• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

DelireMan7

I believe the game has some dynamic elements, controlled by the studio, like the enemy density and power, something like a DM in D&D.
I've logged 10 hours since Friday, which is after the last update and i observed fluctuations in enemy power and density on the same difficulty.
Yes I heard about their "DM" but he's not very clear about his role.
I have the feeling he decides the "recovery rate" of Planets by enemies and counter attacks.

Would be weird to fluctuate "difficulty" inside a same difficulty level (what would be the point of include difficulty then ?).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
+I paid full price for the game and yet every single future weapon and equipment that is coming to the game will require Battle Pass purchase. How people are okay with this is beyond me. Even F2P games don't make you pay for new weapons, perks and item added to the game

I don't think it's been confirmed that there will never be a free track again, just that there will be a monthly paid track... considering I'm sat on 3200 super credits currently which I earned by playing the game and the premium bands cost 1000, I'm not too worried about that though... although il admit.

Af4sb9O.jpg

I have played a fair bit...

Killjoy-NL

I don't think it's been confirmed that there will never be a free track again, just that there will be a monthly paid track... considering I'm sat on 3200 super credits currently which I earned by playing the game and the premium bands cost 1000, I'm not too worried about that though... although il admit.

Af4sb9O.jpg

Tbh 3200 super credits after 137 hrs, while Warbonds cost 1000 sc, is actually really generous.

I'd even go as far as saying it might be a bit too generous.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't really have any friends I could play this with, is matchmaking with randos generally miserable?
It's very mixed, sometimes it's great and you enjoy playing together, but then there are a lot of assholes who kick you or kill you for no reason.

Mobilemofo

I'm sticking with the 16 round shotgun on solo runs, it's a beast. Secondary guns suck, tho I only have three this far. All of them, utter shit.

I don't really have any friends I could play this with, is matchmaking with randos generally miserable?

It's absolutely random. I find it kind of exciting to see where I end up with. Sometimes you get thrown in a party with people dicking around and not cooperating, halfway through the mission falling apart or not reviving anymore. Basically wasting your time (but can also be funny to be part of). And other times you are part of a team that actually communicates and helps one and another out constantly, doing campaign after campaign with great success.

Also depends heavily on what difficulty you are playing. The higher levels are where generally the more serious players live, so they can be great teammates, but also absolutely brutal with kicking players who are not playing the game 'the correct way'.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Tbh 3200 super credits after 137 hrs, while Warbonds cost 1000 sc, is actually really generous.

I'd even go as far as saying it might be a bit too generous.

I mean I bought a single pack of 2100 SC as well, but iv also bought every single super credits armor on rotation as well which comes to more than that all combined so I will have earned more than 3200...

I mean this is why people like the game, because you can earn those premium armors by just playing. I did buy the super citizen edition though so that means I didn't have to spend 1000 SC for that, and I got 300SC from the pass itself too.

I mean why is it too generous? Players should feel rewarded for just playing, just because other games don't should not mean Helldivers shouldn't. It's one of the core reasons I believe it's so well received, because it feels more than fair and skipping to save time by paying is TRUELY optional, not the lie other companies tell you when they say you can "earn" the premium store items and battle pass.

Yeah 200+ hours to unlock a single armor set, vs like 10 in this by just playing the game. This is what it should be, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Embearded

Yes I heard about their "DM" but he's not very clear about his role.
I have the feeling he decides the "recovery rate" of Planets by enemies and counter attacks.

Would be weird to fluctuate "difficulty" inside a same difficulty level (what would be the point of include difficulty then ?).
I love dynamic elements in games and i wouldn't have a problem with a nested difficulty mechanism. It makes games less predictable and boring.

Killjoy-NL

I mean I bought a single pack of 2100 SC as well, but iv also bought every single super credits armor on rotation as well which comes to more than that all combined so I will have earned more than 3200...

I mean this is why people like the game, because you can earn those premium armors by just playing. I did buy the super citizen edition though so that means I didn't have to spend 1000 SC for that, and I got 300SC from the pass itself too.

I mean why is it too generous? Players should feel rewarded for just playing, just because other games don't should not mean Helldivers shouldn't. It's one of the core reasons I believe it's so well received, because it feels more than fair and skipping to save time by paying is TRUELY optional, not the lie other companies tell you when they say you can "earn" the premium store items and battle pass.
Just talking from a business perspective.

The ease and speed at which one can earn super credits makes me wonder how they're expecting to make profit off of it.

As a gamer, I'm more than happy with how easy it is to earn super credits. No complaints in that regard.

Embearded

There is a farm method that gives ~200 SC per hour and also medals.

1. Trivial game difficulty
2. Day map (it will be small due to difficulty)
3. Farm all points of interest, don't do the mission.
4. Return to ship from menu, not extraction

A run can take even less than 5 minutes.
You lose samples, and the ship currency but you keep SCC and Medals.
Went from 610 to 1100 to less than 2 hours.

It can get faster and more rewarding if you do it with a friend and open the doors thst require 2 players.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There is a farm method that gives ~200 SC per hour and also medals.

1. Trivial game difficulty
2. Day map (it will be small due to difficulty)
3. Farm all points of interest, don't do the mission.
4. Return to ship from menu, not extraction

A run can take even less than 5 minutes.
You lose samples, and the ship currency but you keep SCC and Medals.
Went from 610 to 1100 to less than 2 hours.

It can get faster and more rewarding if you do it with a friend and open the doors thst require 2 players.

Thanks but I'd rather just play the game, but a good option for anyone who's willing to grind them out. I love doing some hard+ runs and just spend 30+ minutes doing side objectives, finding caches around the map etc.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

The ease and speed at which one can earn super credits makes me wonder how they're expecting to make profit off of it.

As a gamer, I'm more than happy with how easy it is to earn super credits. No complaints in that regard.

I mean it depends on the studio, but think about it. Let's say Helldivers has sold 5 million copy's, let's just assume it's the lowest price edition so £35 that's like what, 120 million? After sales tax etc and lower currencies etc. Let's say sony take half of that so 60 million from sales. Now let's say arrowhead have 100 staff with the new hires and their all paid £100,000 each, they could run for 6 years off that...

I mean this is Just extreme rounding, and it could be much higher, but this is how No Man's Sky has operated for so long without asking for any more money for updates.

Unless you have share holders the whole goal of a studio is to grow and pay it's employees, they have more than enough to keep paying them now for years. The only reason they could want more is pure greed, and I think that's has infested the industry recently. Otherwise single players games just would not exist.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm sticking with the 16 round shotgun on solo runs, it's a beast. Secondary guns suck, tho I only have three this far. All of them, utter shit.
They leaked a granade launcher pistol with like 9 ammo that is gonna be the new meta most probably, no more wasting granades on holes.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Lazy gamer with too much money on their hands exist.

That's how blizzard can sell coloured groin steel protections for 50 dollars per piece in diablo 4.

Last edited:
I mean it depends on the studio, but think about it. Let's say Helldivers has sold 5 million copy's, let's just assume it's the lowest price edition so £35 that's like what, 120 million? After sales tax etc and lower currencies etc. Let's say sony take half of that so 60 million from sales. Now let's say arrowhead have 100 staff with the new hires and their all paid £100,000 each, they could run for 6 years off that...

I mean this is Just extreme rounding, and it could be much higher, but this is how No Man's Sky has operated for so long without asking for any more money for updates.

Unless you have share holders the whole goal of a studio is to grow and pay it's employees, they have more than enough to keep paying them now for years. The only reason they could want more is pure greed, and I think that's has infested the industry recently. Otherwise single players games just would not exist.
Sony isn't investing gaas games to make just a little bit of money, they are hoping to make a lot of money to help offset the costs of their single player games

Also, Sony probably views all of their gaas development projects as one big entity. A massive game like HD2 needs to offset costs of other failed Sony gaas projects like Naughty Dog's Factions, London studio's co-op game, and Deviations cancelled PvP game. Sony knew that some of their gaas games would fail. That is just the nature of the gaas industry. But if only 1 or 2 are big hits, that is all they need for it to be profitable.

So, no, I think HD2 will be similar to other gaas games when it comes to microtransactions down the line. There is just way too much money to pass up. Pretty cool that the studio probably won't have predatory microtransactions until major expansions are added way down the line, tho

The CEO even said something to the notion of not emphasizing microtransactions until they've "earned it". So its definitely coming

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

They leaked a granade launcher pistol with like 9 ammo that is gonna be the new meta most probably, no more wasting granades on holes.
Sounds good. We need something. When im out of shotty rounds, I fuckin dread relying on the shithouse secondary weapons. Do more damage throwing fuckin fruit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sounds good. We need something. When im out of shotty rounds, I fuckin dread relying on the shithouse secondary weapons. Do more damage throwing fuckin fruit.
Bring an arc thrower with you and you are gonna forget about primary and secondary weapons, infinite ammo ftw.

I only use my primary and secondary when enemies are glued on my ass and the AT doesn't work.

I love this fucking thing so much that it kinda ruined the game for me because i know that i'm not gonna use anything else for the foreseable future except for the electric shotgun in the next warbound because it basically sound like a small arc thrower :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It is just too good at dealing with hordes of small and medium enemies and it's only really useless against bile titans and hulks (but i killed my fair share of them when they were weakened).

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Bring an arc thrower with you and you are gonna forget about primary and secondary weapons, infinite ammo ftw.

I only use my primary and secondary when enemies are glued on my ass and the AT doesn't work.
AHH ok. I've passed the arc thrower a few times when soloing, but never picked it up. Infinite ammo ftw indeed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
AHH ok. I've passed the arc thrower a few times when soloing, but never picked it up. Infinite ammo ftw indeed.
Not only infnite ammo, the thing melt everything that is not an heavy and from really far away, you can melt hordes before they even get close.

It just has an hard learning curve so the first few times it feels like absolute shite to use, just watch some guide on yt.

For solo it's probably even better because you can't fry your squadmates.

Last edited:

yurinka

I believe the game has some dynamic elements, controlled by the studio, like the enemy density and power, something like a DM in D&D.
I've logged 10 hours since Friday, which is after the last update and i observed fluctuations in enemy power and density on the same difficulty.
In live services games, these things or many stats from player, enemies, weapons etc. are in the server side, so they can change them either manually to rebalance the game.

Some things also change automatically: as an example, the percent of liberation of the planets: it's faster when there are more CCU connected, but instead the enemies recoup faster when there are less CCU. Which goes beyond the number of missions completed. They made this to engage more the players. And the percent of liberation of a planet maybe affects the amount of enemies, their HP or strength (but I assume they kept changing it manually).

They have a guy in charge of all this, a "Dungeon Master" (this is how the studio calls him) role. His name is Joel, so obviously in the commnity there are many jokes about it.

if-joel-is-the-god-of-super-earth-should-i-pray-to-him-to-v0-gfdd9n9zsmlc1.png

Last edited:

yurinka

Battlepass is the last thing this game needs, great way to quickly piss away the good will they have created.
If you mean the Warbond, I earned enough supercredits playing the game during a month to buy 3 of them. No need to pay.

Also, the premium Warbond basically only includes cosmetic variants of stuff available in the free warbond, or weapon/armor with minor stats variants.

The main stuff to unlock in the game is in the free Warbond, the Stratagems store and the ship upgrades. Which can't be paid, they are only unlocked by playing.

yurinka

Af4sb9O.jpg

3200 / 137 = 23.38 super credits per hour

1000 super credits needed for a premium Warbond / 23.8 = 42.77 hours needed to unlock a warbond

I assume you may have spent supercredits on the cosmetics store or getting the premium warbond. I also assume part of these hours were with the game minimized doing something else, or doing nothing in the game (you can check out inside the game menus the time you spent in missions).

So this means you need to play less than 10 hours per week to get your monthly warbond for free.

Braag

Played a whole bunch of games today on terminid planets using the flamethrower and I think I prefer it over the Railgun. It kills Chargers insanely fast when concentrating the fire at their leg and it's quite effective against breaches when a lot of smaller enemies run at you. It's completely useless against Titans though so I always had to rely of other stuff against those or let my team handle them. Also you have to walk sideways or backwards using it or you walk into your own fire.
Railgun is best against Titans still, you can still 1-2 tap them in the mouth and kill them instantly. But having to charge the railgun minimum 2 times to 95% where you're an inch away from instant death just to get the charger armor off is not worth it imo. I still take the Railgun with me quite often against automatons.

Last edited:
Played a whole bunch of games today on terminid planets using the flamethrower and I think I prefer it over the Railgun. It kills Chargers insanely fast when concentrating the fire at their leg and it's quite effective against breaches when a lot of smaller enemies run at you. It's completely useless against Titans though so I always had to rely of other stuff against those or let my team handle them. Also you have to walk sideways or backwards using it or you walk into your own fire.
Railgun is best against Titans still, you can still 1-2 tap them in the mouth and kill them instantly. But having to charge the railgun minimum 2 times to 95% where you're an inch away from instant death just to get the charger armor off is not worth it imo. I still take the Railgun with me quite often against automatons.
If the Titan is distracted by another player, try running beneath it with the flamethrower. It does a ton of damage to its belly. But yeah, most of the time it's useless

Last edited:
Just did two entire operations with randoms on difficulty 8. That's 6 missions in total. Really smooth, no lost connections. No one talking but plenty of marking objectives and calling out threats using in-game options, just how I like it. We didn't bother clearing the map completely each but we did always got the super samples and any tactical objectives that where close by. The mechs are really powerful, not just because they can take down titans and chargers relatively painlessly but because the minigun can clear smaller bugs efficiently so you're rarely swarmed by bug breaches. The most we saw were 4 Titans at the same time and between the one guy that always has a mech and our railcannons, rocket pods, and 500kg bombs they get thinned out pretty fast.

S0ULZB0URNE

They got to work on the friendly fire. Penalize players or something as to many times I been killed by wreckless dumb asses.

Also the kick feature needs to be removed or adjusted.
I had about 12 samples no deaths and was having a great game. On the way to extract I got kicked by a PlayStation player.... yes for no reason.

drotahorror

I've been farming super credits and medals for a bit.

Just now, I got to my super credit spot, looted it (10x SC and 10x SC). Usually it pops up and says 20 SC (it goes by total picked up in past few seconds). But this time it said 110 SC. Sure enough, my total had increased by 110.

Is there a random +100 SC drop now?

I've been farming super credits and medals for a bit.

Just now, I got to my super credit spot, looted it (10x SC and 10x SC). Usually it pops up and says 20 SC (it goes by total picked up in past few seconds). But this time it said 110 SC. Sure enough, my total had increased by 110.

Is there a random +100 SC drop now?
That's been the case from the start.

april6e

I really need them to add a silenced pistol/rifle and a melee weapon (lightsaber?) to satisfy my need for subterfuge.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I love this fucking thing so much that it kinda ruined the game for me because i know that i'm not gonna use anything else for the foreseable future except for the electric shotgun in the next warbound because it basically sound like a small arc thrower :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It is just too good at dealing with hordes of small and medium enemies and it's only really useless against bile titans and hulks (but i killed my fair share of them when they were weakened).
How do you switch back to these weapons after going to primary/secondary ones? It doesn’t rotate with the triangle button, is there another button or do you have to call a new one down ?

DelireMan7

They got to work on the friendly fire. Penalize players or something as to many times I been killed by wreckless dumb asses.
Don't count on this. Friendly fire is kind of the trademark of the franchise.

You have to be careful and others too. Sometimes you'll be unlucky with randoms but it's like that.

Killjoy-NL

Don't count on this. Friendly fire is kind of the trademark of the franchise.

You have to be careful and others too. Sometimes you'll be unlucky with randoms but it's like that.
People also shouldn't forget that sometimes, people accidently drop strategems because they trip, or get swarmed and need their weapon, or they die.

Or just the fact that they realize we're expendable. Getting the job done is what ultimately matters.
I mean, the entire lore is built around us being expendable, generic nobodies, mindlessly carrying out missions for Super Earth.

Last edited:

Fabieter

The last part is funny since Sony has shareholders and owns the IP. And no if you don't make any profit your money would have been better spend elsewhere.

Top Bottom