• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me Gaf about deciding my new Gpu for my current and next pc!

luca_29_bg

Hi gaffers, look, i need your advices about a new gpu to buy. I have an old i7 860 oc 3.7 ghz, 8 gb ram and a corsair psu 650 watt, until a month ago i had a 7950 oc boost edition but it started to show gray lines and small cubes across the screen, and it was right, i keept that poor thing overclocked to 1150 mhz since i bought it in 2013 so i can't complain in anyway. Now i have my previous gpu inside my pc, a 5850 with 1 gb that can't even keep 60 fps with bloostained at low settings :( plus the vram don't let me do anything (i create animated pandas for funny video, and i starting to use heavily photoshop and soon i will start to use adobe after affect and other video editors and i absolutely need a lot more vram and power!), so my plan it's to buy an rtx 2080, because i have intention to build my new pc after the new console will be out, and i would like to get a gpu enought powerful that can drive me at least at the middle of the generation of ps5/xbox next. So keep you in mind this thing:

I don't care about high framerates, with my 7950 i played at 30 at 1080p for years (i have a 55 inch smart samsung tv from 2014 with my pc connected to it) but i care about maximum gpu settings in games (cpu not so much for obvious reason...) and i like a LOT downsampling and supersampling, reshade,etc.

So my main question is this, i will have any problem with a 2080 rtx gpu in my actual pc ? The gpu would be limited by the cpu only for the high frame rates, right ? But for games that my cpu can run at 30 fps or 60 fps i will not have any problem , this is correct ? And if i play at 1080p at 30 with a 2080 i should have enough headroom for decent downsampling, right ?

I would like to wait till next year to see what nvidia or amd will bring on the market but i can't keep my 5850 anymore, i can't do anything with this thing, and i don't want to buy a stop gag gpu now and buy another one next year, so what do you think people ? Thank to anyone in advance will help me with any advice !

(Forgive my english, i'm still learning!)

P.s i have already opened this thread on era but i would like to get opinions from both forum experts!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I’m not yet experienced in PC builds. But this top lad right here helped me build my PC and I’m sure he’ll help you too!

888 888 Unleash the beast baby

luca_29_bg

I’m not yet experienced in PC builds. But this top lad right here helped me build my PC and I’m sure he’ll help you too!

888 888 Unleash the beast baby

Thank you, but for the new pc i have to wait next year or start 2021. I just hope i can use a 2080 without any problem with my current pc for while, until i can build the new one!

luca_29_bg

That's a tough call. In my opinion, you're better off getting something like a 1060 6gb if you're only at 1080p. It'll be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and will hold you over till 2021 when you can really rebuild.

i like supersampling, downsampling, maximum settings gpu side and reshade, mods,etc plus emulator pcsx-dolphin. I don't want to be limited to 1080p native resolution, that's why i want a real powerful gpu, plus i'm interested in raytracing in some of the new upcoming games, watch dogs for example.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i like supersampling, downsampling, maximum settings gpu side and reshade, mods,etc plus emulator pcsx-dolphin. I don't want to be limited to 1080p native resolution, that's why i want a real powerful gpu, plus i'm interested in raytracing in some of the new upcoming games, watch dogs for example.
If you are interested in Ray tracing right now than yes, the 2080 is the way to go.

Mattyp

Gold Member
use this - https://www.logicalincrements.com

If you're going the 2080 route I would really want to be upgrading the rest of the rig... Even if you can just spring for a motherboard and CPU combo on the cheaper side.

Personally waiting for intel to shrink but that may never happen so looks like I'll be on a i7.8700k for awhile yet. Probably get a 2080ti for shits and giggles for Flight Sim however and Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

I have more questions than answers. One of which has been answered with the new pc build in a few years.

One of the core benefits of Pc gaming is “high” frame rates. To some people this is 60fps, others it is 144 and beyond. If you don’t care and just want graphical settings high then why not just play on console? It would be cheaper hardware wise and probably a bit easier to manage with your setup.

If you are only interested in 1080P gaming don’t get a 2080. Yeah you can supersample but seems like a huge investment for the current build. It’s like putting a Supercar engine in a Gremlin (No Offense).

The first gen i7 will just be a huge bottleneck for a 2080 and you won’t get what you could out of it in general. Yeah a processor is a big thing for frame rates but so is a GPU. They work together. If you only work out half your body the rest is going to hold your nice half back. This will also make a big impact on physics calculations. Also I believe that is a x58 chipset which was about the time PCIE 3.0 was coming out. Does your old board have that?

I would wait on the current RTX cards anyways. If this new “super” edition refresh isn’t as hot as some want it would be best to wait until next year for their new cards vs buying a 2080 and not getting all of its capabilities because of older hardware you are running with it.

My opinion is to either get a cheaper card off eBay or somewhere to hold you over until your new build or just play on console if you don’t care about framerates.

luca_29_bg

use this - https://www.logicalincrements.com

If you're going the 2080 route I would really want to be upgrading the rest of the rig... Even if you can just spring for a motherboard and CPU combo on the cheaper side.

Personally waiting for intel to shrink but that may never happen so looks like I'll be on a i7.8700k for awhile yet. Probably get a 2080ti for shits and giggles for Flight Sim however and Cyberpunk.

As i said, 60/30fps and 1080p with downsampling, mods,reshade, it's enough for me. I want a gpu that can last me years. If my pc current paired with that gpu it's not a problem, i can wait until i will have the money for a true new rig. I hope in first half of 2021 some decent 16 core for the right price could be be available, even if i doubt!

SScorpio

I would like to wait till next year to see what nvidia or amd will bring on the market but i can't keep my 5850 anymore, i can't do anything with this thing, and i don't want to buy a stop gag gpu now and buy another one next year, so what do you think people ? Thank to anyone in advance will help me with any advice !

Why wait? The Zen 2 based Ryzen 3000 series chips are out in 2.5 weeks (7/7/19). The Zen 3's they are releasing next year will be a refresh that might be slightly better performing, but the new chips that are almost out look like they will be gaming chip to own.

The big decision will be going for an 8 core for $399 or 12 core for $499. It doesn't look like Intel will have a response for at least two years at the rate they've been going.

luca_29_bg

I have more questions than answers. One of which has been answered with the new pc build in a few years.

One of the core benefits of Pc gaming is “high” frame rates. To some people this is 60fps, others it is 144 and beyond. If you don’t care and just want graphical settings high then why not just play on console? It would be cheaper hardware wise and probably a bit easier to manage with your setup.

If you are only interested in 1080P gaming don’t get a 2080. Yeah you can supersample but seems like a huge investment for the current build. It’s like putting a Supercar engine in a Gremlin (No Offense).

The first gen i7 will just be a huge bottleneck for a 2080 and you won’t get what you could out of it in general. Yeah a processor is a big thing for frame rates but so is a GPU. They work together. If you only work out half your body the rest is going to hold your nice half back. This will also make a big impact on physics calculations. Also I believe that is a x58 chipset which was about the time PCIE 3.0 was coming out. Does your old board have that?

I would wait on the current RTX cards anyways. If this new “super” edition refresh isn’t as hot as some want it would be best to wait until next year for their new cards vs buying a 2080 and not getting all of its capabilities because of older hardware you are running with it.

My opinion is to either get a cheaper card off eBay or somewhere to hold you over until your new build or just play on console if you don’t care about framerates.

I like to play multiplatforms games on pc because i use mods, trainer and i like to use emulators too, and i want the best version of the multiplatform games and this can happen only in most cases on pc, i keep console for their exclusives, most people here think with a "pc oriented mind" but different people have different tastes, needs and habits. I like to use downsampling from high resolution, but i play comfortably at 30 fps even if my cpu let me play at 60 in a lot of the games i like (horror games, third person action adventures. etc). As i said in my initial post, I don't care about high frame rates but resolution yes and maximum gpu settings yes, so considering all above, i just want to know if i will have any problem with a 2080 with my pc, with 60/30 fps as maximum. Are you saying that i can't get this from a 2080 because my cpu will bottleneck it in the worse case at locked 30 fps ??? :/

For the chipset the motherboard is this https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D_LE/ and it's a PCIe 2.0.

( Thank you for your advice, but please avoid next time telling people where they can play or not because this it's absolutely out of the context...)

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Why wait? The Zen 2 based Ryzen 3000 series chips are out in 2.5 weeks (7/7/19). The Zen 3's they are releasing next year will be a refresh that might be slightly better performing, but the new chips that are almost out look like they will be gaming chip to own.

The big decision will be going for an 8 core for $399 or 12 core for $499. It doesn't look like Intel will have a response for at least two years at the rate they've been going.

Because I don't have money right now for a full rig, and for now my pc is good enough for my needs, i just need a very powerful gpu that can last me years, i don't wanna buy another gpu after 2 years. My next pc will be at the end of 2020/first half of 2021.

I like to play multiplatforms games on pc because i use mods, trainer and i like to use emulators too, and i want the best version of the multiplatform games and this can happen only in most cases on pc, i keep console for their exclusives, most people here think with a "pc oriented mind" but different people have different tastes, needs and habits. I like to use downsampling from high resolution, but i play comfortably at 30 fps even if my cpu let me play at 60 in a lot of the games i like (horror games, third person action adventures. etc). As i said in my initial post, I don't care about high frame rates but resolution yes and maximum gpu settings yes, so considering all above, i just want to know if i will have any problem with a 2080 with my pc, with 60/30 fps as maximum. Are you saying that i can't get this from a 2080 because my cpu will bottleneck it in the worse case at locked 30 fps ??? :/

For the chipset the motherboard is this https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D_LE/ and it's a PCIe 2.0.

( Thank you for you advice but please avoid next time to say to people where they can play or not because this it's absolutely out of the context...)

I have no clue what you are saying at the end. I understand there is a potential language barrier. Are you offended I suggested console? I didn’t say where you can play, I made a suggestion. Matter of fact I made a few suggestions.

So here is a question, if you only care to play at 30fps with high settings. If you build a newer PC with a 2080 are you going to cap it at 30?

I can’t say I am into modding or trainers but if that’s what keeps you on PC good on you. That’s whats nice about PC.

You could put that card in there but you won’t get everything you can out of it. As I suggested a cheaper card would probably be best until you are ready to build, by then newer GPUs will be out and will pair nicely with whatever you build then.

petran79

Banned
In your case probably the old CPU and ram are bottlenecking performance.

I'd suggest to upgrade to a new CPU and ram, keep the gpu and see if you have still performance issues. If you are satisfied, you can keep the gpu for 1920x1080 and below
I remember I had a gtx 660 and changing CPU from i3 560 to i7 4790k doubled the framerate on sfv, reaching 60fps at max settings
For that res and up to 2560x1440 a gtx 1070 should max out most games and emulators.

SScorpio

Because I don't have money right now for a full rig, and for now my pc is good enough for my needs, i just need a very powerful gpu that can last me years, i don't wanna buy another gpu after 2 years. My next pc will be at the end of 2020/first half of 2021.

You didn't say you were on a budget, but you are saying you want a $700 video card. A 2080 doesn't make sense with your current setup, and if you are going to hold off for 2+ years for the rest of your PC, better cards for that cost will be out and you'll have a great CPU, but a GPU that's getting long in the tooth.

I'm not sure where you are, but on eBay here used 1060s are $100-130. It should be able to get you through the next two years, and then you'll be able to do a full upgrade all at once.

luca_29_bg

I have no clue what you are saying at the end. I understand there is a potential language barrier. Are you offended I suggested console? I didn’t say where you can play, I made a suggestion. Matter of fact I made a few suggestions.

So here is a question, if you only care to play at 30fps with high settings. If you build a newer PC with a 2080 are you going to cap it at 30?

I can’t say I am into modding or trainers but if that’s what keeps you on PC good on you. That’s whats nice about PC.

You could put that card in there but you won’t get everything you can out of it. As I suggested a cheaper card would probably be best until you are ready to build, by then newer GPUs will be out and will pair nicely with whatever you build then.

Yes, sorry, i took these suggestions as "you have to" and my last part was, because of this, a little harsh (and i guess wrongly written ? I corrected that part, but don't worry it's not a big deal, it's a misunderstanding!)

Well regarding frame rate higher than 30 i already can play at 60 fps with my cpu a lot of games, i can't only see max 60 fps because i play with a smart tv so 60 hz maximum. In the last years my 7950 wasn't enough even for 1080p/60 at maximum settings so i played a decent amount of games with a 30 locked fps and some setting reduced here and there, and it's was nice for me. I like a lot horror games and atmosphferic games and i don't know how to explain but 60 fps in someway "ruin" the cinematic feeling of these games. Instead 60 fps are absolutely needed for action games like devil may cry, metroidvania, etc.
When i will have my new gpu i will try to play some cinematic games with 60 fps and well let's see if i will change my mind.

"but you won’t get everything you can out of it" with this do you mean higher frame rates than 60 ? If you mean this it's something i'm not looking for.

I just need:

locked 30/60 fps 1080p downsampled from high resolutions (if i want to use downsampling of course)
emulators pcsx2-dolphin 6x-8x resolution boost from the native resolution
Raytracing in some of the upcoming games, like watchdogs. I want to try that mc fly shader raytracing that look so cool too for old games.

if i can get this, with room to spare, i mean lower fan noise because lower gpu usage considering that i will not use all the gpu power of that card ( i want SILENCE when i play a game and unfortunately my 7950 was a air jet because i had to keep it overclocked for games) i will be happy.

Can i have these needs met with a rtx 2080 with my pc ?

luca_29_bg

In your case probably the old CPU and ram are bottlenecking performance.

I'd suggest to upgrade to a new CPU and ram, keep the gpu and see if you have still performance issues. If you are satisfied, you can keep the gpu for 1920x1080 and below
I remember I had a gtx 660 and changing CPU from i3 560 to i7 4790k doubled the framerate on sfv, reaching 60fps at max settings
For that res and up to 2560x1440 a gtx 1070 should max out most games and emulators.

Wait, are you saying that my 5850 is bottlenecked by my cpu ? ^__^ Because i didn't have any problem with my 7950 and i could basically play any game at 1080p with a mix of settings at 30/60. Mine 5850 it's always at 90% in bloodstained (!!!) and it's vram limited. It runs from 15 to 26 fps in resident evil 2 at 720p. I finished that game with my 7950 at 1080/30 fps locked with high setting everywhere.

a 5850 is a gpu from 2010, it's not a gpu for todays games at 1080p.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

You didn't say you were on a budget, but you are saying you want a $700 video card. A 2080 doesn't make sense with your current setup, and if you are going to hold off for 2+ years for the rest of your PC, better cards for that cost will be out and you'll have a great CPU, but a GPU that's getting long in the tooth.

I'm not sure where you are, but on eBay here used 1060s are $100-130. It should be able to get you through the next two years, and then you'll be able to do a full upgrade all at once.

I have money for that card, but not for a whole pc, i want a powerful gpu that can last me years, i know that if wait i can get something better, it's always in this way, but i need desperately a new gpu because my 5850 don't let me do anything and i repeat again, i don't want to buy another gpu in two years or something. A 2080 should drive me for almost 5 years at 1080p resolution, in the middle of ps5 generation guess. I can wait max to this winter but not more than that.

Trimesh

Banned
I have money for that card, but not for a whole pc, i want a powerful gpu that can last me years, i know that if wait i can get something better, it's always in this way, but i need desperately a new gpu because my 5850 don't let me do anything and i repeat again, i don't want to buy another gpu in two years or something. A 2080 should drive me for almost 5 years at 1080p resolution, in the middle of ps5 generation guess. I can wait max to this winter but not more than that.

If you specifically want a 2080 that badly, then buy it. I think the point people are trying to make is that given the rest of your hardware you are not going to be able to use the 2080 to anything like it's potential level of performance because it's going to be held back by the rest of the system.

So if you buy a 2080 now, you are not going to get the performance out of it, and it's just going to sit there in your PC depreciating until such time as you can upgrade the rest of the system. Hence the suggestions to buy a cheaper card that you current system can fully utilize the performance of and save the money for later (at which point the 2080 will likely be cheaper anyway).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'd personally want a new PSU to go with a card like that just nervous. Also, you'll probably be bottlenecked by you CPU and RAM. Maybe see what the 2070 Super duper, or even 2060 Duper, has to offer and if any 2070's have a big price drop. That way you can upgrade your RAM, too.

luca_29_bg

I'd personally want a new PSU to go with a card like that just nervous. Also, you'll probably be bottlenecked by you CPU and RAM. Maybe see what the 2070 Super duper, or even 2060 Duper, has to offer and if any 2070's have a big price drop. That way you can upgrade your RAM, too.

So 650 watt psu is not enough ? it's considered the minimum requirement :/

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

If you specifically want a 2080 that badly, then buy it. I think the point people are trying to make is that given the rest of your hardware you are not going to be able to use the 2080 to anything like it's potential level of performance because it's going to be held back by the rest of the system.

So if you buy a 2080 now, you are not going to get the performance out of it, and it's just going to sit there in your PC depreciating until such time as you can upgrade the rest of the system. Hence the suggestions to buy a cheaper card that you current system can fully utilize the performance of and save the money for later (at which point the 2080 will likely be cheaper anyway).

And as i said multiple times, if these "performance" of the card you mean high frame rates I DON'T NEED THEM!, But i'm sure that if i use downsampling from 2k/4k to 1080p the card will use its power, or not ?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So 650 watt psu is not enough ? it's considered the minimum requirement :/
It's not that I just get paranoid when components go out like that. I've had aging PSUs that produce hardware failures before I knew what was going on. Like you said, maybe it's just your card finally bombing out. I had xfire 7950s back in the day. They were XFX blowers and so fucking loud it was unreal.

petran79

Banned
Wait, are you saying that my 5850 is bottlenecked by my cpu ? ^__^ Because i didn't have any problem with my 7950 and i could basically play any game at 1080p with a mix of settings at 30/60. Mine 5850 it's always at 90% in bloodstained (!!!) and it's vram limited. It runs from 15 to 26 fps in resident evil 2 at 720p. I finished that game with my 7950 at 1080/30 fps locked with high setting everywhere.

a 5850 is a gpu from 2010, it's not a gpu for todays games at 1080p.

7950 is 2.5 faster than 5850 despite being 2 years older. Get a modern or used equivalent of the former. A 2080 is overkill. I bought a 1080 gtx only because I game at 3440x1440 and 100hz gsync and that res is twice as demanding as 1920x1080 at high quality settings. Barely reaches 100fps limit in many cases

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
And as i said multiple times, if these "performance" of the card you mean high frame rates I DON'T NEED THEM!, But i'm sure that if i use downsampling from 2k/4k to 1080p the card will use its power, or not ?
No, the issue is more basic than that - you have a rather old CPU, and it may be simply incapable of sending enough data to the card to keep it busy. Obviously this is highly dependent on how much CPU a given game uses, but with such a large mismatch between the CPU and the GPU it's quite possible that you will end up with the CPU at 100% and the GPU largely idle. One of my friends had a machine that was a bit less mismatched than what you are proposing (1080 and a 2nd Gen i7) and the only way to get the GPU to 100% was by running synthetic benchmarks.

Arun1910

If you want a 2080, just wait.

Apparently a 2080 Super is going to come out which will knock the 2080 down in price, with the Super version then being inline with the current 2080 price.

Then just get whichever. I'd go for the Super seeing as it's the same price but if you want to save money then the best thing to do is just wait a while.

Hi gaffers, look, i need your advices about a new gpu to buy. I have an old i7 860 oc 3.7 ghz, 8 gb ram and a corsair psu 650 watt, until a month ago i had a 7950 oc boost edition but it started to show gray lines and small cubes across the screen, and it was right, i keept that poor thing overclocked to 1150 mhz since i bought it in 2013 so i can't complain in anyway. Now i have my previous gpu inside my pc, a 5850 with 1 gb that can't even keep 60 fps with bloostained at low settings :( plus the vram don't let me do anything (i create animated pandas for funny video, and i starting to use heavily photoshop and soon i will start to use adobe after affect and other video editors and i absolutely need a lot more vram and power!), so my plan it's to buy an rtx 2080, because i have intention to build my new pc after the new console will be out, and i would like to get a gpu enought powerful that can drive me at least at the middle of the generation of ps5/xbox next. So keep you in mind this thing:

I don't care about high framerates, with my 7950 i played at 30 at 1080p for years (i have a 55 inch smart samsung tv from 2014 with my pc connected to it) but i care about maximum gpu settings in games (cpu not so much for obvious reason...) and i like a LOT downsampling and supersampling, reshade,etc.

So my main question is this, i will have any problem with a 2080 rtx gpu in my actual pc ? The gpu would be limited by the cpu only for the high frame rates, right ? But for games that my cpu can run at 30 fps or 60 fps i will not have any problem , this is correct ? And if i play at 1080p at 30 with a 2080 i should have enough headroom for decent downsampling, right ?

(Forgive my english, i'm still learning!)

P.s i have already opened this thread on era but i would like to get opinions from both forum experts!
wait for new xbox 2. [11. 2020]
xbox2 400-500$ = 2000$ PC
will have hardware RT plus monster power.

so my plan it's to buy an rtx 2080, because i have intention to build my new pc after the new console will be out, and i would like to get a gpu enought powerful that can drive me at least at the middle of the generation of ps5/xbox next. So keep you in mind this thing:

I'd say if you want a 2080 wait a little bit, existing 2080's are going to get a price cut and nVidia is releasing a 2080 "super" in July for the existing 2080 price. So you'll either get a card that's faster for the same money or a current 2080 for a reduced price.

Correct, you will be able to do 4K 30fps via nVidia DSR easily if 30 fps is your target. Your CPU will be fine for high res gaming where the GPU will be the bottleneck.

Last edited:

Mecha Meow

Honestly a 1060 or a 570 would do you for now with that cpu.

Buying a 2080 and coupling it with that cpu would be criminal.

The money spent on the 2080 alone would be more beneficial as a total pc refresh. Get a Ryzen 2600 (or upcoming 3600) and a mid tier gpu like a 1660ti or Vega 56.

ZywyPL

Banned
Basic question - what's your current, and possibly next display? Because that determines EVERYTHING - no point for aiming for 144FPS+ on a 60Hz screen, as well as for a 1500$ GPU for a 1080p.

All thet being said, here's my setup, because I have a feeling we're on the exact same boat - I have a 2,1GHz 1080Ti (~15TF), and I have it hooked into both 55" FullHD 60Hz TV and 24,5" 1080p 240Hz monitor, so depending whether I want to play SP or MP, I either play on TV from the couch, with everything maxed out and downsampled from 4K, with FPS locked to 60, basically I already have the "next-gen" experience, except for a few years by now, or I play on PC monitor from the desk, whether I want to jump into some competitive games, in native 1080p to get the maximum framerates possible.

My ultimate dream is 65" 4K 120Hz G-Sync mLED/OLED display, with a GPU that is able to actually run this downsampled from 8K, but looking how the technology progresses, I'm like ~6 years away from it :)

luca_29_bg

No, the issue is more basic than that - you have a rather old CPU, and it may be simply incapable of sending enough data to the card to keep it busy. Obviously this is highly dependent on how much CPU a given game uses, but with such a large mismatch between the CPU and the GPU it's quite possible that you will end up with the CPU at 100% and the GPU largely idle. One of my friends had a machine that was a bit less mismatched than what you are proposing (1080 and a 2nd Gen i7) and the only way to get the GPU to 100% was by running synthetic benchmarks.

Considering that i will play at 30 or maximum 60, i don't know how my cpu can end up to be 100% but however i don't understand this:

the i7 920 is from the same era of my cpu if i'm not wrong and it's doing fine :/

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

I'd say if you want a 2080 wait a little bit, existing 2080's are going to get a price cut and nVidia is releasing a 2080 "super" in July for the existing 2080 price. So you'll either get a card that's faster for the same money or a current 2080 for a reduced price.

Correct, you will be able to do 4K 30fps via nVidia DSR easily if 30 fps is your target. Your CPU will be fine for high res gaming where the GPU will be the bottleneck.

Perfect! This is all i wanted to know. However do you think i will have problems playing in 1080p at 30/60 (in games where my cpu can keep 60fps of course !) ?

luca_29_bg

Basic question - what's your current, and possibly next display? Because that determines EVERYTHING - no point for aiming for 144FPS+ on a 60Hz screen, as well as for a 1500$ GPU for a 1080p.

All thet being said, here's my setup, because I have a feeling we're on the exact same boat - I have a 2,1GHz 1080Ti (~15TF), and I have it hooked into both 55" FullHD 60Hz TV and 24,5" 1080p 240Hz monitor, so depending whether I want to play SP or MP, I either play on TV from the couch, with everything maxed out and downsampled from 4K, with FPS locked to 60, basically I already have the "next-gen" experience, except for a few years by now, or I play on PC monitor from the desk, whether I want to jump into some competitive games, in native 1080p to get the maximum framerates possible.

My ultimate dream is 65" 4K 120Hz G-Sync mLED/OLED display, with a GPU that is able to actually run this downsampled from 8K, but looking how the technology progresses, I'm like ~6 years away from it :)

I guess i will change my tv for a 4k in the middle or maybe earlier of next generation i believe!

luca_29_bg

If you want a 2080, just wait.

Apparently a 2080 Super is going to come out which will knock the 2080 down in price, with the Super version then being inline with the current 2080 price.

Then just get whichever. I'd go for the Super seeing as it's the same price but if you want to save money then the best thing to do is just wait a while.

Thanks it make sense indeed!

luca_29_bg

7950 is 2.5 faster than 5850 despite being 2 years older. Get a modern or used equivalent of the former. A 2080 is overkill. I bought a 1080 gtx only because I game at 3440x1440 and 100hz gsync and that res is twice as demanding as 1920x1080 at high quality settings. Barely reaches 100fps limit in many cases

i don't play at high frame rates, 30 or 60 is more than fine for me. I would prefer maximum settings with 60 fps locked in many games if possible, with some exceptions, like horror games, and from what i saw, a 2070 can't keep 4k with maximum setting (gpu settings) for example even at 30fps in some games, and this is what i hate most, when the gpu can't keep it up, that's why i'm oriented to a 2080.

luca_29_bg

It's not that I just get paranoid when components go out like that. I've had aging PSUs that produce hardware failures before I knew what was going on. Like you said, maybe it's just your card finally bombing out. I had xfire 7950s back in the day. They were XFX blowers and so fucking loud it was unreal.

i'm sorry for your experience! But in my case problems in my pc disappeared when i put in my old 5850, for example in the latest months sometimes my pc didn't boot up and i could see only a black screen, and after some tries finally it was able to boot. Now it boot everytime without any problem. So i really doubt that it can be my psu in my case!

petran79

Banned
i don't play at high frame rates, 30 or 60 is more than fine for me. I would prefer maximum settings with 60 fps locked in many games if possible, with some exceptions, like horror games, and from what i saw, a 2070 can't keep 4k with maximum setting (gpu settings) for example even at 30fps in some games, and this is what i hate most, when the gpu can't keep it up, that's why i'm oriented to a 2080.

For 4k a 2080 is not enough. To make full use of it, add also an i7 CPU, 16gb DDR4 RAM and SSD hard disk because those textures are demanding in loading times. If you don't change the other components it will have the performance of a 2070. This is why I recommend this gpu instead
2560x1440 res offers also nice quality for PC games.

SScorpio

Considering that i will play at 30 or maximum 60, i don't know how my cpu can end up to be 100% but however i don't understand this:

the i7 920 is from the same era of my cpu if i'm not wrong and it's doing fine :/

I wouldn't call that fine. The low-end CPU is better than your's and is getting 30-50% less FPS. It's hovering between 35-60% GPU usage. That means it's being massively starved for data because the CPU can't keep up.

No one is saying a 2080 won't work. It will run and get good framerates. What everyone is pointing out is you could spend a lot less money and get the exact same performance.

In the end, it's your decision. But getting something inexpensive now to hold you over for two years and then drop a chunk of change on a new build is the thriftier choice IMO. But if you want to keep rationalizing the decision to get a 2080 even though everyone is telling you it's a bad choice. That's your call.

V4skunk

Banned
No point in getting a 2080 with the current setup but you will see a huge performance increase over a 7950.
You should be looking at building a new pc.

luca_29_bg

I wouldn't call that fine. The low-end CPU is better than your's and is getting 30-50% less FPS. It's hovering between 35-60% GPU usage. That means it's being massively starved for data because the CPU can't keep up.

No one is saying a 2080 won't work. It will run and get good framerates. What everyone is pointing out is you could spend a lot less money and get the exact same performance.

In the end, it's your decision. But getting something inexpensive now to hold you over for two years and then drop a chunk of change on a new build is the thriftier choice IMO. But if you want to keep rationalizing the decision to get a 2080 even though everyone is telling you it's a bad choice. That's your call.

Well ok i understand people concerns, but by now it should be crystal clear that i don't want frame rate higher than 60 fps and i like a lot to use downsampling, supersampling, and high resolutions for everything, so as far as i know 2080 it's really good at 4k, 2070 should be good too, but not properly suited for it. This is the main reason, combined to the fact the i would like to try ray tracing in the upcoming games (even at 1080p, it's not a problem in this case) Mid tier gpu like 1060, 2060, and amd equivalent are not good at 4k resolution, that's why i don't want to buy a gpu like these, i want something that can last me years and it can be used in the new rig as well. I'm not searching for a 1080p/60 card, otherwise i wouldn't considered a 2080. From what i get from your previous post looks like that my cpu combined with a 2080 can't provide me 30/60 locked fps because my cpu can't really manage a 2080. Than's why i linked that video, because a cpu from the same gen of my cpu can give the fps i need, i don't need anything higher than 60. But maybe i misunderstood!

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Well ok i understand people concerns, but by now it should be crystal clear that i don't want frame rate higher than 60 fps and i like a lot to use downsampling, supersampling, and high resolutions for everything, so as far as i know 2080 it's really good at 4k, 2070 should be good too, but not properly suited for it. This is the main reason, combined to the fact the i would like to try ray tracing in the upcoming games (even at 1080p, it's not a problem in this case) Mid tier gpu like 1060, 2060, and amd equivalent are not good at 4k resolution, that's why i don't want to buy a gpu like these, i want something that can last me years and it can be used in the new rig as well. I'm not searching for a 1080p/60 card, otherwise i wouldn't considered a 2080. From what i get from your previous post looks like that my cpu combined with a 2080 can't provide me 30/60 locked fps because my cpu can't really manage a 2080. Maybe i misunderstood!
Just use that GPUBoss site and you can what you want and compare. There’s also the pc thread I linked many posts above.

Top Bottom