• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade II’s big global marketing campaign has begun

Two of the biggest successes this year (Helldivers and Stellar Blade) are games funded by Sony, also considered second-party.

It doesn't matter what XBOX has in the pipeline, none of those games will be better than these two.
Oh I'm with you on Helldivers. Nothing is beating that this year. Hellblade will finish ahead of stellar blade though when it comes to game awards....even with the Xbox tax.

Oh and btw the biggest success this year by far is actually palworld.

blazing saddles no GIF

Ok the good news is it sounds like you guys might still get some indie games or an expansion or something before March 2025. Hey, maybe you'll get your own Pentiment! Would be sick

Oh I'm with you on Helldivers. Nothing is beating that this year. Hellblade will finish ahead of stellar blade though when it comes to game awards....even with the Xbox tax.

Oh and btw the biggest success this year by far is actually palworld.

Stellar Blade has had the biggest tax of the year, don't play dumb. Let's not pretend it hasn't been the most boycotted game since Hogwarts Legacy. There are no awards in the world that will make Hellblade a better game, sorry. That's Sanderson-level fantasy.

As for Palworld, what has XBOX contributed to its success?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's a day 1 GP indie game, so likely some or all of its development cost was covered by Xbox.

They're also supporting it post-launch with dedicated servers, direct engineering support etc.

Stellar Blade has had the biggest tax of the year, don't play dumb. Let's not pretend it hasn't been the most boycotted game since Hogwarts Legacy.

What? lol. The only tax Stellar Blade had was with dumbshits like Grummz, no gaming news / reviews website boycotted it.

What are you even talking about ..

Last edited:

adamsapple

In terms of just all time concurrent players sure. Helldivers almost assuredly surpassed it as far as sales go though

I'm not so sure about that. It had sold 15m on just Steam alone in Feb. It probably sold a couple of more on Xbox (not including the game pass numbers) by now too.

I don't think HD2 has sold that much. Piscatella just mentions it as one of the top selling 'premium games'. I don't think he counts Palworld as a 'premium game' FWIW.

I would love to find out numbers for both though. They're both probably very high.

Last edited:
Stellar Blade has had the biggest tax of the year, don't play dumb. Let's not pretend it hasn't been the most boycotted game since Hogwarts Legacy. There are no awards in the world that will make Hellblade a better game, sorry. That's Sanderson-level fantasy.

Oh I didn't say Xbox contributed to the success of Palworld. I'm not trying to win a console war battle with you lol. I was just stating as a matter of fact that Palworld is the biggest game of the year. It is Palworld that needs to be dethroned, not Helldivers, stellar blade or anything else.

Palworld is the most successful game of the year. I'm not talking about what the game of the year snobs are gunna say or whatever. Idgaf about critics who are actually movie fans pretending to be gaming fans. The most successful game is the one that gets the most ppl playing it and having fun. By the end of the year it will almost certainly be call of duty. Right now it's Palworld. Thats just what the numbers say. If you wanna argue "opinion" of which game is better based on which one you happen to like, I have no interest in arguing opinions as if they are facts.

In terms of just all time concurrent players sure. Helldivers almost assuredly surpassed it as far as sales go though
In my opinion it certainly deserves to! Idk about that though. Palworlds sales are also very much hurt by being offered to millions of gamepass subscribers for free though so that's muddy. I'll be very surprised if Helldivers doesn't have a SIGNIFICANTLY longer tail than Palworld though. I want more PS on PC day one!

I'm not so sure about that. It had sold 15m on just Steam alone in Feb. It probably sold a couple of more on Xbox (not including the game pass numbers) by now too.

I don't think HD2 has sold that much. Piscatella just mentions it as one of the top selling 'premium games'. I don't think he counts Palworld as a 'premium game' FWIW.

Palworld couldn't stay in the top 3 on Steam for more than 3 weeks.

Compare that to Helldivers.

adamsapple

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I would love to find out numbers for both though. They're both probably very high.

"The PS5 or PC version alone would make HD2 best selling game in US YTD"

That's a valid point. Though I think PW burned bright as fuck in its first month and got a fuck-ton of quick sales.

Sure, it's first month was a lightning in the bottle, but we're 3 - 4 months in now. Helldivers 2 is still at the top and Palworld had long been out of the picture.

Look at it this way. We know it's the 7th highest grossing PS title in terms of revenue in just 2 months. It was able to achieve that at a $40 price point.

For what it's worth, Steabdb's 'owner estimates' section has Palworld ahead on all the estimate trackers.

I can't take the steam estimates seriously lol. The numbers are all over the place. But even if we're to go by that, factor in the PS sales and you're pushing well ahead of palworld.

Last edited:

adamsapple

"The PS5 or PC version alone would make HD2 best selling game in US YTD"

Sure, but going by what was reported near launch, the US wasn't Palworld's biggest selling territory, so US only sales aren't an entirely accurate metric.

There isn't a newer version of this chart, but it's a good reference point.

palworld-7.jpg

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Well, lets take it from another angle. If my signed out browser is still only returning targeted hits. Then why would I not be targeted for Hellblade 2? It would know that I'm a gamer. It would know that I was subscribed to Xbox channels. And also, why are my signed out search results similar if not identical to adamsapple adamsapple when he's signed out to.

If I search the same thing you did, I get a bunch of trailers and preview videos as far back as five years ago. I don’t sub to any gaming channels or gaming personalities. My search results are very different than yours.

Ignoring your ignorance on algorithms and targeted content, the point remains. Your search results are meaningless. Last post I will make on this matter, it’s like common sense stuff.

midnightAI

Ok the good news is it sounds like you guys might still get some indie games or an expansion or something before March 2025. Hey, maybe you'll get your own Pentiment! Would be sick
Read it again, carefully next time

And besides, it shouldn't matter, exclusive is exclusive, who gives a shit if that's by a third party, a second party or internal first party? That goalpost kept shifting by one side or the other and in the end its pretty much the same thing. Phil Spenser himself said they consider the game first party if it's published by them and they fund it (fully or partially). Next it will be internal first party who only use their own engine.

Last edited:

eerik9000

I was browsing a bit of soshul media and it looks like Greenberg accidentally ordered a campaing to promote Icelandic tourism, not the game. Oh well, happens. Greeny is such a lovely goofball, give him a raise!

GymWolf

Wasn't the last news about hd2 talking about 8 mil copies at the very least?

King Dazzar

If I search the same thing you did, I get a bunch of trailers and preview videos as far back as five years ago. I don’t sub to any gaming channels or gaming personalities. My search results are very different than yours.

Ignoring your ignorance on algorithms and targeted content, the point remains. Your search results are meaningless. Last post I will make on this matter, it’s like common sense stuff.
You've been focused on spinning, deflecting and trivialising my point. Which doesnt wash with me. I'm simply not seeing positive channel engagement off the back of a marketing drive. I do for all other games prior to release. Starfield for example was alive all over youtube. Yet when I search for Hellblade 2 I just dont see it. I cant be alone with that.

Now if you were to be sincere with trying to expand my knowledge on how media channel engagement works. I'm happy to be humble and embrace knowledge, even in the most unlikely of places. But that isn't what you're about here.

Read it again, carefully next time

And besides, it shouldn't matter, exclusive is exclusive, who gives a shit if that's by a third party, a second party or internal first party? That goalpost kept shifting by one side or the other and in the end its pretty much the same thing. Phil Spenser himself said they consider the game first party if it's published by them and they fund it (fully or partially). Next it will be internal first party who only use their own engine.
Lol again. I was initially responding to someone who said that Aaron Greenberg doesn't have a lot to do this year because Xbox doesn't have anything besides Hellblade to advertise. I pointed out that Xbox has a lot to advertise and it is a Sony's first party advertising that does not have a lot to do. Then you and a bunch of port begging ponies came out and started having an entirely separate argument involving third party games. If Aaron Greenberg and his Sony counterpart are in charge of advertising THIRD party games then I guess that makes sense but I do not believe that is the case. Also yes I see that Sony says they don't have any new EXISTING franchise IP so yes they could still have some major NEW IP launch before the end of the year but it's already May. Maybe they will announce at this next show they have but either way getting back to my original point. This is not the year to say that Aaron doesn't have a lot to advertise this year. As a guy who advertises his company's FIRST party games, he is a lot busier than his PS counterpart on THIS particular year. If that's a controversial statement to you, you are delusional.

Third party and first party combined, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has another better year than Xbox this year.

midnightAI

Lol again. I was initially responding to someone who said that Aaron Greenberg doesn't have a lot to do this year because Xbox doesn't have anything besides Hellblade to advertise. I pointed out that Xbox has a lot to advertise and it is a Sony's first party advertising that does not have a lot to do. Then you and a bunch of port begging ponies came out and started having an entirely separate argument involving third party games. If Aaron Greenberg and his Sony counterpart are in charge of advertising THIRD party games then I guess that makes sense but I do not believe that is the case. Also yes I see that Sony says they don't have any new EXISTING franchise IP so yes they could still have some major NEW IP launch before the end of the year but it's already May. Maybe they will announce at this next show they have but either way getting back to my original point. This is not the year to say that Aaron doesn't have a lot to advertise this year. As a guy who advertises his company's FIRST party games, he is a lot busier than his PS counterpart on THIS particular year. If that's a controversial statement to you, you are delusional.

Third party and first party combined, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has another better year than Xbox this year.
I was just pointing out the ...

any new major existing franchise titles

So, that means Sony could in theory release new IP's and/or smaller titles that are an existing franchise. Some people have read that as Sony are releasing no first party games until March 2025, but that's not what they said (doesn't guarantee they will release any new IP's before then of course as you mention)

Last edited:

kensama

Enslaved was probably the best thing they've done. DMC is, well not DMC, enough said.
Heavenly Sword was very good just a framerate problem but combat, graphics all was ok.
I tried hellblade and don't understand what happen to Ninja Theory with this game? The combat are not on the same level than their first game on PS3.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Microsoft at $3T market cap, the #1 largest company in the world, when it comes to funnel money to Xbox division they are like this

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF
And rightfully so. Xbox predates Azure, if you were in charge where would you invest: in video games or to dominate cloud market?

adamsapple

This is dope. Using it on my Series X when I get home.

Some of these dynamic themes are pretty good. I've had that DIablo 4 Lilith one since it launched. Darker colors there also mean I don't blind myself when turning the console on at night (the room has dim-lighting).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The fuck are they doing at Sony.

Jesus their live service push has been a major screwup eh.

Aenima

The fuck are they doing at Sony.

Jesus their live service push has been a major screwup eh.
Sony bros been eating pretty good this year, much better than last year. The FUD console warriors take from that quote is hilarious when this years we already had GrandBlue Fantasy Relink, Final Fantasy Rebirth, Helldivers II, Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade. Not to mention all the great multiplatform games.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sony bros been eating pretty good this year, much better than last year. The FUD console warriors take from that quote is hilarious when this years we already had GrandBlue Fantasy Relink, Final Fantasy Rebirth, Helldivers II, Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade. Not to mention all the grat multiplatform games.

I have 3 playstations under my tv - the last xbox to grace my tv stand was removed in 2012 when it died due to a severe case of RROD and by then Microsoft had ended the free repair program.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Then you should know better what Sony been pumping out this year and dont fall for FUD news.

Helldivers, rise of the ronin and stellar blade are all 3rd party games that sony happens to be publishing.... still applies man, their internal teams are in disarray/mismanaged.

I was just pointing out the ...

So, that means Sony could in theory release new IP's and/or smaller titles that are an existing franchise. Some people have read that as Sony are releasing no first party games until March 2025, but that's not what they said (doesn't guarantee they will release any new IP's before then of course as you mention)
Yup you are absolutely correct. I appreciate the clarification

Aenima

Helldivers, rise of the ronin and stellar blade are all 3rd party games that sony happens to be publishing.... still applies man, their internal teams are in disarray/mismanaged.
Helldivers is a 1st party game. IP is owned by Sony. Others studios are doing fine, Insomniac just released Spider Man 2 last year, Santa Monica is working on a new IP. Same for Naughty Dog even if the team working on the GAAS title canceled the project. Asobi Team is rumored to launch a new game still this year.

Sony pumps out games to players and thats all that matters, 1st party, 2nd Party, 3rd party, who cares when they are quality games being delivered to you?

Dont fall for FUD headlines and console warriors narratives when this year has been one of the best starting years since PS5 launched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom