• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help, I'm terrible at: Metroid Prime Trilogy

Despera

Banned
Metroid Prime on the Wii is an example of motion controls done right. I played the game recently and it's still as awesome as I remember it.

And yes, go for advanced controls mode.

What exactly are you having issues with?

As you are new to the Prime games you should of went on Easy Mode. Prime 2 is quite hard for new players.

So I'm playing Echoes and just entered Tarvus Bog. Liking the game a lot but I'm in a huge water room with three switches I need to get to and super metroid room playing. I can only get 1 done and I'm stumped how to get other two. Any ideas?

Also, game is getting a little repetitive with dark world switching. Still good, but does it get better from where I am?

Have you been able to scan one of the three panels? Every time you scan one, a platform should extend from a panel during a little cinematic. It might not look like it since you're moving so slowly in water but you can reach the extended platforms if you jump at the very edge of the center platforms. Other than that, not much else I can say but look at your map, search for portals, and maybe turn on the hint system if it's not on already. I don't think you need to leave that water area until you get the major upgrade there so if you have access to the water area you should be able to reach the bottom eventually.

And a lot of people love the zone after Torvus Bog as one of the best in the series.

Yarbskoo

You don't need to double tap the jump button to Side Dash.

Just be locked on to something and strafe to either side. Tap the jump button to Side Dash, or press and hold the jump button to jump.

Have you been able to scan one of the three panels? Every time you scan one, a platform should extend from a panel during a little cinematic. It might not look like it since you're moving so slowly in water but you can reach the extended platforms if you jump at the very edge of the center platforms. Other than that, not much else I can say but look at your map, search for portals, and maybe turn on the hint system if it's not on already. I don't think you need to leave that water area until you get the major upgrade there so if you have access to the water area you should be able to reach the bottom eventually.

And a lot of people love the zone after Torvus Bog as one of the best in the series.

Yea I can scan one and then I jump from the center to the extended platform, but it's a 5 bubble purple door that I can't open and then I'm stuck... Am I missing an upgrade?

Yea I can scan one and then I jump from the center to the extended platform, but it's a 5 bubble purple door that I can't open and then I'm stuck... Am I missing an upgrade?

Yes, that type of door needs the Seeker Missile. I thought that was required to enter the flooded areas to begin with but that is my mistake.

Do you have the Boost Ball? If not, you need to find it somewhere in the Bog. If you have it, leave Torvus Bog and return to Temple Grounds and search for a glass half pipe like structure. I believe it is in front of the elevator to the main temple where the Luminoth is nearest to the Torvus Bog entrance. Use the Boost Ball at the half-pipe to find a cave that you can navigate with the Morph Ball. Follow that path and you'll eventually get the Seeker Missile.

ASIS

There are days I really hate the spell checker... I loved the Skyward Sword controls. I hated everything else. Gave up almost in the end of the game. I am even afraid if playing any Zelda game that came after that. Traumatic.

A friend lent it. I was considering buying one, but I wanted to make sure I could tolerate the motion controls first. And Speaking of MP3, hand, wrist and arm pain gets way bad after a time. Only game that has caused me this, so I'm not even sure if it is a good idea to keep playing.

Define "after a time". Cause if its something like four hours then I suggest you always keep your hand rested. Never, ever play motion controlled games without first making sure you can play while your arms are in neutral position.

If it is less than four hours, then I don't know. Others have the same problem as you so it is not something to take seriously. Keep playing a couple of times I suppose? If it doesn't get better then yeah just quit. Games are supposed to be enjoyable, not painful.

I got the Wii version and the shitty motion controllers made it unplayable just like Skyward Sword. Id have to get a hold of the Gamecube version or a proper Wii U HD port.

I'll back you up. I don't like the motion controls either. That's not to say they're bad, but they hampered my enjoyment of the game. People who think, for whatever insane reason, that they are objectively better are wrong, since there is no objectivity when it comes to preference.

correojon

People already commented on the controls, so I´d just give you some advice when you play MP2: set the difficulty on Easy. MP2´s regular enemies take many hits, so lowering the difficulty makes them quicker to kill, which will help a lot when you´re backtracking through the same are for the 20th time searching for upgrades and stuff, specially because MP2 relies a lot on ammo. More than making the game easier, it will make it flow much better.

