• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Season 2 preview

Banned
Nobody in here is saying Halo is doing great, so LIES!!

Some people however can appreciate that this Halo is not a single release with bug fixes a la releases from years of old, but has been designed from the outset to grow and expand in the years to come.

It definitely released light, and it’s initial expansion is slower than hoped, but it will get there, and folk will come back/shift over from MCC.

I’ll bet my wife on it (win/win for me).

it was never designed that way whatsoever. there's been some people coming out lately talking about how ridiculously mismanaged the whole project was and how slow development moved forward.

the devs just suck, the management sucks and this game will not be a finished Halo game for enother, at least, 2 years if not 3.

also, most games do not recover from such a huge loss in player numbers. the bad experience players had will tint their opinion of the game and their willingness to give it a second chance.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's unforgivable to think that my first ever Xbox experience on OG Xbox launch day was Co-op Halo, 21 years ago. Yet this game STILL doesn't have co-op. very, very disappointing. I hope it's in the next update, but something tells me that co-op will be quietly shit canned.
First half of 2023 I reckon.

But yeah it's crazy it's not available when you consider how little multiplayer content has been available at launch.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So last Spartan standing is essentially a small scale battle royale mode to be used with existing BTB maps.

I like the idea of getting kills let's you upgrade to a new weapon, depending on how it works it might screw you over though, no one wants to be stuck with a ravager.

It's certainly not the big update people are waiting for, so they will need to get there ass in gear to actually release something the brings in some new blood and more importantly retains them.

twilo99

So last Spartan standing is essentially a small scale battle royale mode to be used with existing BTB maps.

I like the idea of getting kills let's you upgrade to a new weapon, depending on how it works it might screw you over though, no one wants to be stuck with a ravager.

It's certainly not the big update people are waiting for, so they will need to get there ass in gear to actually release something the brings in some new blood and more importantly retains them.

Only way the multiplayer survives is with a proper BR mode, I’m just not sure if the net code and that engine can handle it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
343 saying it has a 10 year plan would suggest otherwise… 🤷‍♂️

I think this is unfair, with the rate they are releasing content I would say to have what people would expect from a Halo title would take them around 10 years.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
it was never designed that way whatsoever. there's been some people coming out lately talking about how ridiculously mismanaged the whole project was and how slow development moved forward.

the devs just suck, the management sucks and this game will not be a finished Halo game for enother, at least, 2 years if not 3.

also, most games do not recover from such a huge loss in player numbers. the bad experience players had will tint their opinion of the game and their willingness to give it a second chance.

The senseless hyperbole around Halo is quite amusing.
By Q4 this year, it'll have Campaign co-op, and multiplayer Forge + multiple additional new maps and modes and a new BR mode.

I'm not sure how many other games launch with more content than that, including past Halo games.

Fun game. Looks to be a pretty decent update, and hopefully the BR modes will launch in the fall. I still play a few times a week, and have never had trouble finding a match, so don't really care if more people are playing something else. I hope all the people that hate the game find something that they enjoy playing, and go spend some time doing that.

Banned
The senseless hyperbole around Halo is quite amusing.
By Q4 this year, it'll have Campaign co-op, and multiplayer Forge + multiple additional new maps and modes and a new BR mode.

I'm not sure how many other games launch with more content than that, including past Halo games.

every past Halo game had more content than that.
Halo 5 launched with about 3x the playlists, had a robust custom game editor, Forge launched 2 months later, it had more maps than infinite even after Season 3, it had more modes than it than Infinite will have by the end of this year, it had more armor customization than Infinite, it had Coop at launch, it had a better net code...

apologists like you are the reason we get games in the shitty and broken states we do, because you eat it up like it's some achievement to launch a new game in a series with less than half the content of any of its predecessors.

let's look at what Reach launched with, shall we?
ok:

-14 Maps
-2p Splitscreen, 4p Online/LAN Coop
-Forge Mode
-WORKING theater mode
-WORKING custom games with more options than Infinite currently has
-here's all the armor customization that launched with the game (for free of course)
xOfRY4w.png
-You could chose your own colors instead of being limited to pre-made and store bought ones
-You could make your own player icon by mixing premade shapes and changing colors, instead of pre-made ones with preselected color schemes and of course... bought from the store
-a fully functional file sharing system to download player made maps, modes, videos, images etc.
-about 2x as many playlists, including completely new modes for the series like Invasion

Infinite doesn't even have HALF the features/content of Reach... and the ones it does have are in some cases severely broken or severely limited. the Custom mode creator is less capable than the one in Halo 2 for example. that is a fucking joke

First half of 2023 I reckon.

But yeah it's crazy it's not available when you consider how little multiplayer content has been available at launch.
If you are unfortunate enough like me to only have an Xb1x, you can't even play Halo CE and Halo 2a campaigns via the MCC, because 343 broke the performance so badly when they released halo reach. Arguably the two most important games for the Xbox brand! That happened a year and a half ago now and this pos company just could care less about fixing it. That's 343 .

Ozriel

M$FT
every past Halo game had more content than that.
Halo 5 launched with about 3x the playlists, had a robust custom game editor, Forge launched 2 months later, it had more maps than infinite even after Season 3, it had more modes than it than Infinite will have by the end of this year, it had more armor customization than Infinite, it had Coop at launch, it had a better net code...

apologists like you are the reason we get games in the shitty and broken states we do, because you eat it up like it's some achievement to launch a new game in a series with less than half the content of any of its predecessors.

let's look at what Reach launched with, shall we?
ok:

-14 Maps
-2p Splitscreen, 4p Online/LAN Coop
-Forge Mode
-WORKING theater mode
-WORKING custom games with more options than Infinite currently has
-here's all the armor customization that launched with the game (for free of course)
xOfRY4w.png
-You could chose your own colors instead of being limited to pre-made and store bought ones
-You could make your own player icon by mixing premade shapes and changing colors, instead of pre-made ones with preselected color schemes and of course... bought from the store
-a fully functional file sharing system to download player made maps, modes, videos, images etc.
-about 2x as many playlists, including completely new modes for the series like Invasion

Infinite doesn't even have HALF the features/content of Reach... and the ones it does have are in some cases severely broken or severely limited. the Custom mode creator is less capable than the one in Halo 2 for example. that is a fucking joke

And yet, by the end of the year, Infinite will have an additional 6 - 7 dev made maps, more game modes, co-op, a far more robust Forge mode than Reach had, Custom game browser and a full fledged Battle Royale add-on.

Let’s not even get into the fact that quite a number of the Halo Reach maps count you cite were Forge maps. So you’d expect a large bump in Infinite’s maps along with the shipping of Forge.

So no, it makes no sense to claim it’d be ‘unfinished’ by year end. We should have a package way more fleshed out than what you’re citing for Reach. Even more silly when one considers that the MP in Infinite is completely free to play.

This has absolutely nothing about being ‘apologetic’ to missteps. The endless, hyperbolic toxicity serves nothing. Infinite didn’t launch with this content level because of ‘apologists’. It launched this way because development was rocky and seems to have been soft-rebooted midway. They simply ran out of time.

II_JumPeR_I

Later in the season.
Multiplayer needs more love than the campaign anyway.
Im starting to doubt that coop is happening anytime soon...
They havent said anything about it since february..
And lets not forget about the roadmap lol
I smell another 6 months season with almost nothing in between

Havoc2049

All big mp launched with less content but now they all are top most played games out there.

Example
Fortnite- Half assed launch, took epic more than year to make it good.
Apex same as above.
Rainbow six siege- Horrible launch but bounced back.
FF14 online - same.
Destiny 1 and 2 - same as above.

So Halo is now same.
Unfortunately, 343 wishes Halo Infinite was like the above games. All the above games either had modest beginnings and slowly gained popularity over time or had a big time launch window player base and then leveled out with a large played base still intact after launch. Halo is none of the above. If Halo was like Destiny or Destiny 2 for example, there would still be like 60k people playing it at peak times on just the Steam charts alone.

Ozriel

M$FT
Unfortunately, 343 wishes Halo Infinite was like the above games. All the above games either had modest beginnings and slowly gained popularity over time or had a big time launch window player base and then leveled out with a large played base still intact after launch. Halo is none of the above. If Halo was like Destiny or Destiny 2 for example, there would still be like 60k people playing it at peak times on just the Steam charts alone.

sPzzvdo.png

Rainbow Six Siege, for example.
Started low and flat for a while, then really took off with added content

If 343i and Certain Affinity execute well with the post launch content, Infinite could definitely see a sustained spike.

people forget this is how many free to play start

I remember Apex season 0-2 be a drag, then they figured it out by seaon 3 and on

the core gameplay is good and fun, and in due time, its going to be a great experience hopefully. If they add a BR, its a done deal

I'm not sure what's worse; Defending shitty practices of devs and making launches like Halo, Battlefield and Cyberpunk OK, or calling Halo a free to play game. Once the best FPS on consoles (fight me), reduced to being defended by shills for shitty industry practices because it's 'free to play'. Goddamn, what an insult.

But do we need the same angry comments from the same people in every Halo thread?

No is the answer.
This is my first post in a Halo thread.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not sure what's worse; Defending shitty practices of devs and making launches like Halo, Battlefield and Cyberpunk OK, or calling Halo a free to play game. Once the best FPS on consoles (fight me), reduced to being defended by shills for shitty industry practices because it's 'free to play'. Goddamn, what an insult.

This thread is about the Halo Infinite multiplayer. Halo Infinite multiplayer is free to play.

Surely this can’t be so hard for you to grasp?

This thread is about the Halo Infinite multiplayer. Halo Infinite multiplayer is free to play.

Surely this can’t be so hard for you to grasp?
Halo having to be free to play at all says everything. It used to sell units and move consoles at full price, now it's free to play.

Surely that concept can't be so hard for you to grasp?

BigLee74

Christ you console warriors are insufferable.
Fuck me.

I would suggest that bringing ‘console warrior’ into a Halo thread and Halo discussion highlights who the warrior might be! 😉

As I’ve said before, not all of us are impatient, angry and entitled, and believe the game will get there. You may call me a Halo warrior if it makes you feel better. But to be honest, its quite simply I’m a guy who has enjoyed the campaign and MP so far (whilst acknowledging it is content-light), and my glass half-full attitude looks forward to more coming.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member

This is my first post in a Halo thread.
Its the world we live in, and yeah, its a free to play game lol thats the reality of the situation

twilo99

H1Z1 had a worse netcode and people played it... well... until the better BRs came to PS4, then it died lol

hah yeah I'm sure they can make it work, but how well.. I guess they can always consult infinity ward on the matter if the sale goes through.

I'm very excited to see what that team does with warzone 2, and honestly, halo was always going to have a hard time against the big BR titles, I am just surprised Microsoft didn't see that earlier.

TheShocker

I have low expectations. There are too many core issues wrong with infinite. 343i is slow to respond or absolutely tone deaf to fixing some of the problems. A couple maps and some new armor skins aren’t the fix.

I’m hoping Certain Affinity gets more responsibility for Halo MP.

Havoc2049

sPzzvdo.png

Rainbow Six Siege, for example.
Started low and flat for a while, then really took off with added content

If 343i and Certain Affinity execute well with the post launch content, Infinite could definitely see a sustained spike.
Halo started out high and trending down fast, still looking for the floor. Those two new maps better be Valhalla and Zanzibar level of greatness. The last time 343 made some solid maps was Halo 4.

MonthAvg. PlayersGain% GainPeak Players
Last 30 Days5,193.1-1,142.8-18.04%10,350
March 20226,335.8-5,354.2-45.80%15,961
February 202211,690.0-11,713.4-50.05%31,780
January 202223,403.5-28,485.8-54.90%62,371
December 202151,889.3-50,843.1-49.49%147,782
November 2021102,732.3-

Ozriel

M$FT
Halo having to be free to play at all says everything. It used to sell units and move consoles at full price, now it's free to play.

Surely that concept can't be so hard for you to grasp?

That is completely irrelevant to this discussion. They’ve made it F2P because the market has largely gravitated to BR shooters. This isn’t the heydays of Halo anymore.

Bottom line is that the multiplayer mode cost you nothing. And it’s designed as a live service game that will get better over time.

If you can’t wait for that, then uninstall it and move on from Halo. Cheers

BigLee74

How is saying “343i has long term plan for Halo Infinite” console warring? In what universe does that make sense?

Might as well call him a pickle. Just as nonsensical in this context.
Exactly. As said, that comment showed one person’s agenda more than the other.

But anyway, maybe I AM a pickle? 🤣

Almost as childish as saying that the devs can pump out some badly optimised shit and its the players fault for not blowing $2000 on that year's new graphics card.
bro it runs fine on my low end laptop i don't know what the hell you are even saying

Last edited:

Crew511A

Its the world we live in, and yeah, its a free to play game lol thats the reality of the situation

Unfortunately the fact it's F2P seems to be the justification given for the poor condition of the game. I'd gladly have paid 60 or 70 bucks for a complete game. I'm not sure how we still have people defending this game.

But at least we got a cook book coming, so that's something, right?

That is completely irrelevant to this discussion. They’ve made it F2P because the market has largely gravitated to BR shooters.
It is relevant. This is a thread about season 2 preview and how the vast majority of Halo fans are disappointed with the lack of content. Halo shouldn't be a free to play game. It should be a full, feature rich game like every halo for the past 20 years, because that was a winning formula.
This isn’t the heydays of Halo anymore.
I wonder if there's a connection between a feature-light, delayed, crappy launch of Halo and Halo not being in its' heyday...I wonder.
Bottom line is that the multiplayer mode cost you nothing. And it’s designed as a live service game that will get better over time.
You get what you pay for has never been more true. Where's the proof it will get better over time? Apex was a good, solid game that added more to keep fans. Halo is adding the basics to bring fans back. There's a huge difference between the two.
If you can’t wait for that, then uninstall it and move on from Halo. Cheers
Amazing. You're telling a Halo fan from the earliest possible times of Halo; launch day 2001, that I should uninstall the game and move on from the franchise because waiting for the game to launch a year late isn't good enough, i now have to wait another year just so that the game has feature parity with previous Halos and you see nothing wrong with that?

So, by your logic, Halo is a free to play game because it's not as popular as it once was and to regain that popularity, fans of the series have to wait 2 years after the original launch date just to play co-op - a feature that was available on the original xbox, on the original Halo, that set Halo apart from other console FPS's, 20 years ago?

Man, it's fans like you that have been ruining the xbox since 2012. Thanks for the Xbox one and 10 years of the worst Microsoft has had to offer.

Banjo64

cumsessed
All big mp launched with less content but now they all are top most played games out there.

Example
Apex same as above.
FF14 online - same.

So Halo is now same.
Did any of those games drop to 2k concurrent players on Steam/other major launchers?

jorgejjvr

Gold Member

Example
Apex same as above.
FF14 online - same.

So Halo is now same.
Sad but true

I can't think of a single game that got free to play right on day 1

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
How is saying “343i has long term plan for Halo Infinite” console warring? In what universe does that make sense?

Might as well call him a pickle. Just as nonsensical in this context.
Fuck me.

I would suggest that bringing ‘console warrior’ into a Halo thread and Halo discussion highlights who the warrior might be! 😉

As I’ve said before, not all of us are impatient, angry and entitled, and believe the game will get there. You may call me a Halo warrior if it makes you feel better. But to be honest, its quite simply I’m a guy who has enjoyed the campaign and MP so far (whilst acknowledging it is content-light), and my glass half-full attitude looks forward to more coming.

So expecting a finished product like we had for the majority of a franchise is now "impatient" and "entitled"?

Yes, you both are warriors. Trying ever so desperately to defend a painfully unfinished, insulting product such as this because its on your favorite plastic box/company. It has been stated before, but folks like you are the reason why we are getting trash like Halo Infinite.

Fun game. Looks to be a pretty decent update, and hopefully the BR modes will launch in the fall. I still play a few times a week, and have never had trouble finding a match, so don't really care if more people are playing something else. I hope all the people that hate the game find something that they enjoy playing, and go spend some time doing that.

Clap Reaction GIF

That's really all there is to it. The population is such that you never have trouble finding a game.

Top Bottom