• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War is such a tragic series

LordCBH

Gears 5 is pretty good. Gears 4 could be pretty good, but spent too much time fighting robots and the wave defense sections kinda sucked. 1-3 are still the GOAT for me though.

Yeah it's so bad what happened to the games and to the world in these games.
Gears 3 ended perfectly... then 4 opened it again but the fact that president was so stupid .... ugh.
Ad 5 was just trash.
The original trilogy is some of my fav series ever

One of my favorite series of all time. I want to see a Gears Collection with 1, 2, and 3 remade/remastered in a single collection.

Doesn't that exist already?

No, it doesn’t sadly. It is available via Backwards Compat, but there is not a “gears collection”. I want something akin to Master Chief Collection or the Serious Sam Fusion collection, but preferably well made and not abandoned/trash for 7+ years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One of my favorite series of all time. I want to see a Gears Collection with 1, 2, and 3 remade/remastered in a single collection.
For sure !
Just scrap the damned ultimate version and give us a proper 4k60 Gears 1 360 port.
I even dislike the brumak level they added for original games for windows release. it just breaks the pacing of 360 original.. and the ultimate version is just trash somehow.

Last edited:
People like what they like and some don't, facts of life.

What can't be ignored however is how troublesome the Gears series is in, if Gears 4 & 5 were on par with the predecessors, we would be on the cusp of the next iteration, we're not. It doesn't have a clear direction on what the next Gears games should be and this is as due to the fact that the direction Gears 4 & 5 went in just wasn't very good.
What are you talking about? Gears 6 is in development as we speak. Just because we haven't seen a trailer doesn't mean the franchise is shelved or in development hell.

I'm really having trouble getting into Gears of War. Playing 1 and the enemies are bullet sponges even if shot in the head. I'm playing on hardcore and it's the antithesis of fun. I played this game when it first came out and felt the same way. Enemies shred through your defenses like butter, friendly AI is dumb and regularly eschews being under cover, I'm hiding under cover half the time. I really don't get it. It's like they took the Halo formula and made it bad and slow. Even throwing a grenade is slow. It sucks balls. What am I doing wrong?

It's a shame because I love the story, characters, tone, and atmosphere and always have but the game part.

Fuck it. Put it on casual. This is terrible.
The game was always best when played co-op. I never really had much fun with the game when playing solo.

Orbital2060

I'm really having trouble getting into Gears of War. Playing 1 and the enemies are bullet sponges even if shot in the head. I'm playing on hardcore and it's the antithesis of fun. I played this game when it first came out and felt the same way. Enemies shred through your defenses like butter, friendly AI is dumb and regularly eschews being under cover, I'm hiding under cover half the time. I really don't get it. It's like they took the Halo formula and made it bad and slow. Even throwing a grenade is slow. It sucks balls. What am I doing wrong?

It's a shame because I love the story, characters, tone, and atmosphere and always have but the game part.

Fuck it. Put it on casual. This is terrible.
I played through the whole series again before 5 and starting with 1 it was pretty tough getting used to the OG roadie run and movement. TC made 4 and 5 a lot smoother to control.

About the difficulty, Ive only played through Hivebusters on Insane solo and the best ways to deal with enemies are chainsawing or sticking a flash grenade and knife or the bayonet run if you have the right lancer. Firing into enemies is mostly useless since they soak it all up so you need a weapon that does headshots. I dont think the lancer could do headshots in 1 but Im not sure. I remember something about the standard lancer being changed to do headshots or hit critical points for extra damage in Gears 5. So you might need a dedicated weapon that can do headshots in 1.

With Hivebusters I ended up mostly using a standard lancer with chainsaw and JDs lancer to always carry some rocketry. And grenades lots of them.

Gears of War is a game about pressing the button to hide your man behind cover and then scanning for the enemy with your Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller (TM) joystick before shooting the enemy about a million times with no hit reaction. At best there is a minor amount of tactics, like navigating cover in a way that is essentially linear but which makes the mentally defective think they're really clever for figuring it out, but for the most part it's just a tedium simulator for console gamers.

I played it back when it came out and I felt exactly the same way, but I was able to tolerate it because at the time I was impressed by Unreal Engine 3.

I also played 2 and 3 and they sucked too. This series is past its sell-by date and the only people still playing it are the sort of people who would play a game entirely because it has flashy production values.

SteadyEvo

I wonder who pushed for Gears 6? The Coalition or MS?

I agree that the series should’ve ended after 3. 4 was horde mode with robots and 5 added a completely unnecessary open world section that added nothing meaningful and felt out of place.

Really wish MS would quit milking Gears and Halo. It’s ok to try new ideas instead of tarnishing the legacy of well done trilogies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It will be interesting to see what they do next, gears 5 was very good, some gameplay innovation with jack was pretty good and the story was good too. There was plenty of set pieces and combat was fun. The open world segments didn't really add anything to it and I think they need to add more to the gameplay. They should not be worried about offending long term fans, they should do whats best for the game they can add a jump, more agile combat, maybe some stealth and still have that gears feel.
People cry about games all the time, people cried about TLOU2 yet it was still sold amazing and was received very well. And for very gears loyalists theres 5 games for you to play and the critics and most fans want change. I guess its like the god of war fans who prefered the old style god of wars.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

Gears of War ended after the original trilogy was completed.

Halo also ended after the original trilogy was completed.

There are no Terminator movies after Terminator 2.

Prove me wrong.

ok.

51unrof2lpL.jpg
Gears_of_War_4.jpg
s-l400.jpg

1200px-Halo_Reach_%28Standard_with_ESRB%29.png
91T4yYM0eGL._SY445_.jpg
61309415-1.jpg

74139.jpg
7d713e11-e6ca-4c2c-ac10-5370ff3b519d_1.57ae3131322293f5e53c33fc4b6e3fd0.jpeg
6385569_so.jpg

SeraphJan

I think Gears 5 gets way too many hate than it deserved, I really enjoyed that game. But yeah the first 3 game were the best

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This really is one of the most memorable and iconic video game ads I've ever seen.
Yeah I remember that was all over the TV. It was a magical moment.

The trailer for the sequel was good too.

Gears 4 had a trailer that made my mind start thinking it would go to some dark place. It ended up being about a girl and an endless cat and mouse chase.

I wonder if we will ever get that again. It was an easy grab at adults and getting them back into gaming. It had a lot of fans and you could just enjoy it with everyone. I remember discussing the chainsaw Lance with random coworkers. We could just talk about shooting stuff. Talking about stuff now is just reliving better memories of the past.

Maybe they’d do better by not getting our hopes up with a song.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

GoW as a franchise has always failed to convey these tragic moments to me, Undercut by dudebro moments by those characters. Unpopular opinion here I'm sure.

Its still one of my favorite bar none Xbox franchise.

Fredrik

I think Gears 5 gets way too many hate than it deserved, I really enjoyed that game. But yeah the first 3 game were the best
It’s because of the open map and the skif, made it lose the focus and it felt slow, felt like traversing the map of Shadow of the Colossus except during the storm (which was kinda awesome).

The actual action maps were great. And the matriarch, everybody were in full hype mode after that fight calling it the best game in the serie. I really liked the lab under the ice too, absolute top tier art direction and atmosphere, loved that whole area.

Gears 4 is just game direction schizophrenia. Parts of it feels like some weird tower defence game with the robots and constructor gameplay. And what’s the deal with that mech segment? Second half is a proper Gears game. Just way too short. In the end it’s like The Coalition had several teams making the game and a couple of the teams wanted to make a different game.

SeraphJan

It’s because of the open map and the skif, made it lose the focus and it felt slow, felt like traversing the map of Shadow of the Colossus except during the storm (which was kinda awesome).

The actual action maps were great. And the matriarch, everybody were in full hype mode after that fight calling it the best game in the serie. I really liked the lab under the ice too, absolute top tier art direction and atmosphere, loved that whole area.

Gears 4 is just game direction schizophrenia. Parts of it feels like some weird tower defence game with the robots and constructor gameplay. And what’s the deal with that mech segment? Second half is a proper Gears game. Just way too short. In the end it’s like The Coalition had several teams making the game and a couple of the teams wanted to make a different game.
I would also like to add, lore wise Gears 5 is top in the series

Ceadeus

To live.

They were created by experimentation while researching how to cure or make people immune to rustlung(basically miners lung), then relegated to the underground when shit got wild, then it got wild for them in the underground, so they wanted the surface.
Their queen was born with natural immunity to rustlung....which is why she looks human, for all intents and purposes she is.
Her DNA or whatever was implanted in sires which evolved into the locust we know now.

They were engineered to survive, which is how they "survived" Gears 3 ending.

P.S Thats not Earth.
Oh.. Now I look ridiculous !

It's quite a good story

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
All of you shitting on Gears 4 and 5 can kiss my ass. Those games were great. Not revolutionary but a lot of fun. Gears is one of the few franchises MS hasn't completely run into the ground.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah. I can't help but feel much of the hate it gets here is a bit narrow minded.

In terms of game play it's the best game in the franchise, technically very competent even today.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. I need to play through Bioshock 2. Started it but never finished it. Need to play the DLC on Bioshock Infinite.

xrnzaaas

I've lost interest in the main series after playing 4 and reading about 5. I'd love to play Tactics 2 though. The first game was awesome but it just needed more unique content and better replayability. More maps, story missions and side mission types and I'm there day1.

Top Bottom