• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

DelireMan7

People also shouldn't forget that sometimes, people accidently drop startegems because they trip, or get swarmed and need their weapon, or they die.

Or just the fact that they realize we're expendable. Getting the job done is what ultimately matters.
I mean, the entire lore is built around us being expendable, generic nobodies, mindlessly carrying out missions for Super Earth.
100% agreed.

You can so easily drop a stratagem, it can bounce on a rock and land next to you or a team-mate etc...

Definitely, death is not a big deal in this game. Priority to the mission. After if during one mission a guy is consistently doing TK it's annoying but it never happened to me.

TK happens and it's like that. Most of the time it's funny

Ballistic

0vPl06x.jpg
cPhY82B.png

Alebrije

What is worse than being hit by a meteor?

Answer: blown away by an explosión and land very far on "traitor zone"...with zero chance to return.

yurinka

Just talking from a business perspective.

The ease and speed at which one can earn super credits makes me wonder how they're expecting to make profit off of it.

As a gamer, I'm more than happy with how easy it is to earn super credits. No complaints in that regard.
To get the warbond every month for free, you have to play aprox. over around 10 hours per week, which is above average.

Meaning, most players won't earn enough to get the warbond every month, and many of them will pay for it.

The players who invest instead more time get rewarded for doing so. On average, players who invest more time on a game are more likely to pay for DLC, mtx, passes, etc. So if they don't buy warbonds they will buy cosmetics or whatever they add in the future.

Over time, GaaS normally add additional monetization options, more stuff to buy with real money. They could add paid customization stuff like color/texture variations for helmet, cape, weapons, grenades armor or even hellpod etc. Or maybe weapon customization options that could tweak a bit the weapons like something to improve zoom, laser points of different colors, maybe something to slightly improve recoil, etc.

They could also introduce cosmetic additional stuff like paid only emotes, ship visual costumization, clan based stuff, etc. Or I don't know, maybe short SP campaign DLC episodes.

The idea would be to introduce stuff in the past that even if the player who plays enough can get the warbond, would have more options to pay real money.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Precisely what I feared: I want better weapons, not weaker enemies.
Also no modification on the Railgun which is an ANTI ARMOR weapon is sad. Lower health for the charger means we will kill them even faster with the railgun without breaking the armor. How does this make sense??

I'll play this when I get home this weekend but I'm disappointed.

Killjoy-NL

Also no modification on the Railgun which is an ANTI ARMOR weapon is sad. Lower health for the charger means we will kill them even faster with the railgun without breaking the armor. How does this make sense??

That's the result of petty whining, when the railgun was still very viable before these changes.

Especially considering they didn’t even change anything about the leg armor, since we aren't supposed to aim for that. Lol

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That's the result of petty whining, when the railgun was still very viable before these changes.
Hard disagree, it became useless. Also the spawn rate was awful.
Especially considering they didn’t even change anything about the leg armor, since we aren't supposed to aim for that. Lol
Uh sorry but not my fault if the "weak point" was not a weak point and aiming for the leg was a far better solution.

Killjoy-NL

Hard disagree, it became useless. Also the spawn rate was awful.
Maybe your skills are only as good as a weapon is OP.
Uh sorry but not my fault if the "weak point" was not a weak point and aiming for the leg was a far better solution.
The point was you claiming it wasn't possible to two-shot leg armor, while it was possible even though it turns out it wasn't even intended to be a weak spot.

It's pretty ironic.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
How do you actually destroy these towers that block all stratagems? Grenades and the grenade launcher didn't help much. I guess the storm that is with the same effect can't be avoided?

DelireMan7

How do you actually destroy these towers that block all stratagems? Grenades and the grenade launcher didn't help much. I guess the storm that is with the same effect can't be avoided?
You have to approach it (entet the outpost) and use a grenade in one of the vent (like for the factory).
Or maybe they is a terminal that disable the jamming to allow to call a hellbomb.

Don't remember exactly

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Maybe your skills are only as good as a weapon is OP.
Oh a personal attack, think what you want I don't care.
The point was you claiming it wasn't possible to two-shot leg armor, while it was possible even though it turns out it wasn't even intended to be a weak spot.

It's pretty ironic.
As I said in many post (read again for real) my biggest complain is the need to charge the railgun at +95% to get the same result as before. And this is not a viable option when you are surrounded by many chargers and titans. If you can't understand this we can stop there.
Finally, if you really think the back of a charger is an actual weak point when you need 2 magazines, 5 grenades and 2 rockets to kill it, good for you I guess.
And I have a solution for that, as I said before but you are ignoring it for whatever reason: remove any hp damage to the railgun, make it a pur anti armor weapon.
Shoot the armor, then your friend with his primary weapon kill the charger. With this modification you make the railgun useful but not op while also encouraging coop play.

And please next time if you have nothing interesting to say, just ignore my post. Thanks.

Killjoy-NL

Oh a personal attack, think what you want I don't care.

As I said in many post (read again for real) my biggest complain is the need to charge the railgun at +95% to get the same result as before. And this is not a viable option when you are surrounded by many chargers and titans. If you can't understand this we can stop there.
Finally, if you really think the back of a charger is an actual weak point when you need 2 magazines, 5 grenades and 2 rockets to kill it, good for you I guess.
And I have a solution for that, as I said before but you are ignoring it for whatever reason: remove any hp damage to the railgun, make it a pur anti armor weapon.
Shoot the armor, then your friend with his primary weapon kill the charger. With this modification you make the railgun useful but not op while also encouraging coop play.

And please next time if you have nothing interesting to say, just ignore my post. Thanks.
Irt the Charger weak spot, I was referring to the response from the devs themselves.

And if charging the railgun enough is difficult, as you say, it is in fact a skill-issue.
Nothing personal about that.

This is what led to them 'weakening' the Charger.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Irt the Charger weak spot, I was referring to the response from the devs themselves.

And if charging the railgun enough is difficult, as you say, it is in fact a skill-issue.
Nothing personal about that.

This is what led to them 'weakening' the Charger.
Omagad you really can't read. Of course I can kill a charger by charging the railgun at 95%. The point was that it's to risky to do it more than 15 times in less than 5 minutes when you are completely overwhelmed by a sudden spawn. Please before posting try to understand what I'm saying.
I don't care the dev call the back of a charger a weak point, in game when playing anyone who fought a charger know it's shit.

Killjoy-NL

Omagad you really can't read. Of course I can kill a charger by charging the railgun at 95%. The point was that it's to risky to do it more than 15 times in less than 5 minutes when you are completely overwhelmed by a sudden spawn. Please before posting try to understand what I'm saying.
I don't care the dev call the back of a charger a weak point, in game when playing anyone who fought a charger know it's shit.
I know what you're saying, but that's the entire point of unsafe mode.

And now you whine because due to people like you, they adjusted the Charger itself, as there is far more balance among the weapons rn.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I know what you're saying, but that's the entire point of unsafe mode.
And again, it's not viable.
Edit: a solution would be to make the railgun two shot the armor on the leg at something like 70% charged. And to compensate delete all direct hp damage.
And now you whine because due to people like you, they adjusted the Charger itself, as there is far more balance among the weapons rn.
I never complained about the charger himself, but about the weapons that are too weak. 99% of the post I saw were about this and not the actual state of the chargers. We want to take them down with style and efficiency.
Now if the dev ignore this it's not my fault.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

And again, it's not viable.
Edit: a solution would be to make the railgun two shot the armor on the leg at something like 70% charged. And to compensate delete all direct hp damage.
The railgun is still very viable. The problem is some people think it's a chargeable shotgun. Positioning is key when using it.
I never complained about the charger himself, but about the weapons that are too weak. 99% of the post I saw were about this and not the actual state of the chargers. We want to take them down with style and efficiency.
Now if the dev ignore this it's not my fault.
And on discord, half the people are fine with railgun.

Maybe find a more suitable weapon if the railgun doesn't suit your playstyle.
There's alternatives.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The railgun is still very viable. The problem is some people think it's a chargeable shotgun. Positioning is key when using it.

And on discord, half the people are fine with railgun.
And half are not. Also I'd say it's more 70/30 in favor of a shitty railgun.
Maybe find a more suitable weapon if the railgun doesn't suit your playstyle.
There's alternatives.
Or maybe the anti armor weapon should be very efficient against armor? Like the description of the railgun is saying? I don't think it's an abomination to have this weapon being better to kill armor, the flamethrower to manage enemies floods and arc as a middle ground weapon, rather than putting everything in the same spot. It's boring.

