• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTVTest: HDMI 2.1 Bug on 2020 AV Receivers Affects Xbox Series X but Not PS5... Why?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

PS5HD.jpg

3090HD.jpg

XSXHD.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I still can't understand why anyone would want to connect consoles to the AV and then to the TV and not directly to the TV and use eARC to the receiver instead. A lot less problems

I personally only use headsets, so have zero experience with surround systems, nor I'm will to ever invest on one. Your solution has been brought by kyliethicc kyliethicc as well.

onesvenus

Having watched the video, if the problem is the DSC compression, that means that everyone will have problems streaming anything higher than 8K@30 video to those receivers because the HDMI 2.1 spec states that can only be done with a compressed stream. It's obviously a non problem for now but I really hope nobody bought some of those receivers expecting them to last 10 years.

Anki

Banned
I still can't understand why anyone would want to connect consoles to the AV and then to the TV and not directly to the TV and use eARC to the receiver instead. A lot less problems

Not enough ports on the TV, if your TV has only 2 ports one is used for eArc and other for lets say ps5, you dont have choice if you want to connect xbox.
Also less cables going into TV, just one hdmi other ones are plugged into av receiver.

onesvenus

Not enough ports on the TV, if your TV has only 2 ports one is used for eArc and other for lets say ps5, you dont have choice if you want to connect xbox.
Also less cables going into TV, just one hdmi other ones are plugged into av receiver.
I can understand not having enough ports but then I'd think you are better changing the TV before buying a powerful receiver.
And about the cables, do you think the huge price increase for having a receiver with 4K@120FPS 10-bit color is worth for having less cables?

onesvenus

Will you still get surround sound doing that?
Yes, of course. Most televisions have an ARC/eARC HDMI port that will use to output TV sound (including streaming apps) to a receiver and they will use that to output sound coming from other HDMI ports. The TV doesn't do anything with the audio signal it just passes it though to the receiver

UUFF

thank god i skipped the avr, i was about to get the denonx6700, ill wait.
I have mine plugged through my Denon AVR but I dont think I will be upgrading it for 4k 120Hz. Think I will be plugging into the TV then just run the AVR from eARC. Lot of money for an AVR upgrade that is not necessarily needed. PS5 X90H & a new Denon.. Thats about £2-2.5k depending. Thats a lot for next gen gaming.

A.Romero

At least in my case (Samsung 2017 TV and Onkyo 2016 AVR) you can't get the same sound codecs while doing that. I get stereo with ARC.

Not sure regarding HDR.

(Tested with PS4, PC, Chromecast, ShieldTV.)

FrankWza

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah I mean that's sort of the point of eARC.

But before eARC ARC wasn't capable of sending the higher quality codecs, and all of ARC has been a bit of a crapshoot as far as which devices support what.

So I'm not exactly super trusting eARC is going to be the end-all solution... but hopefully it's not a shitshow like ARC has always been. But a lot of people avoided ARC because it didn't support the higher end audio codecs, hence why I think even with eARC emerging people are still stuck in their old ways of running everything through the receiver.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I really wish the ps5 and the xbox series x has an audio only hdmi output like on uhd bluray players.

It would have really helped a lot of people out as they could have kept their hdmi 2.0b av receivers.

I use a hdmi from my pc gpu to my LG C9 and a 2nd from my motherboard to my av receiver x6300h and I get dolby atmos absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Yes, of course. Most televisions have an ARC/eARC HDMI port that will use to output TV sound (including streaming apps) to a receiver and they will use that to output sound coming from other HDMI ports. The TV doesn't do anything with the audio signal it just passes it though to the receiver
ARC wasn’t full stream anythin huge compromise of audio quality, can’t agree with that part, it’s worth it. It could only do compressed formats and sent 1Mbs at the max. The tv doesn’t get the full stream to start with due to technical limitations.

eArc is amazing though it can do any format uncompressed sends 37Mbs through.

So you’re half right.

ARC 1Mbs sucked eARC 37Mbs is amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom