• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror movie recommendations

I'm a horror movie buff, but lately I'm finding myself in a rut trying to find new movies. I really like slashers and the original Halloween is my favorite. I also like creepy clown movies like Terrifier. But, I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd just like some good quality horror movies to watch.

Neff

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Omen (1976)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Alien (1979)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
Poltergeist (1982)
Aliens (1986)
The Fly (1986)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Scream (1996)
The Faculty (1998)

Last edited:
A Serbian Film uncut.

Kittens GIF

sono

Gold Member
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Omen (1976)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Alien (1979)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
Poltergeist (1982)
Aliens (1986)
The Fly (1986)
The Lost Boys (1987)
You missed

The Ring (2002)

The Grudge (2004)

30 Days of Night (2007)

Silent Hill (2006)

Event Horizon (1997)

Hellraiser (1987)

Insiduous (2010)

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Knowing (2009)

Last edited:

Shh

A Serbian Film uncut.

Kittens GIF
This movie is overrated, hot garbage. The only people that recommend this film think it's edgy and cool because it's so disgusting for no reason. I wouldn't recommend anyone see this. And the "uncut" version you recommend has a man raping a baby. This movie was made by raging, satanic perverts. It's not scary. It's just disgusting and wrong on a thousand levels.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

After 100s of them, I still can’t recommend anything over these core 3:

BWP - Found Footage Classic

The Wailing - Drama/ horror/ Detective film. Korean. Amazing.

Insidious - Modern haunted house movie

——————————

Additional Recs would be:

- Taking of Deborah Logn (another FF movie that I think delivers well)

- Sinister (modern spooky movie)

- Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (FF movie, Korean)

- I don’t personally consider it a horror movie, but most would… if you haven’t seen Train to Busan, do yourself a favor and peep THAT. A masterclass in how to make a movie, yet again out of Korea, that Hollywood of today could certainly learn from. Simple and straight forward, but IMO one of the best movies I have ever seen. There is a level and authenticity and emotion that film puts out that is devoid in many of its counterparts from the USA today.

- Batman v. Superman. Because it’s awful.

The little mermaid is the most horrifying thing I've watched in a while, that's still in cinemas

Other than that, I second old school films like The Thing and Alien. Nothing with over the top CG, or gore for the sake of gore, or Fnaf bullshit jumpscares

The Mist - probably one of the best Lovecraftian movies. I was pleasantly surprised.

Exorcist III - I saw this movie as a teenager but I didn't remember it. Recently watched it again on television and I found it pretty good. It's not as good as the original but it's a decent sequel. There are some legitimately creepy moments.

Nightbreed - another movie I saw when I was younger. I didn't like it back then but recently saw it again and I thought it was pretty decent. After I watched it I bought Clive Barker's Undying.

The Conjuring - I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. While it kind of ends up being tropish near the end, this is one of the very few modern horror movies that I really enjoyed.

Sorry, I know none of those are new movies and you probably seen most of them since you're a horror movie buff but just in case you haven't seen one or two of them, I recommend them.

The Conjuring is probably one of the newer movies. I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Ones that don’t take themselves too seriously are worth a watch.

-The Babysitter 1&2 on Netflix
-The Final Girls (Hilarious Friday the 13th Parody)
-Tucker and Dale vs Evil
-Spontaneous

Other movies worth a watch
-The Belko Experiment (maybe more Thriller/action than horror but amazing, has Die Hard feels)
-Malignant (go in blind)

Some TV is worth watching too
-All Of Us Are Dead
-Black Mirror
-Haunting of Hill House

Then of course classics like Elm Street, Friday the 13th etc

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I picked up the 4K blu ray of The People Under the Stairs, from 1991. Watched it tonight with the kids.

Didn't age as well as I would have liked. Still a good movie, just not very scary.

Occulus
Let The Right One In
The Witch
The Babadook
The Omen
It follows
Annihilation
The Others
Invasion of The Body Snatchers (The 70s remake)
The Thing (The 80s remake)
Martyrs

Mr Hyde

qub4TtY.jpg

Excellent horror movie with a strong performance by Nicolas Cage. Based on HP Lovecrafts short novella and it's probably the best Lovecraft adaptation since Stuart Gordons Re-Animator. It's pretty fucking gnarly and tense, on par with the best body horror movies from the 70s and 80s (think Cronenbergs Rabid or The Fly), with great gore effects, good acting and a well told story with a surprising emotional resonance. Recommend it wholeheartedly for any horror fan and it's a must watch if you're into Lovecraftian cosmic horror of the unknown.

Last edited:

DrFigs

To recommend 2 "smaller" movies.

I really liked "All My Friends Hate Me". It captures what social anxiety is like in a way that no other movie has ever done imo. It's so relatable, terrifying, and funny at the same time.

"Faults" is another good one about a cult deprogrammer. Lots of great performances in it, including from the late Lance Reddick.

Shh

qub4TtY.jpg

Excellent horror movie with a strong performance by Nicolas Cage. Based on HP Lovecrafts short novella and it's probably the best Lovecraft adaptation since Stuart Gordons Re-Animator. It's pretty fucking gnarly and tense, on par with the best body horror movies from the 70s and 80s (think Cronenbergs Rabid or The Fly), with great gore effects, good acting and a well told story with a surprising emotional resonance. Recommend it wholeheartedly for any horror fan and it's a must watch if you're into Lovecraftian cosmic horror of the unknown.
The chimera ... hybrid ... body horror ... mom thing .. was super disturbing in this. It was a good movie, though.

GymWolf

qub4TtY.jpg

Good body horror and gore? The fly level?

Shit now i have to watch this thing...

Mr Hyde

Good body horror and gore? The fly level?

Shit now i have to watch this thing...

You definitely should if you're into that kinda stuff. Not as visceral as The Fly (kinda hard to beat given how legendary the movie is) but I'd say Color Out of Space is up there with the top gems of the genre. Almost all gore effects are physical, in camera, with CG only used sparsely to illustrate the "color" that comes from space and fucks everything up. The movie got some good Carpenter "The Thing"- vibe to it also, which, as you probably already know, is a Lovecraftian cosmic horror movie. There is a scene in Color out of space very reminiscent to the infamous dog scene in The Thing, almost felt like a tribute to Carpenters work. SFX guru Rob Bottin would be proud of it I'm certain. Check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You definitely should if you're into that kinda stuff. Not as visceral as The Fly (kinda hard to beat given how legendary the movie is) but I'd say Color Out of Space is up there with the top gems of the genre. Almost all gore effects are physical, in camera, with CG only used sparsely to illustrate the "color" that comes from space and fucks everything up. The movie got some good Carpenter "The Thing"- vibe to it also, which, as you probably already know, is a Lovecraftian cosmic horror movie. There is a scene in Color out of space very reminiscent to the infamous dog scene in The Thing, almost felt like a tribute to Carpenters work. SFX guru Rob Bottin would be proud of it I'm certain. Check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Is the plot one of those pretentious one that you need to rewatch 10 times to start understanding what the movie is all about?

BossLackey

Gold Member
The Empty Man - Don't watch trailers, they're not a good representation of what the movie is like.
From Beyond - One of my all time favorite body horror movies
John Carpenter's Vampires - Since you're a Halloween fan, you've probably already watched all his movies, but Vampires is so stupid in all the best ways possible
High Tension - French slasher. Go in as blind as you can.

Phobos Base

One Cut of the Dead -starts like every other low budget zombie film you've ever seen, then goes off in a completely different direction and becomes rather charming.

GymWolf

Since op opened the topic i'm gonna ask advice for horror movies with big aquatic animals of any kind or just movies with monsters, mutated beasts or big ass animals.

I'm a sucker for well made creatures.

John Carpenter:
Christine (1983), Prince of Darkness (1987), In The Mouth of Madness (1994)

Slashers:
Black Christmas (1974), Motel Hell (1980), Dead and Buried (1981), The Burning (1981), I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)

Zombie:
Dawn of the Dead (1978), Zombi 2 (1979), Zombi 3 (1988), 28 Days Later (2002), Day of the Dead (2008)

Other:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Beyond (1981), The Hitcher (1986), Event Horizon (1987), Phantasm II (1988),
Poltergeist III (1988), Final Destination (2000), Kairo (2001), Art of the Devil 2 (2005), Frontière (2007),
[REC] (2007), The Collector (2009), Grave Encounters (2011), Chernobyl Diaries (2012), Coherence (2013)

Here is a website with more:
https://creepycatalog.com/best-80s-horror-movies/

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

I went into this movie completely blind (as I try to do with most movies) and can say without question this is NOT a movie you want to go in blind. This movie is extremely experimental and abstract and will not be to most people's taste. The entire film is shot with a grainy vhs type look and is comprised of deliberately off center shots of the interior of a house. There is virtually no plot to speak of and most of the 1 hour 40 minute runtime is composed of random shots.

I love films that challenge and are demanding to the viewer. I love independent cinema and slow burn films. But this film expects WAY too much from the viewer and becomes very irritating as a result. Even to the hardened art house viewer this movie expects too much. This would have made a brilliant 40 minute short as there are moments of true horror but they are surrounded by random repetitive imagery. At no point does this movie pick up pace or have any sort of narrative.

This movie feels like a nightmare ASMR or a full length creepy pasta. If you suffered from night terrors or sleep paralysis or experienced childhood trauma I think you could become extremely invested in this film and that is the only way this works. I didn't feel connected or engaged in the story (I've never been through any of the above) and the only film I can compare with regards to the pacing and somnolent effect this movie had is "Beyond the Black Rainbow".

Sounds like a bore.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Since op opened the topic i'm gonna ask advice for horror movies with big aquatic animals of any kind or just movies with monsters, mutated beasts or big ass animals.

I'm a sucker for well made creatures.
Not really what you are looking for but I just watched a film called Backcountry, One scene was pretty horrific.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love The Witch but it's a very slow burn. I could see some finding it boring, but I adore it.

The Empty Man was surprisingly good.

Ouija: Origin of Evil

It Follows

The Night House

Top Bottom