• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II’s big global marketing campaign has begun

Spitfire098

(When) If this games bomb in the sales charts, what is that like 2 in a row, with Forza motorsport being the other.
The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Last edited:

Fbh

Helldivers, rise of the ronin and stellar blade are all 3rd party games that sony happens to be publishing.... still applies man, their internal teams are in disarray/mismanaged.

Just happens to be publishing?
You make it sound like these studios just walked up to Sony with completed games and asked them to print them on discs or something. Publishing often involves a significant financial investment, Sony paid for a significant part or the complete development cost of these games. There are interviews from Shift Up where they talked about how Stellar Blade used to be a much smaller game before Sony approached them and offered a significant investment in the projects.

Helldivers 2 in particular is a full Sony IP, just because they don't own the studio that they contracted to develop it doesn't mean that it "doesn't count". That's like saying Smash Ultimate isn't a real Switch exclusive because Nintendo doesn't own Bandai Namco.

The only fake Ps5 exclusive this year is Rebirth. Because that's indeed a game that would have been made anyway and Sony just paid Square to not put it on other platforms for a while.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
why are people talking about Sony published games in a thread about HB2 marketing?
Oh, you know. Xbox is having one of the roughest weeks ever! Let's pivot to PlayStation™. :p

In reality, most people with functioning brains couldn't give two shits if Helldivers II was made by Naughty Dog or Arrowhead. They're buying/playing the game among others (Rebirth/Ronin/Stellar).

Truespeed

Our global paid media campaign started yesterday across YouTube, HBO/Max, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit (In-feed promoted posts), Search, and Samsung

Samsung? Is that where the kids are at nowadays?

Last edited:

Astray

anothertech

I love ninja theory. They create some badass games.

I hate that their latest entry is relegated to gamepass bullshitery. Fully expect a PS5 release announcement in the next few months.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The only fake Ps5 exclusive this year is Rebirth. Because that's indeed a game that would have been made anyway and Sony just paid Square to not put it on other platforms for a while.
Sony probably helped them a lot. If you are looking at Rebirth only I could somewhat agree with you. But if we look at the whole FF7 remake history I have to point out that Sony helped them with a very strong commitment for a 10 year trilogy plan that Square Enix maybe was not willing to make alone. And we still have another game to wait for.
What more would you want for it to be considered not a fake exclusive?

nial

Gold Member
Words, words and words, only for you to be entirely wrong. You have no idea of what constitutes as a first-party game for Sony; Arrowhead, Koei Tecmo and Shift Up aren't the ones marketing those games, because it's not their job, but rather the business of Sony's first-party marketing departments.

Last edited:

Pelao

Hellblade II screams console launch game so strongly that it's funny that it's coming out more than three years after the fact.
The last game in a similar situation that I can remember is The Order 1886.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They can't make 3 min launch trailer or they'll spoil half of the game.

This probably more accurate than you think.

If the game really is as short as everyone is saying it is, they're not going to have that much material to work with for promotion. If it's already got a reputation for being tiny, then putting out advertising that reinforces that would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Ywap

I hope i'm wrong but i'm having a hard time seeing this game doing well....

The first one have a reputation of very mediocre gameplay so...... But we'll see if there is a big enough market for this kind of game. I wish them luck atleast 👍

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Perfect. 8 hours is about right. Uncharted series are some of my favourite games with similar play times. My time is very limited with gaming so don't want 100 hour games

Depends. The gameplay and story have to be very compelling for 8 hours to be adequate. Having played the first game, I'm not entirely sure it's going to have enough depth or variety to impress at such a short length, given the expectations heaped upon it.

Last edited:
Words, words and words, only for you to be entirely wrong. You have no idea of what constitutes as a first-party game for Sony; Arrowhead, Koei Tecmo and Shift Up aren't the ones marketing those games, because it's not their job, but rather the business of Sony's first-party marketing departments.
Oh

FunkMiller

Gold Member
How long does anyone want to spend in the mind of a mentally ill psychotic bitch from hell? I'd have thought 5 minutes would be too long, let alone 8 hrs. I could have some empathy for her, but would I want to actually be her? Hell no.

The first game just about got the balance right. There was a bit too much internal dialogue at some points, but not to the extent that is spoiled the game experience.

King Dazzar

The first game just about got the balance right. There was a bit too much internal dialogue at some points, but not to the extent that is spoiled the game experience.
Unfortunately I hated it. I persevered multiple times too, due to the hype and others love for it. But I found it to have obtuse puzzles, awful combat, but some nice (though overrated imo) graphics. I wasnt impressed.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unfortunately I hated it. I persevered multiple times too, due to the hype and others love for it. But I found it to have obtuse puzzles, awful combat, but some nice (though overrated imo) graphics. I wasnt impressed.

It was... fine. An AA version of God Of War, with less gameplay, more stilted combat, but a fairly interesting story that at least held my attention for the running time.

What it isn't is a game that has massive, mass market appeal.

Ninja Theory are fucking toast.

It's also going to get compared saleswise to the other big female protagonist game on the other console: Stellar Blade. :pie_astonished:

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hard to envision this being a big hit. I don't think it has broad enough appeal.

Will check it out for the graphics. It's basically Scorn 2.

If the reviews are decent, I'll resubscribe to Game Pass to play through Hellblade 2. That's like $10 directly attributable to HB2.

If the budget was $100M (it's probably more), then 10,000,000 other players doing the same alone would break even.

If selling for $40, then 2,500,000 copies sold alone would break even.

But I'm probably low on the budget, and it would be a mix of GP subscriptions and sales not just one or the other.

Yeah...it's not looking good.

Top Bottom