• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Amiga stood the test of time?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You bet.

I played a few X86000 arcade ports and compared to the Amiga they are night and day. Some of them are so close to the arcade versions that i could be fooled i'm playing on MAME instead of a X86000 emulator. Take Bubble Bobble for instance. It's a 1:1 arcade perfect port, only difference being the sound having even better quality on the X86000 i think. Meanwhile, the Amiga version is an inferior port that has no place in a 16bit machine, i mean even the Master System version was better. And Street Fighter 2? Yeah, i don't even want to mention how bad this port is on the Amiga. X86000 is graphically almost perfect, though the sound is a bit lacking.

And it's not like the Amiga wasn't capable of good arcade ports. It did have a superb port of Toki for instance. I think the Amiga was just plagued by many janky, low production values, small team developers handling ports.

A lot of the early releases were ST ports at a time when the ST was a long way from being fully exploited (a lot of early stuff wouldn't look hugely out of place on a C64 tbh) but as the Amiga became the dominant home gaming computer developers started to create games targetting its capabilities more. The issue with those early arcade ports is simply that they were early and developers hadn't yet got to grips with what they could do with the system.

When I was a kid, I knew a few people who had an Amiga 500.
Back then, I loved games like Shadow of the Beast (I and II), Gods and Rick Dangerous.
Would I still love playing those games today or would they feel very dated? I suspect the later.

You bet.

I played a few X86000 arcade ports and compared to the Amiga they are night and day. Some of them are so close to the arcade versions that i could be fooled i'm playing on MAME instead of a X86000 emulator. Take Bubble Bobble for instance. It's a 1:1 arcade perfect port, only difference being the sound having even better quality on the X86000 i think. Meanwhile, the Amiga version is an inferior port that has no place in a 16bit machine, i mean even the Master System version was better. And Street Fighter 2? Yeah, i don't even want to mention how bad this port is on the Amiga. X86000 is graphically almost perfect, though the sound is a bit lacking.

And it's not like the Amiga wasn't capable of good arcade ports. It did have a superb port of Toki for instance. I think the Amiga was just plagued by many janky, low production values, small team developers handling ports.

It's not really fair mind. Looking over the vast differences in price between an Amiga 500/600 to X86000 (more than the price difference between a Neo Geo and Mega Drive)
One needs to factor in that most of the teams handling the Amiga Arcade ports were like 2 staff with no access to the source code and had to go on videotapes of the game being played. The Amiga was and still is a fantastic system, such a shame the Japanese do what they do best and shun Western gaming systems (other than the 3DO LOL)

sunnysideup

Banned
Lots of new games/demos are being released to classic amiga. It is not up there with c64, yet. But its fucking getting there.

Amiga 1200:

rygar aga

reshoot r

Amiga 500:

Scourge of the underkind

Metro siege

Power glove

Demos:

amiga 500:

eon

the fall

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Back then, I loved games like Shadow of the Beast (I and II), Gods and Rick Dangerous.
Would I still love playing those games today or would they feel very dated? I suspect the later.

Gods and Shadow Of The Beast were both games that were all about looks - very impressive for the time, but gameplay was perhaps a tad shallow. Rick Dangerous was however fantastic and you should go back to it and enjoy it. If you do like it, check out Entombed on the Atari ST as well while you're at it (came free with ST Format weirdly, no commercial release). I still play Amiga games and have a blast with them. Great gameplay doesn't date and they'd got quality of life stuff for 2D games to a pretty good state by then - and with modern emulators allowing save states I'd say we have it even better now.

