• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has gaming ever got you through a hard time?

Athreous

Its helping me right now tbh.

As much as I hate the combat of FF7R, it's helping with my anxiety during this pandemic. Lol
Hey, but the combat is good! Come here, have a hug! (let's pretent there's no covid :D)

Last edited:

Unity2012

Many times. Gaming has helped me take my focus away from a bad situation; avoid a negative compulsion reaction ;and to just know that I have that safe space, where I can have fun and take a break from the grind when needed.

Gaming's been with me through good and bad times.
Believe it or not, video games (along with the internet) has enlightened me in ways that I know would not be possible if I lived without it. So, in a way, I have video games to thank for making me a better human being.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... yes. Countless times. Often no better way to take your mind off things. I find games are a perfect mixture of passive and active entertainment to let you just get lost in them when you don't want to be thinking about something else and it's something I can't replicate with more passive stuff like TV/movies or more active stuff like reading novels.

Gaming has got to me though really hard times. The only problem was that I was evading them and they came as hard as SL1 Dark Souls when I stopped gaming.

ShinNL

I'm not sure. I got quite addicted to Diablo II: Lord of Destruction and while it was my saving grace in my younger days to have something to look forward to, it also ended up being the reason why I skipped school, failing grades and be less social. It kept me both alive and in hindsight, was also the an enabler for not doing so well in life.

I remember a time when things were really bad and all I could think of the time.... "Ah, such a shame I won't to get to play Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper on the GBA". Of all things I would miss in the 'future', that was the only thing I was regretting.

Well, things turned out pretty decent. Today I have a Game Boy Micro with SFA3u, have great friends and a good job. Also, while being addicted to a game at a young age might be bad, I'm pretty sure I would've turned to anything to get addicted to. In hind-hindsight, being addicted to a game was one of the safest addictions. I eliminated the cause of my unhappiness and have been great ever since. Grew up in a depressing household and basically cut all form of contact over a decade ago.

Have a good relationship with games nowadays, though I do end up buying more games than I can actually play. Consider them more like exotic paintings, some games I just want to own.

If you ever meet kids, make sure you notice if they use games as entertainment or as escapism. If you suspect the latter, just try to help them and not blame the media. Games are harmless, but their surroundings might not be.

My grandfather passed away in April and I was very close to him. I felt emotions that I never felt before but I felt very lost and felt that I didn't have much further purpose in live so I didn't do much apart from feeling sorry for myself. A friend of mine gave me his old gaming PC so I upgrade it further to how I want it. I was mostly playing Postal 2 and that made me felt better. Not because of the over the top violence but the humour side of it. I felt like myself again after that. Not the most inspiring story but I'd share anyway.

Top Bottom