• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have the Gears of Wars series lost its star power ?

Have the Gears of Wars series lost its star power ?

• No i think its doing perfectly fine

Votes: 45 34.1%
  • I think the franchise reputation has been tarnished and game should be aborted

Votes: 62 47.0%
  • Gears is still doing fine but Coalition need to be replaced

Votes: 25 18.9%

• Total voters
FI-810x400.jpg

Over the years people seems to feel less and less compelled to play the game. What seems to be one of the most famous third person shooter brand in the world seems to take a wrong turn now and spiraled down into oblivion.

Heres a quick look at how the series perform over the years

Total sales

Gears of War : 5 m
Gears of War 2 : 5 m
Gears of War 3 : 3 m
Gears of War Judgement : 1,6 m
Gears of War Ultimate Edition : 3,62 m
Gears of War 4 : 3,38 m
Gears 5 : NA

So what exactly happened here? Have the market change ? Or Microsoft cant simply rely on the same cover shooter formula that works wonder for them ? Does a substantial change need to be done in order to reinvigorate the series ?

How do you think the series doing over the year?

Something need to be done or evaluated ?

Are you satidfied with how the franchise going under the new Coalition stud

Share us your opinion

Last edited:
FI-810x400.jpg

Over the years people seems to feel less and less compelled to play the game. What seems to be one of the most famous third person shooter brand in the world seems to take a wrong turn now and spiraled down into oblivion.

Total sales

So what exactly happened here? Have the market change ? Or Microsoft cant simply rely on the same cover shooter formula that works wonder for them ? Does a substantial change need to be done in order to reinvogare the series ?

Share us your opinion
Since Game Pass sales are not interesting anymore. Those games are not the most innovative and the story is not the best, but graphics + gameplay still rock.
Sony goes for graphics + story (+ singleplayer), Microsoft for graphics + gameplay (+ multiplayer). I'm totally fine with it.

xrnzaaas

Sales numbers don't mean much, Gears 4 and 5 dropped in price very quickly. Personally I gave up on the series after playing 4. It certainly doesn't help that Xbox doesn't have other IP's from the same genre to mix things up and prevent fatigue from settling in.

None of these. I think the franchise needs a shake up but I don’t think the Coalition needs to be thrown under the bus just like that. But they need a God of War style reimagining.

A lot of people think 3 is the best one but it sold less than 1 and 2. So sales don’t tell the whole story.

Last edited:

alienator

after the extremely disappointing judgment im having a hard time playing the series couldnt be bothered with 4 and 5 for just a few hours , never played them any further because of robots and more crap, even horde mode has become boring.

Stuart360

Its just a bit stale for me. The core gameplay is still solid, its just been there done that too many times now. I kind of hope they go full open world next game, and have rpg mechanics like leveling up etc. Kind of how i feel Halo Infinite will be (the open world part anyway).

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Needs a rest and then a full reboot.

Ironic because Burger King have spent decades trying to claw market share from Mcdonald's. The people who don't buy your products but do buy stuff from your competitors are exactly the people you want to hear from if you have any intention of growing.

I... I can’t actually argue this logic. 👍🏻

Airbus Jr

Banned
Marcus Fenix is still my favourite character in the series

JD is not doing bad either in Gears 4, he kinda grows on me too

Its a shame they had to go with Kait on 5, she just doesnt have the same impact for me

Before people raging about me being a a masochist this has nothing to do with me hating female characters in videogame

People said Gears are only about MP but i wholeheartedly disagree. The core single player campaign need to be done corectly, it is the most important part of the game for me

Last edited:
It's not the franchise that has lost appeal, it's the tastes of the people who have changed over the year.
Nowadays, for example, there is more interest in following the streamers and the game that is fashionable at the moment rather than playing and getting your own idea.

Died after 2 for me.

It's not the franchise that has lost appeal, it's the tastes of the people who have changed over the year.
Nowadays, for example, there is more interest in following the streamers and the game that is fashionable at the moment rather than playing and getting your own idea.

No, its the fact that over the course of 13 years they never evolved the gameplay. At all.

Whats with the female protags face anyhow. Whos your target audience with that... thing.

For all the complaints of over use of generic scowling angry white man, they replace them with angry not quite white but not black either scowling women.

Last edited:

TheSweeper

I couldn't get into Gears 1-3. But I played through 4 and 5 and liked them a lot, especially Gears 5. As far as I'm concerned the series is going in the right direction.

FI-810x400.jpg

Total sales

Gears 5 : NA

So what exactly happened here? Have the market change ? Or Microsoft cant simply rely on the same cover shooter formula that works wonder for them ? Does a substantial change need to be done in order to reinvigorate the series ?

Share us your opinion

If Gears 4 sold 3.38 million then wouldn't it be more or less on par with the trilogy sales given the One has a smaller install base than the 360 had? As for Gears 5, that's my GOTY 2019, no-nonsense AAA blockbuster and some of the best graphics I've seen on consoles. Have to admit though the ending felt a bit rushed.

Regarding star power, I don't think it has the moving power it used to but it's still an important franchise for Xbox. I wouldn't mind though if the Coalition shelve the series to work on something else then come back with Gears 6 in 5 years or so.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is that the new mains are completely uninteresting both personality wise and through appearance.

I just don't give a fuck. All through 4 and 5 my mindset was "let me play as Marcus you assholes".

And that's cause Marcus is cool, these new guys are not. If they got some character designers and writers worth a damn on board to make some new faces worthy of my interest, we can talk.

I couldn't get into Gears 1-3. But I played through 4 and 5 and liked them a lot, especially Gears 5. As far as I'm concerned the series is going in the right direction.

Off a Cliff along with your ability to differentiate between reality and fiction?

Thats not a direction that a diagnosis.

Even Tony Soprano knew when it was time to see someone about their problems.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

OG Gears of War was a stupid excuse to insert pro wrestler personalities into an alternate sci-fi universe and mindlessly shoot shit. I hate wrestling, but it worked for me.

Everything after 3 looks like it lost its soul and purpose. And partly for that reason, ditching X-Box after the 360 was one of the best choices I've made for gaming.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Star power" lost? Yes, since the second, maybe third

Still is doing fine, but for sure it's not the reason to buying the new Xbox (for example)

Is it one of the many franchises that should've stopped after the third entry? I only played the first two games and thought they were really great, but cannot be arsed about newer entries to be honest.

It feels as if the series has been regressing since the second or third entry. Gears, to me, doesn't feel as if it has had any meaningful evolutions to its core gameplay whatsoever. It feels very safe, like a lot of core Microsoft titles. You know what you're getting with it, which is fine. It works for stuff like Forza or Call of Duty but it's beginning to get a bit long in the tooth for Gears.

I understand 5 has implemented a sort of half-hearted open world approach but it doesn't feel meaningful enough to me.

Gears needs to be put aside for a while now. It just doesn't get me to play more and more when Gears 1-3 did. Now with Rob gone.. What's next!? The Coalition need to brainstorm and come up with a new IP.

This genuinely makes no sense to me, like they might as well all be the same game. Gotta ask what it is about 4 & 5 that won you over?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm torned. I love the franchise, but imo it died after the first three games. I didn't play how 4 and 5 nearly as much as the first three games, and when I think Gears of War, it is the same story.

Gears of War could work again, but I doubt it could with The Coalition. Also Marcus Phoenix were a part of doing the series cool. Replace the characters, and this is what you get.

DonF

Gears 1 was practically a tech demo. Gears 2 and 3 are great games, then it's just same old shit. I haven't played the last one, that looks kinda different but for the sake of being different.

They need to do something really new, not just copy and paste other games mechanics like the pseudo open world that in the end is kinda useless

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Well, they managed to ruin almost everything with Gears 5. There's still hope for the next entry, but TC needs to stay the fuck away from it. And this crap talk about being "ahead of the industry" while shoving disgusting megatransactions down our throat can fuck the right off. TC made me uninstall a Gears game for the first time in 12 years. Congratulations. Heck, it even made me start playing Call of Duty....

Having a middle aged soccer mom as the new face of the most dudebro franchise of all time was a huge mistake.

That would be like replacing Doom guy with a teenage girl.
Isabelle from Animal Crossing already replaced Doom guy in my head canon.

The numbers you posted shows it hasn't really lost anything? The way people talk about how Gears has fallen, I'd have expected much worse numbers than that. Even with GamePass, Gears 4 sold that much? Seems like a success. Gears 5 was great, but because of GamePass, you can't look at sales the same way. I don't think Gears 4 launched on GamePass, correct?

Personally I enjoy them now more than ever. Then again I made it one level into Gears 3 before I got bored and noped out, so that's not really saying much. People compare them to Uncharted and I think the comparison fits in the sense that they used to be fresh but there became too many of them and they were too successful for their own good. Gears and Uncharted because the standard formula for games and it made those franchises themselves get much more stale much quicker than they otherwise would have.

both gear and halo lost some steam yeah.

their next chapters are gonna be crucial for the healt of both sagas.

personally i'm interested in halo 6 but i don't give a fuck about gears6.

The kids these days do not know what Gears is nor do they give a shit, it's tired and outdated.

Same goes for Halo.

JMarcell

I miss Marcus Phoenix as main character since I find him way more charismatic than JD or Kait. Also, the core gameplay and gunplay is basically the same since the first game , with little to no changes.

slade

The first game was a revelation back in 2006. 14 years later, the series has gotten stale. It hasn't moved on from the gameplay basics of its heyday and it has no narrative stuff to cushion the fact that its gameplay has gotten stale.

MS needs to give the series a few years off and then come to it with a new direction.

Top Bottom