• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldrivers 2 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Helldivers 2 places you and your friends in the shoes of galactic soldiers defending the merits of democracy, freedom, and human liberty from the hordes of alien invaders, is a totally non-satirical shooter. You'll be able to use absurd amounts of firepower to blast your way through hundreds of aggresive alines begging for the sweet kiss of freedom.

Whomever, the game will require a PS Plus subscription for PlayStation Owners while still users will be able to play online free of charge:

There-it-s.jpg

1.jpg

Fbh

We still don't know the pricing but since it's going up for pre order soon we know it's not F2P.
So yeah it will need PS+ on Ps5 and playing online will be free on PC.

If you can afford it up front just get a PC. Consoles are only cheaper on the surface, once they nickel and dime you with paid multiplayer and more expensive games the cost isn't that much different from a PC.

This is a non-issue but I bet PlayStation “F2P” GaaS games will do this. They’ll try to justify the price increase by you getting the GaaS games Day 1.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don’t get this thread. You need to pay to play online for non-free to play games? Thought its been in practice for many years on Playstation consoles

I don’t get this thread. You need to pay to play online for non-free to play games? Thought its been in practice for many years on Playstation consoles
Personally I'm glad some people are still pushing back against paid online play for consoles. Sony only started that last gen and on PS3 was free. Should still be free.

Helldivers 2 places you and your friends in the shoes of galactic soldiers defending the merits of democracy, freedom, and human liberty from the hordes of alien invaders, is a totally non-satirical shooter. You'll be able to use absurd amounts of firepower to blast your way through hundreds of aggresive alines begging for the sweet kiss of freedom.

Whomever, the game will require a PS Plus subscription for PlayStation Owners while still users will be able to play online free of charge:

There-it-s.jpg

1.jpg
Charging people for the internet they already paid for is a scam. Gamers should unironically rise up and demand better from Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Charging people for the internet they already paid for is a scam. Gamers should unironically rise up and demand better from Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo.
The counter argument from console fee supporters is that:

- The fees pay for the server infrastructure
- The fees can keep the games going online
- Each console network has their own all-in-one kind of service.... games, profile, friends list, movie/NF apps, achievement/trophy pts

- Each console network has their own all-in-one kind of service.... games, profile, friends list, movie/NF apps, achievement/trophy pts
My counter argument is that this thread is 10 years too late. This war was already lost.

Digging it back up from the grave for Helldivers 2 thread is doing a disservice to Helldivers 2.

supernova8

Banned
The counter to your counter would be:

Why isn't Steam charging for online then? They could if they wanted to, and they have all those things you mentioned.

Plus Sony shuts down servers for plenty of games (who cares how old they are) so I guess the fees weren't the issue after all, right?

Last edited:
Looks like Helldivers 2 is the first of many day one GAAS games coming to PC. Sony said they got 10 GAAS in development a year or so ago.

#1. Helldivers 2
#2 - 9. ???
2. The Last of Us Factions
3. Marathon
4. Horizon Multiplayer Game(leaked)
5. FairGame$
6. Concord
7. Firesprite dev Project
8. Deviation Games Project
9. Gran Turismo (this is a guess that will most likely be reality)
10. Idk, Demon's Souls Tarkov-style game 🤷‍♂️

DelireMan7

I don't get the thread title. Isn't it like for every games like that ? Doesn't mean it's ok but looks like a clickbait.

Really hyped for it. Love the first game.
A bit perplex by the change of perspective. Having everyone on 1 screen added a lot of depth. You need to coordinate your moves to not trap another player, warm them from danger, see where the stratagems will land...

But must importantly, I guess this new 3rd person perspective rules out a local coop... A big down for me.

yurinka

There-it-s.jpg

1.jpg

Welcome to consoles: if you want to play online multiplater outside F2P games you'll get charged a subscription. In PC isn't the case.

It has been like that for all games during many, many years not only on PS, but also in Switch and Xbox. In non PS consoles you also had to pay the fee for F2P games.

I don't get the thread title. Isn't it like for every games like that ? Doesn't mean it's ok but looks like a clickbait.
Yes

Looks like Helldivers 2 is the first of many day one GAAS games coming to PC. Sony said they got 10 GAAS in development a year or so ago.

#1. Helldivers 2
#2 - 9. ???
Sony said they had "more than 10 franchises with GaaS titles planned to be released before April 2026" and later specified "12".

As I remember they are:
1: MLB
2: Gran Turismo 7
3: Firewall Ultra
4: Helldivers 2
5: Concord
6: TLOU online
7: Fairgame$
8: Deviation's new IP
9: London Studio's new IP
10: Horizon online
11: Marathon
12: Other Bungie new IP (Matter?)
Bonus track: Destiny 2

They never said that all will be released in PC and never said that all the ones to be released on PC will be there day one. As an example, MLB, GT7 and Firewall Ultra are on PS but not in PC. They said that some of their games will be ported to PC, and some of their GaaS may potentially be released on PC day one.

The Bungie games will be in PC day one. Helldivers 2, Concord, FairGame$ are also announced for PC but they didn't specify if were going to be released on PC day one. Even if it's fair to assume it as seems to be the case, we have cases like TLOUP1 and Uncharted Legacy of Thieves where they were also announced for PC and many believed they were going to be on PC day one but wasn't the case.

We still don't know the pricing but since it's going up for pre order soon we know it's not F2P.
It's a AAA, so pretty likely will have full price.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is this a surprise for anyone?

Multyplayer has always been free on pc and under payment on console (thanks microsoft).

Well, look at the bright side, at least you get free quality games like saints row...

Last edited:

Juras

I'm not sure what is worse, paid multiplayer on consoles or players defending it.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

This right here breaks the fallacy of justifying paid online multiplayer for consoles. If it wasn't for Extra tier offering catalogue of games, I wouldn't subscribe to ps+.

Personally I'm glad some people are still pushing back against paid online play for consoles. Sony only started that last gen and on PS3 was free. Should still be free.
I agree 100%, this is not isolated to this particular game though. But online play should 100% be free after you purchase the game. Let the subscriptions survive on merit of what else they bring.

Mowcno

BRB I got some threads to make.

Mortal Kombat 1 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
Payday 3 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
EA Sports FC 24 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
Call of Duty MWIII multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation

TrebleShot

Pathetic, pay your dues or get a job, please do not complain about paying a fee for online in the year 2023 when you have rabid online cheaters on PC and you get a catalogue of games at no additional cost along with the online play.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Oh man if only there was an example of something that did all that on PC where you didn't have to pay monthly for access to those services.

uQep8i4.jpg

I mean its not really fair to call out Steam as an example, as you listed so few examples of why you pay, steam has many MANY more services on top it provides.

Last edited:

GymWolf

D
BRB I got some threads to make.

Mortal Kombat 1 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
Payday 3 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
EA Sports FC 24 multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
Call of Duty MWIII multiplayer will be free on PC but paid on PlayStation
Don't forget factions 2 topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom