• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! My Dualsense battery drains itself!

This has happened to me a few times, overnight the power is off and the controller just completely drains itself. I’m gonna wait till I’m not so lazy, and eventually call Sony and have warranty take care of it.

"I like Microsoft. Sony could have just been Microsoft FFS."
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Aside from the battery being a L-Ion cell that is not intended to be user replaceable the DS4 is a perfectly fine controller with all the features I'd ever want. Instead of fixing that one issue I have with it Sony just tacked on a load of gimmicky shit.

makaveli60

Hey man! I had this problem for two days in a row, then the problem just stopped. I think it must have really been a problem in the software.
Check out post #44 in this thread. Seems that might be the issue causing it since I pay attention not to do what it talks about and so far it works.

Faithless83

Banned
Edit 2 (solution?):
Thanks to post #44 of Faithless83 Faithless83 in this thread, we might have the solution for the issue. So you want to avoid doing this:
charging the Dualsense, turning the console off, and then removing the cable from the controller. I have been paying attention not to do this, and my Dualsense is working properly (after a reset, of course). So it indeed seems this is a software bug.

Original post: My Dualsense started acting weird recently. It drains the battery totally, I couldn’t even power on the console with it, it’s that empty. I thought the problem was gone after resetting the controller but after working properly for a week or so after this reset, today it did it again. I turned off my ps5 yesterday around 11 pm and now its battery is totally empty again. What causes this? How can I get rid of this issue?

Edit: it seems my OP was not clear. So this drain happens while the system and the controller is completely turned off. It goes from full to empty in less than a day, while not being used at all. A reset on the back of the controller solved this for a while but it started doing it again. Seems like some software bug to me
Glad it worked in the end, hopefully it will be fixed on a new update.

Jok'tan_2099

Neo Member
Check out post #44 in this thread. Seems that might be the issue causing it since I pay attention not to do what it talks about and so far it works.
In my case, I think it happened because sometimes the power went down or I took it out of the charger just before charging it completely, then when I put it to charge again it appeared as if it was complete, even though when I took it off it was still charging. Now that I’m not unplugging the cable at any time during charging it didn’t have the problem anymore. By the way, I created an account here just to say this hehe

This isn’t a software issue, mine stays charged for hours, way longer than my DualShock 4. Seems like a bad battery. Send it in, or play wired.
mine lasts about 6 hours or so, which admittedly is a little bit more than my ds4s used to last. my series controllers hold out a lot longer, so long i dont even know how long exactly.

not that it helps anyone, but my ps5 has started to give me brief green flickers (graphics issues) during DeS gameplay from time to time.

I today wanted to start a playthrough of TLOU2 on ps5. Too bad that apparently, the game seems to be among the few where if you play it on the ps5, the disc drive keeps spinning at full speed at all times, producing a loud noise unbearable for a normal person. Sony recommends tinkering with the console to make the drive a little less obnoxious. Absolutely hilarious. What an overengineered, half-baked piece of plastic trash. If not for the occasional exclusive title, nothing would save this platform from an objective point of view. But of course Europeans buy every turd that says "PlayStation" on it, my stupid ass included.

Mr Hyde

This happened to me right now. Never had this issue before. Came home from work and one of my controllers was completely drained. The console was in rest mode. It would suck if it's from the new update today. Everything was working fine and dandy. Very strange.

Darth Nugget

Neo Member
My controller has done this to me twice now, about 2 weeks apart, and I do the same thing every night so I know it's not a bad battery. I have 2 DualSenses, I play with one while another is always fully charged connected to USB, and at the end of the night I switch them out and put the fully charged one on my table so I can just use it right away the next day. Definitely a software issue or it would happen every other day when I use that controller. I'll try the method in post #44 and see what happens. Just weird that it only happens once in a while.

This is beyond a shadow of a doubt a software issue that all dualsense controllers are plagued by. The only discrepancy here is what specific sequence of events is triggering the bug to occur. It definitely seems plausible that somehow when disconnecting the cable after charging it to full, internally the controller is still powered on but without any LEDs active. This is draining the thing down overnight while you sleep and go to work, then when you go to use it it is completely dead. It seems the best strategy when charging it is to fully power cycle the controller for wireless use with it unplugged so you know 100% it isn't powered on.

MaDBrute

Banned
I think i has something to do with updates, when a game updated the controller was empty next day.
Now if a game updated, i turn my controller off/on and i powerdown and its ok next day.

Tschumi

Luckily Japan runs on nuclear and electricity is cheap enough that i can keep it in sleep mode all the time, and i always plug in my controller after use.

vkbest

There is probably a bug, where the gamepad is not turning off when you turn off PS5. Happened to me 2 times on the last 2 months.

Mine was doing it constantly and would sometimes be 100% flat so the system wouldn't even turn on but I think it was probably the issue in post #44 as I was charging both controllers from a USB cable plugged into the back of the system and just swapping them over.

Now I have the charger dock both batteries are solid and last as long as I would expect them to so I think my issue was software and not bad batteries.

Bankai

I have the same issue, glad to hear there's a temp solution instead of having to send the controllers back for replacements.

Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party loading docks? Are the official ones recommended?

makaveli60

Well I had to get used to always reseting my controller after charging it, as this problem came up even if I used it after charging and disconnecting the cable. It’s a shame I have to do this but at least this seems to work. Though I don’t know if this will cause any problems in the long run. I hope Sony is aware of this and will fix it since yeah, this is clearly some kind of a software bug somewhere.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
happened to mine.

Fully chaged. Turn off console.

Controller completely drained next day.

WTF.

Top Bottom