• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has IGN become the best mainstream online gaming outlet?

tr1p1ex

Too many gaming sites went to the "non-gaming" topic and content. Big turnoff. And well everyone I followed on gaming sites pretty much has left. WArning: interest level approaching zero.

Last edited:
Too many gaming sites went to the "non-gaming" topic and content. Big turnoff. And well everyone I followed on gaming sites pretty much has left. WArning: interest level approaching zero.
That was one of my objections too, just focus on gaming and not on becoming multimedia websites. One of the reasons why IGN has put me off somewhat, same with Gamespot who have been imitating their style.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I watch their TV station whenever I turn my SamsungTV on for something random. It’s actually great to have. I watched some TLoU TV analysis, some game reviews, and their console developer discussions.

I watch their TV station whenever I turn my SamsungTV on for something random. It’s actually great to have. I watched some TLoU TV analysis, some game reviews, and their console developer discussions.

Might have to try this. There's so many channels on that Samsung TV thingy.

IGN is solid in terms of production quality and output, whenever I need a hand in a game it's IGN walkthroughs to the rescue.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Might have to try this. There's so many channels on that Samsung TV thingy.

IGN is solid in terms of production quality and output, whenever I need a hand in a game it's IGN walkthroughs to the rescue.
It’s great to have on while you’re doing other stuff or just need something to chill out to. Channel 1351 for SamsungTV.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They have had this access to Hollywood and diversified but that doesn't make them the go to at all for me.

I used them a lot more 20 years ago. I haven't visited them for my gaming needs in 10-15 years. They aren't an authority and have some degree of woke tendencies as well. There are far better sources out there on Youtube that aren't some conglomerate.

Portugeezer

They run ads on their youtube for trailers (other gaming sites don't seem to do this)... fucking trailers, which are fucking ads already...

Therefore dogshit.

Only good thing from them is Gamescoop.

Last edited:
Funny enough, I’m more a fan now than years back. I used to be a Gamefaqs and Gamespot fan (until the Gertsmann incident) but in the last few years since the Switch release, IGN has improved a lot. There are some problems still, but I think the content has been really good. Reviews are as good as they’ve ever been, though you need to come at them from the angle that the reviewer is usually a fan of the game/series.

I think the NVC crew has been great in particular, that’s a great fun show and it does have good discussion and coverage of news. I can’t say as much for Beyond (and I don’t even know what the Xbox content is like, nor do I care) but people seem to enjoy it. That’s where I think the best info is, and the occasional preview.

Compared to all the other big publications, I don’t really see where the competition is any better.

CZY

I binge-watch the shit out of reviews sometimes (if I’m interested in something I might watch literally all the reviews on it), and yeah I gotta say IGN’s offerings tend to come off as professional and to-the-point as anyone else’s. They’re not my go-to and I don’t weigh them any higher than anyone else’s, but they tend to be good reviews not written by an idiot. That’s my two cents anyway.

ybfelix

Neo Member
Whatever happened to Gamespot over the years anyway? When I was a kid their website felt exciting with a variety of columns and sections, opinion pieces. Nowadays it's run-of-mill waterfall grid layout, full of gaming "news" that doesn't warrant a read

Rykan

IGN? The same publisher that standardized giving 8's and 9's to every single game to keep "Video game journalism" outlets and publisher relations on mutual beneficial terms? The same Publisher that just pumps out another "top 10 list" whenever they need a quick boost?

The same VIDEO GAME website where I first need to scrolls through a bunch of news articles about fucking Marvel and Star Wars Trash before I actually get to the video games part?

They aren't the best. They are everything that's wrong with video game outlets.

Last edited:

JimboJones

The last time I used to visit them regularly was when Matt Casamassina still worked there.
I think it was around when YouTube started to gain traction but IGN insisted on using their own shit media streaming player which put me off their site as a destination for video content, I guess they eventually decided to use YouTube but it was too late for me to care about them.

I find myself more and more ending up on IGN more than ever via google searches, or a youtube video these days and come to realise it's actually not half bad......It used to be in my list of not clicking through but now even if I try to avoid it, it seems like there's something relevant on there.

On youtube their bitesize videos (between 8-10 minutes) always seem to hit the core points with stuff I want to do
Their partnership with things like mapgenie are a godsend for completionists
Obviously their forums are not as good as GAF
The walkthroughs when they exist are solid as are the wiki's
IGN playlist looks like something I would have used but now just don't have the time
The front page is largely free of the latest identity politics furore (obviously the site is not completely free of it but fair play)
The discover section has actually put a couple of games on my radar
I can't help but notice everyone giving you shit in this thread generally isn't mentioning a mainstream gaming website that they think is better, which just might be proving you right.

Hugare

To me its easily Game Informer

They usually have a lot of interesting interviews and exclusive coverage, and their reviews are much better written than IGN's most of the time

And yes, they covered Hogwarts Legacy, btw (gave it a 9)

IGN looks too much like a sponsored advertisement most of the time. And they have idiots such as Ryan Mccaffrey there.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I used to frequent there much more often because it was just one of the first sites I found to give me the news I wanted after video game magazines.

When I started playing Final Fantasy 14 I somehow stumbled upon Dualshockers and at the time I was blown away by the coverage there especially since I don’t think I had seen anything on the big sites about it at the time.

That’s when I realized just because it was a “big game site” that maybe there were alternatives and places where I could find better coverage for the kind of games I liked elsewhere.

There is a particular poster here that covered news and Dualshockers introduced me to a lot of stuff I didn’t know was out there, but I wouldn’t have ever guessed it reading their opinions here.

Last edited:

Barakov

9ZpvoOR.gif
Still relevant to this day.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back in the day, IGN, GS, Gametrailers etc… were awesome.

Not sure exactly when it happened but when metacritic summaries and YouTubers posting gameplay and tips became prevalent I don’t even bother with game sites anymore unless someone gaf posts a good article to read.

I’d rather watch gamers playing COD or doing bullet spread tests shooting against a wall than read typical game site fluff pieces you can tell their ad revenue depends on sugar coating it.

Last edited:
I rarely visit the site so much anymore, but I still subscribe to their Youtube channel which is good to see gameplay footage, previews / reviews, etc.
This. IGN YouTube has evolved to basically what Gametrailers used to be in the early 2000s. Tons of trailers for new stuff, no commentary gameplay footage and showcases, and dev diaries, all posted at different times of each day nearly 7 days a week.

I haven’t been to their website but their YouTube page is great.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They're ok, I like their game scoop podcast and their video stuff is decent. But the tv/movie coverage is pretty bad and it's probably >50% of the website at this point. The amount of butthurt they had over batgirl being canceled was absolutely baffling.

Bragr

Banned
The problem with IGN is that they have different websites depending on the country, the shitty Scandinavian site I get redirected to only carries half the news of the US site.

What a fuck is that about? what a hell is even the thought behind that?

Most gaming sites feel incomplete, either they don't use up-to-date release schedules, they barely do reviews, or they miss half of the news. You need to visit so many different places to keep up to date.

This. IGN YouTube has evolved to basically what Gametrailers used to be in the early 2000s. Tons of trailers for new stuff, no commentary gameplay footage and showcases, and dev diaries, all posted at different times of each day nearly 7 days a week.

I haven’t been to their website but their YouTube page is great.
I went to their page to see for myself. Would have subscribed if it wasn't for all the movie content. Oh well.

I went to their page to see for myself. Would have subscribed if it wasn't for all the movie content. Oh well.
GT did the same thing too back then. Movies are just part of their feed. But honestly it doesn’t bother me because if you want only gaming vids they have a playlist for that.

GeNoMe

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But, no. IGN is just a huge advert. I get put off by their noisy and over the top coverage. Gematsu and Push Square for example are of much higher quality.

Laptop1991

Their reputation from the past precedes them and all the online gaming magazine sites, especially the biased reviews based on various agenda's,

i use youtube reviewers now that i trust after watching them for a while, so I don't trust mainstream gaming media now, so it doesn't matter if they give an honest review, I won't see it anymore.

kyussman

No idea,I've no interest in mainstream games media any more......lots of independent sources with great quality stuff to view.

Top Bottom