• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me Gaf about deciding my new Gpu for my current and next pc!

V4skunk

Banned
of course i will, i just want something really future proof, that can last me years!
Do it then. Just know that a 2080 is a waste until you upgrade your cpu and ram. You are better of getting a used gpu on ebay for now like a rx580 for cheap and save for the full upgrade in a year.
No point in splashing out £600 now when in a year a £400 card will be better.

luca_29_bg

Do it then. Just know that a 2080 is a waste until you upgrade your cpu and ram. You are better of getting a used gpu on ebay for now like a rx580 for cheap and save for the full upgrade in a year.
No point in splashing out £600 now when in a year a £400 card will be better.

The problem is that i can't wait a year, because i need absolutely a new gpu, my 5850 can't let me do anything. And i don't want a stop gag gpu. But i don't know at what price i can find a 2080, i have a friend that can access to a wholesale seller, i build this pc with parts from this seller in 2010, and maybe i can find one at a very good price. Now i will decide what to do.

Trimesh

Banned
the i7 920 is from the same era of my cpu if i'm not wrong and it's doing fine :/

Kind of depends on your definition of "fine" - Watch Dogs 2 is a good example of what I'm talking about - go to 6:34 and look at the CPU and GPU numbers - the CPU is at 98% load but the GPU is at 48% load - this is an excellent illustration of the situation where the CPU is bottlenecking the video card. In this case, you could have a video card that had half the performance and get exactly the same results on the screen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hi gaffers, look, i need your advices about a new gpu to buy. I have an old i7 860 oc 3.7 ghz, 8 gb ram and a corsair psu 650 watt, until a month ago i had a 7950 oc boost edition but it started to show gray lines and small cubes across the screen, and it was right, i keept that poor thing overclocked to 1150 mhz since i bought it in 2013 so i can't complain in anyway. Now i have my previous gpu inside my pc, a 5850 with 1 gb that can't even keep 60 fps with bloostained at low settings :( plus the vram don't let me do anything (i create animated pandas for funny video, and i starting to use heavily photoshop and soon i will start to use adobe after affect and other video editors and i absolutely need a lot more vram and power!), so my plan it's to buy an rtx 2080, because i have intention to build my new pc after the new console will be out, and i would like to get a gpu enought powerful that can drive me at least at the middle of the generation of ps5/xbox next. So keep you in mind this thing:

I don't care about high framerates, with my 7950 i played at 30 at 1080p for years (i have a 55 inch smart samsung tv from 2014 with my pc connected to it) but i care about maximum gpu settings in games (cpu not so much for obvious reason...) and i like a LOT downsampling and supersampling, reshade,etc.

So my main question is this, i will have any problem with a 2080 rtx gpu in my actual pc ? The gpu would be limited by the cpu only for the high frame rates, right ? But for games that my cpu can run at 30 fps or 60 fps i will not have any problem , this is correct ? And if i play at 1080p at 30 with a 2080 i should have enough headroom for decent downsampling, right ?

I would like to wait till next year to see what nvidia or amd will bring on the market but i can't keep my 5850 anymore, i can't do anything with this thing, and i don't want to buy a stop gag gpu now and buy another one next year, so what do you think people ? Thank to anyone in advance will help me with any advice !

(Forgive my english, i'm still learning!)

P.s i have already opened this thread on era but i would like to get opinions from both forum experts!
It would be absolutely stupid to get a 2080 and pair it up with that CPU. The 2080 will massively bottlenecked. There really truly is no point to spending $600+ on a GPU with a CPU that is that old.

Since you're considering a 2080 lets assume that you have a $600 budget. Most 2080s are going for $700, but $600 is possible if you look.

Option 1:
Get the 2080 and have it perform badly, also there is no gaurantee that it will even work well with that CPU. You could run into compatibility issues on a motherboard that old.

Option 2: $600 can get you the following.
$100 - B450 motherboard
$145 - Ryzen 2600 (even comes with a cooler)
$80 - 16GB of 3000 RAM
$269 - 1660 Ti

Option 2 is a much much much better use of your money. Using the AM4 also affords you the option to upgrade your CPU down the road. Option 2 can potentially take you beyond 2021.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd say if you want a 2080 wait a little bit, existing 2080's are going to get a price cut and nVidia is releasing a 2080 "super" in July for the existing 2080 price. So you'll either get a card that's faster for the same money or a current 2080 for a reduced price.

Correct, you will be able to do 4K 30fps via nVidia DSR easily if 30 fps is your target. Your CPU will be fine for high res gaming where the GPU will be the bottleneck.

If you want a 2080, just wait.

Apparently a 2080 Super is going to come out which will knock the 2080 down in price, with the Super version then being inline with the current 2080 price.

Then just get whichever. I'd go for the Super seeing as it's the same price but if you want to save money then the best thing to do is just wait a while.

The current versions of the 20 series are not getting a price cut. The super ones are going to cost more.

Dumb I know.

Last edited:

somerset

1) 2080 is 1080TI+ performance, so is a good level to own across many years, and will then still be useful to repurpose in a kid's build many years from now.

2) But now is a *bad* time to buy. Give it a few weeks, so Nvidia can announce the *super* range, and help lower the price of the old turing 2080 somewhat.

3) this level of GPU is *very* easy to bottleneck even at lower framerates. This has to do with the archaic Intel designed architecture of *all* PCs, and the rotten way the CPU has to send data to the GPU. So honestly I'd hit Youtube, and google some of the many benchmark videos to see whether you feel happy about the compromises your current PC will impose on such a GPU.

4) another option would be to aim *low* for the time being, with the intention of waiting a year for things to really kick off, especially when nvidia gets its 7nm parts out from samsung. Low would mean a rock bottom priced 580 from AMD- the very best current performance per dollar for people willing to 'suffer' 1080 for a little longer. A 580 can be had for 1/7 the cost of the 2080. No-one wants to be stuck on a 580, but at the same time no real money is wasted buying one. And the GPU market is in its biggest state of flux in many many years.

It is true that if you are going to invest a lot on a GPU, anything less than a 1080TI is a waste of money. AMD's new navi parts are so disappointing cos after years, they still don't reach 1080TI levels, making them poor upgrades for too many of us. But the insanely inflated GPU price bubble is close to bursting, thanks to the new consoles (which will both be far faster than 1080TIs). However we all know that waiting sucks.

People who bought the 1080TI when first available are laughing, cos of how many years the card has of great life. Expensive yes, but the real expense is cost per year of decent use. The similar 2080 is much later, and has less life because of this now new GPUs will rapidly improve across the next 2+ years. Yet I'd expect it to still kick backside at 1440 in 4 years time- which seems to be your priority.

But like I said, please try to give it a few more weeks and allow the price war to start to have some impact. You've suffered that 7950 for a *long* time (and i did the same with a 6870, and had a *lot* of 'fun' fixing games to work OK with its 1GB limit)- so long in fact you deserve to benefit from Nvidia's desperate need to sell more, and the impact of greater competition from AMD.

PS supersampling- hmmm, not even Nvida sells its cards on this 'feature'. Yeah the better the GPU and the lower your native rez, the more you can try to do this- but don't put too much stock in this idea. It is not what GPUs are made for, for obvious reasons. Prehistoric games, for sure. New stuff- I don't think so.

PPS when you finally build a new PC with a decent CPU and decent RAM, you'll get another nice boost with this new GPU, so there's that to look forward too as well.

Last edited:
Perfect! This is all i wanted to know. However do you think i will have problems playing in 1080p at 30/60 (in games where my cpu can keep 60fps of course !) ?
30fps should be fine, in 99% cases. Your CPU while old is still far better than the console jaguar chips. 60 fps however will be dependent on the game though and how CPU intensive it is. Games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey gives my 7700K a hard time at 60Fps and up.

V4skunk

Banned
The problem is that i can't wait a year, because i need absolutely a new gpu, my 5850 can't let me do anything. And i don't want a stop gag gpu. But i don't know at what price i can find a 2080, i have a friend that can access to a wholesale seller, i build this pc with parts from this seller in 2010, and maybe i can find one at a very good price. Now i will decide what to do.
I just looked on eBay! You can get a 8gb rx580 for less than £100 and it will mop the floor with your 7950.
You now £500 ready for a full build in a year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
2) But now is a *bad* time to buy. Give it a few weeks, so Nvidia can announce the *super* range, and help lower the price of the old turing 2080 somewhat.
That doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that nvidia will keep the prices of the vanilla RTX cards the same and raise the price of the Super cards.

luca_29_bg

Kind of depends on your definition of "fine" - Watch Dogs 2 is a good example of what I'm talking about - go to 6:34 and look at the CPU and GPU numbers - the CPU is at 98% load but the GPU is at 48% load - this is an excellent illustration of the situation where the CPU is bottlenecking the video card. In this case, you could have a video card that had half the performance and get exactly the same results on the screen.

i understand your point but first, i will play at 30 open world games like that, and second i can use downsampling from higher resolution, and the gpu will be much more stressed. And that's the main point, i want real high headrom for downsampling for any game.

luca_29_bg

I just looked on eBay! You can get a 8gb rx580 for less than £100 and it will mop the floor with your 7950.
You now £500 ready for a full build in a year.

I want to play with downsampled 4k to 1080 when i like it! A 580 is a 1080p gpu, no headroom enough for my needs.

luca_29_bg

30fps should be fine, in 99% cases. Your CPU while old is still far better than the console jaguar chips. 60 fps however will be dependent on the game though and how CPU intensive it is. Games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey gives my 7700K a hard time at 60Fps and up.

I know! I can still play a lot a games at 60, but my old 7950 wasn't capable anymore to keep 60 fps in full hd in max gpu settings in game in its latest years of life. I know that open world games are very taxing for cpu side of things, but reducing some settings like detail, complexity of npc usually helps a lot. However i played at 30 in the recent years most of the time with my 7950 so it's not a problem for me at all!

Trimesh

Banned
i understand your point but first, i will play at 30 open world games like that, and second i can use downsampling from higher resolution, and the gpu will be much more stressed. And that's the main point, i want real high headrom for downsampling for any game.
As I said before, if you really want a 2080 then go for it :messenger_grinning:

Certainly, if you can tolerate lower frame rates then the relatively underpowered CPU won't make so much difference - most of the advice in this thread basically comes down to "you could get a better overall experience by aiming for less GPU and more CPU".

I'm running an old i7-4790K and a 1080 (non-Ti) - and, honestly, I would probably be more likely to upgrade my CPU than my GPU at this point.

luca_29_bg

It would be absolutely stupid to get a 2080 and pair it up with that CPU. The 2080 will massively bottlenecked. There really truly is no point to spending $600+ on a GPU with a CPU that is that old.

Since you're considering a 2080 lets assume that you have a $600 budget. Most 2080s are going for $700, but $600 is possible if you look.

Option 1:
Get the 2080 and have it perform badly, also there is no gaurantee that it will even work well with that CPU. You could run into compatibility issues on a motherboard that old.

Option 2: $600 can get you the following.
$100 - B450 motherboard
$145 - Ryzen 2600 (even comes with a cooler)
$80 - 16GB of 3000 RAM
$269 - 1660 Ti

Option 2 is a much much much better use of your money. Using the AM4 also affords you the option to upgrade your CPU down the road. Option 2 can potentially take you beyond 2021.

Thank you for you advice but no thanks, people continue to not understand that i don't have any problem playing at 30/60 when my cpu let me do that. I will change my pc in 2021 maximum with a correct build for my needs. Let's see how long until someone else suggest me to change my pc now. :D

luca_29_bg

As I said before, if you really want a 2080 then go for it :messenger_grinning:

Certainly, if you can tolerate lower frame rates then the relatively underpowered CPU won't make so much difference - most of the advice in this thread basically comes down to "you could get a better overall experience by aiming for less GPU and more CPU".

I'm running an old i7-4790K and a 1080 (non-Ti) - and, honestly, I would probably be more likely to upgrade my CPU than my GPU at this point.

Trust me, i don't have any problem with 30 fps in a lot of games. But I can't tolerate 2d sidescroller games like metroidavania games at 30, and playing right now bloodstained at a locked 50 to avoid too much fluctuation is still not ideal for me. However i can wait some more time to see these super cards how they will be, maybe a 2070 super will be enough for me.

luca_29_bg

1) 2080 is 1080TI+ performance, so is a good level to own across many years, and will then still be useful to repurpose in a kid's build many years from now.

3) this level of GPU is *very* easy to bottleneck even at lower framerates. This has to do with the archaic Intel designed architecture of *all* PCs, and the rotten way the CPU has to send data to the GPU. So honestly I'd hit Youtube, and google some of the many benchmark videos to see whether you feel happy about the compromises your current PC will impose on such a GPU.

4) another option would be to aim *low* for the time being, with the intention of waiting a year for things to really kick off, especially when nvidia gets its 7nm parts out from samsung. Low would mean a rock bottom priced 580 from AMD- the very best current performance per dollar for people willing to 'suffer' 1080 for a little longer. A 580 can be had for 1/7 the cost of the 2080. No-one wants to be stuck on a 580, but at the same time no real money is wasted buying one. And the GPU market is in its biggest state of flux in many many years.

It is true that if you are going to invest a lot on a GPU, anything less than a 1080TI is a waste of money. AMD's new navi parts are so disappointing cos after years, they still don't reach 1080TI levels, making them poor upgrades for too many of us. But the insanely inflated GPU price bubble is close to bursting, thanks to the new consoles (which will both be far faster than 1080TIs). However we all know that waiting sucks.

People who bought the 1080TI when first available are laughing, cos of how many years the card has of great life. Expensive yes, but the real expense is cost per year of decent use. The similar 2080 is much later, and has less life because of this now new GPUs will rapidly improve across the next 2+ years. Yet I'd expect it to still kick backside at 1440 in 4 years time- which seems to be your priority.

But like I said, please try to give it a few more weeks and allow the price war to start to have some impact. You've suffered that 7950 for a *long* time (and i did the same with a 6870, and had a *lot* of 'fun' fixing games to work OK with its 1GB limit)- so long in fact you deserve to benefit from Nvidia's desperate need to sell more, and the impact of greater competition from AMD.

PS supersampling- hmmm, not even Nvida sells its cards on this 'feature'. Yeah the better the GPU and the lower your native rez, the more you can try to do this- but don't put too much stock in this idea. It is not what GPUs are made for, for obvious reasons. Prehistoric games, for sure. New stuff- I don't think so.

PPS when you finally build a new PC with a decent CPU and decent RAM, you'll get another nice boost with this new GPU, so there's that to look forward too as well.

Very informative post, thank you!!! Yes i will wait of course, i'm tempted so much right now because i'm playing bloodstained and i can't even have 60 fps in a game like this. I locked it at 50 to avoid to much fluctuation, but 1 gb vram limit cause stuttering eveytime i change location! For games like this 60 fps are absolutely needed for me, but i can wait, i don't like to gift money to nvidia, because i consider their actual RTX line way too much overpriced, i'm just starting to look around for something that can last me years, and it will be usable with the new pc as well. A situation similar to what happened to the 1080ti would be wonderful for me!

About downsampling, supersampling, well many recent games have a resolution multiplier right now, it's very common to find this option in games lately, so even if downsampling from nvidia driver will not work, that included in games will work for sure, right ?

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

THis is terrible advice. With the CPU he is using, he can forget about ray tracing. Ray tracing on a 2080 is barely playable even when paired with a 9900K

What my cpu have anything to do with raytracing if it's hardware accelerated by the gpu ? :/ And i want to try it at 1080p/30 of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that nvidia will keep the prices of the vanilla RTX cards the same and raise the price of the Super cards.

That does seem likely unfortunately. I'm going to keep an eye on GPU prices this Black Friday/Cyber monday, but I'm leaning more toward just not upgrading my PC and just going back to having an Xbox along side my Playstation and Nintendo consoles. Gamepass is the main reason I'd bother upgrading the PC as I just failed to get into PC exclusives other than a few indies (which don't need an upgrade) and don't care that much about graphics and performance the older I get. Hell, I'm in zero hurry to upgrade to a 4K tv. Just doesn't make sense for me to pay current GPU prices given all that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trimesh

Banned
What my cpu have anything to do with raytracing if it's hardware accelerated by the gpu ? :/ And i want to try it at 1080p/30 of course.

Because it's not entirely handled by the GPU - the RTX cards add two hardware elements to the card - one is the RT cores, which basically compute the intersection between a ray and a plane defined by 3 points. The other is the tensor cores, which are fundamentally used for AI calculations, but in the context of RT are used to handle noise reduction. The CPU has the job of taking the output of the RT cores. feeding it into the tensor cores and then feeding the result to the rendering engine. As a result, turning RTX on will result in a very large increase in CPU load, even if the card you are using "supports ray tracing".

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
please don't buy a 2080.

it will be severely bottle necked by your CPU + RAM! 8GB is the absolute bare minimum for gaming these days. your CPU is very very old. as i see it, you have two options:

1. buy something like a cheap used 1050, 1050 Ti, 1060 or a 1650 and call it a day if you're really happy with your CPU + RAM (basically the lowest spec GPU for the last 2 generations)

2. think about building a whole new PC - pick up a Ryzen 1600/1600X or 2600/2600X with a cheap b350 or b450 motherboard (respectively). ideally get 16GB ram. if you do this you'll need a new GPU (since these AMD cpus don't have a GPU on the chip). if this is gonna add too much to the cost then i would recommend a 2200G or 2400G (with a b450 board). it should not only provide a good boost in CPU performance but it will have a GPU in the chip which should be a good upgrade. you can always buy a dedicated GPU later on.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

please don't buy a 2080.

it will be severely bottle necked by your CPU + RAM! 8GB is the absolute bare minimum for gaming these days. your CPU is very very old. as i see it, you have two options:

1. buy something like a cheap used 1050, 1050 Ti, 1060 or a 1650 and call it a day if you're really happy with your CPU + RAM (basically the lowest spec GPU for the last 2 generations)

2. think about building a whole new PC - pick up a Ryzen 1600/1600X or 2600/2600X with a cheap b350 or b450 motherboard (respectively). ideally get 16GB ram. if you do this you'll need a new GPU (since these AMD cpus don't have a GPU on the chip). if this is gonna add too much to the cost then i would recommend a 2200G or 2400G (with a b450 board). it should not only provide a good boost in CPU performance but it will have a GPU in the chip which should be a good upgrade. you can always buy a dedicated GPU later on.

Read the previous messages. :)

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Because it's not entirely handled by the GPU - the RTX cards add two hardware elements to the card - one is the RT cores, which basically compute the intersection between a ray and a plane defined by 3 points. The other is the tensor cores, which are fundamentally used for AI calculations, but in the context of RT are used to handle noise reduction. The CPU has the job of taking the output of the RT cores. feeding it into the tensor cores and then feeding the result to the rendering engine. As a result, turning RTX on will result in a very large increase in CPU load, even if the card you are using "supports ray tracing".

Uhm interesting, there are benchmarks that show the cpu increase load ?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thank you for you advice but no thanks, people continue to not understand that i don't have any problem playing at 30/60 when my cpu let me do that. I will change my pc in 2021 maximum with a correct build for my needs. Let's see how long until someone else suggest me to change my pc now. :D
It’s your money to do what you want, but buying a 2080 is an absolutely dumb decision and a horrible waste of it’s potential with a motherboard/CPU combo that is around 10 years old.

The option I gave you where you buy a 1660 Ti and upgrade your mobo/CPU will go a much longer way.

If you’re dead set on leaving your motherboard and CPU alone, then as others have suggested you’re far better off saving money and getting something like a 1060 or 570/580 and putting the saved money towards your brand new system in a few years. The $450 you save will go a long way.

If you’re deadset on buying a 2080 then by all means but you’re wasting your money big time and by the time you get a CPU that can take advantage of it the card could be out of date.

I’m just one person telling the same thing almost everyone else is telling you.

luca_29_bg

It’s your money to do what you want, but buying a 2080 is an absolutely dumb decision and a horrible waste of it’s potential with a motherboard/CPU combo that is around 10 years old.

The option I gave you where you buy a 1660 Ti and upgrade your mobo/CPU will go a much longer way.

If you’re dead set on leaving your motherboard and CPU alone, then as others have suggested you’re far better off saving money and getting something like a 1060 or 570/580 and putting the saved money towards your brand new system in a few years. The $450 you save will go a long way.

If you’re deadset on buying a 2080 then by all means but you’re wasting your money big time and by the time you get a CPU that can take advantage of it the card could be out of date.

I’m just one person telling the same thing almost everyone else is telling you.

And i appreciate you opinion, but as i wrote multiple times, i'm looking for a gpu that can last me years and can let me do what i want to do, downsampling, supersampling, etc for years. 1060-570-580 are 1080p cards and these can't do this. If an actual high end card will last me at least 4-5 years, i will be happy, but considering my habits i bet it can last more! I kept my 7950 until it fried, so....:D

bobone

I know others have said it, but I have an i7 860 in my backup computer. Only used when friends come over and want to play PubG or something together.

That CPU bottlenecks the GTX 1060 that is in it. Pretty hard too.
Buy a $100 1050ti or a 1060 at most.

Clarissa

Banned
Gonna give you all an analogy.

Think of a high end gpu e.g rtx 2080 ti as a 20 year old very hot supermodel

Your ancient cpu is your 85 year old grand dad. And he wants to bang that hot supermodel badly. But no matter how hard he tries to get it up, he simply can't.

If you wanna run a high end gpu on an ancient cpu, that's what's gonna happen.

CyberPanda

Banned

Your ancient cpu is your 85 year old grand dad. And he wants to bang that hot supermodel badly. But no matter how hard he tries to get it up, he simply can't.

😂

Right now I have a i7-4960x (at 4.5ghz) and a 1070ti

For my PC side I game on a 1440 monitor.

For the most part I’m pretty pleased still but I know both of these need upgrades sooner than later.

I’m contemplating going AMD with my next CPU, but for GPU I’m sticking with Nvidia.

I’m come close to pulling the trigger on a 2080 over the last couple months but I always bail out before finalizing purchase.

What would you guys do?

CyberPanda

Banned
Right now I have a i7-4960x (at 4.5ghz) and a 1070ti

For my PC side I game on a 1440 monitor.

For the most part I’m pretty pleased still but I know both of these need upgrades sooner than later.

I’m contemplating going AMD with my next CPU, but for GPU I’m sticking with Nvidia.

I’m come close to pulling the trigger on a 2080 over the last couple months but I always bail out before finalizing purchase.

What would you guys do?
Do whatever you want! It's your money sweetie, and you deserve the best. hugs and kisses.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And i appreciate you opinion, but as i wrote multiple times, i'm looking for a gpu that can last me years and can let me do what i want to do, downsampling, supersampling, etc for years. 1060-570-580 are 1080p cards and these can't do this.
That’s the thing. You won’t be able to do that now with your CPU you have right now. Not even a 2080 Ti is going to have a 4-5 shelf life and be dominate.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

How did I miss such an epic post?!

Shifty1897

I wouldn't buy a GPU right now. Consoles drive system requirements, not PCs. With the new consoles around the corner, any GPU you buy today may be inferior to the next generation consoles when the come out in 2020/2021. It's my experience that the best time to buy a GPU is the next iteration after new consoles release. You'll be able to better feel out what will get you a locked 1080p 60fps with next gen software after that.

If you want to game now, pick up a GTX 970 / 1060 or 1660 now, and upgrade your cpu/ram/motherboard with a new GPU in one swoop in 2020/2021.

longdi

Banned
I seen RTX prices going down. By end of next week, when Super gets out, it should go down a bit more.

However TS, your PC specs are old, better wait awhile for Ryzen 2 in Jul. Make do with cheap gpu now like 1060/RX580, if you need to play games, or just a 750ti to use your PC.

Seriously i7 860k was good but when you jump to Ryzen or Intel 9 series, the performance uplift will be huge. Trust me, i am an expert.

Sweetloaf

i just want something really future proof, that can last me years!

Unfortunately there's no such thing in the PC world. I think people are just trying to stop you wasting your your money on something that will not benefit you. The GFX card will only do what the CPU tells it to do therefore when your CPU is at 100%, a mismatched GPU is largely wasting it's time. Why not get an RTX2060 if you want to see what ray tracing looks like, still a little wasted in that system but RT capable (sort of). Or a second hand GTX 1070, I believe has RT enabled these days. With the money you save you'll be able to build a new PC sooner as the 2080 is daft money. The above cards will also be easier on you PSU.

However, just buy a 2080 and try it if you want, it's your money :). People are suggesting alternatives because you've asked. Very few people on here would match that GPU with your current CPU. For the cost of a 2080 you could build an entire system based on a cheaper card and more recent i5 that would give you better performance than putting a 2080 in your current system.

Trimesh

Banned
Uhm interesting, there are benchmarks that show the cpu increase load ?

I can't give you any numbers, but when I borrowed my friend's 2080 and put it in my machine the increase in CPU load was very obvious with RTX on. That's honestly the main reason I didn't get one, since it seemed that I would not be able to use the biggest feature of this new card without killing performance.

luca_29_bg

I seen RTX prices going down. By end of next week, when Super gets out, it should go down a bit more.

However TS, your PC specs are old, better wait awhile for Ryzen 2 in Jul. Make do with cheap gpu now like 1060/RX580, if you need to play games, or just a 750ti to use your PC.

Seriously i7 860k was good but when you jump to Ryzen or Intel 9 series, the performance uplift will be huge. Trust me, i am an expert.

I know that the differences will be huge abut cpu side, but as i said, i will not update until late 2020/2021. For now my pc is good for me. My plan was to buy a gpu that could last me for the entire ps5 generation, usable now and with the new rig in the future. Just this. But i have still not yet decided what to do.

luca_29_bg

I wouldn't buy a GPU right now. Consoles drive system requirements, not PCs. With the new consoles around the corner, any GPU you buy today may be inferior to the next generation consoles when the come out in 2020/2021. It's my experience that the best time to buy a GPU is the next iteration after new consoles release. You'll be able to better feel out what will get you a locked 1080p 60fps with next gen software after that.

If you want to game now, pick up a GTX 970 / 1060 or 1660 now, and upgrade your cpu/ram/motherboard with a new GPU in one swoop in 2020/2021.

This is what scary me most, and makes me not so sure about 2080.

luca_29_bg

That’s the thing. You won’t be able to do that now with your CPU you have right now. Not even a 2080 Ti is going to have a 4-5 shelf life and be dominate.

I used a 7950 from 2013 till 2019 and it was capable to play games in 1080p with high settings even in 2019, and of course , as i said, i will change my rig in 2020/21 because i know that multiplatform games that will be out only for ps5 (no more ps4 crossgen) will not work well on my cpu.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

I honestly don't think you'll have good performance downsampling from 4k.
You'll be lucky if the 2080 runs anything modern like BF5 maxed out at 1080p with stable fps with your cpu.

So a 2080 can't give me locked 30 fps because the cpu ? ( i don't play first person shooters, i don't like these types of games)

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

I just need 30 fps minimum, rememeber this :D

Top Bottom