• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F |OT| BELEEK (PS3/Vita)

yyr

It's really a combination of paying attention to both the clock hand and the approaching coloured note. I'm having a hard time describing it, but it becomes second nature with practice.

I don't pay attention to the clock hand at all; it's too small, and you can't look at other parts of the screen if you're staring at something so tiny.

Instead, I just watch the notes as they get closer to their targets. Kind of like you'd read in DDR, watching the arrows as they approach the step zone. Once you are more familiar with the music, this will become second nature.

Once you start playing songs on Extreme, watching the clock hands will no longer be possible, as you need to be watching all parts of the screen at once.

I assume all the Japan only prequels had different songs? Will there be anyway to play them as DLC or something?

None of the prequels' songs have appeared in the Japanese version. It looks like this version is essentially a carbon copy, so I wouldn't expect them to show up.

However--and this goes for the Vita version of this game as well--all of the prequels are region-free, and as long as you can figure out the menus (online translations exist), you don't need to understand Japanese to play them. I would definitely encourage folks to import Project DIVA 2nd and/or Extend for PSP. Great games, great music!

How is everyone enjoying the game? My copy shipped yesterday. Hoping it will arrive before the UK DD release.

Still waiting on my copy from VG+, it shipped last Thursday or Friday so it shouldn't be much longer. Fortunately I have my Japanese copy to tide me over, controller is already seeing a lot of use :)

Enjolras

Neo Member
No sign of our European download only version being released this week - I'm absolutely gutted. I knew I should have imported it.

Not to mention we've still got no confirmed pricing yet.

Still waiting on my copy from VG+, it shipped last Thursday or Friday so it shouldn't be much longer. Fortunately I have my Japanese copy to tide me over, controller is already seeing a lot of use :)

Yeah, mine is coming from VG+ aswell, only shipped two days ago though.

No sign of our European download only version being released this week - I'm absolutely gutted. I knew I should have imported it.

Not to mention we've still got no confirmed pricing yet.

The European version is being released on the 4th of September.

Kikirin

Picked mine up yesterday and having a blast! I've plugged headphones into my TV for the first time for this. Totally agree that harder difficulties should be available off the bat for more-experienced rhythm gamers.

Not sure if others have mentioned it already (and experts have probably figured it out by now), but a tidbit for people having problems with sequences of rapid button presses - outside of double notes, d-pad inputs count as the corresponding face button. So you can, for example, hit a fast five-in-a-row of X's as X, Down, X, Down, X (or whatever combination you want). Alternating like that can feel awkward for slower stuff, but it helps get you primed to bust it out when you need it.

It used to be even with super saver the stuff I order would ship and arrive in a reasonable amount of time.

Actually, this apparently has only been happening with new games.

In any situation where there isn't enough immediate stock or enough manpower to ship out everything immediately, super saver shipping always gets last priority. Amazon is the largest online retailer in the country, and with the volume of orders they take in now, something had to give.

That said, I've been on Amazon Prime for a couple years now and it has been nothing short of fantastic. Nearly everything I buy, even non-luxuries, comes from Amazon and sometimes I have it in less than 24 hours from the time I check out. My friend, the "head" of our "family", also uses the video service constantly. Worth way more than the fraction of a penny a day they ask for it.

RMI

Banned
Just got my shipment notification from Gamestop. It won't arrive until Tuesday next week. Dammit.

Guess I'll try the psp versions then too if I like this.

just buy Diva 2nd.

I didn't like it at first compared to f, but it's totally worth it and I think it might have a better song list overall even if the videos aren't as nice. If you're up to it, I highly recommend getting Dreamy Theater 2nd on the JP PSN too. It's a nice upgrade.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have this game on Vita already, but felt like I had to show support for Sega actually bringing this out in English. Never thought it would ever happen.

Amazon order still hasn't shipped.
I'm not sure why I continue to order from them. This has been the case for the past several preorders.

My order status says "shipping now." Placed the order yesterday. I guess they didn't get them in stock fast enough.

And yeah, I've had problems with them recently too. It's especially annoying when they promise release-day shipping and the package still comes late. When that does happen, I try to cancel but just go pick the game I want up locally and send it back if it's too late.

yyr

PD Extend is worth a look too, although not everyone loves it...probably because the songlist is smaller and has a lot of repeats from 2nd. But one thing we pretty much all agree on is that the first version is not worth it, when compared to 2nd.

mollipen

Guess I'll try the psp versions then too if I like this.

Project Diva Extend. Far and away the best game in the series. Play it!

A fair review. Nothing to really have a beef about except for this interesting typo:

Hey, well... you know... okay, I have no excuse. (-_-;;) I'm also a little surprised that I'm still the only review on a major site for the game. Or, maybe I'm not surprised.

shidoshi: I still think it bears mentioning in your review that the game does provide a means to not use the analog sticks for the Stars (which is fair if you didn't know about it, I didn't either until very recently): the Star Changer help item, which replaces the Star Killer item on the Vita version, maps the Star notes to use any of the four triggers instead. The item is free to use and there are no penalties for using it aside from your records being marked as having used it. If you are going to list that as the game's only major con, it's only fair that you also address what Sega did for people who are of the same opinion as you about them.

creid

shidoshi: I still think it bears mentioning in your review that the game does provide a means to not use the analog sticks for the Stars (which is fair if you didn't know about it, I didn't either until very recently): the Star Changer help item, which replaces the Star Killer item on the Vita version, maps the Star notes to use any of the four triggers instead. The item is free to use and there are no penalties for using it aside from your records being marked as having used it. If you are going to list that as the game's only major con, it's only fair that you also address what Sega did for people who are of the same opinion as you about them.
He responds to this down in the comments of the review. It's not the sticks that bother him, it's that the Star sections are way too easy.

mollipen

Yeah, just to be clear, using the analog sticks to hit the notes didn't bother me at all. It's the notes themselves, and how—because they're gimmick notes—they exist outside of the normal flow of the game, aren't really very challenging, and dent the natural flow of challenge that is them from the normal notes.

Moving the way to hit them didn't fix my complaint, because my complain was in what they represent in the game, not an issue of accuracy in hitting them (which I never had any problem with).

Jawmuncher

I'm hating the analog sticks for star notes.
Honestly feel screen swipes were better. They should've just mapped stars to R2&L2

Yeah, just to be clear, using the analog sticks to hit the notes didn't bother me at all. It's the notes themselves, and how—because they're gimmick notes—they exist outside of the normal flow of the game, aren't really very challenging, and dent the natural flow of challenge that is them from the normal notes.

Moving the way to hit them didn't fix my complaint, because my complain was in what they represent in the game, not an issue of accuracy in hitting them (which I never had any problem with).

I'm completely failing to see how the Star notes are any more gimmicky than doubles or holds. Heck, the holds are arguably the worse offender in interrupting gameplay flow because you literally can't tell the game engine to give you any other type of input while a hold is active. My only real complaint is that they aren't judged to the same standard as the other notes, something I hope the sequel changes (alongside hoping for increased framerate to match what the Dreamy Theater releases achieved).

Luigi87

Got my copy =D

I just hate having to start on Normal every time I get a new Project Diva title, lol

Edit: Already failed to do what I accomplished in f, which was perfect DYE on Normal in a single go, lol

How is everyone enjoying the game? My copy shipped yesterday. Hoping it will arrive before the UK DD release.

Had some time yesterday after giving up on FFXIV (got home late and wanted to try that first). Of course, loving it so far! Not sure if I'll ever do anything with edit mode...that's way beyond me.

Shizzlee

I got the game today. Not bad. Don't like using the sticks for stars. Seeing the notes is hard at times, but it's fun.

Luigi87

In spite of my previous comment about being forced to go through Normal first, I forgot about the challenge items...
So Mega Survival all the way through! Gotta maximize dem Diva Points.

And as stated, L1/L2/R1/R2 can be used for Star notes as a Help item. However enabling this means you can't use any other item.

zroid

Banned
That brief glimpse of adorable "Hachune" Miku in the tutorial just makes me want Project Mirai more. Friggin region lock.

mollipen

I'm completely failing to see how the Star notes are any more gimmicky than doubles or holds. Heck, the holds are arguably the worse offender in interrupting gameplay flow because you literally can't tell the game engine to give you any other type of input while a hold is active. My only real complaint is that they aren't judged to the same standard as the other notes, something I hope the sequel changes (alongside hoping for increased framerate to match what the Dreamy Theater releases achieved).

Both holds and doubles can be directly inserted into a normal chain of notes, and - at least with doubles - directly add challenge.

With Stars, because they were specifically inserted to incorporate the Vita's touchscreen in some way, from the moment they start until they stop, you can only have stars. You can't mix them into a normal sequence of notes, because going back and forth from the buttons to touchscreen/analog sticks would be a nightmare. There's no challenge to them beyond "hit the note in time", where as the rest of that game is that + mentally keeping up with what notes you're actually supposed to be hitting.

The moment Stars come in, gameplay drops from the potential of eight required inputs to only one - and does so simply so the game can say it's making use of the Vita's touchscreen. (In terms of the origin of the notes.)

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but oh boy does using the Pulse headset make a difference to reaction times (mine, certainly). I've got my calibration set to +22 (LED TV, not sure if that maintains lag comparable to an LCD set) but it feels *just right* with the controller presses. I'm having a blast!
Hatsune_Miku_Caramelldansen_by_Bea_and_Shipo_Team.gif

Iorv3th

Picked mine up yesterday and having a blast! I've plugged headphones into my TV for the first time for this. Totally agree that harder difficulties should be available off the bat for more-experienced rhythm gamers.

Not sure if others have mentioned it already (and experts have probably figured it out by now), but a tidbit for people having problems with sequences of rapid button presses - outside of double notes, d-pad inputs count as the corresponding face button. So you can, for example, hit a fast five-in-a-row of X's as X, Down, X, Down, X (or whatever combination you want). Alternating like that can feel awkward for slower stuff, but it helps get you primed to bust it out when you need it.

Ahh thanks. I was doing that with the stars using both sticks to flick but didn't think about alternating for button sequences.

I got mine last night at gamestop, only copy they had though. May be tough to find doesn't seem like many got shipped out?

Both holds and doubles can be directly inserted into a normal chain of notes, and - at least with doubles - directly add challenge.

With Stars, because they were specifically inserted to incorporate the Vita's touchscreen in some way, from the moment they start until they stop, you can only have stars. You can't mix them into a normal sequence of notes, because going back and forth from the buttons to touchscreen/analog sticks would be a nightmare. There's no challenge to them beyond "hit the note in time", where as the rest of that game is that + mentally keeping up with what notes you're actually supposed to be hitting.

The moment Stars come in, gameplay drops from the potential of eight required inputs to only one - and does so simply so the game can say it's making use of the Vita's touchscreen. (In terms of the origin of the notes.)

That isn't an engine limitation, and there are songs that make you rapidly switch from star directly to another input without a gap (Rin-chan Now! Extreme with its star-star-double patterns comes to mind). Sure, it's a fault of how the charts were written, but I fully expect to see Star inputs integrated further with the upcoming sequel.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
That isn't an engine limitation, and there are songs that make you rapidly switch from star directly to another input without a gap (Rin-chan Now! Extreme with its star-star-double patterns comes to mind).
Yes, that's right. Some of the songs on Extreme difficulty do throw in stars in-between the regular song pattern, like Rin-Chan Now!

Busaiku

Making my way through Hard, but some of these still seem like an impossibility.
And then everything in Extreme is significantly harder too, even Ashes to Ashes, which only has 7 Stars, is much harder than the 7.5 Star songs in Hard.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll pick up my preorder tomorrow. Are the "notes" the exact same as the Vita version? Just curious. Doesn't matter too much since I didn't complete everything on my VIta version way back.

I'll pick up my preorder tomorrow. Are the "notes" the exact same as the Vita version? Just curious. Doesn't matter too much since I didn't complete everything on my VIta version way back.

Same charts and everything, yes. Only difference is the oft-villified Star notes are on analog sticks now.

Top Bottom