• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have the Gears of Wars series lost its star power ?

Have the Gears of Wars series lost its star power ?

• No i think its doing perfectly fine

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • I think the franchise reputation has been tarnished and game should be aborted

Votes: 62 47.0%
  • Gears is still doing fine but Coalition need to be replaced

Votes: 25 18.9%

• Total voters

Barakov

The chemistry that Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird had really was one of the defining points of those first three games. That is something that the new characters just don't have. And whenever they try to do it, it really comes off as very forced.

Markness

Banned
I am biased, as I enjoy hunting for achievements and playing singleplayer games... the halo and gears games require you to play with other people and nowadays, people just don't dig it so much. I struggle to find any of my friends to ever do an entire campaign with, and I don't want to go and search for some random person online, so they are somewhat out of touch as to who they are making the game for.. co-op is not interesting anymore. Look at Doom (2016), people praise it for its singleplayer. I think the multiplayer is something they can also focus on, but try to make the game's campaign awesome again. If they don't want to do that, then they should just scrap the whole campaign and focus only on MP like what CoD is doing nowadays... and thinking out loud, that might just be their best chance if they want to make their games "popular". But, they need to have some sort of gimmick... battle royale? More like Destiny? MMO? Something different, but not catering to a dead genre (RTS comes to mind).

Arkage

Banned
For me Gears is one of those series that has had incredibly diminishing returns. I don't know why but none of the sequels captured my attention like the first one. And having played through 4 and 5, it just reinforces the fact that I'm pretty much done with the series.

The main problem for me might be the enemy and story generally. It's just so damn braindead that I can't seem to give a shit who anyone is or why they're doing anything. The Locust might as well just be a constantly resurrecting zombie horde. Gears 5 clearly tried to work on this aspect but it's still just not good enough. The base lore of the series is just too shallow.

ZywyPL

Banned
After playing The Division it's hard to go back to Gears' rough gameplay, and as more and more games offer smooth, seamless animations and transitions the more and more outdated Gears are becoming. The gameplay that started the entire series and changed the entire industry is becoming its biggest issue IMO, it's simply not that fun to play anymore, and is a big limiting factor.

And the plot/universe isn't helping the series at all, I feel it's like with most soap operas that should've ended after 1st season, but instead are being prolonged with another 4, 5, 6 completely forced seasons just to milk every last penny from the audience. I think many will agree that Gears should've ended after a trilogy, where humanity finally wins the war, Locust are completely wiped out, and things are slowly coming back to normal. But instead I really don't fell any need to keep playing the series, enough is enough, what they are trying to achieve, what are they trying to tell? At this point I think it would be just better to make Gears 6 where you play as the bad guys, destroy the humanity, and end the series once and for all, and let The Coalition start a new AAA IP.

GC_DALBEN

I love gears, one of the best trilogies ever, but i didnt liked the protagonist of 5, and 4 was kinda meh (i liked the protagonist), i dont think ill buy it again at full price.

Gears 5 was a great game. It was a graphical beast, one of the best looking games of the generation.
They also added some more elements to the game from previous ones.
What needs to happen with both Gears and Halo is that 343 and The Coalition need to work on new IPs as well. They can then rotate between the games and they wont burn out the franchise as quick. I mean 343 have like 500 employees, so they should have plenty of resources to do just that.

IKSTUGA

Definitely. The games are prettier and more polished than they've ever been, but something feels missing. Could be the pussified story + characters and lack of originality.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I enjoyed Gears 5 but obviously it's no longer an elite series. The plot peaked with 3, the new characters aren't half as interesting as the originals and the new enemies aren't nearly as engaging to fight.

Open world elements were dumb too.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Before people raging about me being a a masochist this has nothing to do with me hating female characters in videogame

You're referring to a misogynist, someone who hates women.

A masochist is someone who loves to have pain inflicted on him/her, either physical, mental, or both.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Really enjoying operation 3. The F2P aspects were dialed back (characters are now much easier to unlock, only requiring 30k XP for each and not playing tedious tasks to unlock them), prices in the store have come down even more, the gameplay is as good as ever and the new 12 round Horde mode is a blessing. After not having touched the game in three months, I am back to grind my way through the tour of duty once again.

Tiamat2san

For me the game is excellent.
Still a blast to play.
Horde is incredibly fun to play.
2 new maps for this mode in the last update and they say they’ll do more and more often.
All I want.

Gears of War never had any power on me.

I can remember two things about it: the first tech demo long ago that had the huge monster in it and that the game helped make over-the-shoulder view point the most popular in third-person games. I HATE that view point with a fiery fucking passion.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it’s enjoying a rebirth.

It felt like it began to lose steam around Gears 3, and Judgement and 4 flipped it into just another random series.

But 5... they really made an impact with that, and more importantly, kind of took Gears forward and gave it an identity again, beyond ‘that series you had great memories of on the 360’.

I don’t think it’s at its former level, but it feels like the series is finally developing its own style and direction, post-Epic. For years I rolled my eyes every time Microsoft mentioned yet another Gears sequel, but I don’t think I’ll be doing that anymore.

At least that’s how it feels from the outside looking in.

martino

i don't get the number argument....
So bloodnorne is not a star and sony should stop anything around it , this will obvisouly not be okay in this case for most of the 46% of this poll.

Last edited:

dilbag

The chemistry that Marcus, Dom, Cole and Baird had really was one of the defining points of those first three games. That is something that the new characters just don't have. And whenever they try to do it, it really comes off as very forced.

The new characters are really lame to be honest, the series went from an M rated GI Joe vs monsters vibe to a Nathan Drake wannabe and friends fighting the monsters little brother. They need to bring back the delta squad dynamic and focus on that. Heck even the DLC from 3 (Raams Shadow) had better characters then 4/5 does.

That said I do enjoy the online and horde modes still, escape is nothing special though. I wish they focused on a better single player or spin off side campaigns instead of escape.

hyperbertha

The core gameplay has been done to death. It's just not unique anymore. The only way to compensate for that is having great writing, which it hasn't delivered with newer entries.

Aion002

I think that's MS fault, they should treat the series with more respect. Gears 5 is great but the marketing behind gave me a bad impression, that E3 presentation focusing on MP was dumb as fuck.

Why God Of War wins goty and will be remembered as top 10 game of the gen and Gears 5 can't do the same?

This is a really interesting point but I think theres a lot of stuff that separate god of war and gears. Gears fans put gameplay at the forefront and the type of cover based gameplay they expect from Gears is important to have in every game and they can't fuck with that formula. Unlike God of War fans who dont really care that much about the type of gameplay 1-3 had and were more open to the new gameplay of 4 that plays vastly different and more close and personal.

From a story perspective though, I agree gears needs something like that, a "soft reboot" type story that distances itself a lot from the previous few games and tells a new story with a similar core. I don't see why Marcus Fenix cannot play a similar role to Kratos in 4 as an older figure.

Top Bottom