Sooo I can actually shed light on this one. The Railgun in HD1 was a CC weapon that stunned enemies, and was not really a one hit kill weapon as far as I recall against the big enemies. What did annoy me was that the Recoiless Rifle, and the EAT was just dogshit. In the first game they one shot charges when shot from behind, and in HD2 they were just horrible, up to this update.

Killjoy-NL

And half are not. Also I'd say it's more 70/30 in favor of a shitty railgun.
That settles it then, I guess.
Or maybe the anti armor weapon should be very efficient against armor? Like the description of the railgun is saying? I don't think it's an abomination to have this weapon being better to kill armor, the flamethrower to manage enemies floods and arc as a middle ground weapon, rather than putting everything in the same spot. It's boring.
2 shots to remove Charger armor, just like before.
Which means it does what it's supposed to do. It just comes at a risk.

It's also still effective at removing Titan armor.
It does exactly what you ask for.

I even posted a video to proof it to you after you demanded it.
And still you continue this petty nonsense.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That settles it then, I guess.

2 shots to remove Charger armor, just like before.
Which means it does what it's supposed to do. It just comes at a risk.

It's also still effective at removing Titan armor.
It does exactly what you ask for.

I even posted a video to proof it to you after you demanded it.
And still you continue this petty nonsense.
And again t's not viable. Are we gonna do this for days? Let's agree to disagree.

bitbydeath

To get the warbond every month for free, you have to play aprox. over around 10 hours per week, which is above average.

Meaning, most players won't earn enough to get the warbond every month, and many of them will pay for it.

The players who invest instead more time get rewarded for doing so. On average, players who invest more time on a game are more likely to pay for DLC, mtx, passes, etc. So if they don't buy warbonds they will buy cosmetics or whatever they add in the future.

Over time, GaaS normally add additional monetization options, more stuff to buy with real money. They could add paid customization stuff like color/texture variations for helmet, cape, weapons, grenades armor or even hellpod etc. Or maybe weapon customization options that could tweak a bit the weapons like something to improve zoom, laser points of different colors, maybe something to slightly improve recoil, etc.

They could also introduce cosmetic additional stuff like paid only emotes, ship visual costumization, clan based stuff, etc. Or I don't know, maybe short SP campaign DLC episodes.

The idea would be to introduce stuff in the past that even if the player who plays enough can get the warbond, would have more options to pay real money.
Don’t the warbonds accumulate? So if you don’t get it all the first month you can always achieve it the next month, or the month after?

I can see it happen.
Similar to Demon's Souls.
I think it is a hard thing to imitate HD2. It's not like it's a AA game, where other studios say to themselves "we could vastly improve upon this formula". Like a Warzone to PUBG situation. HD2 has some of the best combat mechanics, destruction, animations, and sound of any 3rd person shooter on the market. It would be an incredibly risky investment for any studio to green light a game that would compete with it

Even if a studio did greenlight such a game, it will be 5-7 years before it ever comes to fruition, like what Bungie is attempting to do with Marathon, replacing Tarkov

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Just started playing this game today with my brother, and... I don't know that I get it? I did a mission to activate some control towers - 3 of them, which we did. We then finished the mission, got some XP, and I don't see any log of having ever done that mission, and the Major Missions or whatever it's called doesn't have the mission we did (which was part of it) completed. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't really feel a sense of progression...

dreamstation

Gold Member
Just started playing this game today with my brother, and... I don't know that I get it? Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't really feel a sense of progression...
It's not a story game with linear story missions. You dive into random missions on random planets to slay bugs and bots to save the human race. Or die trying.

Poppyseed

It's not a story game with linear story missions. You dive into random missions on random planets to slay bugs and bots to save the human race. Or die trying.
I see... Doesn't seem too compelling outside of just shooting stuff for no apparent reason, with no obvious loot gain. I'll keep at it, I suppose, but it's definitely not grabbing me like the reviews etc would have me believe.

It's been what? More than a week since the railgun nerf? Looks like most people have adapted. I've just finished a few operations against bugs with complete randoms in helldive difficulty. Me and one other guy where using Arc Throwers. One guy had a grenade launcher for spewers. Last dude did not have a support weapon but he had a mech, tesla, rocket sentry and autocannon sentry. As long as we kept the small stuff at bay and immediately killed chargers (which tend to beeline for sentries), bile titans were hardly a threat with how good the mech and sentries were at bring them down. Ended most missions with 10+ reinforcements. There's a lot more variety in what people bring now and it's great. People are also more likely to stick together now that there's no one size fits all loadout. Yeah, you might not clear the map entire map but super samples and higher medal payouts are pretty much the only reason to be in higher difficulties anyway.

Just started playing this game today with my brother, and... I don't know that I get it? I did a mission to activate some control towers - 3 of them, which we did. We then finished the mission, got some XP, and I don't see any log of having ever done that mission, and the Major Missions or whatever it's called doesn't have the mission we did (which was part of it) completed. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I don't really feel a sense of progression...
Major orders are community wide missions. If you look at the sector view it's going to display the overall progress of each planet. For this major order, you don't get a reward until all 4 of those planets' progress has been completed.

I see... Doesn't seem too compelling outside of just shooting stuff for no apparent reason, with no obvious loot gain. I'll keep at it, I suppose, but it's definitely not grabbing me like the reviews etc would have me believe.
Did you press R while you're on the ship? I knew someone who was level 5 before he discovered that you can use medals to unlock stuff in the warbonds. But yeah, deep down, the game is about shooting and blowing stuff up. If that doesn't appeal to you, then there's little the game can do to win you over.

Poppyseed

It's been what? More than a week since the railgun nerf? Looks like most people have adapted. I've just finished a few operations against bugs with complete randoms in helldive difficulty. Me and one other guy where using Arc Throwers. One guy had a grenade launcher for spewers. Last dude did not have a support weapon but he had a mech, tesla, rocket sentry and autocannon sentry. As long as we kept the small stuff at bay and immediately killed chargers (which tend to beeline for sentries), bile titans were hardly a threat with how good the mech and sentries were at bring them down. Ended most missions with 10+ reinforcements. There's a lot more variety in what people bring now and it's great. People are also more likely to stick together now that there's no one size fits all loadout. Yeah, you might not clear the map entire map but super samples and higher medal payouts are pretty much the only reason to be in higher difficulties anyway.

Major orders are community wide missions. If you look at the sector view it's going to display the overall progress of each planet. For this major order, you don't get a reward until all 4 of those planets' progress has been completed.

Did you press R while you're on the ship? I knew someone who was level 5 before he discovered that you can use medals to unlock stuff in the warbonds. But yeah, deep down, the game is about shooting and blowing stuff up. If that doesn't appeal to you, then there's little the game can do to win you over.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know that I did press R (what is that on the Dualsense controller?). So... the major orders are community wide. Do I even have to do them to get a reward? Or does everyone in the world just get the reward if it's completed? I just don't get what I'm really meant to do be doing. I have two personal orders, - one of which is covered up/barely readable because of the bottom text bar covering it, and I've no idea which baddie is even being listed that I'm meant to kill.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know that I did press R (what is that on the Dualsense controller?). So... the major orders are community wide. Do I even have to do them to get a reward? Or does everyone in the world just get the reward if it's completed? I just don't get what I'm really meant to do be doing. I have two personal orders, - one of which is covered up/barely readable because of the bottom text bar covering it, and I've no idea which baddie is even being listed that I'm meant to kill.
Sorry, no idea what the dualsense equivalent is but anytime that you're in your ship there should be a huge banner near the top of your screen saying what the prompt is. Progression in the game comes mainly from 3 things. Requisitions which are used to unlock stratagems. Samples which are used to give upgrades to your ship. And medals which are used to buy stuff in the warbonds (or what most people call battle passes). They are not battle passes, they're an actual progression system were you can pick what you want provided you've spent enough in the pages before. It's not unlike RPG progressions systems that gate higher tier stuff until you spend enough in the lower tiers. The last currency is super credits which might be called the premium currency but it's earnable via gameplay. You can use those to buy premium armors and unlock premium battle passes.

Also, it's weird that you have two personal orders. Well, since you're new maybe you still have the one where you have to use the Anti-Material Rifle that everyone started with near launch? No idea. The personal order for everyone today are devastators. They're a bot enemy. You can tell what an enemy is called by tagging them. Again, no idea what the command is for controllers but it's tapping Q on PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom