• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! My Dualsense battery drains itself!

makaveli60

Edit 2 (solution?):
Thanks to post #44 of Faithless83 Faithless83 in this thread, we might have the solution for the issue. So you want to avoid doing this:
charging the Dualsense, turning the console off, and then removing the cable from the controller. I have been paying attention not to do this, and my Dualsense is working properly (after a reset, of course). So it indeed seems this is a software bug.

Original post: My Dualsense started acting weird recently. It drains the battery totally, I couldn’t even power on the console with it, it’s that empty. I thought the problem was gone after resetting the controller but after working properly for a week or so after this reset, today it did it again. I turned off my ps5 yesterday around 11 pm and now its battery is totally empty again. What causes this? How can I get rid of this issue?

Edit: it seems my OP was not clear. So this drain happens while the system and the controller is completely turned off. It goes from full to empty in less than a day, while not being used at all. A reset on the back of the controller solved this for a while but it started doing it again. Seems like some software bug to me

Last edited:

makaveli60

I want to avoid sending in my only controller. Seems like a software issue to me. I wonder if there is some setting or something that causes it...

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
They could have added a better battery and analog sticks, but noooooooooo, they had to add an expensive rumble with expensive triggers and expensive microphone and expensive speakers, touchpad and light instead. Features that most games won't even bother using to begin with (or use it in an interesting way)

Like it or not, at least Microsoft improved on what was already good, and gives to option to use AA batteries as well.
Silver lining of this scenario is that companies not using the rumble will give your controller a bit more life

oh my god omg GIF

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like you need to get it sent in for replacement. The battery life is absolutely terrible using a game that takes advantage of all the features. Astrobot drains mine in no time.

They could have added a better battery and analog sticks, but noooooooooo, they had to add an expensive rumble with expensive triggers and expensive microphone and expensive speakers, touchpad and light instead. Features that most games won't even bother using to begin with (or use it in an interesting way)

Like it or not, at least Microsoft improved on what was already good, and gives to option to use AA batteries as well.
This. Can't understand the hype around the DualSense. Since I got my PS5 a week or so ago I've been wondering what people find so impressive about this thing. Battery life is abysmal. It draining itself is... something else. You should send it in, OP. Buy a second one in the meantime. The XO controller may not have a fancy new gimmick for this gen. But it works perfectly.

makaveli60

Sounds like you need to get it sent in for replacement. The battery life is absolutely terrible using a game that takes advantage of all the features. Astrobot drains mine in no time.
But it’s not about that, the controller battery drains itself while completely turned off.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why is this a thread? Your controller is faulty. Contact Sony. The sooner the better.

I want to avoid sending in my only controller. Seems like a software issue to me. I wonder if there is some setting or something that causes it...

This is why it sucks abandoning controllers from previous gens (not talking abut you but Sony).

I know what their solution is, and it's pretty shitty.

makaveli60

Why is this a thread? Your controller is faulty. Contact Sony. The sooner the better.

This is why it sucks abandoning controllers from previous gens (not talking abut you but Sony).

I know what their solution is, and it's pretty shitty.
I get this is the most obvious thing to do, but I want to avoid it, if possible... I suspect this is some software issue, as like I said, after a reset it worked properly for a while. I hoped there were users on gaf who know what can cause this issue.

Last edited:

clintar

Like it or not, at least Microsoft improved on what was already good, and gives the option to use AA batteries as well.
"I like Microsoft. Sony could have just been Microsoft FFS."

TransTrender

Gold Member
Seems I have no luck in here with my question. Oh well... at least I got to see your avatar!🤣
Hah!

Well if you don't care too much you can always do a Best Buy swaparoo, assuming you're in a place which has any decent big box retail.

My controller had stick drift and instead of dealing with the Sony RMA process I did a swap via Best Buy.
Yes, it's unethical.
No, I don't care.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The internal battery is most likely shot which means you need to replace it or the controller. Up to you but that would be my guess if you're saying the battery dies while not in use at all. Basically, it's not holding the charge.

makaveli60

The internal battery is most likely shot which means you need to replace it or the controller. Up to you but that would be my guess if you're saying the battery dies while not in use at all. Basically, it's not holding the charge.
It’s not that, it’s like it is being used by something. The backside of the controller is slightly warm. So the controller and system are off but something is still draining the battery. A reset on the controller seemingly solves it for a while. This is why I think this is some software bug, especially now that Sony uses updates on the controller too.

makaveli60

"Nice" to hear I'm not alone since most people even didn't understand my problem.

Started this thread with the same issue

For me, it somehow works for now.
Maybe just reset the controllers again, like Sony described in the mail they sent me. Probably it's a rare bug and it hit you twice.

My guess was the microphone stays on for some reason, but I didn't test it yet.
Finally, I’m not alone! Jokes aside, going to read your thread. Though based on your OP, my case is even stranger, as I don’t even use rest mode (heard it can cause problems), I always turn off the whole system completely.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This. Can't understand the hype around the DualSense. Since I got my PS5 a week or so ago I've been wondering what people find so impressive about this thing. Battery life is abysmal. It draining itself is... something else. You should send it in, OP. Buy a second one in the meantime. The XO controller may not have a fancy new gimmick for this gen. But it works perfectly.
It didn't need any new gimmick. The Xbone controller was nearly perfect. The Series one is even better now that they added the texture. I think the pad might be a downgrade though. Most games I play use the dpad as buttons. I found I had some errors in Immortals using potions. I would think I was hitting up but was hitting diagonal and using health and strength potions when I only wanted to use health. I adjusted for the most part.

I am not impressed with the PS5 controller. It feels better than the PS4 one and I do like the big button even if it is supposed to be a touchpad. The battery life is terrible though.

Last edited:

Aenima

Like it or not, at least Microsoft improved on what was already good, and gives the option to use AA batteries as well.
Dualsense battery is bigger than Dualshock 4 battery. Even with all the new tech it lasts longer in a single charge than a brand new DS4.
New DS4 lasted between 8-12h of charge. Dualsense lasts between 10-14h of charge.

The DualSense controller packs a 1,560 mAh battery, giving it a capacity over 1.5 times that of the DualShock 4’s 1000 mAh battery.

Ofc. In both controllers if a game makes heavy use of all the feautures the battery will drain faster. Example is Astro Playroom that uses all the Dualsense feautures all the time, draining it much faster than in normal gameplay on other games.

OP was unlucky and got a faulty controller.

Last edited:
Finally, I’m not alone! Jokes aside, going to read your thread. Though based on your OP, my case is even stranger, as I don’t even use rest mode (heard it can cause problems), I always turn off the whole system completely.

I've seen this with a few Dualsense controllers now, a couple examples off a search:

One of the chips, or possibly a board in the controller is likely shorting. Probably the PMIC chip. If that's the case which is very likely you can't fix it yourself unless you have a replacement chip and know how to reset a chip on a PCB.

I would just return it or contact Sony for a replacement.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I've seen this with a few Dualsense controllers now, a couple examples off a search:

One of the chips, or possibly a board in the controller is likely shorting. Probably the PMIC chip. If that's the case which is very likely you can't fix it yourself unless you have a replacement chip and know how to reset a chip on a PCB.

I would just return it or contact Sony for a replacement.

Not what I hoped to be the problem, but thanks anyway!

And for the record: Dualsense is imho the best controller I ever used and the battery is much better than the Dualshock 4 was, so this is definitely not a thread about bashing it, even if some posters are misunderstanding it...

Not what I hoped to be the problem, but thanks anyway!

And for the record: Dualsense is imho the best controller I ever used and the battery is much better than the Dualshock 4 was, so this is definitely not a thread about bashing it, even if some posters are misunderstanding it...

The controller is having a few common issues that should be pointed out just like the Xbox Elite controller issues and Joycon issues, otherwise they'll never be addressed. I don't see how it can offend someone else if a potential issue is pointed out, especially if they also might run into the same issue down the road. Then they'll be glad there is a precedent for it and there will be more avenues for assistance with the product if everyone with issues make a point to explain their issue. As much as I don't care for social media, this is one of it's good points, consumers have a direct feed to these companies and can bring attention to issues like this.

Pointing out issues with the S1 Elite Controller made MS implement sweeping changes for the S2. Shorter paddles, rubber coating that doesn't come off after 3 months, metal hats on metal posts in the analog units instead of metal on plastic which caused the hats to eat the posts over time, a built-in 40hr battery w/charger and a longer warranty. The complaints about the S2 issues like unresponsive face buttons and drift issues should help prevent future issues (we'll see, I doubt drift is going away as long as click sticks exist). For a $200 controller none of these issues are acceptable and it's understandable why people would be quick to point them out.

The Dualsense isn't $200, but pointing out the Dual Sense issues like snapped trigger springs, broken trigger feedback screws, Stick drift and defective circuitry causing batteries to self-deplete should still be the norm. It doesn't take anything away from what makes the controller good but it will hopefully correct the issues that detract from that. It's nothing people should be getting offended by.

Zeroing

Banned
Errr, I am almost sure that if you open the controller you will realize that the battery is inflated/bloated.
I could be wrong but I think the Battery needs replacement. We have iPads, Samsung phones that explode! Battery technology didn’t advanced much.

Faithless83

Banned
Yep, that’s why I’m thinking that this is some software bug if a reset solves it for a while.

Quick google search about it and this could be your solution:

"If you pulled it off the doc/pulled the cable out of the pad when charged, the pad would be dead the next day. So you had to take it off the dock, turn it on and then turn it off again."

Looks like it's turning on after you disconnect it from the cable. Likely software bug.

makaveli60

Quick google search about it and this could be your solution:

"If you pulled it off the doc/pulled the cable out of the pad when charged, the pad would be dead the next day. So you had to take it off the dock, turn it on and then turn it off again."

Looks like it's turning on after you disconnect it from the cable. Likely software bug.

Thanks, will keep a look out for this!

I had the exact same problem with my controller too. I initially chalked it up to using a magnetic USB C adapter on the controller. Those things are apparently pure cancer for battery charging circuits. The little micro disconnects that happen rapidly every second from slightly disengaging the contacts is like starting and stopping a car engine a hundred times a second.

If you used any of these magnetic adapters on your controller, this might be the problem. If however you didn't use these, then this issue is 100% just a defect inside dualsense controllers right now that some people face. I was lucky enough to be able to return mine to best buy for full refund. It worked out for me because I didn't want a white dualsense anyway, so I'll wait for the eventual black one with colored buttons.

makaveli60

I had the exact same problem with my controller too. I initially chalked it up to using a magnetic USB C adapter on the controller. Those things are apparently pure cancer for battery charging circuits. The little micro disconnects that happen rapidly every second from slightly disengaging the contacts is like starting and stopping a car engine a hundred times a second.

If you used any of these magnetic adapters on your controller, this might be the problem. If however you didn't use these, then this issue is 100% just a defect inside dualsense controllers right now that some people face. I was lucky enough to be able to return mine to best buy for full refund. It worked out for me because I didn't want a white dualsense anyway, so I'll wait for the eventual black one with colored buttons.
I didn’t but it’s good to know so I will never use such a thing.

bender

What time is it?

I'd guess both Sony and Microsoft use the same potentiometer for the analog sticks so I'm not sure what makes one better than the other?

REDRZA MWS

This isn’t a software issue, mine stays charged for hours, way longer than my DualShock 4. Seems like a bad battery. Send it in, or play wired.

Top Bottom