• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has IGN become the best mainstream online gaming outlet?

cormack12

Gold Member
I find myself more and more ending up on IGN more than ever via google searches, or a youtube video these days and come to realise it's actually not half bad......It used to be in my list of not clicking through but now even if I try to avoid it, it seems like there's something relevant on there.

On youtube their bitesize videos (between 8-10 minutes) always seem to hit the core points with stuff I want to do
Their partnership with things like mapgenie are a godsend for completionists
Obviously their forums are not as good as GAF
The walkthroughs when they exist are solid as are the wiki's
IGN playlist looks like something I would have used but now just don't have the time
The front page is largely free of the latest identity politics furore (obviously the site is not completely free of it but fair play)
The discover section has actually put a couple of games on my radar

It's the best place to do console war shit talk if you're staying off twitter. That's about it. They're terrible at informing gamers about much of anything.
They don't tell you when most betas/demos are available. They review like 2 VR games a year and lack all VR credibility.
They're slow and really selective with news. They're also very inconsistent on when they'll report on rumors and when they won't. etc.

Kvally

Banned
IGN?

The Last Of Us Laughing GIF by PlayStation

Dynasty8

I look at it based on integrity, relevance, and how unbiased they are

IGN gave Hogwarts a fair and unbiased review. Other outlets such as Gamespot did not and were too scared to even reveal who reviewed the game ("Gamespot Staff"). I would say it all boils down to the staff. The less activists within an outlet, the better. I wanna read about gaming, not about how someone discovered their sexuality through FFX or other nonsense.

MadPanda

Banned
When I need a walkthrough I usually end up on IGN. If I want a short opinion on a game, to see what's it's like I'd watch ign. For something more complex, I watch acg, visit gaf, reddit etc. I don't visit them regularly as they focus on broad media which I have no interest in.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
What? 😱

Most of the time, IGN covers news about games that aren't the usual AAA only when they can pressure the developers to give them an exclusive, and then they completely forget they exist.

If you're overly interested in Fortnite, I supposed you may enjoy them, otherwise, nah.

cormack12

Gold Member
Lots of people just dropping the contrary take. But what are the others? Where do you go that isn't IGN (or community based)?

PCgN is OK too to be fair

Kacho

The best compared to GameSpot, Kotaku, Eurogamer and the like? Maybe. I couldn't say because I don't consume any of that crap. They feel antiquated in the age of YouTube content creators.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm a Push Square type of dude. Have no inclinations towards their political leanings one way or the other, which probably is a good sign.

Otherwise, GAF and Era (lolol) are usually all I need to keep up to date with gaming news. It's cool, too, because you always get the normal take and the copium take of the same piece of news.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Their website default to the region one which is atrocious as translation is bad, content is not the same and it is a mess. Recently the only time I visit their website is by mistake.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Biggest? Yes. Best? Eh....they are fine. They have some good writers and some truly terrible ones. As a major horror fan, and a gaming fan...They gave like a 5 to Alien Isolation but when the game caught traction, they spent weeks plugging it with let's plays and all. When RE7 came out they were one of the outliers with a 7.7 score and now when they make a list of best RE games, 7 is near the top. When Doom came out they kinda savaged it, and later in the weekly videos the hosts were "We'll it's only one person's opinion and we don't agree with it lololol".

IMO, an editorial site should have a consensus of all the creatives behind the articles because reviews are kind of important (look at what happened to the poor dev team of the amazing New Vegas who didn't get a bonus because of an arbitrary review score).

AmuroChan

Not for me. Haven't followed IGN in a long time. I used to love listening to Podcast Beyond during its golden years, but overall their content has been in decline for some time now. There are very few, if any personalities left at IGN, whose opinions I actually care about.

The best mainstream outlet? Yes. Probably even an objectively yes. I just can't think of any other site that's as big and comprehensive as they are. They can cover way, way more subjects that smaller sites are going to struggle with. As usual enjoyment of that content is going to be subjective to each user.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Definitely not. Too much pop culture in their site. Horrid front page layout, with every redesign managing to be worse than before. Intrusive auto playing video ads. Some of the videos on their YouTube channel are straight ripoffs from trailers from somewhere else.

I mean, i enjoy their Nintendo podcast, but i can't really be bothered to visit their website ever again.

MiguelItUp

It's still "one of the most popular", but that's not saying much IMO. I'll look at their special previews from time to time because I have no choice. But I really couldn't careless about their "content" otherwise, honestly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I do check it sometimes. Its not that bad. Sometimes the reviews are spot on as well. I like the owner, isn't he the European accent guy that was on the Nintendo podcast? He's not bad.

Of the big sites it's clearly the best but of all of them, not so much.

I mainly use the website for their forums.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I find myself more and more ending up on IGN more than ever via google searches, or a youtube video these days and come to realise it's actually not half bad......It used to be in my list of not clicking through but now even if I try to avoid it, it seems like there's something relevant on there.

On youtube their bitesize videos (between 8-10 minutes) always seem to hit the core points with stuff I want to do
Their partnership with things like mapgenie are a godsend for completionists
Obviously their forums are not as good as GAF
The walkthroughs when they exist are solid as are the wiki's
IGN playlist looks like something I would have used but now just don't have the time
The front page is largely free of the latest identity politics furore (obviously the site is not completely free of it but fair play)
The discover section has actually put a couple of games on my radar
Yeah they're useful for discovery actually. Tons of indie games and other less well known titles get their spot in the limelight up on their Youtube channel. Something I very much appreciate.

Not too sure about their own content though but otherwise they're a good source for gaming related news also, even just by title or thumbnail heh.

The term "mainstream" gaming outlet is kind of obsolete in 2023 when basically only GAF and Resetera even are aware they exist. People younger than 40 probably never heard of IGN. Their gaming info comes from Discord, Twitter, Twitch, Youtube, TikTok.

Quasicat

I got off of anything IGN years ago when gay rights was mentioned in almost every podcast. I’m all for whatever people want to do, but don’t want to hear about it when I’m relaxing and listening to a gaming podcast. It was mainly Brian Altano that brought it up during the Nintendo podcast, so I was out. If it has improved in this area, I’m willing to give it another shot.

Metnut

Always have been IMO. I completely ignore any of their videos or non-gaming news. And LOL at actually listening to a gaming podcast.

They tend to write detailed reviews with effort and when I’m stumped and want a quick answer, more often the not, an IGN walkthrough is most helpful.

Last edited:

Banned
yes, but nowadays that's not a high bar to pass.

200w.gif

just replaced Honey Boo Boo with Polygon in that gif 🤣

Last edited:
Considering their output yes, they are always on top and with the newest trailer uploads and what not. But I dont follow them. They spoil everything. Wanna watch a new show? Dont worry IGN will show you clickbait spoiler shit for it. Wanna discover and play a game? Dont worry IGN will tell you all about the secrets you wanna try before playing shit. For me, its shit but for every generic gamer out there which are the majority, its pretty good. Gamers these days have 0 patience, they cant discover shit on their own. I can guarantee you 85% of people who played ER prolly googled shit.

Top Bottom