• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5- Where does Microsoft go from here? The good, the bad and the Halo 5

Lothars

This game is amazing I feel that a lot of people avoid it because you don't just get on and good immediately.
The game has a huge issue for some people where aiming is terrible and feels worst than any halo game before. Yes it doesn't affect everyone but I am positive it's a larger amount than I think anyone wants to admit and it's adversly affected my enjoyment of the game. I know they are going to be adding options in for those of us that are affected.

The lack of modes is the other bad thing, I feel it's missing the modes that made halo great because warzone is okay but the lack of maps also really hurts that mode.

The game is pretty good but it's hard to look past the issues I have with it.

I think the game will have legs. That shows that the game is good.
I think that is yet to be seen, if they implement modes and maps at a fairly consistent rate than yes it can have the legs but as it stands right now, I don't feel it has the legs until we see the content coming out.

The aiming feels worse and it's a bit hard to explain. Zooming and going back to forth just feels a bit of a chore where in other halos I never had issues with it.

I for one assume the game won't have good legs, maybe sales will pick up this holiday a bit but I don't believe it will pick up very much online. Which is fine, if there are people who do like it and there are enough to find games online with. That is good enough, but I doubt this is good enough for MS.

Aside from usual requests of "moar maps" etc;

I'd like to see a replayable cooperative mode readded. Right now the game is either campaign, Warzone or MLG-whether-you-want-it-or-not Arena.

Spartan Ops wasn't faultless but it was something. A kind of hybrid between that, firefight and a PVE Warzone you can play with some friends without having to worry about needing to play your absolute best at all times would be great.

Never underestimate the value of being able to play cooperatively. I have always believed that that has allowed for Destiny to be far more popular than it deserved to be.

Also it would be great to actually have a mode outside of FFA where you can player and your Spartan actually has your own colours instead or being a mandatory Red//Blue...

Aside from usual requests of "moar maps" etc;

I'd like to see a replayable cooperative mode readded. Right now the game is either campaign, Warzone or MLG-whether-you-want-it-or-not Arena.

Spartan Ops wasn't faultless but it was something. A kind of hybrid between that, firefight and a PVE Warzone you can play with some friends without having to worry about needing to play your absolute best at all times would be great.

Never underestimate the value of being able to play cooperatively. I have always believed that that has allowed for Destiny to be far more popular than it deserved to be.

Also it would be great to actually have a mode outside of FFA where you can player and your Spartan actually has your own colours instead or being a mandatory Red//Blue...
Destiny's lack of story really hurt me an that game.

I do miss split screen... Can't even practice without needing to invite soemone.

If there really is a lack of popularity then I'd throw the argument of singleplayer base vs multiplayer base into the room.

I believe (without having proof... hence the believing part) that the Halo series was always the series with the larges split between those communities. Tons of people played the game only because of the singleplayer and only bought the game because friends bought the game for that reason. People loved to play the game alone and then after that they dragged in their friends with playing the game in co-op, those people are leaving.

Why are they leaving? A combination of the XB1 launch problems and players transitioning to PS4 and the played out storyline of the Halo series. The game is still fun to play according to people. That should be reason enough for people to buy it, but it's not. The sense of discovering strange alien planets has waned, the big fights have been fought, we are treading familiar ground.

To shake up this familiarity you need something grandios I guess, I don't know what it needs to be but it must recreate the sense of wonder that the first games had.

To only rely on the multiplayer to make up for the leaving singleplayer crowd is dangerous, the competition (CoD/BF etc.) doesn't have the same problem as Halo has, there never was this split or they have transitioned from it years ago.

I'm still can't believe how many people are playing Destiny, despite all the criticism. Maybe that's where those people went that left the ship.

This is all just my humble ramblings of course, but rest assured, I am an expert!

Improvidence

Neo Member
Im a huge halo guy, but i can totally se why OP is frustrated. Because i too share some of those same gripes. Ive played ALL the Halos, except the spartan assault ones (forgettable tbh) And yes i will agree that the multiplayer that was fantastic was during the 2/3 era. ALTHOUGH to be fair ever since MCC Halo 4 multiplayer has grown on me. In H5 though, the maps are very very dull, not one characteristic to really set them apart(halos maps always had a them covenant, UNSC, etc) Another mistake was that they left out Splitscreen yeah, yeah i know 60FPS makes it look gorgeous but still.H6 343 needs to get rid of the pro team, since its clear they built the multiplayer specifically for them and the pro circuit and its kind of a bummer. If they reverted to slower halo play style they would see my continued support, but i haven't played H5 multiplayer after the 1st week. No maps No fun. rant over

If there really is a lack of popularity then I'd throw the argument of singleplayer base vs multiplayer base into the room.

I believe (without having proof... hence the believing part) that the Halo series was always the series with the larges split between those communities. Tons of people played the game only because of the singleplayer and only bought the game because friends bought the game for that reason. People loved to play the game alone and then after that they dragged in their friends with playing the game in co-op, those people are leaving.

Why are they leaving? A combination of the XB1 launch problems and players transitioning to PS4 and the played out storyline of the Halo series. The game is still fun to play according to people. That should be reason enough for people to buy it, but it's not. The sense of discovering strange alien planets has waned, the big fights have been fought, we are treading familiar ground.

To shake up this familiarity you need something grandios I guess, I don't know what it needs to be but it must recreate the sense of wonder that the first games had.

To only rely on the multiplayer to make up for the leaving singleplayer crowd is dangerous, the competition (CoD/BF etc.) doesn't have the same problem as Halo has, there never was this split or they have transitioned from it years ago.

I'm still can't believe how many people are playing Destiny, despite all the criticism. Maybe that's where those people went that left the ship.

This is all just my humble ramblings of course, but rest assured, I am an expert!

With any really popular game, you get the core fans and you get the casuals that jump in cause everyone else is playing it. That used to be halo when 1-2 and 3 were out. Halo was the top dog on console. Now its COD. Whatever game gets that casual crowd to jump in is ultimately the king. Halo tho, as great as it was back then didnt have much real competition on consoles and i think people forget that. So yeah, it was a great game but it also was leagues ahead of everything else on console. Now, there's competition. And a lot of it at that. Just this holiday, BO3, battlefront, that Gears re-release, Destiny which people still play and im not even counting the single player games like fallout.

I think what people dont realize is that what Bungie did back then is exactly what theyre doing now: they took advantage of the fact that there wasn't much competition on consoles doing what they do and doing it as well. They did it with halo2 on Live and their doing it now with Destiny on consoles. No other game really does what Destiny does as a shooter right now on consoles. Its actually pretty brilliant of them. But if you look at when Halo started to fall it was during Halo3. Ironically the same time COD modern warfare came out. Funny what competition does when it isn't horrible.

Long time Halo fan that goes back to playing competitive LANs back in H1 & 2 days.

Competitive Halo went off a cliff with 3. A combination of the slow movement speed, janky aiming, scatter shot BR spread and too many toys in the sandbox. Poor map design really hurt too. Pit/Guardian, over and over and over...

Reach and 4 of course were a laughing stock. Competitive Halo declined during 3 but was still very alive. Reach killed it, pissed on its corpse, and fed it to the wolves. 4 tap danced on its grave.

Now here we are at 5. I believe 343 came to a realization at some point after 4 that they don't know how to emulate classic Halo with a modern paint job. So MCC comes along to satisfy the huge demand for classic Halo, freeing up 343 to make a different kind of game.

And it worked out for the best. 5 is the best Halo MP since 2. Movement is quick paced, shooting mechanics feel good and are consistent, great weapon balance, new abilities complement the gameplay instead of breaking it. They just did a fantastic job all around. It's actually fun to play.

But is it Halo? Not really. 343 made a cool new arena shooter parading around in Halo's clothes. And I'm ok with that, since the game is fun and if I want classic Halo I can just boot up MCC.

Right now 5 needs better maps and more gametypes. Why no KOTH or oddball? CTF needs to come up more often in arena. I feel like it's just slayer/strongholds over and over.

The greatest tragedy to the franchise was the botching of MCC.

wow um ok thanks for your input here!

This whole sequence made me laugh especially your post lol

If they reverted to slower halo play style they would see my continued support, but i haven't played H5 multiplayer after the 1st week. No maps No fun. rant over

Can you go into more depth as to why you like the slower pace?

Its actually pretty brilliant of them. But if you look at when Halo started to fall it was during Halo3. Ironically the same time COD modern warfare came out. Funny what competition does when it isn't horrible
I don't exactly agree on this part. Halo 3 was top king and was falling but it still had really high numbers, even as far as 3 years out.

Improvidence

Neo Member
Competitive Halo went off a cliff with 3. A combination of the slow movement speed, janky aiming, scatter shot BR spread and too many toys in the sandbox. Poor map design really hurt too. Pit/Guardian, over and over and over...

Reach and 4 of course were a laughing stock. Competitive Halo declined during 3 but was still very alive. Reach killed it, pissed on its corpse, and fed it to the wolves. 4 tap danced on its grave.

you, I like what you have to say!

More maps are sorely needed. Taking a map and adding a night cycle or taking a map and changing some of the aesthetics do not count as two different maps. When I play arena slayed and play a map and a slight variation of that map back to back to back it gets tiring. Just Tuesday I was playing the midship remake map and the outdoor midship remake variant back to back for four matches. That could easily be fixed with a map rotation and more than a handful of original maps.

I don't exactly agree on this part. Halo 3 was top king and was falling but it still had really high numbers, even as far as 3 years out.

Yes both were close, the numbers started to go down compared to Halo2. My point was that people keep raving about halos passed and how great, popular and unbeatable it was during 2 but forget how little competition it had when it was at it peak. Its not really fair to compare halos numbers today to then when then, there was really nothing to compete with it (on console).

Yes both were close, the numbers started to go down compared to Halo2. My point was that people keep raving about halos passed and how great, popular and unbeatable it was during 2 but forget how little competition it had had when it was at it peak. Its not really fair to compare halos numbers today to then when then, there was really nothing to compete with it (on console).

There wasn't as many consoles out there though, i still believe that halo can be sustained if they just cater to those players.

Xbox only sold like 22 million consoles WW. I'd even guess a lot of the halo 3 boys haven't even went out and bought an x1.

Lothars

A sequel to a terrible unfun halo game where everything that makes halo special was stripped away. No thanks. ODST was a boring mess and I hope they don't ever revisit that kind of gameplay again.
lol wow talk about a bad post. Halo ODST is one of the best halo games. It still holds up to this day.

Kiant

I think the real question for you is

Is there enough people out there that enjoy that style of shooter you desire in today's competitive console shooter market.

In order to have a game to be successful it needs to be hitting all the right chords for the hardcore and be approachable to new comers to the series or people who have not played since halo 2.

Destiny, Cod, Battlefront, Battlefield
If you can get a kill in one of those 4 games you could excel at any of those 4 games.
(you can extend those mechanics to Far Cry and Wolfenstein as well)
Problem is, halo has a steep learning curve, the hardcore faithful are proud of that, but the hardcore is not enough for opening week and to sustain multiplayer life
You may not like sprint and clamber
But the game needs to change ON consoles

If the game was on PC, we would not be having this discuss probably, sales would not be as abysmal and at least a quarter of the counter strike crowd would be playing it.

Steep learning curve 😂

I think the consensus is largely that the Multiplayer is the shit and the game simply needs more and better content.

I think it's pretty clear that they came down to the wire on this one because of the engine rebuild. I'd expect Halo 6 (hopefully on XB2/Windows) will reap the benefits of the work put in on Halo 5 and will launch with boatloads more content.

JaggedSac

I can't go back to a Halo that doesn't have thrusters or clamber. Shit just feels sooooo good. The gameplay is top top notch and as an eastern US resident, the networking has been damn near flawless. This is modern Halo and its wonderful.

Content is certainly a bit lacking on the mp side. It certainly seems like they have a vested interest in keeping new content coming. The forge brb maps are certainly a stop gap while they get the dev made maps finished, which is fine by me.

Only thing I think they needed was a warzone where it was completely PvE. That would be the shit.

Loving halo 5, I think 343 have done a good job... Need a few more warzone maps, some people like to stick to that playlist and 3 maps ain't enough.

BokehKing

Banned
More maps are sorely needed. Taking a map and adding a night cycle or taking a map and changing some of the aesthetics do not count as two different maps. When I play arena slayed and play a map and a slight variation of that map back to back to back it gets tiring. Just Tuesday I was playing the midship remake map and the outdoor midship remake variant back to back for four matches. That could easily be fixed with a map rotation and more than a handful of original maps.
Got to disagree, I enjoy day/night/mid day cycles on maps

Yeah it's not a new map, but the change is just refreshing enough, first noticed I was ok with that in destiny

They are getting rid of Orion, we can all agree that's a step in the right direction

Long time Halo fan that goes back to playing competitive LANs back in H1 & 2 days.

Now here we are at 5. I believe 343 came to a realization at some point after 4 that they don't know how to emulate classic Halo with a modern paint job. So MCC comes along to satisfy the huge demand for classic Halo, freeing up 343 to make a different kind of game.

And it worked out for the best. 5 is the best Halo MP since 2. Movement is quick paced, shooting mechanics feel good and are consistent, great weapon balance, new abilities complement the gameplay instead of breaking it. They just did a fantastic job all around. It's actually fun to play.

But is it Halo? Not really. 343 made a cool new arena shooter parading around in Halo's clothes. And I'm ok with that, since the game is fun and if I want classic Halo I can just boot up MCC.

Right now 5 needs better maps and more gametypes. Why no KOTH or oddball? CTF needs to come up more often in arena. I feel like it's just slayer/strongholds over and over.

I think Reach gets a lot more flack than it deserves personally. While the main maps weren't good, there were enough good forge map variants to make competitive perfectly viable. Armor mods were a bad idea. But at the end of the day, you could create good custom games if you wanted to. And there was a fantastic amount of good PVE content.

I think my main problem with H5 MP is the maps. The bad visuals, the fact that I don't think 60 fps made the difference I expected it to, and the design of the maps has left me disinterested in playing more, even though I look pretty favorably on the mechanics.

BokehKing

Banned
Steep learning curve 😂
Well I don't remember it being this difficult to play back in the halo 2 and 3 days, and seeing how I played MCC leading up to release the aiming felt off, apparently I'm not the only person who felt this (my purchase based off playing beta at friends, felt a lot better with the controlling of aiming). But we know we are getting options

I have to retrain my brain

matthieuC

I've seen an idea thrown around a bit that I really like: Warzone that is solely PvE. 24 Spartans vs a shit ton of difficult AI would be awesome.

Great core, little content. Wheres all the content?

It feels a bit like MCC to me, where it's insulting(to a fan of halo games of course) to see something great(old halos for mcc, new core gameplay for halo 5) taken and not be properly cared for in their respective homes. And this stuff is at launch! i.e. when it needs to be making a good impression(maybe thats not true anymore, but i still think it holds for console fps's) on new and prospective buyers. I'm sure there was content lost when people had to be moved to mcc overhauling, but well never know if it was substantial probably.

Here's hoping for a short delay, but advertising very "not very aesthetically pleasing" maps as desirable dlc content isn't the best sign.

Seriously though, the core of the game is such an excellent evolution of halo gameplay, I want it to stick around :(.

JaggedSac

I've seen an idea thrown around a bit that I really like: Warzone that is solely PvE. 24 Spartans vs a shit ton of difficult AI would be awesome.

24 might be a bit much, especially if you want to drop in enough enemies to create a challenge. 8 or 12 in my opinion would be great. But yes, I would play the heck out of that.

I don't get the hate for reach maps, whilee some were really bad like boardwalk, I enjoyed quite a few of the others actually. Nades started to be a little too bouncy and powerful though.

24 might be a bit much, especially if you want to drop in enough enemies to create a challenge. 8 or 12 in my opinion would be great. But yes, I would play the heck out of that.

I'm hoping that as refinements continue to Warzone and Halo 5 in general, this will be a big, marquee update, in say, March or so.

Warzone Onslaught. 12 players/3 Fireteams. REQ system. Generous bounties on VIPs. Vehicles and chaos. Would be awesome.

Leyasu

Banned
There are no maps that are included in the playlists that I feel can become classic halo maps that people would want remade in later versions. They feel boring to me.

Fathom is a great map, empire and eden play well to. Plaza is a bit busy imo, but looks incredible.

Anyway, this is by far my favourite halo. The campaign is great and the multiplayer is the goat. Yeah the map count is sparse and the rotation is abysmal, but it will get there. As others have noted, halo is not an easy game to play on-line. I love it because no game is as satisfying as halo. But the high entry requirements can be and are off-putting. Blaming sprint or ADS or fuck knows what mechanic to be the reason for its low sales I dont think is correct.

JaggedSac

I'm hoping that as refinements continue to Warzone and Halo 5 in general, this will be a big, marquee update, in say, March or so.

Warzone Onslaught. 12 players/3 Fireteams. REQ system. Generous bounties on VIPs. Vehicles and chaos. Would be awesome.

This reminds me, they need to constantly indicate people that are in your party in Warzone somehow. Id tags of a different color or something. Would be nice to have in all the chaos.

I .

I promise you, we are there, we are waiting. We just want a new game that fits us. That's all we are asking for. I know it's hard to see that, because numbers are stronger and louder for what is being played (cod, bf) and a lot of us just aren't playing or talking about them, but I strongly believe in my heart if halo is just halo again you will see these fans rise out of the wood work and you may just be surprised in how it comes.

)

Why don't you play mcc
now it's working
(genuine question)? I mean, that's halo as you see it.

Leyasu

Banned

I have not thought about the things that they could do.. What you said could be great. I dont know how big 343 is, but I would imagine that a massive chunk of the studio is now working on 6
next xbox only please. Dont waste time on the xbone

Why don't you play mcc
now it's working
(genuine question)? I mean, that's halo as you see it.

Doesn't work for me, and they didn't put it on dedicated servers. I will be back on it but I hate having to quit out of doubles when halo 4 comes up. For now, current location it's unplayable and can't find a game an hour anyways.

If it was on servers, possibly. I do enjoy it more than Halo 5 though. Just more fun, better maps. Wish I had maps like avalanche in H5.

Just read the first post again, most of that stuff is personal opinion really.
Op doesn't like warzone yet I bet its one of the most populated playlists... I dunno, did we want halo multi to go back to halo 2 again?
Don't get me wrong but I loved halo 2, but I hated the noob combo, super bounces and bxrbullshit etc
343 had to do a modern halo and I think they have done this quite well.

Doesn't work for me, and they didn't put it on dedicated servers. I will be back on it but I hate having to quit out of doubles when halo 4 comes up. For now, current location it's unplayable and can't find a game an hour anyways.

If it was on servers, possibly. I do enjoy it more than Halo 5 though. Just more fun, better maps. Wish I had maps like avalanche in H5.

And how much of that fun is due to the maps lacking in 5? I personally feel like the gameplay in 5 is beyond anything Halo did previously, i just wish it had better maps.

And how much of that fun is due to the maps lacking in 5? I personally feel like the gameplay in 5 is beyond anything Halo did previously, i just wish it had better maps.

I prefer no sprint, not enjoying the sprint, jet melee thing. Also don't like the clamber map design. As I was saying earlier, I prefer fathom the most cause sprint and clamber aren't needed that much for the map.

Wat?
Halo Competitive wise was at its peak with Halo 3. It went off with Reach and got killed with H4.

Rains

The base Online play is excellent for me its slower then cod which i like its feels that their is abit more skill to playing the game i also like the req system i don't buy the packs i earn them and i don't be leave i am saying this the Microtrans don't bother me I didnt know about the free DLC that is another plus the only thing that bothers me is the radar does not seem as useful as it was

I think the consensus is largely that the Multiplayer is the shit and the game simply needs more and better content.

I think it's pretty clear that they came down to the wire on this one because of the engine rebuild. I'd expect Halo 6 (hopefully on XB2/Windows) will reap the benefits of the work put in on Halo 5 and will launch with boatloads more content.

No way is MS waiting until next gen for another Halo.

I don't get the hate for reach maps, whilee some were really bad like boardwalk, I enjoyed quite a few of the others actually. Nades started to be a little too bouncy and powerful though.

I'd actually really, really like to see some Reach maps get remade/reimagined/remodelled for H5.

latest

Highlands

latest

Unearthed

latest

Ridgeline

latest

Boneyard

latest

Breakpoint *remake this especially* - always badly wanted firefight on this map

Imagine using some of the Invasion & DLC maps for Forge, BTB and a hypothetical PvE Warzone mode. They would obviously need some updating to make better use of H5's new abilities but they would be great additions.

Im a huge halo guy, but i can totally se why OP is frustrated. Because i too share some of those same gripes. Ive played ALL the Halos, except the spartan assault ones (forgettable tbh) And yes i will agree that the multiplayer that was fantastic was during the 2/3 era. ALTHOUGH to be fair ever since MCC Halo 4 multiplayer has grown on me. In H5 though, the maps are very very dull, not one characteristic to really set them apart(halos maps always had a them covenant, UNSC, etc) Another mistake was that they left out Splitscreen yeah, yeah i know 60FPS makes it look gorgeous but still.H6 343 needs to get rid of the pro team, since its clear they built the multiplayer specifically for them and the pro circuit and its kind of a bummer. If they reverted to slower halo play style they would see my continued support, but i haven't played H5 multiplayer after the 1st week. No maps No fun. rant over

FWIW I think Halo 5 is the first great multiplayer Halo since 3 and the launch maps are of higher and more consistent quality (not counting the forge ones) than in any previous game in the series once you get used to the new movement options.

I do agree losing splitscreen is very bad. That's my biggest issue with the game right now, just ahead of lack of content.

On topic, I think the MCC and Halo 4 took their toll on the trust people have in 343i. Halo 5 has an uphill battle to win that back, but it's hit most of the right notes for me so far. If the support is as excellent as I hope in the coming year I think Halo 6 will have no problem to improve on these numbers.

Top Bottom