• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Amiga stood the test of time?

To be honest, i reckon if it were not for the load times, i think even people new to the hardware would appreciate a lot of the game on the Amiga.

Though i have a fondness for the machine, i often go looking for new titles that i had missed. I don't think that's strictly just an Amiga related curosity, but one for experiencing older titles. Which is something most people can get behind. I think it's stood the test of time, i just think the multiple configurations could be a hurdle most don't want to deal with.

CobraAB

My favorite computer of all time.

I have had the following at one time or another:

- Atari 800
- Atari 1040ST
- Commodore Amiga 500
- Commodore Amiga 2000
- Many PC systems (most custom built)
- A number of Apple Mac (iMac, PowerMac, MacBook, Mac mini)

But really, the Amiga was it for me.

Fnord

I don't think it stood the test of time when it was alive!

My memory was of a very few great games and A LOT of Atari ST ports.

Constantly waiting to see if the developers had written some new code or just ported over some ST code to run at half the speed and then crash.

If you were lucky you got a new soundtrack but most of the time you were left with a rubbish game, that annoyingly played much better on the cheaper machine.
I spent most of my time on Deluxe Paint.

The ST port issue really was only at the beginnings of the Amiga's life and didn't last all that long. Eventually, the reverse occurred and the ST was getting ports of Amiga games.

tassletine

The ST port issue really was only at the beginnings of the Amiga's life and didn't last all that long. Eventually, the reverse occurred and the ST was getting ports of Amiga games.

That's being very generous. It was readily apparent that Amiga games were compromised by the ST. The proof of this is that there are almost no great native AMIGA games.
They're almost all ports or conversions and the ST and AMIGA share a big library of titles.

Whilst The Amiga was definitely the best machine, the fact that it has so few original titles, multi disk loads, and a lot of ports means that I don't remember it fondly at all.
My last memory of it was having all my Dpaint files corrupted by the disk drive so that doesn't help.

Thanks to WHDLoad that's not an issue anymore these days. Almost every game is HD-installable now and has next to no load times.

Though i agree to some extent, the amount of people that would actualy bother to go through the process is fairly small. Most people i know that have no experience with the machines are turned off by WinUAE alone, nevermind bothering with WHLoad. At that rate, people would probably resort to Dosbox or just play a console version of the same game.

Though i agree to some extent, the amount of people that would actualy bother to go through the process is fairly small. Most people i know that have no experience with the machines are turned off by WinUAE alone, nevermind bothering with WHLoad. At that rate, people would probably resort to Dosbox or just play a console version of the same game.
They should give FS-UAE a try then. I've read that can run single WHDLoad-game packages (which are easily obtainable) just like a disk image without you having to setup a hard disk.

But it's a hassle with WINUAE and mobile UAEs. That's why a couple of people have recently made single HDFs (harddisk images) for most games that can also be used by these emulators easily.
These HDFs are basically the equivalent to console "ROMs" usability-wise. Plug and play and no disk swapping.

Last edited:
I have seen people providing stand alone executables for Rick Dangerous etc. Which is a neat solution for a lot of people. Whether people unfamiliar with the platform give a damn is the real question though. :messenger_loudly_crying:

silentstorm

Sensible Soccer is still one of the greatest footy games of all time, it can easily go toe to toe with current games
From what i hear, it's better, wouldn't know since i haven't played any soccer game in years, or seen a soccer game, or understood what people were talking about when they discuss soccer...i have a deep lack of interest in soccer that spreads even to games, but everyone talks good things about Sensible Soccer and even more about it's sequel with 95% of people who played the sequel talking as it being the clearly better game.
Honestly, old computer emulation is not as simple as emulating a console, even when you just want to play games, i think it's the very nature of the systems, you can put an NES/Genesis/SNES/GB/Whatever emulator and just play a game, but it seems that computers like the C64, ZX Spectrum and Amiga require a few more steps, i do recall the MSX being quite easy to emulate though...back when i used emulators a few years back.

Katsura

From what i hear, it's better, wouldn't know since i haven't played any soccer game in years, or seen a soccer game, or understood what people were talking about when they discuss soccer...i have a deep lack of interest in soccer that spreads even to games, but everyone talks good things about Sensible Soccer and even more about it's sequel with 95% of people who played the sequel talking as it being the clearly better game.

Honestly, old computer emulation is not as simple as emulating a console, even when you just want to play games, i think it's the very nature of the systems, you can put an NES/Genesis/SNES/GB/Whatever emulator and just play a game, but it seems that computers like the C64, ZX Spectrum and Amiga require a few more steps, i do recall the MSX being quite easy to emulate though...back when i used emulators a few years back.
I'd agree with that

Oh for sure, much more compilcated. Hence why most newcomers probably aren't going to be interested if it is too complicated or if they don't know the differences between models and compatibility. Most people would probably lose interest at the Kickrom hurdle, never mind the rest of it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Amiga was a good games machine, but not being built solely for that purpose it obviously comes up short against machines that were.

Amiga as personal computer is equally as obviously massively superior to any pure games console, and even could stand its ground against PC and Mac in certain professional niches. e.g. Video Toaster.

As a piece of hardware it was remarkably forward-thinking for its day, and although its reliance on its internal chipset ultimately held it back in the long-term (much like Game Consoles) the sheer ingenuity of its user-base in exploiting every drop of power from the hardware gave it a remarkably long life-span.

Amiga was great in many ways, but its greatest contribution lies in its influence on gaming as a whole, stretching way beyond the boundaries of its own software library due to it being the entry-point for many artists, coders, designers and musicians into the industry.

Without Amiga, software development in Europe would never have grown in close to the same way. It planted seeds that would eventually blossom in the era of Playstation and Xbox.

The simple fact is, no Amiga would mean no GTA.

Amiga could have opened its architecture but they though that would ruin their control and decided to try and put out "game consoles" instead, issue was the CDTV was just a computer in a console shell that cost $1000 and then they gave up on the idea. The head of Commodore were dumb and didn't figure out to put a cheaper console out until 1993.

Funny that Atari did try opening up the ST, but they also put out PC clones at the same time and the PC clones ended up selling more and screwing up Ataris direction. They should have just opened up their hardware without PC clones but Sam thought shelf stuffing hardware was a good idea for some reason.

When you look at the phone industry it's very similar to the Computer industry back int he day. First you had BB7, Palm, old IOS, Symbian, Windows 5 and 6.1 and others, all feature rich, more flexible, and more stable than early android which was garbage.

Then Android basically just kind of opened up more while everyone else was kind of fumbling around and now android basically owns 95% of the mobile industry.

Only difference is there's still one competitor still on the market that's relevant which is Ios, but otherwise the mobile market still followed the pattern of all the alternatives dying off or going bankrupt.

In a way you could look at Windows Phone 8/8.1/10 vs. BlackBerry 10 as Atari ST vs. Amiga (except in this case the ST would win.)

These versions were vastly superior to Android at the time. Things like FP scanners, Eye scanners, face Scanners, multitasking, video playing multitasking and so many other things were done on Blackberry 10 and Windows 8/10 first then Android (and apple) picked them up.

I remember when people though the Blackberry Z30 was a comeback and that the small momentum with Widows 8.1 would lead to Windows 10 being big until MS screwed up on backwards compatibility with the UWP system, and Blackberry decided to try and control all their apps and vet software partners. They did partner with Amazon to bring android apps to BB10 but that didn't really address the problem and killed Apples identity.

RAIDEN1

Its just a dam shame that Commodore/Amiga went out with a whimper with the CD32....otherwise it could have been the Dreamcast of its time...

Havoc2049

I wish. As an ST owner in the US, I felt like I was always getting ports of the PC EGA version. I also felt that the ST to Amiga port thing was more the case for the low budget games. For the AAA games, it always felt like the Amiga version was better than ST the majority of the time, although there were a few times where the ST held its own.

The Secret of Monkey Island
Amiga
the-secret-of-monkey-island-05.png

PC EGA
maxresdefault.jpg

Atari ST (small pic, but you can tell it is just like the EGA version)
nzOrzfr.png

silentstorm

Its just a dam shame that Commodore/Amiga went out with a whimper with the CD32....otherwise it could have been the Dreamcast of its time...
Like people have said, the executives at Commodore were either idiots, incompetent or really didn't know what they were doing, the CD32 and the Commodore 64 Game System are just mere examples of that.

Heck, they were so bad i have seen people jokingly saying they were doing a Producers scam, doing something awful that would fail and get money out of it, only unlike The Producers, the Amiga ended up not being big enough to support Commodore forever, but this is just a joke theory some people made at how badly the people at Commodore screwed up everything.

silentstorm

Yeah, the Dreamcast didn't exactly last long, and it absolutely did not save Sega, but i blame that on Sega releasing too many expensive add-ons that people wouldn't buy for the Genesis and the terrible way they released the Sega Saturn alongside it being apparently harder to code for than the PS1.

Seriously, Sega, a suprise release of the Saturn without warning every developer and store so that not every place would be stocked nor all launch games being ready?

...Like people have said, the executives at Commodore were either idiots, incompetent or really didn't know what they were doing...

Not all of them. That broad statement is disingenuous.

This amazing 2017 interview on The Guru Meditation YouTube channel with the legendary, David John Pleasance (CEO), after a beer or two, is really enlightening and gives more of an indication on what really happened.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Dreamcast didn't exactly last long, and it absolutely did not save Sega, but i blame that on Sega releasing too many expensive add-ons that people wouldn't buy for the Genesis and the terrible way they released the Sega Saturn alongside it being apparently harder to code for than the PS1.

Seriously, Sega, a suprise release of the Saturn without warning every developer and store so that not every place would be stocked nor all launch games being ready?

I don't know why people in gaming are one of the only groups that continue to use Wiki or youtube videos for history.

The "expensive add-ons" which are only two were not the reason why they went bankrupt.

Sega:

1. Had no top selling franchises other than Sonic that were first party until Virtua Fighter on the Saturn. Most Genesis games were lucky to sell over 500k. Some third party games like MK helped but it was still only a handful of games that sold really well.

2 Almost all of Segas western studios were killed by the time the Saturn came out in the west with very buggy and poor looking games like Daytona and others, which got "apology" updates the next year.

3. Sega spend a large amount of money on Model 3 arcade machines that didn't sell well because of how expensive they were, and never made money on. It was supposed to be future-proof as well, and started losing that marker 1.5 years after it came out.

4. The Saturn had it worse than the Genesis, this time almost zero games sold well. Most Sega third or 1st party games would be lucky to sell over 200k, and I think there was only one million seller and that's still being debated with sales figures.

5. Sega of Japan approved the 32X due to overreacting to the Jaguar and it sold decent and had a modest library of games, but Sega quickly stopped pushing t making it pointless. Sega also tried putting out 32X consoles to keep shelf space for Saturns which pissed retailers off.

6. Sega of Japan threw money around trying to buy exclusives or to get Jp developers to put games on their platform. Issues is most of the time neither side made any money on these deals.

7. The Saturn was a money sync, made worse by their panic to the 3DO and later the PSX, that it caused them to slap an additional piece of expensive hardware to try and make their console more competitive in 3D. Before that the Saturns 3D was worse than the 3DO's in may areas and still was in some.

8. The GameGear had marginal marketshare but wasn't a money printer. To remedy this Sega tried to put out a successor that was cost more in order to improve profits, but of course those portables didn't sell.

9 By the time the Dreamcast was said t be in development Sega was in the same position as Atari was in late 1994. All their revenue streams were cut. The Model 3 machines were losing them money and cost too much, their handheld market was dead, their failed attempt at educational hardware failed, the Saturn was draining money fast, and retailers were putting unsold items on clearance. The only thing Sega had left was the Dreamcast that was launching soon and instead of trying to fix at least some parts of their business so they had more they one revenue stream, they pulled a late 94 Atari and put everything on the Dreamcast while cutting everything else. Just like how Atari put everything on the Jaguar and cut everything else.

in 1997 Sega was already broke, but still losing money, When the Dreamcast came out Sega had to take out a loan, and one of the big wigs of the company had to invest his own cash to keep it floating.

What's funny is one could argue japan was one of the primary reasons the Dreamcast failed. While some of Europe brought it modestly, a good chunk didn't. But Japan was a money sink and they had to cut the price multiple times and sell excess stick AFTER they discontinued it. In the US, it sold well enough for decent profits. If they cut Japan out of the picture and consolidated Europe, Sega might have avoided bankruptcy ad the merger with Sammy later. I'm not sure they would still have enough cash to release another console, but the DC would have at least finished its life.

But to be fair, a lot of the surprise was the facade they were putting on. The Genesis was almost an accident. But even them they messed up at the end take advantage of the Genesis' popularity as they should have because it could of made Sega a lot more money than they did.

All that stuff about being hard to code for really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think the surprise Saturn launch in itself was a bad idea, it was SEGA's execution of it. Not telling all of their retail partners and offering up slots for them to get in on it (that way even if it was just only four, at least you gave the others a chance to be one of the four), not telling devs and pubs ahead of time (that way maybe those who had games further in development, to incentivize them in finishing the games early. Maybe SEGA even offering dev assistance to make it happen) etc. THAT'S why the surprise launch failed.

If one of the Big Three tried it today they would have the wherewithal to notify their retail partners ahead of time and notify publishers as well to coordinate everything. And I guess while social media could spoil the surprise (someone's gonna leak it eventually), you can also use social media and the internet in general to build the hype and get targeted advertising going, something SEGA couldn't have done in '95.

1. Had no top selling franchises other than Sonic that were first party until Virtua Fighter on the Saturn. Most Genesis games were lucky to sell over 500k. Some third party games like MK helped but it was still only a handful of games that sold really well.

This is a bit disingenuous. The vast majority of games that did million-seller numbers at that time were some of Nintendo's and Square/Enix titles (particularly in Japan). Gaming as a whole was a smaller industry then and therefore the amount of sales for something to be considered a success was lower than it is by today's standards. And that's a large part also due to budgets being much smaller for the average time.

A shmup like Gaires (fantastic game btw) didn't need to sell 1 million compies to become profitable. It didn't even need to sell 500K to do so. You have to take into account market size, genre and budget when looking at sales numbers for a vast majority of older games. Also in terms of a lot of SEGA's stuff, they were basically arcade ports, so you would also need to take into account the arcade revenue and profits before determining if the game itself was a financial wash.

4. The Saturn had it worse than the Genesis, this time almost zero games sold well. Most Sega third or 1st party games would be lucky to sell over 200k, and I think there was only one million seller and that's still being debated with sales figures.

This one is false. Virtua Fighter in particular was for Saturn in Japan what Sonic was for Genesis/MegaDrive in the West. The first game basically sold 1 to 1 with the Saturn during launch, and the 2nd game did very strongly on the platform as well. I don't know who's "debating" the sales numbers of those games but I would argue as to their purpose in doing so since this only seems to happen with SEGA games on their older consoles, never anyone else. That's....an odd thing, to say the least.

Also again you have to keep budgets in mind when it comes to discussing the sales; a game like Daytona (even the buggy original version) did modestly well on the system but the arcade version is one of the highest-earning revenue titles in the industry. Virtua Fighter continued to be a strong performer in Japan, it basically became the defacto fighting game IP there during the mid-to-late '90s, supplanting Street Fighter (and it was generally always more popular than Tekken in the region).

6. Sega of Japan threw money around trying to buy exclusives or to get Jp developers to put games on their platform. Issues is most of the time neither side made any money on these deals.

Proof of this? I don't doubt they did some deals (including product placement deals, i.e Sega Saturn in Neon Genesis Evangelion episodes, since they co-funded the production of the show), but you'd think if this were a huge thing there'd of been more games on the Saturn, particularly the higher-tier big-budget stuff.

It's to my understanding that most Japanese devs just chose to develop or port to the system of their own accord, a lot of 2D devs in particular to play to its strengths. If anything I would call out SEGA wasting money on things like Gameworks, which may've been big ambition, but was poorly utilized funds that could've gone towards securing 3rd-party timed exclusive and exclusive deals, plus more 1st-party content that the system sorely needed.

7. The Saturn was a money sync, made worse by their panic to the 3DO and later the PSX, that it caused them to slap an additional piece of expensive hardware to try and make their console more competitive in 3D. Before that the Saturns 3D was worse than the 3DO's in may areas and still was in some.

Now you're just making bold statements just to make bold statements. There isn't any much indication SEGA panicked over the 3DO, particularly due to its pricing, though there's the obvious stuff with PS1 (and oddly enough, the Atari Jaguar).

The bolded part, you gotta provide some receipts here buddy. And I mean something besides transparencies. AFAIK, both 3DO and Saturn used quads, so any particular quirks devs had with Saturn in that regard, they would've had with 3DO. And 3DO's dev kits never got to the maturity of Saturn's SGL or SGL 2.0 (yes, that's largely due to 3DO falling out the market early, but the point still stands).

As to the Nomad stuff (I think you're referring to Nomad, right?), well the price was ridiculous but in terms of actual R&D costs it was not in the same ballpark as GameGear because the Nomad is essentially a portable Genesis. So a large chunk of its R&D was already covered well in advance. It was neat idea for the time but too early for the market, the time for that kind of power in a portable hadn't come yet.

The Saturn wasn't AS big a money sink as you think; SEGA cut back on Genesis early and lost a lot of potential revenue that would've brought in. So in doing that, more financial responsibility was shifted onto the Saturn than had originally been planned. Also a good chunk of the losses they were incurring during that period were due to the softening of the arcade market as a whole; I do agree SEGA could've (and should've) made more efforts to clean up that revenue stream and Model 3 (much like Capcom's CPS3) wasn't the answer (neither were things like Gameworks); in hindsight though, what could they have realistically have done there?

All the players were getting softer results in the arcade market, the recession (and for the West, eventual collapse) was inevitable in that sector. Maybe they should've found a better way to integrate their arcade and home console ecosystems to facilitate players going between the two of them? They would've still needed costly proprietary solutions since tech homogenization wasn't anywhere to the degree in the mid '90s that we have today.

I wouldn't say SEGA had a facade at that time, at least, not SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe. And prior to Model 3, the arcade division was doing extremely well in revenue and profit. But it was always SEGA of Japan messing things up one way or another; they forced people like Kalinski and Katz out when they arguably needed them most, and started making decisions for the Western markets out of spite and arrogance. If they weren't so hungry to sacrifice the global markets simply for Japan (which was a pyrrhic victory anyway; they were ultimately still trounced by Sony and the N64 didn't finish that far behind Saturn when all was said and done), things could've worked out a lot differently...

....at least with home consoles. We don't really know what they could've done for arcades aside from skipping Model 3 (and I suppose, not doing games like F355 Challenge; those sort of machines kind of being vanity projects with excess costs even while using the much more cost-effective NAOMI).

Last edited:
I don't think the surprise Saturn launch in itself was a bad idea, it was SEGA's execution of it. Not telling all of their retail partners and offering up slots for them to get in on it (that way even if it was just only four, at least you gave the others a chance to be one of the four), not telling devs and pubs ahead of time (that way maybe those who had games further in development, to incentivize them in finishing the games early. Maybe SEGA even offering dev assistance to make it happen) etc. THAT'S why the surprise launch failed.

Actually Sega wasn't ready for the launch, they barely hadany software, had unsold merchandise on retailer shelves, and didn't really articulate their long-term plan, because they had none honestly.

This is a bit disingenuous. The vast majority of games that did million-seller numbers at that time were some of Nintendo's and Square/Enix titles (particularly in Japan). Gaming as a whole was a smaller industry then and therefore the amount of sales for something to be considered a success was lower than it is by today's standards. And that's a large part also due to budgets being much smaller for the average time.

This is just not a fact. Outside of Japan SNES/NES/DOS/C64 had million selling games. Coleco/Atari/Mattel also had million selling games. It's not just million sellers either, Sega basically had few games that sold even middle tier number.

Before Sonic the best selling games on the Genesis was Ms.Pacman, which later was a pack-in, and Altered beast, a pack-in. Nothing else even sold 500k.

After Sonic, Sega wouldn't have a major 1stparty hit until Virtual Fighter. The last thirdparty hits they had at EOL on the genesis until the Dreamcast launch were NBA Jam, MK2 and some others.

Meanwhile the SNES had Several 1st and 3rd party titles selling millions (outside jrpgs which only sold in Japan) to over 500k. This would get WORSE when the Saturn came out where there was 1-2 major selling titles and there, with next to zero games that sold over 500k outside of Japan and even in Japan only a few and a chunk of those were Jrpgs.

A shmup like Gaires (fantastic game btw) didn't need to sell 1 million compies to become profitable. It didn't even need to sell 500K to do so. You have to take into account market size, genre and budget when looking at sales numbers for a vast majority of older games. Also in terms of a lot of SEGA's stuff, they were basically arcade ports, so you would also need to take into account the arcade revenue and profits before determining if the game itself was a financial wash.

There's zero logic in this statement and I hate when Sega fans bring it up. There's a difference between making some cash and making profits. If I sell computer products and I only made $4 from a year of sales, technically I made money, but I didn't make any real profits. If that $4 became $400,000+ then we would be talking.

Not to mention outside of Japan there weren't that many shmups, and considering how Sega was broke by 97 those shmups clearly weren't that profitable This is a poor defense to excuse Segas shitty game libraries and poor management that didn't appeal to anyone and didn't move consoles. Only Sega is usually given this excuse and it doesn't help them at all.

Again, Sega was broke when the Dreamcast was announced and hinted at BEFORE it launched, there was no "arcade revenue" to take into account they had NO money. This excuse is used for the Genesis as well, but I only see that making sense before the SNES came out because Sega was still making arcade money primarily then, but then from 1991 Sega switched to being a real competitor instead of small niche console that made money and basically lost most of the profits they made because they didn't know how to actually manage themselves in the market post-success. But for some reason everyone wants to pretend the Genesis did everything right and love to throw all the blame on the Saturn.

This one is false. Virtua Fighter in particular was for Saturn in Japan what Sonic was for Genesis/MegaDrive in the West. The first game basically sold 1 to 1 with the Saturn during launch, and the 2nd game did very strongly on the platform as well. I don't know who's "debating" the sales numbers of those games but I would argue as to their purpose in doing so since this only seems to happen with SEGA games on their older consoles, never anyone else. That's....an odd thing, to say the least.

How is it false? Virtua Fighter 1 (and 2) are the only games that sold over 1 million, and with VF1 I'm giving the benefit of the doubt because it sold 630k in japan and I'm assuming the rest of the world made up enough to get it past 1 million. VF2 sold 1.4 million in japan alone, no other game in japan sold 600k or more.

Also again you have to keep budgets in mind when it comes to discussing the sales; a game like Daytona (even the buggy original version) did modestly well on the system but the arcade version is one of the highest-earning revenue titles in the industry. Virtua Fighter continued to be a strong performer in Japan, it basically became the defacto fighting game IP there during the mid-to-late '90s, supplanting Street Fighter (and it was generally always more popular than Tekken in the region).

No, Daytona didn't make anywhere near as much money as your implying. Also, as I said above, you can't keep using such a flawed excuse for Sega, especially when we are talking about the age of the Saturn, the age were Sega HAD NO MONEY just a couple years in. Also I hate to say this but VF was not that big in Japan. VF2 did well mostly because there wasn't competition on the Saturn when it came out, but if VF2 was on the PSX, it would be lucky to sell 300k.

VF sold 630k (that's with selling 1:1 with saturns)
VF2 sold 1.4 million

This was the best of the Saturns reach in japan, where it had worse software sales, even with Jrpgs, than the N64, which came out two years late and sold nearly the same amount as the Saturn there.

Also SF was never that big in Japan outside the arcade so that's not much of a milestone. The biggest SF titles were on the Super Famicom and Alpha 2 rode that wave, but at an over 50% sales drop, and the Alpha series was the last time a SF game sold over 250k in japan.

Heck the best selling Street Fighter game after Super Famicom SFII variations and the Alpha games is SFEX3 (Xmen vs. SF for crossover titles by only by a small bit more) which tells you how quickly SF faded into irrelevance

So not much of an accomplishment to beat SF during that time, and SF was only number 1 for the SFII variations on SFC, it was never number one post 1994. It was replaced by a few games, including Toshinden. Yeah, Toshinden was selling more than SF was, WORLDWIDE.

Proof of this? I don't doubt they did some deals (including product placement deals, i.e Sega Saturn in Neon Genesis Evangelion episodes, since they co-funded the production of the show), but you'd think if this were a huge thing there'd of been more games on the Saturn, particularly the higher-tier big-budget stuff.

The Saturn has a pretty big library, just most of it's in Japan. A good chunk of those games are deals You forget that the Saturn was a japanese-first system controlled by Sega of Japan and even they they could only sell 5 million units with poor software sales.

It's to my understanding that most Japanese devs just chose to develop or port to the system of their own accord, a lot of 2D devs in particular to play to its strengths. If anything I would call out SEGA wasting money on things like Gameworks, which may've been big ambition, but was poorly utilized funds that could've gone towards securing 3rd-party timed exclusive and exclusive deals, plus more 1st-party content that the system sorely needed.

Gameworks was done to slow the bleeding for Segas arcade business by attempting to expand it, which was rapidly draining due to the Model 3 and pushing the Model 3 over their other machines. I'd argue Sega would have lost more money without it since it was purchased in 1996 which is when the model 3 launched.

Now you're just making bold statements just to make bold statements. There isn't any much indication SEGA panicked over the 3DO, particularly due to its pricing, though there's the obvious stuff with PS1 (and oddly enough, the Atari Jaguar).

Actually, you basically ignored my post, and decided to form your own sentences. I said the Sega panicked due to the 3DO and Sony, and then talked about the reason for that: 3D. Yes, the PSX was the trigger because of the massive marketing campaign, but the 3DO also was a factor into Sega abandoning the original vision of the machine by adding that second VDP,which also increased the costs. Also the 3DO wasn't $500 at either the Japanese Saturn launch nor the North American one so you can't really talk about price here either. Remember Sega panicked due to the Jaguar which is why the 32X even existed.

The bolded part, you gotta provide some receipts here buddy. And I mean something besides transparencies. AFAIK, both 3DO and Saturn used quads, so any particular quirks devs had with Saturn in that regard, they would've had with 3DO. And 3DO's dev kits never got to the maturity of Saturn's SGL or SGL 2.0 (yes, that's largely due to 3DO falling out the market early, but the point still stands).

Not only was the Saturn more difficult to make games on than the 3Do, but the 3Do had better polygon generation which offered smooth 3D graphics and interpolation that the PSX and SAT 3D lacked, which mean that several jags, warping and other graphical issues that are common complaints about PSX/SAT 3D did not ecist on the 3Do or only a select few games had issues with at best. The 3D also had better audio execution, technically the Saturn should have better audio than the 3DO but it and the PSX have many games that still use chiptunes as the primary sound generator or in conjuction with some higher quality sounds based on the space provided on CD's. Also for the saturn specifically, it can't move polygons around as fast as the 3DO without cutting something else which is why some faster games that were on the Saturn would have better graphics than the 3DO version but run slower (or have worse graphics than the 3DO version and run faster).

As to the Nomad stuff (I think you're referring to Nomad, right?), well the price was ridiculous but in terms of actual R&D costs it was not in the same ballpark as GameGear because the Nomad is essentially a portable Genesis. So a large chunk of its R&D was already covered well in advance. It was neat idea for the time but too early for the market, the time for that kind of power in a portable hadn't come yet.

No it wasn't too early, the portable TG16 sold more and it was the same concept, and smaller. The Nomad was slapped together at a high price and Sega assumed it would sell, it didn't. GG also never made much money either. There's rumors that they were going to put out a stronger game gear but backed off. Sega was dumb to not try and do something with the GG marketshare they had after the Nomad, it removed one of their revenue generators. This left only the console and Arcade divisions.

The Saturn wasn't AS big a money sink as you think; SEGA cut back on Genesis early and lost a lot of potential revenue that would've brought in. So in doing that, more financial responsibility was shifted onto the Saturn than had originally been planned. Also a good chunk of the losses they were incurring during that period were due to the softening of the arcade market as a whole; I do agree SEGA could've (and should've) made more efforts to clean up that revenue stream and Model 3 (much like Capcom's CPS3) wasn't the answer (neither were things like Gameworks); in hindsight though, what could they have realistically have done there?

No, Sega was already losing revenue on the Genesis, they were already cutting their western studios, they stopped courting third-parties, they were losing ground to the SNES, and Sega of Japan was fighting with SOA. Several experiments all sold poorly and failed as well. The 32X was supposed to try and keep sales stable or increase them while preventing the "Jaguar" from basically helping write-off the Genesis outright, as the SNES had a few FX chip games, but those few sold 5x was the Genesis was selling with its top titles in 93 and 94.

The Saturn lost money before it launched, and lost money after launch until its death, it literally made ZERO money. The Model 3 not making money made this worse. Naomi replaced Model 3 pretty fast since it was stronger and cheaper, and they made the Dreamcast based on that board because the idea was sharing the console and arcade wings would work to solve profit issues. In the arcade that wasn't true, for the console it did work in the US and maybe the Uk to an extent.

All the players were getting softer results in the arcade market, the recession (and for the West, eventual collapse) was inevitable in that sector. Maybe they should've found a better way to integrate their arcade and home console ecosystems to facilitate players going between the two of them? They would've still needed costly proprietary solutions since tech homogenization wasn't anywhere to the degree in the mid '90s that we have today.

And several of those players were still making money while the overly expensive model 3 machines were bleeding Sega dry losing allt he arcade profits they had before the model 3 launched in just over 1 year. This excuse if "it being inevitable" doesn't apply to Sega who worked with Lockheed to make an insane system they though would be future-proof without doing research on where consoles and PC's were going. They also cut their other machines back for the model 3. There should have been consolidation so that all the best performing arcade games still kept being send out along with the new model 3 games that did relatively well. They did the same thing Atari did with their computer market, the exact same thing.

I wouldn't say SEGA had a facade at that time, at least, not SEGA of America or SEGA of Europe. And prior to Model 3, the arcade division was doing extremely well in revenue and profit. But it was always SEGA of Japan messing things up one way or another; they forced people like Kalinski and Katz out when they arguably needed them most, and started making decisions for the Western markets out of spite and arrogance. If they weren't so hungry to sacrifice the global markets simply for Japan (which was a pyrrhic victory anyway; they were ultimately still trounced by Sony and the N64 didn't finish that far behind Saturn when all was said and done), things could've worked out a lot differently...

....at least with home consoles. We don't really know what they could've done for arcades aside from skipping Model 3 (and I suppose, not doing games like F355 Challenge; those sort of machines kind of being vanity projects with excess costs even while using the much more cost-effective NAOMI).

Arcade division was doing well, but not extremely well since model 3 released in 1996, you'd be talking about Sega in 94-95 which is where they were starting to sink. Genesis was definitely an accident.

It took off, Sega of America tried to manage it but didn't really handle it well, SOJ went nuts and neither side figured out what to do with the success. SOJ was actively upset that it was a success outside of Japan, and in the end there were only a handful of top selling titles. in 1992 and early 1993 Sega was at it's highest peak, and lost all that and then some in just under 3 years, and lost everything 3 years after that.

It wasn't always Sega of japan either, Sega of America mishandled studios, and didn't take advantage of mind share. They are also the ones that offered the 32X as a solution to the Jaguar. However,r if they didn't they would have quick launched the Saturn, so there was no winner here either way. Sega of America also supported all those accessories and experiments like channel, and they screwed up marketing for tons of partners.

By 1994, the japanese launch of the Saturn, Sega of America was in turmoil and became under SOJ control by 95 and then from there you could blame SOJ 95% of the time, though SOE made a few mistakes as well.

Also as for the N64, the N64 only lost to the Saturn by 360k, two years late, with better software sales.

You ask what Sega could have done? It's easy. They needed better management. Sega of America wanted to run their branch from the top, and so they didn't have people or departments in place to manage the success the Genesis achieve post-Sonic. Sega of Japan was run the same way but much more strictly where even middle staff had no say and it became a grudge match.

Sega shouldn't have cut their other arcade machines after the model 3 and kept top selling titles in circulation. They should have expanded their arcade machines by having tiers and prices for each tier so that operators would be interested. Instead, Sega basically tried forcing operators to by overly expensive machines, when almost everyone elses arcade hardware was catching up and were much cheaper.

With the Saturn, them panicking likely wouldn't have changed, they still would have launched the 32X in response to the Jaguar, but they could have made the 32X a bigger thing byt marketing it more and promoting it longer.

That way, Sega could have kept the Saturn price low and took some early profit hits for better sales. They also would need to get developers on board in the west for launch, because that first year+ of the Saturn was badddddd.

Just those simple changes would have changed so many things. Instead people want to act like Sega of Japan is the only one to blame, and that Sega was killed by an E3 announcement by Sony no average person saw, and all this other nonsense.

Don't forget Sega trying to enter then PC market twice and failing. Maybe if they actually took it seriously they may have been able to put out some cheap computers with another partner for the low-end casual and business market, but instead they want to make these hybrid PC machines that cost money and didn't go anywhere.

Atari made many similar mistakes, although they didn't have an arcade division because Atari corp DID NOT BUY the arcade division which became Atari games, and Atari games was a separate company that later fort brought by Midway and made them a lot of money. Still one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen, they doubled down too, they had years to buy Atari games.

Good God dude, we get it. You hate SEGA xD. Cool. But at least justify it with some sources to some of your claims, there's a lot of bullshit in that post of yours.

Which, I'll get to picking apart when I have the time later on, either today or tomorrow. But damn xD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just skimming your post; you are lumping in DOS as a platform when that was an OS across an array of devices, that skews the comparison right there. You ignored the 3rd party Genesis releases that sold very strongly like MK1 (quadruple SNES versions's sales #s), Aladdin, Madden etc.

You excused my point about budgets relative to revenue and profit because you can't actually counter that with data; it's a fair point to bring up and something worth considering when a lot of the games you are downplaying went on to get sequels (some multiples of), meaning that they obviously were profitable enough to warrant the venture for more expansions.

And I have ZERO idea why you are bringing up lack of shmups outside of Japan during Saturn. Dude, there was a lack of 2D games IN GENERAL outside of Japan during that era, or did you forget about the boner the press and gamers had for 3D at that time? Stolar was also responsible for, among other things, cutting down imports of what he felt were niche games, 2D shmups being one of them. But you are somehow trying to make that an indictment on the genre and its quality itself? Weird.

The Daytona revenue I referenced is for arcades, and yes, it is accurate. Again, where are you getting your spin from on this? It's been a staple in arcades globally since its debut, it's arguably the most famous arcade racing game of all time. I wasn't referring to the Saturn ports when talking about its overall revenue xD.

Wait and downplaying SFII now? I said VF took over SF as the most popular fighting game IP in Japan...all you literally did was confirm what I just said. I don't care about the non-Japanese numbers in this context, that has nothing to do with Japan. And I don't care about SF3 tanking (which it more or less did), because that's after Virtua Fighter pretty much took over around those parts. It is what it is, you're trying to shift conditions around to make it seem like something less when I'm just stating what literally occurred :/

You bring up the portable TG16...technically that was the portable TurboExpress, and that deserves being specified. Because the bulk of its sales came in Japan, where the PC-Engine did decently well (especially at its start). Globally it was pretty much a failure by any metrics of volumes shifted. If that level of hardware power was what portable gamers were hungry for, then the Express, Lynx, GG and Nomad would've done better than they did. And AFAIK, the TurboExpress sold much less than GameGear, and only about half the numbers of the Lynx.

Can you specify how SEGA were losing revenue on Genesis even right after SNES came out? SNES made some inroads in market share in Europe (MegaDrive still outsold it there cumulatively) and eventually overtook it in the American market during the holiday '94 season, but from '92 to '93 SEGA made market share gains in that same region. So what do you mean by revenue in this context? Do you mean the Genesis ecosystem, relative to value of units in the market to sell? I could maybe see that given the Sega/Mega CD (with the BOM, R&D, marketing, shipping costs etc. that would've incurred). But you aren't being nearly specific enough for this to make any sense.

I don't think you know the whole Model 3 situation that well. Lockheed Martin had to scale back on the project because of difficulty in hitting design targets. Insinuating SEGA did "no research" on where console and PC tech was going is laughable, considering their Model series efforts inspired a lot of that same console and PC tech. Hell, the first ever PC 3D-accelerated graphics card was done in collab between Nvidia and SEGA. Your opinion assumes that triangles were going to be the default, but the truth is a lot of things regarding 3D in console gaming was in the early stages and up in the air. Both tri and quad approaches had their benefits and tradeoffs. And there were still Model 2 games released after Model 3's debut. I...I don't even know what you're implying here. As to the nature of some of those later Model 2 games (if they were originally for Model 3 but downported, which I believe was the case for Indy 500), we don't know, but the fact is they still supported Model 2 after Model 3's release.

It seems a lot of your post assumes I am blaming SEGA's mistakes in the '90s on Sony and Saturn alone. Uh...no? I'm fully aware of the mismanagement issues. There's other things in that regard I don't see ANYBODY talk about, either, such as the Gameworks venture, and how those things ultimately impaired the console side of things. But, I'm just discussing these things honestly, and I'm not coming up with defense points simply out of thin air to defend them, these companies ultimately don't need people defending them.

That said, I value keeping the record straight, and there's probably still a few things in your post worth addressing specifically but...I thought this was an Amiga thread? We've kinda hijacked it talking about SEGA stuff, I dunno if the Amiga boys like that (granted the OP started out on a super-weird point anyway so maybe this was bound to happen).

Last edited:

silentstorm

And Portuguese too, but yeah, Amiga=friend who is female, Amigo=friend who is male.

That goes for both Portuguese and Spanish.

Sega fans accusing people speaking facts as hating Sega as usual while trying to post without a quote.

Just skimming your post; you are lumping in DOS as a platform when that was an OS across an array of devices, that skews the comparison right there. You ignored the 3rd party Genesis releases that sold very strongly like MK1 (quadruple SNES versions's sales #s), Aladdin, Madden etc.

Dos had a games library, it's library sold more software and gaming on DOS nor PC's were big at the time.

The rest of your post here is just poor comparisons. The SNES had over 30 million sellers and over double that over 500K. The 2600 had several million sellers and several over 500k. In japan the TG16 had several million sellers and many over 500k. DOS also had this.

Sega had some million sellers but it didn't have many and many just made it to that number. But once you start going below that sales drop like flies. Mindshare is another issue here, outside of Sonic, Aladdin, MK 1, and NBA Jam there were not many "wow games" that caught media and gamer attention which is why most people looking back on it that aren't on gaming forums only think about those games and maybe a weird title or two.

Comparing MK 1 sales to SNES MK 1 sales doesn't drop the SNES higher sales volume. It's not relevant.

You excused my point about budgets relative to revenue and profit because you can't actually counter that with data; it's a fair point to bring up and something worth considering when a lot of the games you are downplaying went on to get sequels (some multiples of), meaning that they obviously were profitable enough to warrant the venture for more expansions.

Sega had sequels to games that made zero money. They are competing in the console race, their console sales were low, their arcade games were losing money, your point about arcade revenue is literally pointless when we are talking about a broke Sega by the launch of the Dreamcast, you do realize that right? Use your head. That's not an excuse for having a successful game consoles and having poor system selling software which is exactly what you're trying to do. Issue is, again, the arcades didn't make money. Sometimes top performers would get sequels in case they could help get them profits, that didn't happen since they, well, were broke and had no money. Hello?

And I have ZERO idea why you are bringing up lack of shmups outside of Japan during Saturn. Dude, there was a lack of 2D games IN GENERAL outside of Japan

No there wasn't, the PSX had more than double the 2D games of N64 and Saturn combined and in more than one genre. Add in computers and there's even more. You also intentionally misread my post, the fact is most of those Shmups were not profitable. You assumed that based on costs, while also ignoring the fact that $4 from the Shmups that were profitable isn't going to remove thousands in debt, your comparison was silly.

The Daytona revenue I referenced is for arcades, and yes, it is accurate. Again, where are you getting your spin from on this? It's been a staple in arcades globally since its debut, it's arguably the most famous arcade racing game of all time. I wasn't referring to the Saturn ports when talking about its overall revenue xD.

Daytona revenue was not some major thing even in the arcades (were in the US it lost to Crusin' USA because it attracted more players and cost less to operators) it was a good seller, but not enough to slow downh Segas rapidly declining arcade industry, a fact you keep avoiding which is why you keep thinking you can keep bringing up arcades. Arcades were not helping Sega after the mid 90's and that's a fact. I never said no arcade games did well, but Sega cut back on those games to focus on the model 3 for a REASON, one that you are not considering.

I do think that if Sega removed all underperformers and left some of the better performers like Daytona in circulation instead of cutting it back things would be different, but with how Sega was operating it's arcades at the time Daytona was helping Sega and neither was Sega rally. The ports weren't helping either.

Wait and downplaying SFII now?

How is saying SFII was the only time SF was a number one fighting brand in japan downplaying it? You having trouble reading?

I said VF took over SF as the most popular fighting game IP in Japan...all you literally did was confirm what I just said.

No I didn't because it was Tekken, not VF. Tekken outsold VF 1 on the Saturn, So did the first Toshinden. They were both also more popular in the arcades by the time of the Saturn launch, VF only had a brief reign near the top in 1993 when it had no competition (yet) and lost that only some months later. Which in 1993 SF was still number one that year.

I don't care about the non-Japanese numbers in this context, that has nothing to do with Japan. And I don't care about SF3 tanking (which it more or less did), because that's after Virtua Fighter pretty much took over around those parts.

I said SFA also "tanked" just not as low as SF 3, SF was not where neat number one post Super Famicom. VF also took over nothing. Tekken did.

You bring up the portable TG16...technically that was the portable TurboExpress, and that deserves being specified.

Which is a portable TG16, that takes TG16 hucards, because it's a portable TG16....

Can you specify how SEGA were losing revenue on Genesis even right after SNES came out?

I never said right after the SNES came out.

I was talking 1993-1994 Sega came out with the 32X SPECIFICALLY because they though the Jaguar would kill its sales, and the system was slumping, it's why SNES ultimately passed the Genesis even with the Genesis head start and cheaper price. The 32X was to try and extent the life of the Genesis. The Genesis was not a money making machine at that point.

I don't think you know the whole Model 3 situation that well. Lockheed Martin had to scale back on the project because of difficulty in hitting design targets. Insinuating SEGA did "no research" on where console and PC tech was going is laughable,

No it's a fact, Sega originally designed the Saturn to be a Jaguar level consoles with twice the power and texture ability focusing on Model 1 level arcade games and the popular special effect scaling 2D games. The PSX (and lesser extent 3DO) made them rush an addition to the hardware specifically to make it more capable. They had no idea where the industry was. The Arcade machines were dedicated gaming machines meant to be a spectacle to get quarters, and isn't part of the gaming industry it's a different segment, and if you understood that you wouldn't be confused.

It wasn't just Sega either, several companies were torn between whether the console industry was going 3D, FMV, or advanced 2D graphics. The 3DO and Jaguar shifted everyone towards the 3D direction, it's why, again, the 32X was made, and why Sega panicked with the Saturn. It's a fact that the Saturn was made thinking that it wouldn't go far in the 3D direction. Sega panicked for a reason, not out of thin air.

considering their Model series efforts inspired a lot of that same console and PC tech. Hell, the first ever PC 3D-accelerated graphics card was done in collab between Nvidia and SEGA.

It didn't inspire jack, the NV1 was a failure in the market and the sequel was dropped by Nvidia. The first influential and successful accelerator was the 3DFX voodoo. Heck, Microsoft helped killed NV1 with direct X because it wasn't compatible. 3DFX was used on computers widespread and arcade machines.

And there were still Model 2 games released after Model 3's debut.

And releases and distribution were cut back, you aren't debunking anything here, just twisting points together. I never said there were "zero" Model 2 games, and it's also clear based on 1997 that NONE OF THE arcade releases were making money so that's all irrelevant. You created your own argument here that didn't exist, I never said there were "zero" model 2 machines.

such as the Gameworks venture, and how those things ultimately impaired the console side of things.

Again, I'd argue that Sega would have lost more money in the arcades without Gameworks but eh.

That said, I value keeping the record straight, and there's probably still a few things in your post worth addressing specifically but...I thought this was an Amiga thread? We've kinda hijacked it talking about SEGA stuff, I dunno if the Amiga boys like that (granted the OP started out on a super-weird point anyway so maybe this was bound to happen).

It's a thread about standing the test of time, and the Amiga was also run poorly to it's death, but I'd argue that Amiga based on the thread title the Amiga stands up more than the Genesis outside of plug-in play. You'd also be surprised at both making similar mistakes and it's important to acknowledge these missteps instead of trying to fin excuses for them.

Sega had some million sellers but it didn't have many and many just made it to that number. But once you start going below that sales drop like flies. Mindshare is another issue here, outside of Sonic, Aladdin, MK 1, and NBA Jam there were not many "wow games" that caught media and gamer attention which is why most people looking back on it that aren't on gaming forums only think about those games and maybe a weird title or two.

Just like the Amiga, that didn't have many great selling games either. It's like talking about twin brothers!

Sega had sequels to games that made zero money.

So did the Amiga, crazy.

The only thing different is the Jaguar didn't scare commodore, maybe if it did the CD32 would have been based on a better Amiga computer than the outdated 1200.

It's funny how the last products for both were game consoles, yet their primary markets were in completely different industries.

Man, you people are trying real hard to shit on SEGA in an Amiga thread. There's not much point talking to people with an agenda even if I pull out the facts. And people say I'm the one who writes walls of drivel. Also I'm not quote you because you haven't posted anything worth quoting xD.

"Made sequels to zero-selling games"? Huh, WHAT? That literally doesn't make any financial sense whatsoever. You are going well out of your way to stroke your hate boner to Viagra levels. Not that many games that caught media and gamer attention? Then why did the Genesis gain 65% of the American gaming market in 1993? SNES was well on the shelves by then, by your notion it should've taken over the American market immediately after release. That didn't happen, and it was because of more than just one or two games.

Off the top of my head I can name quite a few Genesis/MegaDrive games that impressed gamers and press at the time and still do today. Ranger-X, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, ThunderForce IV, Dynamite Headdy, Road Rash, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion (which was a sequel, but according to you Castle must've sold zero copies for the sequel to happen xD), Shining Force, Phantasy Star IV etc. And some of those games are pretty well known outside of internet forums, they have a lot of presence on Youtube and some just in general. You are trying super-hard to downplay the library out of...reasons?

And now you're trying to downplay MK1 sales on Genesis by saying the volume was greater on SNES? Did you mean sales ratio to install base? Nice way to shift your goalpost...again.

Daytona actually grossed over a billion dollars in arcades and that was just accounting for when it was having its figures tracked. You trying to say Cruis'n of all things was a bigger deal is completely laughable. Like, absolutely laughable. The game was technologically dated even before its release and most of its hype came because Nintendo lied to people saying the hardware powering Cruis'n was going to be in the N64. It wasn't. Plus the point remains that Cruis'n is mostly remembered for its cheesy presentation and somewhat clunky racing while Daytona is considered by many as the best arcade racing game ever made...and it's still going strongly in the aftermarket in smaller arcade chains and even some major FECs, unlike Cruis'n.

You're sidelining my SF/VF stuff again. You're bringing up Tekken...why? We're talking just Japan here, that's literally what my original statement was predicated on. Tekken didn't start making major traction in Japan until the early-mid '00s. For fighting games, Virtua Fighter was the marquee title for a very long time, certainly during the early-mid through the rest of the '90s. Global numbers don't have relevance in just discussing the Japanese side, stop shifting your goalposts.

As to the Tekken/Toshinden claims...you're full of shit by throwing arcade into that. We're speaking arcade here, and you have a horrible tendency of shifting your goalposts when your claims fall out of the bottom.

The Arcade machines were dedicated gaming machines meant to be a spectacle to get quarters, and isn't part of the gaming industry it's a different segment, and if you understood that you wouldn't be confused.

I will quote this, though, because it's maybe the most laughable part of your whole POV. You have zero understanding on game design, do you? If this is your take, you have no business speaking about this kind of stuff, it's well above your mental comprehension.

Arcade games...are still video games. They're part of the industry. They are a sector of the industry. You don't get to disqualify them because of your own hangups, holy damn xD

Anyway, moving on...hey dumbass, guess what? The Model 1...did inspire stuff. Wow, novel concept, huh? Ken Kutaragi himself noted it as a main point in getting Sony to go forward with the PS1. There are also concepts related to visuals within a 3D space and (more genre-specific) elements of things that've become staples of 3D racing games, that were pioneered with games like Virtua Racing. You will seemingly do anything to downplay these things, but don't worry I'll get to that part towards the end. I gotta finish dismantling your jank arguments.

Your point about Model 2 game units scaled back...uh, do you know how the economics of semiconductor components and distribution networks work? It's not exactly easy to keep certain things in large-scale manufacture if the fabs for certain components are scaling down. SEGA and Nintendo didn't have the luxury of fabbing a lot of their own components like Sony did, so often they were beholden to what partner providers could produce. And I never insinuated that SEGA never scaled back on Model 2 distribution, I merely sniffed out your low-effort attempt at insinuating they reduced distribution to "barely any" or that it was done purely out of greed or spite or whatever's running around in that head.

Gameworks was, ultimately, a money-sink. It's ironic that this is one of the things you disagree with me on. It was over-budgeted and limited in terms of areas they could set up shop in. It relied more on a much smaller pool of upper-level clientele who were not traditional arcade games or gamers in general, but they didn't forsee that a lot of that same clientele only bought into it at the beginning for thinking it was a trendy, chic thing to do at the time.

Gameworks as a concept, as it was implemented in that time frame, was not a sustainable business model. It was potential R&D money that could've gone towards more Saturn software development, 3rd-party courting, and Dreamcast R&D (for things like a DVD drive). Pretty simple to deduce and see in hindsight though, I suppose.

Your last paragraph is just an attempt of you painting a sloppy impression of someone who can counter and dismantle your points, that's all. I actually like a lot of different hardware, and me being a "SEGA fan" doesn't make me exclusively a fan of just them. But in your eyes, apparently people can only be fans of one or two hardware vendor's systems, and that appreciation is mutually exclusive. That is a fanboy mentality and you are projecting it hardcore in your comments.

I'm actually one of the most critical people about SEGA's business missteps over the years, some on things even you probably haven't bothered to consider. That said, I don't have it out for them, either. There's no impetus for me to take a wholly antagonistic approach to discussing their history, and despite me being just as much a fan of Nintendo/SNK/Sony etc, if it comes off to someone like you that I'm defending SEGA, it's probably to counter the particular bias people like you bring to these discussions.

The fact of the matter is that you always end up letting your bias dominate your talking points, and that leads to you mischaracterizing your points of discussion to flat out getting pretty important details outright wrong. That contributes to FUD and if I have a desire to poke back against it in discussion of a hobby I love, then I'll do so. If you were doing something similar with Nintendo, NEC, SNK, Sony etc., I'd counter the exact same way.

There's nothing "fanboy" ish about it; if anything I'm showing my appreciation for the hobby and its players as a whole. I can (and do) keep things fair when it comes to the facts, but if there's someone like you shifting goalposts every other sentence and making up false information, that's a negative impact on these kind of discussions.

Just like the Amiga, that didn't have many great selling games either. It's like talking about twin brothers!

He only named NBA Jam and MK after I mentioned them, and there's other games I could've mentioned, too. I'm not here trying to say some of these games did well beyond what's on the records, but Afro's simply skewing their definition for what they consider a "well-selling" game and can't factor in budgets, target markets, release territories, publisher size (someone like Square could easily afford 5x the cartridge manufacture costs of someone like Technosoft), etc.

They don't understand the economics that went into these things and in some ways still does (though modern games have much cheaper (relatively speaking) methods of distribution, never mind more)

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Ah, yes, the Sega Amiga. That's one of my all-time favorite home computers.

Anyway, back to the main subject. The Commodore Amiga has definitely stood the test of time and is a terrific platform for classic computer games. Goodness knows it's worth it just for Psygnosis and The Bitmap Brothers. For me, it always represented the best of the best, the standard for quality through the 16-bit era and a continuation of the glorious 8-bit home computer era.

Going back to Sega Genesis, one of my favorite things about that system was the large number of solid Amiga ports. The quality often varied wildly, but its best moments such as Populous, Sensible Soccer, Chaos Engine, Chuck Rock and Mega SWIV were glorious. And even some of the lesser titles like Onslaught were good fun.

Of course, the Amiga was best known for its multimedia abilities and software titles like Video Toaster, which was still being used by smaller TV stations right up the turn of the century. These were extremely powerful computers that were far ahead of their peers, the Atari ST, IBM PC and Apple Macintosh, and many computer buffs and hackers still use it to this day.

I only knew one older kid who had an Amiga, a guy named Ray Ballard who lived in a house on the steep hills in Duluth. You had to drive your car up a very stiff bank and you were afraid you'd roll backwards and tumble directly into Lake Superior. I was very impressed with his computer and stack of discs, nearly all of which were pirated, of course, because it was nearly impossible to find Amiga anywhere in the States.

Havoc2049

The Sonic games were big time sellers. The original Sonic sold over 15 million copies and Sonic 2 sold over 6 million copies. The Streets of Rage games were big hits in the US. The EA games were also big hits on the Genesis with titles like Madden, Desert/Jungle Strike, Road Rash series and others. I would put money down that four or five of the EA releases on the Genesis easily sold million+ numbers.

From Wikipedia:
Desert Strike was an immediate commercial success, going straight to the top of sales charts. The game remained a top-10 best seller for months after its release, and was at the time Electronic Arts' highest selling game ever.

Road Rash was released to critical and commercial success. Road Rash was the 9th best-selling Genesis title in the United Kingdom in February 1992. In the United States, Road Rash was the third highest-renting Genesis title at Blockbuster Video in April 1992, and the ninth highest-renting in the following month.

I only knew one older kid who had an Amiga, a guy named Ray Ballard who lived in a house on the steep hills in Duluth. You had to drive your car up a very stiff bank and you were afraid you'd roll backwards and tumble directly into Lake Superior. I was very impressed with his computer and stack of discs, nearly all of which were pirated, of course, because it was nearly impossible to find Amiga anywhere in the States.
The Amiga, and to a lesser extent the Atari ST had a fairly large retail presence in the US, larger then most people give it credit for. National chains like Software Etc., Walden Software, Babbages, Egghead Software. Toys R' Us, and Electronics Boutique all sold Amiga and ST software and games (along with PC, C64, Apple II, Mac and Atari XL/XE) at one time or another between 1985 - 1992. I used to buy Atari ST games at Software Etc. and Walden Software all the time. Every large city and even some medium sized and smaller cities had Commodore and Atari dealers. It wasn't till around 1991 (Atari ST) and around 1992 (Amiga), when it started to become more of a challenge to hunt down Amiga and ST products in the US. Most cities also had Atari and Commodore User Groups.

Speaking of Amiga stuff, does anyone have a comprehensive list of those '80s/'90s computer animation compilations? Even those that weren't done on Amigas (though it feels like 90% of them were)? Or while at it, any articles going into those European rave/electronic music posters and graphics from the '90s done on Amiga machines?

That stuff may be primitive by today's standards but they're incredibly (oddly) hypnotic and "super acid trip" levels of trippy.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My favourite console of all time. Planning to get back into it shortly when I take delivery of a Vampire card. I've been emulating it with FS-UAE on Mac and it runs extremely well.

Thing is, Amiga never truly died. It's technically still an active platform.

From a gaming point of view... There are enough quality games on this single platform to last most people a lifetime and it's my "desert-island" console, no doubt about it.

Edit: So strange, this video just popped up in my YouTube recommendations:

amazing channel

The Sonic games were big time sellers. The original Sonic sold over 15 million copies and Sonic 2 sold over 6 million copies. The Streets of Rage games were big hits in the US. The EA games were also big hits on the Genesis with titles like Madden, Desert/Jungle Strike, Road Rash series and others. I would put money down that four or five of the EA releases on the Genesis easily sold million+ numbers.

From Wikipedia:
Desert Strike was an immediate commercial success, going straight to the top of sales charts. The game remained a top-10 best seller for months after its release, and was at the time Electronic Arts' highest selling game ever.

Road Rash was released to critical and commercial success. Road Rash was the 9th best-selling Genesis title in the United Kingdom in February 1992. In the United States, Road Rash was the third highest-renting Genesis title at Blockbuster Video in April 1992, and the ninth highest-renting in the following month.

I literally said Sonic in the post you quoted you ok?

Streets of Rage were not big hits, and neither was Desert Strike, just because had had some games pop up on charts doesn't mean they sold very well overall, look at many of the NPD charting games this gen, how many of those were massive sellers?

We have lists of million selling Genesis games, there aren't that may that's a fact, that's not hating the Genesis. It didn't have many. You also are forgetting how hard Sega pushed working with rental companies like HV and Blockbuster, and a lot of Genesis games got play in that way.

Not a single Road Rash game individually on the Genesis sold 1 million units. Not one. Highest selling Road Rash game was on the PSX Road Rash 3D which did likely sell over 1 million since it was over 800K in NPD alone and that's your best bet.

Also Road Rash was one of blockbusters best rented game series on the Genesis that's not good for sales. People were actually paying the premium and buying titles on competing systems. Sega made a lot of mistakes. Commodore also made mistakes, yet for some reason one of those is accepted and the other isn't.

Afro why do you keep derailing the thread? We just got back to the Amiga, 'ya know, the subject in the thread title? If you wanna talk about SEGA stuff, make a thread for it. People can debunk most of your stuff over there xD.

Man, you people are trying real hard to shit on SEGA in an Amiga thread

There's no agenda, you just won't accept Sega made dumb mistakes but will accept that for Commodore, your fanboy bias is blinding you to facts.

"Made sequels to zero-selling games"? Huh, WHAT? That literally doesn't make any financial sense whatsoever.

And yet Sega released a ton of Genesis games that basically made no money or broke even which is why they ended up broke, They also did that in Arcades. If that wasn't true than why did they why were they not making any money until they were broke? Software was generating the revenue. Sega relied on software.

Then why did the Genesis gain 65% of the American gaming market in 1993? SNES was well on the shelves by then, by your notion it should've taken over the American market immediately after release. That didn't happen, and it was because of more than just one or two games.

No you're twisting words and making things up. And 1993 is whn the Genesis fumbled and started rapidly losing ground and reveneu, then the 32X came out in 1994 literally because they wanted to protect Genesis sales from the Jaugar, something you still won't admit even though that came out of Segas own damn mouth. Shortly after the SNES passed the Genesis and clsoed the lead gap.

Off the top of my head I can name quite a few Genesis/MegaDrive games that impressed gamers and press at the time and still do today.

Not enough for consumers to buy them when they were relevant. Otherwise Sega would have had more cash on hand.

Ranger-X, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, ThunderForce IV, Dynamite Headdy, Road Rash, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion (which was a sequel, but according to you Castle must've sold zero copies for the sequel to happen xD),

You can tell your fanboy is showing since you are losing your intellect by trying to spin facts. Castle of illusion did sell copies, it didn't sell many copies, and the sequel clearly didn't help Segas bottom line, or they wouldn't be broke. This is the area that keep you arguing with me instead of realizing what the facts are, you refuse to realize that Sega was BROKE by late 96/early 97 and released the Dreamcast with the help of loans and private money.

You can't have NO MONEY if something was actually making profit like you keep falsely implying, I'm sure there were a handful of Genesis games post 1993 (other than Sonic) that helped make some profits but the majority of product on the Genesis were literally not helping Sega in any way.

Shining Force, Phantasy Star IV etc. And some of those games are pretty well known outside of internet forums,

Literally lists two games that have cult followings. They didn't even sell in Japan, not even in the top 12 Japanese Mega Drive games, and number 12, Light Crusader, sold less than 3,000 copies. FF6 on SNES outsold all jrpgs and Strategy Jrpgs on the Genesis in the US and Square still said the sales were bad. How much money could have sega possibly made on thos projects? And Phantasy Star IV wasn't a cheap game

You are also using post-life and emulation interest and applying it to the time the Genesis was relevant which isn't how this works, I know this is hard for you but people weren't buying those games, and Sega lost money on those games, which is why they were quickly become BROKE. That's reality, and you spin it as hating on the Genesis, yet if I were to say the same about any other company that had similar issues (like NEC in many area) you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

And now you're trying to downplay MK1 sales on Genesis by saying the volume was greater on SNES?

No, your overplaying MK1 in desperation, having a couple games sell more on Genesis doesn't remove the fact that the SNES had a significant number more in games that sold over 1 million and over 500k, you brought in the MK argument as a way to move the goal posts and acted like MK1 selling more on Genesis somehow changed that fact, it doesn't. Now you're resulting to deception.

Daytona actually grossed over a billion dollars in arcades and that was just accounting for when it was having its figures tracked. You trying to say Cruis'n of all things was a bigger deal is completely laughable. Like, absolutely laughable

And Daytonas biggest sales were in the west, and in the US it lost to Crusin, from Next Generation:

Cruisin’ USA

Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Williams/Nintendo

This game began life as the
brainchild of legendary game
designer Eugene Jarvis (of
Defender fame) and was turned
into a somewhat successful
arcade title (it’s actually done
more business than Daytona USA
in U.S. arcades). But from the
very beginning, Cruisin’ was
destined for Nintendo 64 (or
“Ultra 64” as it was known at the

Also not a single Arcade racer on the PSX or Saturn consoles sold more than the Crusin USA N64 port, which didn't get an update like the other two iirc, and was poorly ported with issues. Yet sold for years because people liked it and had fun. Personally, I like Ridge Racer more than both (well only R4) but as much as people tried hyping up Daytona and Ridge Racer they weren't really lighting all that much on fire, especially when they went to consoles.

That being said Daytona was a successful machine, but how much profit in pocket did Sega make on that game, the last announcement I can find for tracking was end of 1994, 2 years before Sega hit bottom income levels which it already was CURRENTLY in 1994 heading toward, so it's possible Daytona (which was it's best seller at the time) made some profits but not enough to offset the failures of everything else Sega was putting out. In fact, Sega had a few decent arcade titles like Sega Rally as well but that really didn't do anything for them because of how poorly they managed their arcade division. This was BEFORE the model 3 came out btw.

Also Crusin sold on the N64 much more than the Ridge Racer or Daytona's console releases and I'm including both Ridge Racer and the apology Ridge Racer - Ridge Racer Revolution, two games that came out around the same time as Crusin in the arcades. People like fun games, not just games that look good, and Midway (and Atari Games before the buyout with games like Rush) produced great looking 3D arcade games that were better than most other companies, while still maintaining a cheap price for operators, while still making a profit, and made their games more fun than the other two.

Sega and Namco were having arcade hardware wars racing to the bottom until Nacmo kind of cut down a bit. Sega kept trying to make some future-proof arcade hardware that couldn't ever happen wasting tons of dollars they never made back with games that most people didn't play and that's the reality. Also operators didn't like the cost of Model 3 games and were losing interest in arcade machines by the time of Naomi.

Plus the point remains that Cruis'n is mostly remembered for its cheesy presentation and somewhat clunky racing while Daytona is considered by many as the best arcade racing game ever made...

I mean you're wrong, many people think that game is better, it's called subjective opinions. But the issue here is this sentence is pointless because we are talking about a time when Sega was relevant and still selling consoles, and during that time of relevancy people didn't care as much as they do now>

As I said above, people used to not give to shits that Midway never fixed the N64 port of Crusin yet Ridge Racer and Daytona HAD to put out patch releases, and I'm a guy who though the original Ridge Racer port was cool and would defend Ridge Racer to death against any arcade game and used to spin on BBS's that Ridge Racer was more popular than Mario Kart, and the only reason why MK64 sold was because there were only 5 games to play and the PSX had competition (which it didn't until Rave Racer came out) so in away, back in the 90's I acted very similar to you now, just not as stubborn. Also R4>All arcade racers in early 3D gen. I think Crusin is good at best and only for the arcade version. (maybe even with Arcade Daytona with second revision)

You're sidelining my SF/VF stuff again. You're bringing up Tekken...why? We're talking just Japan her

All the sales I posted before were from Japan, learn how to read and take the fanboy glasses off.

Tekken didn't start making major traction in Japan until the early-mid '00s.

I think you are going to have to realize you are now arguing false BS you know nothing about. Tekken 1 outsold VF 1 in Japan in arcades and on consoles. Which you brought up both, but are now backtracking to only the arcade. (You're the one that brought up 1:1 sales with the SATURN not me)

Tekken was the most popular fighting franchise in japan and that translated to the japanese consoles sales. VF1 sold 1:1 with that saturn but only sold 630k to Tekken 830k, and it was again, bigger in the arcades. VF2 outsold Tekken 2 with a price cut and bundles and then VF died on console and the arcade afterward to become an after thought more and more.

VF was successful in Japan but it wasn't bigger than Tekken in any category. Also on consoles the first Toshinden also outsold VF 1. VF2 wa the best performing virtual fighter on consoles and arcade, and the last tone to really be competitive.

We're speaking arcade here, and you have a horrible tendency of shifting your goalposts when your claims fall out of the bottom.

Except, as I said above, you brought up consoles for Virtua Fighter, specifically the Saturn. so you're moving the goal posts.

Here's is just one of your quotes bringing up consoles:

"Virtua Fighter in particular was for Saturn in Japan what Sonic was for Genesis/MegaDrive in the West. The first game basically sold 1 to 1 with the Saturn during launch, and the 2nd game did very strongly on the platform as well."

Here's another quote from you from the same post:

"Virtua Fighter continued to be a strong performer in Japan, it basically became the defacto fighting game IP there during the mid-to-late '90s, supplanting Street Fighter (and it was generally always more popular than Tekken in the region). "

And no, you're wrong. You know you're losing an argument when you have to lie about what you said previously in order to move the goal posts. Tekken was the bigger game. However VF was #2 until VF3 came out (Toshinden sales died after the first game.), then VF rapidly declined.

I will quote this, though, because it's maybe the most laughable part of your whole POV. You have zero understanding on game design, do you?

You are the ones that's a fool comparing dedicated gaming hardware that had to that point always been more powerful than any other gaming platform on the market since the 70's. Most arcade machines were always stronger than consoles.

YOUR argument was that because Sega had 3D arcade machines and Invested a lot of money into them, they knew which direction the console industry was going with the Saturn. They didn't if they did than why did they panic with the 32X to hold off the Jaguar and then panic again slapping additional hardware into the Saturn to make it's 3D more capable? We have the old Saturn specs it wasn't that strong until they added the hardware, SEGA did not expect that 3D would be as far as it was at that point, that's a ,fact.

You aren't thinking logically, just emotionally snapping at me for questioning your favorite gaming brand, if this was any other brand you'd be nodding your head.

Arcade games...are still video games. They're part of the industry. They are a sector of the industry. You don't get to disqualify them because of your own hangups, holy damn xD

Arcade industry was not part of the console industry and was always separated historically, you're lack of knowing basic gaming history is hilarious. Just like how gaming computers like the Amiga were also not part of the console gaming industry.

Anyway, moving on...hey dumbass, guess what? The Model 1...did inspire stuff.
You continue to slip in your desperation, the Model 1 didn't use Nv1, you said the first 3D accelerator card was a collab between Nvidia and Sega and was influential, the NV1 was not influential, it was a flop, and it wasn't in the model 1. Nothing about the model 1 had Nvidia involvement. It was mostly Sega own internal engineers with some Fujitsu help.

The NV1 also came out AFTER the Model 1. You clearly have no clue what you're saying and are losing your mind. Just for reference here is your quote so you don't be tempted to edit it:

"considering their Model series efforts inspired a lot of that same console and PC tech. Hell, the first ever PC 3D-accelerated graphics card was done in collab between Nvidia and SEGA. "

Sorry but instead of dismantling my argument your sabotaging yourself and making yourself look like an idiot.

at insinuating they reduced distribution to "barely any" or that it was done purely out of greed or spite or whatever's running around in that head.

Or the actual fact that they wanted to push the model 3 as much as possible, especially later to make up for the losses until they gave up and replaced it with the more powerful and cheaper Naomi and based a console off it to save costs. Since, you know, the Naomi was specifically designed to save costs.

Gameworks as a concept, as it was implemented in that time frame, was not a sustainable business model. It was potential R&D money that could've gone towards more Saturn software development, 3rd-party courting, and Dreamcast R&D (for things like a DVD drive). Pretty simple to deduce and see in hindsight though, I suppose.

I didn't say Gameworks was a success, I said without it the Model 3 likely would have lost more money. You're complicating a simple statement.

dismantle your points, that's all.

So far all you have done is lie, try to backtrack your own previous statements, lie about history, and thought that the Model 1 ran on the NV1, which came out after the Model 1. That's the opposite of dismantling unless you mean you're dismantling yourself.

I'm actually one of the most critical people about SEGA's business missteps over the years,

So much so you keep denying them?

He only named NBA Jam and MK after I mentioned them

I am the only person on this entire page that mentioned NBA Jam and was the first to mention MK, how much more do you need to lie? All your posts are quoted so you can't possibly get away with this, and if you edit your posts it'll tell us. Try using Crtrl-F if you are so drunk by fanboyism you forget what you typed.

They don't understand the economics that went into these things and in some ways still does (though modern games have much cheaper (relatively speaking) methods of distribution, never mind more)

I've never seen someone lie and sabotage themselves this badly in a long while.

Last edited:
Well that was a thrashing.

So with that, let's move back to the Amiga, and why they should make an Amiga mini so we can play Amiga games on our HDTV's. We had one for the C64 so I don't see why not.

When did I ever said I wouldn't admit SEGA made mistakes? I literally mentioned Gameworks as one of their mistakes. You're mentally deficient.

Also, why are you still derailing the thread? You could just make a new thread because last I checked, this is about the Amiga, not SEGA. If you want to exchange walls of text, we can do it in a proper thread or through messages. I'm actually here for Amiga-related discussions, you imbecilic amoeba.

Could you try staying on topic for more than five minutes or is the ADHD too strong in you? You wanna talk SEGA? Make a thread. Or hell, I'll do it at this point whenever I have the free time. Your drivel is nonsense at this point xD.

You aren't thinking logically, just emotionally snapping at me for questioning your favorite gaming brand, if this was any other brand you'd be nodding your head.

So because one brand may be a favorite of mine (they're not even my biggest favorite; in terms of retro systems that'd probably go to the PS1), I...can't be level-headed with others? Why are you operating on this stupid concept of exclusivity? Unlike you, I'm an actual fan of the hobby and the various vendors. I may have my preferences but I don't let bullshit slide in regards to any of them, but I sure do love to do my research to get a more accurate picture on how all the pieces actually fit together.

You're the one here who has a weird hate-boner; you've derailed the thread multiple times and have a vendetta against myself in particular because I won't bow down and suck off your e-dick on this topic. Well, sorry, I'm not into that kind of stuff but more power to 'ya if you are xD.

I'll let people get back to discussing the Amiga because they deserve that respect, plus I wouldn't mind learning more about the platform myself. Think you can have any decency and keep things on-topic or is the impulse going to take over again?

Don't worry, we can discuss this at a later time whenever a thread focused on the topic pops up. Actually, I've written some stuff on SEGA's exit from a platform holder a good while ago. Gonna shape it up and make a thread sometime in the near future. And don't worry; I didn't say ALL your points were bogus (though you're pushing them in an oddly confrontational/spiteful way it seems, like you have unresolved prior history with the brand or its fans, whatever). I'll take them into account and frame them better than you ever could though 🤷‍♂️

they should make an Amiga mini so we can play Amiga games on our HDTV's. We had one for the C64 so I don't see why not.

The C64 one hasn't done particularly well in critical reception, dunno how it's done in sales. Also I personally have no idea who owns Amiga these days. Are they not a public listing and have been for a while?

An official Amiga mini will probably not happen for a long, LONG time, but maybe a fan effort could come about.

Last edited:
When did I ever said I wouldn't admit SEGA made mistakes? I literally mentioned Gameworks as one of their mistakes.

You argued with me over mistakes they made that you won't admit. Have you noticed each time you screw up you try moving the goal posts or won't address the point that call you out? You don't even direct quote me so I get an alert. .

Also, why are you still derailing the thread?

It's my thread, either address the lies in your last post or concede. Let's start with your Nvidia/Sega Model nonsense and work are way down.

Could you try staying on topic for more than five minutes or is the ADHD too strong in you?

We have consistently been talking about Sega for multiple posts in a row this is a very sad and childish way to try to get out of failing an argument.

So because one brand may be a favorite of mine (they're not even my biggest favorite; in terms of retro systems that'd probably go to the PS1), I...can't be level-headed with others?

Stop deflecting and address your shitty post full of lies and name calling with fake historical facts like the Model 1 was using an NV1.

I'll let people get back to discussing the Amiga because they deserve that respect,

In reality you're a sad piece of shit that got owned and made up a bunch of lies and fake stats and instead of addressing your screw ups you went from directly quoting me to not directly quoting me at all so I don't get alerts, you made dumb claims, and also resorted to name calling and mental breakdowns.

If this is the way you want to exit the thread go ahead, but all your posts are quoted so you can't edit them to try and salvage your shit argument.

I'll take them into account and frame them better than you ever could though 🤷‍♂️

it seems you decided to run like a 3 year old girl after getting caught in a bunch of lies and intentionally misquoting my posts. Poor guy.

So you lie, misquote me, pretend you didn't make statements you did state (like bringing up consoles then lying saying you were only talking about arcades) lie about things you did say (saying I only mentioned NBA Jam because you mentioned it first which was a lie), lied about history multiple times, the best being that the NV1 chip somehow powered the model 1 when it released after the Model 1 fist came out. etc. etc.

Now you make a pointless vague response post without direct quoting me at least once so I get an alert thinking you can slide out of the thread after being caught being an idiot.

Well, you basically said you give up so I'll chalk this up as a win, all the posts are visible to everyone, that last one broke down all your lies with your own quotes all in one place, a good area to end on so everyone knows you trash and can't argue. Mission accomplished., I'm assuming your mission was to lose as badly as possible?

Anyway I'll just close up this topic. Although the Model 1 running the Nv1 was the funniest part of this discussion, you really don't know anything do you. Lol "Nividia and Sega collaborated for an influential 3D accelerator" you're a funny guy, also a liar, but a funny guy. People o the Sega boards are enjoying this thread.

;)

Last edited:
I...didn't say I give up, Afro Republican. I said I'm interested in making a future thread piecing together things about SEGA in particular as I've looked into it over time. But I'm not doing that in Amiga thread because an Amiga thread should focus on the Amiga. 'Ya know, cuz I like, actually respect a thread sticking to its central topic.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself tho dude, sure sure 🤣

Commodores biggest mess up was losing the American market which they had good share in with the C64.

Atari had the advantage which is hilarious considering how much retailers hated Atari, but Jack Tramiel put a lot of money on the ST. Atari Corp even brought Federated and opened their own retail stores, though that would hurt the ST later on. I understand why they did it, to have an "Atari store" where you can get your Atari PC, your Atari 7800/XEGS consoles, your accessories and software, etc.

But that not only made retailers mad, but computer specific stores were already and overcrowded thing back then. If Atari Corp brought Atari games and made it a computer store/Arcade hang-on spot that might have caught on much better.

Still Commodore in comparison just made to many mistakes. It's funny when you think about it since many people did think Commodore was a European company when it was an American one. They still do today.

If Commodore had better shelf-space then maybe they could have put out a lot of CD32's to be sold, it actually was selling in Europe and in some places outselling the Mega Drive.

If only the CD32 replaced the CDTV in the early 90's.

If Commodore had better shelf-space then maybe they could have put out a lot of CD32's to be sold, it actually was selling in Europe and in some places outselling the Mega Drive.

This is an example of your FUD, Afro. Sources that can be found peg it to outselling the MegaCD, Philips-CDi and PC-CD ROM in some regions, but there are no sources claiming it outselling MegaDrive in given regions. For example, sales of the CD32 in Germany are estimated at around 25,000.

Wikipedia Mention:

In the Christmas period following its launch, the CD32 accounted for 38% of all CD-ROM drive sales in the UK, exceeding sales of the Mega-CD;

AmigaHistory Mention (citing German sales figures for CD32)

Amiga CD3225,000

Meanwhile in Germany (via Wikipedia listing):

SegaMega DriveNovember 30, 1990
800,000[58]
<March 1995

Is there another European region you're referring to? (If you were talking SNES I could probably take the claim at face value; SNES outsold MegaDrive in some European countries).

If only the CD32 replaced the CDTV in the early 90's.

They would've had to delay the CD32 by a year off the CDTV's release since the Amiga 1200 the 32 is based on didn't release until a year after the CDTV's debut.

It's arguable if the company was in a position to release the CD32 in '92 vs '93 considering it would have costed more at release and might've lacked the Akiko chip (Commodore may not have had the time to consider implementation of such a chip since the misstep with the CDTV would not have been there to inform them, so the CD32 would've been more like an exact copy of the Amiga 1200, possibly costed more, or cut out features and specifications from the 1200 line to make it priced similar to its cost in 1993, but that would have introduced other problems).

This is an example of your FUD, Afro. Sources that can be found peg it to outselling the MegaCD, Philips-CDi and PC-CD ROM in some regions, but there are no sources claiming it outselling MegaDrive in given regions. For example, sales of the CD32 in Germany are estimated at around 25,000..

Meanwhile in Germany (via Wikipedia listing):

The only person who has said any FUD in this thread is you, lying about saying you talked about NBA JAM first (Lol), saying dumb things like a 1995 Nvidia chip powering an arcade machine that came out before 1991 (Sega model 1) you're full of shit.

You also can't read, I said "outselling" the mega drive not "outsold" the Mega drive, yes the CD32 was OUTSELLING the Mega Drive when it came out in the parts of Europe it sold well in. In fact even you said "outselling" but then posted a wiki article (which is dumb) about the 800,000 LTD of the MD, so you aren't even paying attention to what your typing.

The CD32 was the fast selling system out in Europe when it first released (certainly wasn't the Jaguar or 3DO since Europe was much more price conscious, and the Jaguar had basically no stock.) and sold good figures for it's short time, and yes it was "outselling the Mega Drive" I never said "outsold" try keeping up with the rest of the class.

You didn't prove anything other than you spinning semantics and having poor reading comprehension. I still need a source on the Sega Model 1 running on the NV1 btw. lolololololol..

They would've had to delay the CD32 by a year off the CDTV's release since the Amiga 1200 the 32 is based on didn't release until a year after the CDTV's debut.

Eh, no they wouldn't. The point was they could have done it with the Amiga 500 which was stronger than the Genesis, since the CDTV, which was based off the 500 btw, was insanely expensive and also wasn't just a gaming focused machine,it was literally a full computer in a console shell mixed with some Set-Box top features.

Even then, they still could have put out a gaming machine based of the Amiga 1200 if they wanted to since the gaming part of it was finished in 1991 which is all they would have needed, and all they would have had to do is make it TV compatible. The only thing that would change is that it wouldn't be able to become a computer like the current CD32 since that part of the 1200 wouldn't be finished for a few more months.

But of course, it wouldn't need to do that since they already had the Amiga 500 and the CD drives. Biggest issue with Current commodore is outside of the CDTV they took awhile to really make CD standard and didn't do a thing to help move game developers to CD, which is why half the current CD32 library includes poor ports of old games with only enhanced music and some more colors being the difference.

But if they were to make a cheaper, gamer focused device instead of the CDTV we got, that may have changed the game and would have given Commodore more time to actually move developers to CD.

might've lacked the Akiko chip (Commodore may not have had the time to consider implementation of such a chip since the misstep with the CDTV would not have been there to inform them, so the CD32 would've been more like an exact copy of the Amiga 1200, possibly costed more, or cut out features and specifications from the 1200 line to make it priced similar to its cost in 1993, but that would have introduced other problems).

They wouldn't need the Akiko chip, that was done in for the CD32 in response of people having no reason to buy a CDTV because of the price, and could play the same software on an Amiga for cheaper.

The Amiga 500 was $399 and would become $299 by the holidays in 1991, the separate CD drives would start coming out in 1992, so why would you pay $1000 ($800 later in 1992) for a CDTV when you could get an Amiga and a CD Drive for a lot cheaper? Especially for 500 buyers, you only had to wait a year for the CD CD-drive after the CDTV came out, and it had an outdated OS, and the CDTV didn't have Amiga branding.

If they had a $399 console (or less preferably) which had the upgraded Amiga 500 specs and built-in CD drive, it would make more sense to buy that then to pay money for an Amiga computer and separate CD-drive when you can just plug & play.

If Commodore put out a cheap gaming focused machine at the start, they would have had a CD-based 500 that would be much cheaper than the computer itself that would focus on games and TV play. The CDTV as we have it now, was after the CD-i Market, which had a lot more partners and was much more successful, which is funny when you think about it.

The issue is the Amiga didn't start getting any of it's most popular games until 1991 and after, so what games would this Amiga console have in 1991 that would entice gamers to skip their SNES and Mega Drives? I can't think of any significant Amiga games before 1991, not even 1990.

Before then most Amiga games were shitty ST ports with few superior or original titles, the ST was also still ahead by that point as well if not mistaken.

I looked through the game list, and outside of ST ports, the Amiga had some bad Sega ports, some upgraded 8-bit NES ports like Bad Dudes, R-type, and Double Dragon, and games like Chuckle Egg, Mickey Mouse X-mas surprise, Pac-land, and other outdated games that would have no business in a 1991 gaming console competing with the Mega Drive and the Super Nintendo.

The only games I can see before 1991 that may be appealing are Elite, Shadow of the Beast, Monkey Island (which was 1990) and Xenon 2. Almost everything else came out after 1990.

Another World, Flash Back, Chaos Engine, Lemmings, Turrican 2, most of the fighting games, Canon fodder, and so on where all 1991-1994.

What is this 1991 console launching with? I'm going to put away my $99 Mega Drive and avoid buying my $150 SNES to spend $400 to play fucking Pac-land, Double Dragon and BAD DUDES? The games I already have on my NES and 7800? Or shit ports of Mega Drive titles, a machine I could by for $99 or less?

Oh wait, they have CD audio. Oh wait, no they don't because the devs would be lazy and just clean up the original beep audio and add 3 more colors to each sprite.

Only $400? Sign me up to get ripped off.

I know people like the Amiga, but it really didn't have any real major titles for most of its life and was a dumping ground for experiments and indies testing their skills. To think that they could have made a successful consoles before the few good games it had released is delusional.

The CD32 was released in 1993 because that was when the Amiga finally had enough quality titles for a console to work.

The CD TV shows us what the Amiga library was like in 1991. What was the most impressive game on the CD TV? Town with no name? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sign me up stranger!

When I was at school our youth club had a amiga 500 and it seemed mysterious and exotic to me.

I eventually got a CD32 and convinced my mates to do the same (boy were they mad when they stopped making them months later) but I loved it.

The crazy price is the only thing preventing me picking up another one nowadays

Man utd premier league champions was amazing and even better than sensible soccer

Havoc2049

Commodore going the console route wasn’t a winning strategy IMO, as they had no internal game development or internal back catalog of games to build on. It made sense for Atari, but Atari didn’t have enough money to properly support and launch a modern console by the time the Jaguar came out.

The Amiga, PC and Atari ST had a bunch of great games prior to 1991, but they were more for the computer gaming crowd.

-The first two games in the Ultima Age if Enlightenment Trilogy: Ultima IV & Ultima V
-Sid Meier’s Pirates
-Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back
-Tons of Infocom text adventures and a few graphic RPGs and adventure games
-The early Psygnosis action/adventure and shooter games
-A handful of Lucasfilm Games adventure and simulation games
-The Phantasie Trilogy
-The Microprose simulations like F-15, Silent Service and F-19
- The Cinemaware graphic adventure games
-The first couple of the AD&D Goldbox RPGs by SSI
-Carrier Command
-Elite
-A few classic Activision graphic adventure games
-The Shadowrun, Deja Vu and Uninvited adventure games
-A ton of SSI RPGs and strategy games
-A ton of classic Sierra adventure
games
-The Wizardry RPGs (although the ST saw none of these)
-Flight Simulator II

Last edited:
Any sources for this?

He has none, or he would've done so when quoting me. He insists outselling as in, a given time range after the system was first released, in certain territories.

Which is possibly true, given it was a new platform launching at that time. Even the Wii U was outselling 360 and PS3 for a few weeks when it was brand new. But in the context of console sales when most think of "outselling" they think of a time range of a few months at least, like when N64 was outselling PS1 in America for a few months following its launch.

But he isn't pulling up any sources to verify the claim (like the vast majority of theirs); they should've just said Mega CD because the CDTV did outsell that across at least many European territories.

Commodore going the console route wasn’t a winning strategy IMO, as they had no internal game development or internal back catalog of games to build on. It made sense for Atari, but Atari didn’t have enough money to properly support and launch a modern console by the time the Jaguar came out.

The Amiga, PC and Atari ST had a bunch of great games prior to 1991, but they were more for the computer gaming crowd.

-The first two games in the Ultima Age if Enlightenment Trilogy: Ultima IV & Ultima V
-Sid Meier’s Pirates
-Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back
-Tons of Infocom text adventures and a few graphic RPGs and adventure games
-The early Psygnosis action/adventure and shooter games
-A handful of Lucasfilm Games adventure and simulation games
-The Phantasie Trilogy
-The Microprose simulations like F-15, Silent Service and F-19
- The Cinemaware graphic adventure games
-The first couple of the AD&D Goldbox RPGs by SSI
-Carrier Command
-Elite
-A few classic Activision graphic adventure games
-The Shadowrun, Deja Vu and Uninvited adventure games
-A ton of SSI RPGs and strategy games
-A ton of classic Sierra adventure
games
-The Wizardry RPGs (although the ST saw none of these)
-Flight Simulator II

TBF at the time of the early '90s Atari didn't have much of internal dev teams, either (the console side, anyway). Hardware like the Lynx were done by external teams that Atari then arranged partnerships with, but Atari themselves did very little R&D on them internally. Most of the notable games for Jaguar, like AvP and Tempest 2000, were contractual gigs with 3rd parties (as 2nd-party contract releases, I suppose).

Commodore could've possibly roped up deals with people like the Turrican team, I think. Anyhow...that's a pretty dang impressive list but you're right, it would've been a hard sell for some of those to console gamer tastes at the time.

Top Bottom