Also, play them in order. I did the same thing a couple of years ago for the first time and it was fantastic, specially because the stories are connected through some characters and events. I mean, you will understand everything if you play them in a different order, but playing them in order will add a bit to the experience.

Have fun,, you´re in for a ride!

Besides everything else listed, make sure the controls have B (the trigger) set to shoot. Having the trigger as anything other than shoot is doing yourself a disservice.

Frankly I would put the first two games on something other than the lowest difficulty setting, too. The original games' lowest setting was actually the trilogy's second-lowest setting. They added baby difficulty for the Trilogy release. Unless you're not great with these kinds of games, I'd avoid that one. But you beat the original Metroid, so...

Play them with lock-on free aim off. The first two are meant to be played that way, and it makes the third one easier.

As a general rule, strafe and jump around simultaneously A LOT to avoid damage.

For Flaagrah, if you stand at the very back of the room, its slashers cannot touch you.

For MP2, don't worry about the beam ammo system. If you kill/shot a crate or enemy with the opposite beam of what you want, then you'll get more ammo for the depleted beam.

maxcriden

Thanks again all for your help. I found lock-on free aim being off to be very helpful as suggested. I stuck with Basic though as Advanced was too fast-moving for me.

Last night I got to sit down and play for a couple hours. I beat Sheegoth on my second try. First time I used the bomb method and went in without full health and it was tough. Second time I had good luck with the missile method. It was satisfying to beat that battle after struggling with it immensely a few years ago.

After that, I was able to get the Wave Beam and started running into Space Pirates not long after. They do a lot of damage, especially the flying ones, but I find them pretty manageable overall. I made my way to my first Metroid battle and it wasn't bad. They're cute though, and ultimately not at all evil so I feel badly for them having to get mixed up in these situations. I was surprised to be able to beat them without ice. I guess Metroid Blast made me misremember that you needed an ice beam to beat them in the other, 2D Metroid games I'd played?

I took a long meander around the Research Lab and Observatory areas of the Drifts (including getting the Super Missile) and took in a lot of Pirate Data. Some of which was interesting. Learned there is a resurrected Ridley to be fought. I got the thermal visor and a bunch of the power went out so it was pretty cool to make my way up that lengthy room with thermal vision and fighting off Metroids and Space Pirates as needed. The security drone things seem difficult, though. It's kind of confusing to tell what's going on in some of the more cramped corridors when using thermal vision. It's a neat effect though. I saw a Missile Upgrade that took some very delicate Morph Ball movements in the dark to get, across a very thin railing. That took a bunch of tries but was satisfying to procure. Now I made my way back to a save spot and then I think some drones or Pirates took me out not long after. So I don't think I lost much progress. I'm still in the thermal vision area of the Drifts.

BTW, has much been written about any allegorical implications of the Metroid lore? I'm wondering if it's representative of any local or global conflict in Japanese culture.

maxcriden

I got to play a bit more the other day and made some additional progress. I finished up the thermal visor section and encountered a whole slew of space pirates, flying and otherwise. Then I made my way back through the Drifts a bit. I found Thardus (sp?) and he was seriously tough. Is that considered a decently difficult boss battle? I was pretty darn low on health but I did beat it on my first try. Very clever fight with the use of the thermal visor. When I left though I was low on health and had to evade some space pirates to get to a save station back in the main part of them Drifts. I was going for one closer to the boss room but I couldn't stay up in the top part of the room where all the flying pirates were. Tricky situation and I breathed a serious sigh of relief after I got to the save station since I wasn't sure I was going to make it and I really did not want to have to fight the boss again.

I was surprised to see full Sheegoths are now roaming around the Drifts. That's pretty tricky. I avoided them and made my way back through the Thardus room, which led me to an elevator to Magmoor Caverns, and then with some use of the Spider Ball (which is fun albeit a smidge clunky in execution IMO, but OTOH I have to remember this game is from the early-ish 3D days) made it back to the Overworld...then explored a bit and made my way back to the Ruins. When I was in the Overworld I decided to go back to the main Chozo tech-y area and found ... some lore artifact thing and it activated some computers and said I needed to find a bunch more of these. I guess I got the sense I was supposed to have already done this much earlier in the game? Had I just missed it?

I'm now back in the Ruins and there's a tower where you have to shoot a bunch of missiles at the supports to gradually get it to crash down. But I've tried 2x and been too low on missiles both times. So I need to stock back up and then I'll return. Luckily there are a bunch of those helpful scarabs that give you tons of health/ammo right nearby.

Don't worry about those artifacts for now. Just keep on keeping on. If you just beat Thardus there is still a lot more game to go.

It's fun to read your experiences with the game though. Are you still enjoying it?

SephLuis

I got to play a bit more the other day and made some additional progress. I finished up the thermal visor section and encountered a whole slew of space pirates, flying and otherwise. Then I made my way back through the Drifts a bit. I found Thardus (sp?) and he was seriously tough. Is that considered a decently difficult boss battle? I was pretty darn low on health but I did beat it on my first try. Very clever fight with the use of the thermal visor. When I left though I was low on health and had to evade some space pirates to get to a save station back in the main part of them Drifts. I was going for one closer to the boss room but I couldn't stay up in the top part of the room where all the flying pirates were. Tricky situation and I breathed a serious sigh of relief after I got to the save station since I wasn't sure I was going to make it and I really did not want to have to fight the boss again.

I was surprised to see full Sheegoths are now roaming around the Drifts. That's pretty tricky. I avoided them and made my way back through the Thardus room, which led me to an elevator to Magmoor Caverns, and then with some use of the Spider Ball (which is fun albeit a smidge clunky in execution IMO, but OTOH I have to remember this game is from the early-ish 3D days) made it back to the Overworld...then explored a bit and made my way back to the Ruins. When I was in the Overworld I decided to go back to the main Chozo tech-y area and found ... some lore artifact thing and it activated some computers and said I needed to find a bunch more of these. I guess I got the sense I was supposed to have already done this much earlier in the game? Had I just missed it?

I'm now back in the Ruins and there's a tower where you have to shoot a bunch of missiles at the supports to gradually get it to crash down. But I've tried 2x and been too low on missiles both times. So I need to stock back up and then I'll return. Luckily there are a bunch of those helpful scarabs that give you tons of health/ammo right nearby.

I am replaying MPT and I already finished MP1 recently, so a few tips:

-Side step is very useful in case you don't know. Lock into an enemy and hold left or right in the nunchuck and press B. Samus will make a quick step to either side which is great to avoid attacks.

- Any upgrade emits a very unique and small sound. Next time you see an upgrade try noticing this sound because it helps a lot into finding optional upgrades throughout the map.

- The pillars come crashing down and I guess it's three times that you have to do this. You need to shoot the right places with missiles or super missiles (don't remember now). Probably should show in scan vision or have some kinda of crack in a wall.

- Once you go to MP2, you might want to play on normal instead of veteran. It is a harder game than MP1.

Thardus and the Pirate base before fighting it are absolutely difficulty jumps, so congrats on making through them. You should be able to handle the rest of the game and series at this point.

The Artifacts are unfortunately one of the unanimously agreed low points of Prime 1 and Prime 2. In order to access the final area and final boss to complete the game you need to collect 12 Chozo Artifacts that are scattered throughout the game and while you can collect many of them through the course of the game, you ultimately can't complete the set without getting the rest of the major power ups first. Just take time out during treks all over to explore new doors you couldn't access before and your endgame collectathon should be minimal.

There are plenty of guides to point out where the Artifacts are but if you want to do this "fairly", the Chozo Shrine is directly next to your landing site and it'll give you hints to where you can find Artifacts by scanning the totems there. More hints will be revealed when you return with more Artifacts and more totems become active.

Top Bottom