• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were in charge of Machine Games, would you even make Wolfenstein III?

Bragr

Banned
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus remains one of the more divisive shooters out there, it's a game that, after finishing, it, I still couldn't figure out if I was supposed to run and gun or use stealth. I thought the gameplay was a bit strange, a mashup of different playstyles, but the production quality is through the roof, and it got style and some of the craziest twists and turns ever in any game.

I'm not exactly sure what it sold, but I am pretty sure it was a flop.

Youngblood, the spin-off, definitely flopped, hard.

Machine Games is working on its anticipated Indiana Jones game. However, they are rumored to be working on another title as well, and there was talk of a Wolfenstein trilogy some years ago, so let's assume the second project is Wolfenstein III.

If you were the head of Machine Games, would you even make Wolfenstein III? from a financial perspective, is there something to gain here or would you be better off working on something different alongside Indiana Jones? what could you possibly do to entice sales, multiplayer?

Machine Games need to take a step back and sort out a few key things before making another FPS.

They need to implement a proper hit feedback system because it’s really difficult to tell when you’re being hit or how much health you have left. Players should be able to get a rough idea without having to look at the number in the bottom left of the screen. This made Wolfenstein more difficult than it needed to be in my opinion. Otherwise the games are great and I want another full entry.

CGNoire

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus remains one of the more divisive shooters out there, it's a game that, after finishing, it, I still couldn't figure out if I was supposed to run and gun or use stealth. I thought the gameplay was a bit strange, a mashup of different playstyles, but the production quality is through the roof, and it got style and some of the craziest twists and turns ever in any game.

Youngblood, the spin-off, definitely flopped, hard.

Machine Games is working on its anticipated Indiana Jones game. However, they are rumored to be working on another title as well, and there was talk of a Wolfenstein trilogy some years ago, so let's assume the second project is Wolfenstein III.

If you were the head of Machine Games, would you even make Wolfenstein III? from a financial perspective, is there something to gain here or would you be better off working on something different alongside Indiana Jones? what could you possibly do to entice sales, multiplayer?
I dont know about finacial perpective but Ive allways liked the design or maybe just the idea of fighting MechaHitler and really badly want to see if done in that Diesal Punk style there using. Although I thought 2 was a step down from 1.

CGNoire

Machine Games need to take a step back and sort out a few key things before making another FPS.

They need to implement a proper hit feedback system because it’s really difficult to tell when you’re being hit or how much health you have left. Players should be able to get a rough idea without having to look at the number in the bottom left of the screen. This made Wolfenstein more difficult than it needed to be in my opinion. Otherwise the games are great and I want another full entry.
I totally forgot hkw annoying that shit was.

Roberts

I was actually surprised to see how many people disliked/had issues with The New Colossus. While I really liked the first one (I recently replayed it and it more or less holds up), the second one improves on it in pretty much every way. I'm not sure a lot of people would ever expect Wolfenstein to have dramatically rich storytelling, but here we are playing a game with a doomed beefcake going through a somewhat low-key existential crisis and it fucking works. Even the tonal shifts work and those are super hard to pull off - it can go from tragic to wacky comedy in a heartbeat. Gameplay is great too and I played it on Xbox One X where it dropped framerates to mid 40's.

Youngblood, while not a total disaster, was so-so, but it wasn't really made by MG, wasn't it?

But, yeah, I think there is still a story to tell and would totally swallow up W3: The Final Demise of William "B.J." Blazkowicz.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Doom x Wolfenstein crossover when?

doom 3 GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hope so, first two were fantastic and felt like bona fide PC shooters. The pulpy plot in TNC was wild.

One more would be great and then move on before somebody else reboots Wolfenstein in 2030.

Bragr

Banned
My point is not "do you want a new one", but rather how can they make this commercially successful, because The New Colussus and Young Blood were not, why would you greenlight a third when the commercial prospects are bleak?

Dazraell

I would rather like to have a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein
The Old Blood is sorts of a remake / reimagining of first two levels of RtCW, but much expanded and integrated into their Wolfenstein timeline. Unless they would do a complete reboot I wouldn't expect them doing it again

Kupfer

I have enjoyed all 3 (4) parts of the new Wolfenstein saga.
In fact, I enjoyed The New Order so much that I went platinum. The Old Blood was solid, The new Colossus took some time getting used to it but was still fun. The completely over-the-top narrative the good technical implementation and the gunplay were pretty nice. What bothered me a bit was the HUB and the individual missions, I would have found it better to follow a real story with progressing setpieces.
Even Young Blood was pretty funny for what it was. I probably would have left it alone, but a buddy came over with his PS4 and we played it side by side.

I would love to see a third part with the strengths of the first game (storytelling) and the technical finesse of the second game. However, the universe doesn't allow for much since, as far as I remember, we've already killed all the major nazis.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

After the first two games, which were wonderful, w2 was a no-brainer.

W2 sucked though. Both story and flow.

So w3 is a huge question mark.

I think no.

Dazraell

I think a third game is much warranted, but they really need to examine what worked with The New Order and what mistakes they made with The New Colossus as their trajectory with these games went lower with each entry

I'm also not sure if Youngblood is considered as canon as it does set up some ideas that theoretically could work for a third game, making the premise even more over the top that it already was

Drizzlehell

Banned
Idk what they were smoking while making Wolfenstein II but holy shit, was it such a disappointment when I first played it. Kinda crazy that after two excellent games they went on and made such a clusterfuck of bad ideas. I played through New order and Old Blood so many times and platinumed both games but New Colossus was such a mixed bag that I never bothered to replay it after finishing it once. There was some good shit in it, but for the most part it was a miserable experience due to over reliance on enemy commanders, frustrating combat, some truly awful level design, and completely bonkers and tonally inconsistent story that was just laughably stupid, even for this series' typical levels of absurdity.

Honestly, I had more fun playing through Youngblood because at least I could play that one with my brother. And even though I resent the fact that they tried to make it into a co-op looter shooter or whatever, at least the combat was tweaked enough to be more enjoyable overall, and the level design was definitely of higher quality. You can definitely tell that Arkane had a hand in creating those levels because they're just more enjoyable to navigate and you can even see some of Dishonored's visual style bleeding through for some of those open street areas. It was just fun blasting Nazis again, which is an experience that Wolfenstein II should've provided in the first place.

Last edited:

kyussman

The New Order/The Old Blood were great.....The New Colossus was a bit of a mess with a tacked on system for repeating levels because there wasn't enough of the main game to play.I guess that was probably a result of being a sequel and being on a timer for when it needed to release.If they take their time then I've no doubt they could make a third game just as good as The New Order.

samoilaaa

as long as it wont have annoying characters such as

or dumb lines like this

just bring back the old style of wolfenstien and it will be good

anthony2690

Banned
I really liked Wolfenstein the new order, the new colossos not so much.

Young blood was not good, it reminded me off bill and Ted's kids in the terrible third movie.

Roberts

as long as it wont have annoying characters such as

or dumb lines like this

just bring back the old style of wolfenstien and it will be good

This is actually why I love the storytelling in the second one. It is super self-aware but does everything with a straight face. And I like weird and crazy so win-win.

Ozriel

M$FT

Game’s around 87-88% on Metacritic. Considered excellent by critics. Why is this ‘divisive’ just because you had issues with it?

winjer

Gold Member
Young Blood probably killed the franchise for the foreseeable future.
Maybe a decade from now, some studio will revive the franchise with a new formula.

Shut0wen

As long 3rd game takes more gameplay inspiration from there first game then the 2nd, first game was a proper starbreeze game then the 2nd went full on cod with dull map design

No. If I was the head of Machine Games, I would approach Valve to make Half-Life 3 for them.

Roberts

Game’s around 87-88% on Metacritic. Considered excellent by critics. Why is this ‘divisive’ just because you had issues with it?
Yeah, but I have noticed that majority of people are negative towards it here on Neogaf every time it gets mentioned. Bad gameplay, too woke, and so on. I don't really see it myself, but maybe I need to replay it.

Also, no matter what everbody says, the birthday party is one of the most fun cutscenes in videogame ever.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I didn't mind the wokeness, but even then the sequel felt somewhat worse than the first game. Too short maybe? And that ending was abrubt, I remember beating the final stage and thinking, "that's it?".
Between that and how Young Blood came out to be, I think they should put their shit together before developing a new game.

Yeah, but I have noticed that majority of people are negative towards it here on Neogaf every time it gets mentioned. Bad gameplay, too woke, and so on. I don't really see it myself, but maybe I need to replay it.

Also, no matter what everbody says, the birthday party is one of the most fun cutscenes in videogame ever.

I thought Wolf 2 was still good. Better story than most games with some genuinely funny moments. I didn't find it super woke or anything like that.

Dazraell

Quite often people cited really bad level design as one of the main things that made it much inferior experience

The New Order had locations that felt like something that was complementing the story and BJ's journey, had plenty of secrets and had this good approach to give you various opportunities to play with stealth and gun blazing. The huge variety of setpieces and various little moments with scripted events made each level really unique and memorable

The New Colossus had a lot of environments that felt very lifeless and generic, they didn't really complemented the story in any way. They felt very repetitive. This distinctive approach to each level that TNO had was mostly gone, their design often didn't gave you as much freedom in playstyle and gameplay loop wasn't constantly pushed by introducing little things making it a memorable experience. This whole approach resulted in a good, but still disappointing experience which was often echoed in a lot of reviews and opinions

T4keD0wN

Who says that their indiana jones game isnt just going to be a wolfenstein game with more puzzles and a whip?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Machinegun Game’s nails gunplay, and their games run beautifully.

While I didn’t like Wolf Colossus much, it wasn’t because of the action. I’m all for them continuing with the franchise. NWO and Old Blood were great.

I liked The New Order and Old Blood, but New Colossus didn’t click with me. There were too many cutscenes and I didn’t find the comedy funny at all. Shelved it halfway through because I just wanted to play a boomer shooter but got tired of sitting through the cutscenes and cringe writing.

The new DOOM games are significantly superior, just fun gameplay uninterrupted.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I'd be interested to see what they could come up new IP-wise. Also interested to see what they do under MS.

Youngblood was (reportedly) pretty awful and was apparently rushed to launch to beat the MS acquisition. Wolfenstein 3 has been in development for a bit, even before MS acquisition.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yes. It's a Bethesda/MS IP which means it's going to Game Pass Day One and your profit floor is much higher than if it were a traditional retail game only. It being in a legendary IP is going to get it heavily featured and It's an IP that doesn't require being the flashiest most bleeding piece of software so it doesnt need to be expensive. It's an incredibly low risk proposition.

Killer8

The New Order was brilliant and still one of my favorite FPS games of all time. Old Blood was a pretty solid expansion. The rest of the series that they made (New Colossus, Youngblood, the VR game) I could take or leave. It's a weird series in that they've actually put quite a lot of content for it yet it doesn't feel like it's lived up to its potential. I'd be happy with another mainline game in it.

AndrewRyan

Going agains the trend here but ever been a huge fan of the Wolfenstein series however loved New Colossus because it feels so smooth and gun mechanics so sharp. Feels quite different than the previous titles and much better and more modern.

Top Bottom