• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELP!! Transferring OS drive from Intel PC to Ryzen PC. Can it be done?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So my friend got a steal on a Ryzen 3900X and is wanting to replace his 8700K.

However, he wants to take the NVME with Windows 10 from his old system to his new one so that basically when we replace the mobo/CPU he can turn on the new system and it appear to be the same as the old.

However, I am all too aware that it is never that simple. I can’t see how doing such a thing won’t run into serious issues especially since it will be going from Intel to Ryzen.

my question to you guys is there a way to do what we are asking so that we can pop in the old NVME drive into the new system without having to do a fresh install? I’ve always done it that way myself, but my friend has so many programs and special settings that it would be a huge hassle and we want to try to avoid that.

can this be done? How so?

JimboJones

I think macrium reflect can do the job, I think they have a free version for cloning drives.
I used it when transferring my stuff from a sata ssd to an nvme one.
Wasn't a intel to amd situation, just a drive swap but it should work, may have to download some specific drivers though afterwards.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I feel like Windows hasn't cared about hardware for awhile now. We're long past that stupid shit where they assumed you were pirating software because you added a new harddrive.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes it can, but you have to install the AMD drivers afterwards. It's going to be slow otherwise. I did that and it can be done, without some advance tweaks.

chigstoke

Windows does a pretty good job now of avoiding driver conflicts when migrating to new machines, replacing parts etc… on bootup. Because you’d have the boot data on the NVMe, should just be able to swap the drive to the new system and then install the AMD Chipset Drivers.

Can then go and uninstall Intel stuff as required.

GHG

Having previously tried this and experiencing instability I'd suggest he backs up the files he needs and then doing a fresh install.

Backups to external storage or to the cloud is easy and quick these days so it's not much hassle.

Windows is not optimized for that to make a big difference in most cases, no compiler specific paths during install.

Still, I would do a full clone and then test.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I’d say don’t do it.
Backup the drive to something else then format and clean install

Then move the things needed from the backup.

its worth doing occasionally and a big hardware change is a good reason to do it
And cleare a cleaner install.

Last edited:

elliot5

i went from 6700k to 5600x without an issue. I think MAYBE I had to contact microsoft customer support over the chatroom thing to activate my windows but I was still able to use it no problem. That chat took like 3 minutes they sent an email to me and I responded with the code inside it or whatever iirc.

Top Bottom