• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

You should be concerned for gaming sub services that's it. Plenty of people kept saying it's not sustainable and destroys software sales.
We all should be concerned about monopolies, digital-only content, mtx, battle passes, gaas and many other issues in the gaming industry.

RickMasters

You know........folks really should be allowing for the possibility that Phil Spencer comes out and says all these rumors are bullshit.

Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
even if that were to be the case....the guy has a problem just talking straight. he could say "these games will always remain console exclusive" and people would still say "natella has other ideas".... or "higher ups want them dolla$" or simply....well...."he also said this...and ..that" and "well ...just listen to the wording... obviously he cant say anything about right now"

I think the "phil said" posts are the most exhausting thing about the GAF, as [people decipher his every crypitc sound bite.....yo...I say..... phil says a shocking lot of...nothing.

Xbox has ostensibly been dead since 2013. It died when Sony declared at e3 that the PS4 could share games and essentially utilize used games whereas at the time the Xbox was focused on DRM. A few days later Sony would release what is essentially their magnum opus in The Last of Us.

Microsoft launched GamePass as a means to stay relevant in 2017, but GamePass is a destroyer of value and entirely unsustainable. The model doesn't work in the video game industry. We tried to tell you all that, but no one wanted to listen.

That Xbox sales have dried up so drastically across the globe explains why Microsoft no longer is concerned with riling up the Xbox Community. There isn't much of a community left. Starfield was released and people still didn't buy the XBS. They dropped the price of the XSX to 350 and people still didn't buy it. There is nothing left for them to do and no more promises Spencer can tell Nadella.

Because Xbox consoles aren't selling, GamePass subscribership is flat, to the point where it'll likely diminish in a few months/quarters. It's why they no longer give GamePass Subscriber numbers.

The deals to buy Bethesda and ABK were last-ditch efforts to save Xbox, but they've done the opposite. They're acting as a ballast or an anchor forcing Microsoft's hand with Xbox which they've largely subsidized for 20+ years. The subsidy has run out with the sales decline of Xbox and the flat subscribership of GamePass. This is the only route forward.

For over a decade it's been obvious that Xbox was in trouble, but no one wanted to hear it because it was dismissed as console warring. The reality is we're nearing the point where this can't be white washed and Microsoft will take the future steps

• Keep revenue and margins high by selling games on PS5 and Switch (2)
  • Get streaming up and running across devices and release a streaming device to help facilitate that future
  • Encourage GamePass via streaming and PC
  • Maybe even sell accessories on PS5 and Switch (2)
  • Maybe they try to maintain the Xbox ecosystem to some extent, it doesn't make sense to give it up, but I'd be stunned if there is future hardware. Xbox Live will live on via PC and streaming.

rofif

Banned
Microsoft was always bad.
I loved the 360 but the truth is the always only followed the money. Created paid online, started buying publishers, created sub service world....
Honestly F Microsoft. They can go to hell. They actively made the whole industry worse with stupid Gamepass itself and people are fools to believe "we all play" bs from Phil.
Sony doesn't need microsoft to compete just as nintendo doesn't need anyone to keep making good games.

Real shame since 360 was a magical moment. I have a 360 with ton of games right here... and Microsoft ruined xbox SO MUCH, I am retroactively loosing love I had left for my trusty 360.

WitchHunter

Banned
I'm furious with MS.

I feel like I've been screwed.

This isn't console warring. I'm just upset because I REALLY do think MS make great consoles.

But this move has been really unfair to their player base. So many people bought into their promise of a grand future of exclusives especially after the Bethesda buy out etc.

This is total BS.

I'm NOT having a meltdown.

OK.

I'm having a meltdown.

F YOU MS AND YOUR DOUCHE MOVES!
You F-ed yourself. Next time read the wiki page of a company to get an overall view of their past actions and act accordingly.

But they weren't the first one with $70 games. Come to think of it, when did this happen? With what games in past gens?
All PS5 exclusives started at $70. Initial 360 games were $50 at launch. I think they jumped to $60 around the time of PS3 launch, right? I could be wrong here.

Monkfish877

I think it's time for someone like Samsung to enter the home console market. Sony must not be allowed to have the home console enthusiast market to themselves, it's just going to get worse and worse for us consumers if Sony are the only ones in this space.( I'm purposely not including Nintendo because they're doing their own thing)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Fanboyism is weird.
People bought a consoles based on their games and environment. That's not changing. What makes a game being on other devices any different as if it wasn't?

Topher

Gold Member
even if that were to be the case....the guy has a problem just talking straight. he could say "these games will always remain console exclusive" and people would still say "natella has other ideas".... or "higher ups want them dolla$" or simply....well...."he also said this...and ..that" and "well ...just listen to the wording... obviously he cant say anything about right now"

I think the "phil said" posts are the most exhausting thing about the GAF, as [people decipher his every crypitc sound bite.....yo...I say..... phil says a shocking lot of...nothing.

Sure, but the contradictions are part of Phil's problems. Not going to rehash all of it, but he has a history of saying one thing and doing another. Fact is what Nadella and others have said still stands and Phil Spencer is suddenly saying nothing. So whatever spiel Spencer does come up with to say, folks are not going to take it at face value and frankly, they shouldn't.

I think they would have done that by now with the fire thats been raging

The silence is deafening

Yeah....I know. But you know how Phil loves to play the "we listened to you" card? Would not be surprised if that happens again. Probably too late at this point, but never say never when it comes to Phil Spencer.

RickMasters

If you don't see where this is all going, go ahead. Enjoy keeping your head in the sand.

Head in the sand? more like doing victory laps with a bag over their heads. Its all fun and games until that PS3 arrogant launch language from sony comes back into play...I can see it now....some sony exec gloating on a stage about how they are now the only place to play AAA next gen experiences....and no alternative console to keep them honest, on price or specs..also putting them in a postion to disctate the splits with pubs on their store from a stronger bargaining position than they have ever been able to ..."dont wanna put it on PS store because you think the splits are too high? tough! where else you gonna put it......yup...all fun and games until theres a true monopoly setting all the terms.

Nonehxc

Why are all of you Xbots and Playstationists so deeply involved with the corporations? Neither Sony nor Microsoft will give you a blowjob, you know.

Don't get invested into brands and corporations (unless you're a shareholder, I guess).
I'm just here for the meltdowns. 😄🤷🏻‍♂️

Ar¢tos

Sony will increase their prices and the others will follow. This is how it always works.
The idea that Sony will suddenly massively increase game prices or console prices is just intentional FUD spreading by butthurt Xbox fans.
If Sony "causes" console games prices to go up to 100$, then people will simply move to PC, where they can buy keys for half price on launch day for any game.
Same for consoles prices, consoles priced too high will just sell more PCs that have free online and cheaper games.
Don't think Xbox is the only competition or the barrier keeping evil Sony restrained, there is always competition and MANY of the bad practices in gaming today were started by Microsoft.

Last edited:

RickMasters

There will be more alternatives than ever even without Xbox actually. Instead of just consoles and PC like 15-20 years ago, now there is Android/mobile gaming, Steam deck, Cloud gaming. There's more competition than ever.

Xbox retreating will be like a fart in the wind.
those options are all already available with xbox present in the market..... so what you say makes no sense at all.

TransTrender

Gold Member
They were competing with Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox during this period. Games were $49.99 by the end of the generation, IIRC.
There was no competition from these devices during that timeframe. DC was dead, GameCube was really struggling, and XBOX was slashing prices.

Mr Moose

You're obviously another kind if you don't see anything to worry about when it comes to pricing going forward.
I know you're upset with the recent "leaks", you should relax and have a snickers. I am not worried about something that hasn't happened (and something that didn't happen during PS2 days).
63398981e9dec953612743b26dcd8374.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why would you get banned for this? This is definitely worth bitching about.

Exclusives from Sony, Nintendo and Sega (in the past) were and are always leagues ahead of multiplatform trash from Ubisoft, EA, Activision and other third party devs. With some rare exceptions like fromtsoft and cd project.

Exclusives are made to be ambitious, innovative and polished so they push consoles. If MS isnt going to make exclusives they will follow the sega route of creating some mediocre titles because that determination to sell consoles at any cost is no longer there.

Exclusives will still exist. There will only be Sony games on the Sony app in the future. 😉

The idea that Sony will suddenly massively increase game prices or console prices is just intentional FUD spreading by butthurt Xbox fans.
If Sony "causes" console prices to go up to 100$, then people will simply move to PC, where they can buy keys for half price on launch day for any game.
Same for consoles prices, consoles priced too high will just sell more PCs that have free online and cheaper games.
Don't think Xbox is the only competition or the barrier keeping evil Sony restrained, there is always competition and MANY of the bad practices in gaming today were started by Microsoft.
It won't be right away. I assume it'll be $79.99 for PS5 Pro games and $89.99 for PS6 games. We'll be at $99.99 in 5 or 6 years.

nemiroff

Gold Member
A meltdown for a box of plastic or a company that doesn’t give a shit about you..? Nah.

But if it makes you feel better, all consoles as we've known them will eventually die out (even PC will not escape some reforms). A lot of transformations will happen the next few years.

When we go from traditional processing to ML generative (which is already happening) we'll most likely all have to deal with some form of "thin clients" containing the same hardware. Perhaps the only difference will be various brand licenses.

Good thing for sure is that system warriors will need to find a new hobby.

Last edited:

simpatico

Nintendo killed Microsoft. Not Sony. Nintendo made them spend billions and burn the good faith of an entire generation by releasing the Wii. MS fell in love with that idea so much they based the XBone around it. The 360 and Xbox Live were red hot. All they had to do was release a 720 with nothing changed but processing spec. It was that easy. Spend that Kinect money on just enough horsepower to eek past the PS4. The popularity of GTA and COD on Xbox Live would have done all the heavy lifting.

PS3 was so rough for Sony they really couldn’t afford to try anything cute with the PS4. Ended up being the best thing they could ever did. PS4 was smooth and stable. That’s all people really want.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I bought a $150 Series S cause I thought MS would make 2-3 exclusives I'd want to buy this gen.
Even I feel screwed and I only invested $150.
This is the ultimate truth, if MS was putting games out with the quality they had from 2005-2011 then Xbox would still be doing well for itself. The complete mediocrity of their library since then is what is leading to now, who the fuck cares about the Xbox library save for Forza Horizon at this point.
Almost every acquisition was mistimed or was butchered by MS management. Rare went to shit after Kinect, Obsidian lost most of their prime talent to begin with (which is why Avowed looks so bleh), Bethesda's main team hasn't had a good game since Fallout 4 (which was already divisive), and they are basically giving up shortly after acquiring Activision and bleeding most of its talent out with layoffs already.

Microsoft can genuinely go fuck themselves at this point, my guess is that they last till the end of the gen with Xbox and then once PS6 is the main focus they formally announce going full third-party. My only hope is someone steps up to compete with Sony, and I don't think it's going to be Nintendo. I could see Apple or maybe even Valve (like a Steam Deck but as a full console) step in, but who else?

gothmog

Gold Member
Having had to deal with Microsoft for years it's like they're the uninvited guest that shows up and has to make a big deal that they're crashing the party.

Other major companies do not operate like that.

Filben

Wasn't their motto something like when everyone plays everyone gets happy or something? You guys should be happy, no mockery.
It was literally "Play it anywhere". As a consumer, I think this is a great motto.

However, if Sony has no competition, I'm not sure if this is good in the long run.

Edmund

Honest question, how old is the OP? I refuse to believe there is anyone above the age of 14 who can't control their emotions like this regarding a plastic video game system.

Sega dreamcast fans are most likely in their mid to late 40s. Maybe even early 50s.

Top Bottom