banned
Doesn't Netflix want to release original content weekly? If that's the case, they probably want to keep as many of their properties alive until they hit their goal. Even so, that doesn't guarantee any cancellations.

20cent

Banned
I found the season 2 finale satisfactory enough to stop watching there.

I didn't bother to keep watching after reading an interview of one of the writers saying something like "we hope to do as many seasons as we can, we have a lot stories we'd like to tell, with politics this is endless".

The problem is, Frank goes from being the best politician around to being terrible in between the end of 2 and the start of 3 and it's never explained how or why it happens. I forget my specific criticisms with 3 other than it was basically "nothing happens: the season"

My interpretation was that now that he's at the top, there's a lot more scrutiny and he isn't able to maneuver in the way he once was.

duckroll

My interpretation was that now that he's at the top, there's a lot more scrutiny and he isn't able to maneuver in the way he once was.

But that doesn't excuse how awful the writing is at presenting his logic and personal decisions. In season 1 he made good decisions and reacted strongly to threats and changing situations. In season 2, he became a comical supervillain whose superpower was being able to deflect any sort of political assault by handwaving it away. In season 3, he suddenly lost both that superpower and the ability to make good decisions and react strongly to threats and changing situations. It's an incredibly inconsistent series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom