• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has IGN become the best mainstream online gaming outlet?

Fatmanp

The vast majority of popular gaming content is personallity driven. The vast majority of mainstream site employees who had one and realised this split off and did their own thing. Kinda Funny is the prime example of this for IGN. I dont feel Gamespot ever had anyone like a Greg Miller outside of Danny O Dwyer who left them after the whole Jeff Gertsmann blowup years ago. Game Informer is still good but MinnMax is a branch of that. EZA is the old Gametrailers of which the primary personallities are no longer a part of. Giant Bomb has fractured off into multiple entities.

I think the main issue is that none of the big sites have developed a face of the brand in a decade. The last personi can think of who even came remotely close to that was Alanah Pearce.

Just looking at my podcast subs and its evident that the big names who 10-15 years ago who would have been attractions at these sites are all independent

Greg Miller with KF
Colin Moriarty with LSM
Jeff Gertsmann with TJGS
Alex, Brad and Vinny with Nextlander
Skillup with FPS
ACG is solo
Maximilian Dood with Triple KO

Shut0wen

Alot of people shilling on the hate ign meme, tbf they do decent reviews from time to time while also having a rare few shit ones, problem with ign though is they consently hire freelancers, plus they seem more obsessed with movies then video games

soulbait

I used to go to IGN every day for gaming news. I went their sites, before it was IGN and it was N64.com and ign64.com. I was an early listener to their podcasts as well. Every day when I would log onto my computer, they were the first website I would go to. Then they started to go to a video first approach and also cover a lot more than gaming. I began to lose interest. I think this was 8-10 years ago or so. I will still go to the site from time to time for reviews, but I am no longer a daily visitor.

fart town usa

Gold Member
IGN was entertaining back in the day but I can't be bothered with them now. Same applies with 99.9% of legacy outlets.

I watch Newswave via Spawnwave sometimes because it's nice to get a quick update on current happenings. Digital Foundry too, not sure why some people here dislike them, I think they're hilarious and their assessments are interesting, I don't take it as console war stuff. If anything they are doing a huge service for developers QA and they always seem to be professional/mindful with how they report issues. I mean shit, Richard has been in the gaming editorial world since the early 90s, maybe longer. He's the elder statesman of gaming tech analysis.

SkylineRKR

I think they're all trash. I watch basically nothing. I just look at some random lets plays, prefer without voice over, and then see how the game is. IGN i sometimes hit after searching and idk, its redirecting to a bad regional version but not only that, its filled with fucking MCU shit.

For me it was kind of over when GameTrailers folded. Easy Allies surfaced and was good for a while but they kind of sided with woke and cancel culture I think. They claim to be independent, yet they didn't review Hogwarts or am I wrong? Good that it helps jack shit. The game seems to sell a ton.

Top Bottom