nkarafo

It's not really fair mind. Looking over the vast differences in price between an Amiga 500/600 to X86000 (more than the price difference between a Neo Geo and Mega Drive)
Fair enough. But if we are going to use the Amiga 500 as the standard of the conversation then we might also cut back the usual "state of the art" or "ahead of it's time" comments in Amiga gaming threads because these are statements about the Amiga 1000 workstation released in 1985, not the later, cheaper models that got released in 1987. The original Amiga was more expensive than the X86000 and being state of the art was part of the deal you paid for. Plus very few (if any) bought that system to play games. The Amiga did not become the gaming system everyone talks about, before the release of the 500 model 2 years later. For all we know they are two separate, different systems that just happen to share the base hardware and are mostly compatible.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But if we are going to use the Amiga 500 as the standard of the conversation then we might also cut back the usual "state of the art" or "ahead of it's time" comments in Amiga gaming threads because these are statements about the Amiga 1000 workstation, not the later, cheaper models. The original Amiga was more expensive than the X86000 and being state of the art was part of the deal you paid for. Plus very few (if any) bought that system to play games. The Amiga did not become the gaming system everyone talks about, before the release of the 500 model 2 years later. For all we know they are two separate, different systems that just happen to share the base hardware and are mostly compatible.

Well even in 1987 the Amiga 500 was really state of the art and it was way cheaper than an X8600.

nkarafo

Well even in 1987 the Amiga 500 was really state of the art and it was way cheaper than an X8600.
Not really. A state of the art hardware in 1985 doesn't keep that title in 1987. Just the same year the PC Engine was released and that was even cheaper and smaller and had the Amiga beat when it comes to gaming capabilities other than high resolution still images. You can't just beat a "state of the art" hardware with a tiny, cheap console. But i agree that, as far as gaming systems go, the Amiga 500 was the most powerful for a few months before the PC Engine.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
When I was a teen back in the 90’s . me and my mates went to Sainsbury’s saver centre and got personalised key rings made. Mine said Nintendo beats Amiga (did it to wind my Amiga owning friend up)

still have it somewhere.

Edit : on topic bitmap brothers were gods in the Amiga

and team 17

Last edited:
Not really. A state of the art hardware in 1985 doesn't keep that title in 1987. Just the same year the PC Engine was released and that was even cheaper and smaller and had the Amiga beat when it comes to gaming capabilities other than high resolution still images. You can't just beat a "state of the art" hardware with a tiny, cheap console. But i agree that, as far as gaming systems go, the Amiga 500 was the most powerful for a few months before the PC Engine.

The Amiga was pretty state of the Art and I don't agree the PC engine had the Amiga beat. To me, the Amiga had the better sound system the blitter chip was better for parallax scrolling and the Amiga could so some fine 3D polygons when asked.
All system have pros and cons. I've always been a fan of the Amiga myself :)

CD Project Red has roots in Amiga scene...
Source?

They were always a PC-focused studio AFAIK.

There's no reference here:

Most proficient (aka low-level) coders have roots in the home computer/Demoscene era (Atari ST, Amiga etc.) and this tradition continues to this very day on modern consoles.

silentstorm

Gods and Shadow Of The Beast were both games that were all about looks - very impressive for the time, but gameplay was perhaps a tad shallow. Rick Dangerous was however fantastic and you should go back to it and enjoy it.
Wasn't Rick Dangerous a game the developer was ashamed of though?

I recall hearing that in an interview, the guy in charge of the game didn't like it and swore that if he could come back in time he would completely change the game because he felt it aged horribly, something about really cheap deaths and lots of memorization required to beat the game.

It was mostly done to make the game harder, but if i recall the Retro Gamer magazine i read a long time ago, he thinks it just makes the game really not that fun to play, then again, a lot of artists or people who work on various projects tend to hate their own creations while everyone else loves it, so maybe this is one of these cases where the game is good but the designer just can't help but hate it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Rick Dangerous a game the developer was ashamed of though?

I recall hearing that in an interview, the guy in charge of the game didn't like it and swore that if he could come back in time he would completely change the game because he felt it aged horribly, something about really cheap deaths and lots of memorization required to beat the game.

It was mostly done to make the game harder, but if i recall the Retro Gamer magazine i read a long time ago, he thinks it just makes the game really not that fun to play, then again, a lot of artists or people who work on various projects tend to hate their own creations while everyone else loves it, so maybe this is one of these cases where the game is good but the designer just can't help but hate it.

He may well hate it, and it's true that the game does suffer from flip-screen-itis, but it's still a wonderful game. The art style is an absolute joy too.

I meant the CDTV. Despite my mistake, you're still full of shit.

Oh please list these best selling Amiga titles that don't exist that were killer apps. Or are you the one full of shit?

You literally can’t read. Take your console warring somewhere else.

Your accusing me of not reading yet you think I am console warring yet we aren't talking about console nor am I pushing anything superior to the Amiga.

it must really hate Amiga fans their favorite computer was run but crazies.

Not to mention everything I said was right, one guy thought the CD-i was from Commodore (lol) and now you are pretending you didn't say the gap was small between a stock Amiga pre1200 and an ST. Crazy town.

You bet.

Thing about it is, the X68000 (you said X68000 by accident) was expensive, and you could upgrade your Amiga to be better than the X68000 and it would still cost less.

One thing it had over even upgraded Amigas though is they treated it more like a game machine and had developers actually try taking advantage of the hardware so you didn't see a lot of games that were slapped together on it.

Thing is that even in Japan it wasn't touching NEC or MSX it was a niche machine, but you can get them on some online stores for decent prices now. Something to look at.

Birdo

Banned
This thread is like being back at school in the 90’s

We just need to start swapping blank floppy disks around and spending hours looking at this:

XCopy-screenshot-sort-of!.jpg

One needs to factor in that most of the teams handling the Amiga Arcade ports were like 2 staff with no access to the source code and had to go on videotapes of the game being played. The Amiga was and still is a fantastic system, such a shame the Japanese do what they do best and shun Western gaming systems (other than the 3DO LOL)

Well the 3DO lost that crown to the 360. Also considering the amount of gems in it's 400 game library the 3DO is a pretty good system so i wouldn't laugh at that machine.If it launched cheaper initially we probably be playing 3DO4's right now.

But there's an explanation why ST and Amiga didn't do well in Japan and that's because by the 90's the computer industry in japan was rapidly dying and the bigger Japanese companies left basically controlled what retail was left. There's no way they would have been able to convince developers or even customers to throw their money on a computer at this time.

Maybe if ST and Amiga has world wide launches in the mid 80's they might have had a chance, but then there would be crazy local competition, people forget Japan had a big computer scene first before consoles took off starting with the Famicom, and the Famicom got ports of PC games, iirc Dragon Quest 1 was a computer game first.

Fair enough. But if we are going to use the Amiga 500 as the standard of the conversation then we might also cut back the usual "state of the art" or "ahead of it's time" comments in Amiga gaming threads because these are statements about the Amiga 1000 workstation released in 1985, not the later, cheaper models that got released in 1987. The original Amiga was more expensive than the X86000 and being state of the art was part of the deal you paid for. Plus very few (if any) bought that system to play games. The Amiga did not become the gaming system everyone talks about, before the release of the 500 model 2 years later. For all we know they are two separate, different systems that just happen to share the base hardware and are mostly compatible.

One of the biggest reasons why it was hard to move devs to the 1200/CD Amiga hardware and why you kept getting Genny tier games releasing for years is that the 500 was so popular as a gaming device (especially as it dropped in price) that a lot of developers used that as the base of development.

The 500 is what most people owned, even after Commodore tried to replace it with the 1200.

The Amiga was pretty state of the Art and I don't agree the PC engine had the Amiga beat. To me, the Amiga had the better sound system the blitter chip was better for parallax scrolling and the Amiga could so some fine 3D polygons when asked.
All system have pros and cons. I've always been a fan of the Amiga myself :)

Not quite, it was better than the PC Engine(stock), but the Amiga 500 was not better than the Genesis and would have to cut in one area to try and match it in another.

The Amiga 500 64 color mode cuts the CPU significantly and makes sprite drawing slow which means you can't have the fast moving sprites you see in games like After Burner or Gunstar in that mode, this includes having a large quantity of sprites on screen moving which slows things down even more.

Parallax could only have 7 colors per layer.

If you wanted fast fluid and graphically impressive sprite games you weren't getting it on the 500 in most cases, and if you did it was a mess or extremely stripped down.

After Burner II Amiga (Skip to 2:11):

After Burner II Genesis:

The 500 is too slow. Wouldn't really say it's state of the art until up upgrade your 500, but a stock 500? Ehh.

TriSuit666

Banned
OP is a l4mer. Go back to your drecky ST, n00b.

Also, Afterburner 2 on the Amiga is an Atari ST port, no wonder it was shite.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's fair to compare Amiga 500 with Genesis/SNES, since those consoles came much later and back then the semiconductor industry was faster-paced than today (in regards to Moore's Law).

Amiga with its exotic chipsets reminds me of Cell and shoddy PS3 ports. Not indicative of the hardware capabilities.

Depends on the developer.

This is Stardust running on a regular A500:

^ From the exact same studio that delivered Super Stardust HD on PS3 and Resogun on PS4 (yes, with that shitty Jaguar CPU)!

It's not a coincidence, it's Demoscene (low-level coding/assembly) power to the max! ;)

SNES had only the Mario advantage and not much more than that. Mega Drive was a joke.

Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 2 and 3, World of Illusion, Aladdin....bruh WAT? You need to go get some fresh blood.

And SNES only had Mario over Amiga? :LOL: There wasn't a single other system that gen with the quantity of top-tier JRPGs SNES had (closest was MegaDrive but for every A+ JRPG it had SNES had like 3).

But to the thread in general...I kinda hate these "stood the test of time" questions. The games and hardware never changed, WE did. When you got generations of idiots willingly buying up lootboxes and getting microtransaction'd up the ass, eating up some of the cheap drivel marketed like the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, and going hype over the same reskinned franchise games year over year, can you really say we as gamers have changed for the better?

TriSuit666

Banned
If the question is 'has it stood the test of time' relates to the community that is around the Amiga, then the answer is surely a cast-iron YES!

Companies producing new hardware for it, new games released, a vibrant community that still meets up for hardware parties, etc, etc.

I agree, these kinds of questions are lazily thrown out to build up thread cred without any shred of research of how the current scene is.

It's a bit like asking 'Has the Feranti F1 punched card reader stood the test of time?'

DrCheese

Pretty much the subject of one of my favourite reddit posts - Guy buys an old Amiga from his childhood and spends a pretty penny upgrading it - Sells it a few months later because it's just not the same

tbh it's the same with a lot of old emulators/games - Apart from a few timeless classics older games just don't hold you anymore.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind getting an old Amiga myself to remind me of my youth, but I'm not goiung to blow insane cash buying one. That and I live in the UK with our shoebox houses so don't really have the space to leave one setup.

Collz69

I bought an A1200 a few years ago and went down the CF card route, it was the dream machine I couldn’t afford back in the day (like the Reddit poster) I too enjoyed all the nostalgia but the world had moved on and so had I, it wasn’t long before it started gathering dust, in the end I sold it, a few months later I checked in my inbox of my old email address and there was a message from the guy I bought it from (I picked it up 30 miles from house) begging me to sell it back to him as he was missing it and regretted it.

petran79

Banned
Pretty much the subject of one of my favourite reddit posts - Guy buys an old Amiga from his childhood and spends a pretty penny upgrading it - Sells it a few months later because it's just not the same

tbh it's the same with a lot of old emulators/games - Apart from a few timeless classics older games just don't hold you anymore.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind getting an old Amiga myself to remind me of my youth, but I'm not goiung to blow insane cash buying one. That and I live in the UK with our shoebox houses so don't really have the space to leave one setup.

Tbh the fun of the Amiga was inviting your siblings, friends, schoolmates and watching or playing games together. Playing games alone is always a boring experience no matter the hardware and set-up.
I remember similarly the fun we had playing games on my friends 8088 and green monochrome monitor and 5 fps

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. Honestly your post is littered with inaccuracies which would take a very long time to go through, you make so many assumptions about what people are saying (mostly wrong) that it's really quite exhausting to wade into your wall of incorrect text. I'll leave you to your delusions because honestly it's a dead-cert that no matter how right anyone else is you'll be there going...

DpQ9YJl.png

Tbh the fun of the Amiga was inviting your siblings, friends, schoolmates and watching or playing games together. Playing games alone is always a boring experience no matter the hardware and set-up.
I remember similarly the fun we had playing games on my friends 8088 and green monochrome monitor and 5 fps
Agreed. We're social species, so it totally makes sense.

I think online MP and party chat tries to emulate that experience. It may not be for everyone, but when you're an adult with a job, wife, kids, it's hard to do real-life gatherings. A substitute is better than nothing.

Thanati

As many here probably know, the Amiga is my favorite machine, ever. I’m not going to call it a console, because it’s not.
It had an incredible library of titles and the things like Lightwave were incredible.

Unfortunately, Commodore really fucked up and got greedy and just couldn’t keep up with the times. The A1200, while beautiful, wasn’t nearly enough to keep up with the PC’s that were coming out. The DX2 chips were being churned out monthly with increased clock speeds it seemed. The AGA chipset just wasn’t god enough, as was the 68030 CPU.

However, what was amazing about the Amiga day of age was the ability to cross-play with the ST. My cousin and I played SO many rounds of Populous :)

Does it stand the test of time? Sure. The games are still fun (I still haven’t played a sports game as fun as Speedball 2) but I often wonder how things would be now if the Amiga was still a powerhouse. OS4 is nice but who develops for it?

I still love it and always will :)

Havoc2049

I enjoy playing retro games, so yes, I think the Amiga and computer games from the 1985 to 1993 era are still fun to play to this day.

The Amiga and ST platforms were great cutting edge home/business computers from about 1985 to 1990, but once the more beefy PC's and Macs came on board with more memory, faster processors, VGA graphics and sound cards and since neither Commodore or Atari did enough to hit critical mass in the education or business markets, they were on borrowed time after 1990. The AGA chipset and STE/TT/Falcon were all too little and too late.

I'm from America and we had a different taste in games. Computer gaming and console gaming never really existed in the same sphere back then. Console games ported to computer were usually crap and computer games ported to consoles were usually crap. It did seem like some Euro developers were trying to capture the console crowd with character platformers like Rainbow Island, Dizzy, Zool and a few others.

I was an ST owner, but I would go to my friends house and play stuff that wasn't on the ST, like all the SSI AD&D Gold Box games (ST only got a few and Eye of the Beholder and Dragon Strike were sick on the Amiga), Madden Football (first 16-bit version was on the Amiga), Alien Breed series, Desert Strike, Earl Weaver Baseball (system seller EA computer sports game in America), Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (ST only got Battlehawks 1942 and Their Finest Hour), and a few other that I can't think of right now. Good times.

I loved all the great CRPGs, adventure games, strategy war games, early RTS, god games and simulations back then, stuff that you rarely found on consoles.

The Amiga 1200 could run a decent copy of quake:

No matter id you like it or not, if you were purely a gaming fanatic between 1987-1993 and wanted a computer the Amiga was the best choice for most games until Windows 95.

With enhancements it even beat the X68000 after the 80's. These days it's cheaper to buy TV shells of Amiga computers so you have more of a plug & play experience so it's not as expensive today as it was back then.

By the time Quake was released, Commodore was already dead and gone. It wasn't till years later that hobbyist got games like Quake to run at a decent frame rate on HIGHLY modified Amiga 1200/4000 computers. I was an 1040STE owner at the time, but I had a few friends who had Amigas and I remember playing Alien Breed 3D on my friends Amiga 4000 and thought it was pretty cool and a fun game. It was no where near as impressive looking or as fast as games like Doom/Doom II on the PC though.

Alien Breed 3D
Alien_Breed_3D_Amiga_06.png

petran79

Banned
I enjoy playing retro games, so yes, I think the Amiga and computer games from the 1985 to 1993 era are still fun to play to this day.

The Amiga and ST platforms were great cutting edge home/business computers from about 1985 to 1990, but once the more beefy PC's and Macs came on board with more memory, faster processors, VGA graphics and sound cards and since neither Commodore or Atari did enough to hit critical mass in the education or business markets, they were on borrowed time after 1990. The AGA chipset and STE/TT/Falcon were all too little and too late.

In the mid-90s I had visited some relatives and an uncle of mine was a DJ at some local radio station and he was still using AtariST set-up for his music. He even showed me a live demo. It was titled "Last breath". He took the mic and recorded his breath and with the magic of a midi controller keyboard and software he made a beat song about someone's last breathing moments while dying.
This was one of the coolest things I had seen with computers in my life.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Nah. Weak ass exclusives.

The only systems that really had amazing exclusives were probably the SNES, Genesis, Saturn, and N64.

Arcade emulation, which basically cancels out almost every arcade port from the NES days through the PS2, has revealed the true strength of console libraries, and the results are that most consoles blow a lot of cock.

Well the 3DO lost that crown to the 360. Also considering the amount of gems in it's 400 game library the 3DO is a pretty good system so i wouldn't laugh at that machine.If it launched cheaper initially we probably be playing 3DO4's right now.

But there's an explanation why ST and Amiga didn't do well in Japan and that's because by the 90's the computer industry in japan was rapidly dying and the bigger Japanese companies left basically controlled what retail was left. There's no way they would have been able to convince developers or even customers to throw their money on a computer at this time.

Maybe if ST and Amiga has world wide launches in the mid 80's they might have had a chance, but then there would be crazy local competition, people forget Japan had a big computer scene first before consoles took off starting with the Famicom, and the Famicom got ports of PC games, iirc Dragon Quest 1 was a computer game first.

One of the biggest reasons why it was hard to move devs to the 1200/CD Amiga hardware and why you kept getting Genny tier games releasing for years is that the 500 was so popular as a gaming device (especially as it dropped in price) that a lot of developers used that as the base of development.

The 500 is what most people owned, even after Commodore tried to replace it with the 1200.

Not quite, it was better than the PC Engine(stock), but the Amiga 500 was not better than the Genesis and would have to cut in one area to try and match it in another.

The Amiga 500 64 color mode cuts the CPU significantly and makes sprite drawing slow which means you can't have the fast moving sprites you see in games like After Burner or Gunstar in that mode, this includes having a large quantity of sprites on screen moving which slows things down even more.

Parallax could only have 7 colors per layer.

If you wanted fast fluid and graphically impressive sprite games you weren't getting it on the 500 in most cases, and if you did it was a mess or extremely stripped down.

After Burner II Amiga (Skip to 2:11):

After Burner II Genesis:

The 500 is too slow. Wouldn't really say it's state of the art until up upgrade your 500, but a stock 500? Ehh.

I'm not going to compare Arcade ports for the reasons I talked about . Im SEGA too and so will always like the MD more .I will say say mind the Amiga Sound chip could handle 4 digital channels for samples unlike the MD one

silentstorm

If the question is 'has it stood the test of time' relates to the community that is around the Amiga, then the answer is surely a cast-iron YES!

Companies producing new hardware for it, new games released, a vibrant community that still meets up for hardware parties, etc, etc.

I agree, these kinds of questions are lazily thrown out to build up thread cred without any shred of research of how the current scene is.

It's a bit like asking 'Has the Feranti F1 punched card reader stood the test of time?'
All the micro computers really aren't dead, Commodore Vic-20 and 64 also get games still, i can even buy some on Itch.Io if i wanted!

The Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum still get games, the MSX gets many games as well, basically, old computers still have a big homebrew scene and people wanting to keep their systems alive.

Only recently did consoles actually start getting the same treatment, sure, there were bootleg games and romhacks, but homebrew games made out of love are something else entirely.

A lot of dead systems aren't really dead, just aren't being supported by the original people behind them and commercially sold anymore on big retailers sadly.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Oh please list these best selling Amiga titles that don't exist that were killer apps. Or are you the one full of shit?.

Let me get this straight. You want me to spend my time writing a comprehensive list of hits on the Amiga to prove to you what pretty much everyone else already knows?

I don’t even know what your argument is at this point. You’re just spouting negative things about the Amiga. Which is fine. You didn’t like it. That’s ok. So what?

Nickolaidas

Banned
My favourite console of all time.

Home computer, not a console.

Having grown up in the 80s in Greece, the Amiga was considered *the* best gaming machine one could own - at least, when Shadow of the Beast was released and created the very first graphic whores in gaming. Up until superior hardware started making an appearance.

Megadrive and SNES showed people fast games with zero-loading times (which made Amiga fans go crazy since their favorite games needed at least 2-3 minutes to boot up. Then came Wing Commander on the PC which showed the necessity of a hard drive. Amiga ports became crappier and crappier and the computer couldn't keep up - there were some awesome exclusives, but in the mid-90s almost every 3rd party title played better in the PC/SNES/Genesis.

Even with Emulation, the loading times can be atrocious in today's standards, as are also the controls (having played actual MK games, it is pure torture to play MK on the Amiga - imagine that quarter circle back on the joystick was the input to make the corresponding Back+High Kick move.

But it was the machine I gamed in my preteen and teen years, so I've nothing but fond memories.

Oh, and fuck those crappy US Gold ports. Fuck them hard.

My favorite Amiga Games:

Moonstone (best Amiga game ever, and deserves to be placed above all others)

Turrican I / II (III was … ok. But I and II were the best answers to Metroid)
Shadow of the Beast I (II and III were very good, but nothing topped the feeling of watching the visuals of the first one right after 8-bit gaming - you can play it if you buy the PS4 remake)
Body Blows Galactic (best Amiga Fighting Game ever - you just have to stay awake whenever a match is loading)
Space Ace (destroyed my DF0 because of this game - so much disk swapping)
Gold of the Aztecs (hard and unforgiving but amazing fun for those who had the patience to persevere)
Jim Power (Turrican 2's rival and the best work of Chris Huelsbeck can be found here)
Disposable Hero (amazing gameplay and visuals)
X-Out (hard, but a classic)
Dune 2 (played like shit, but it was amazing back in the day)
Captain Blood (games like this aren't made today, which sucks)
Black Krypt (Eye of the Beholder Amiga version done right)
Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden love for the Amiga)
Duck Tales (slow as fuck, but fun to play)
It Came From the Desert (holy moly, what a game - this is what cinematic game experiences used to be back then)

So long Amiga, and thanks for all the memories

Shifty

I honestly thought I was the only person who ever played it! It’s honestly one of very few things I ever had any kind of bond with my Dad over. Hours spent trying to figure out that’s you needed fucking cereal to go into space...
A mate of mine had a copy for his older brother's Acorn Archimedes II back in the day, so we wiled away many an hour on some proper classics. Thankfully he already knew all the rubber-chicken-and-a-pulley style solutions to Mad Prof, so it was smooth sailing.

Fascinating game for the time, really. I don't think I'd ever seen a currency-based upgrade system at that point, so that combined with all the unique environmental stuff was a real treat.

I still remember an exploit on the level where you use a pair of jam jars as knock-off 3D glasses to read a hidden code- if you got them and then killed yourself on a stage hazard right above the locked door, it'd trigger the animation and bring you back to life with infinite health.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A mate of mine had a copy for his older brother's Acorn Archimedes II back in the day, so we wiled away many an hour on some proper classics. Thankfully he already knew all the rubber-chicken-and-a-pulley style solutions to Mad Prof, so it was smooth sailing.

Fascinating game for the time, really. I don't think I'd ever seen a currency-based upgrade system at that point, so that combined with all the unique environmental stuff was a real treat.

I still remember an exploit on the level where you use a pair of jam jars as knock-off 3D glasses to read a hidden code- if you got them and then killed yourself on a stage hazard right above the locked door, it'd trigger the animation and bring you back to life with infinite health.

I had no idea about that exploit - I may have to test it out!

Collz69

I just remembered, I went to a house party in 1999/2000, think it was an 18th birthday, they had hired a karaoke machine, when I looked inside the unit, it was an Amiga 600 that was running the karaoke software :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

silentstorm

I do know the Amiga had great games, i played quite a few of those on DOS and console ports, though i imagine many games are better on the Amiga.

I will gladly talk about the Monkey Island games, Lemmings is a classic puzzle game series that just...died(i think the rights went to Sony who only made a remake of the first game to PSP and PS3 if i recall correctly without trying to advertise it or anything), i have very very fond memories of the Worms series as it's a fantastic series for multiplayer, and games like Pirates and Civilization are classics.

And while i haven't tried Amiga, it does have some games that look interesting, Chaos Engine, the Turrican series, Stardust, Apidya, Banshee, Ruff N' Tumble and others seem great too, it's just, well, i still have a lot of games in systems i already knew that i want to play and there is always a lack of time and thus i keep forgetting about it.

It is an impressive computer from everything i've seen, which gets a lot of love in spite of Commodore itself doing many baffling decisions.

Let me get this straight. You want me to spend my time writing a comprehensive list of hits on the Amiga to prove to you what pretty much everyone else already knows?

If everyone already knows why can't you list any?

The actual fact of the matter is not one Amiga game was a major hit that sold on bar with the better selling ST and DOS/WIn games at the time. The strategy was to pump a bunch of games as fast as possible and because they didn't really have a first-party or any sort of internal management, nor did they promote promising games by third parties themselves usually, you never had a game sell well. The best Amiga games didn't even sell 100k althougnh there's debate one game did with questionable sources.

Meanwhile ST had several games with over 100k, the DOS/Win PC's had games that sold 500k and some that got over 1 million, the SNES had several 5ook games and some that broke 1 million, and the Genesis, the closest relative to the Amiga, had gotten some 500k games and a few million sellers.

You say that this is common knowledge yet you have none to share, weird.

Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. Honestly your post is littered with inaccuracies which would take a very long time to go through, you make so many assumptions about what people are saying (mostly wrong) that it's really quite exhausting to wade into your wall of incorrect text. I'll leave you to your delusions because honestly it's a dead-cert that no matter how right anyone else is you'll be there going...

So many inaccuracies you haven't addressed single one this whole thread. There aren't any inaccuracies, just your lack of knowledge in this category. Good job making a useless post admitting your worthless in this thread thoughj.

Depends on the developer.

This is Stardust running on a regular A500:

We are actually comparing bland demos with repeating textures/sprites and nothing happening on screen to a game with fast tight controls with tons of sprites on screen warping around with tons of objects on the ground and sky boxes and palette changes?

I mean this just proves my point you have to strip everything down to get a fast moving game on the 500. The thought you even compared this demo to After Burner 2 is a bit strange to put it mildly.

Birdo

Banned
We are actually comparing bland demos with repeating textures/sprites and nothing happening on screen to a game with fast tight controls with tons of sprites on screen warping around with tons of objects on the ground and sky boxes and palette changes?

Afterburner looks better on the Megadrive because it was made in-house by SEGA on newer hardware (With Blast Processing). Naturally it was going to be a better port.

Lets not forget that there are crappy Genesis ports of classic Amiga games like Syndicate, Canon Fodder, and Worms.

Amiga:
622d447f59d427f6ffe62109b5c49a5f.png

Genesis:
hqdefault.jpg

Collz69

Afterburner looks better on the Megadrive because it was made in-house by SEGA on newer hardware (With Blast Processing). Naturally it was going to be a better port.

Lets not forget that there are crappy Genesis ports of classic Amiga games like Syndicate, Canon Fodder, and Worms.

Amiga:
622d447f59d427f6ffe62109b5c49a5f.png

Genesis:
hqdefault.jpg

Theme Park is another example, the Amiga version was excellent but the Megadrive & SNES versions are awful!

Amiga
8r1dtHY.png

Megadrive
JHkoP3V.jpg

SNES
rmDFDmN.jpg

Top Bottom