• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5- Where does Microsoft go from here? The good, the bad and the Halo 5

BokehKing

Banned
I don't think it's fair to say a game needs to follow a game, I just don't agree. Halo 3 was the most popular online shooter and it didn't get copied that much honestly, but it got beat sure, but halo trying to copy back broke halo imo, no need for it.
You bring up great points but you can't have this discussion with out recognizing certain truths.

Number 1 being COD is not just played by "kids" it makes the conversation dismissive. When brought up in that light it adds nothing to the conversation. COD didn't have to copy Halo it just made the turnstile quicker to get back on the ride.

Halo has its roots in non console gaming. IMO the play style screams mouse and keyboard, this game could have easily sold 5 million opening week if on PC.

Another truth that must be faced is....people moved on from halos play style. Too many other options out there offer a more accessible point of entry. Halo 1, 2 and 3's audience is still out there, I was one of those people that salivated at every release, but like others, I moved on to other choices

You can't get mad at people for that, you can't fault someone for finding something that clicks for them, and you certainly can't fault them for finding halo's steep learning curve as a turn off. Halo will always be a juggernaut , it just may not be one on consoles anymore

I think i need to look at how the multiplayer is over 5~6 months.

For Halo 6 they need to launch with more playlist, while i have quiet a steady arena group
that are at my level, but for friends that are either better or just plain bad i want to play with
them in a social playlist.

I think they need to have for one, much better online maps. These are absolutely terrible for halo maps if you compare them to any other halo game. Easily some of the worst for me right up there with reach.

Second, i think the gameplay is good but the AI to me needs work. I found myself killing enemies from far pretty much the whole game. Doesnt make for very interesting battles when no one rushes you, ever.

Third, i find that the story in the commercials would have made for a better campaign. I would have liked seeing those aspects incorporated into the story, having a Oni vs chief type of thing.

I dunno, the next game to me will be built purely on player feedback i feel. Whatever 343 decide to do on their own, or their vision, never seems to work out. Other than maybe warzone which is the exception. I feel like these guys dont really get halo which is ironic since they hired people who were passionate about the series.

It confuses me why they build a game with maps like this, that really dont feel like halo at all. Or why they choose to do a campaign a la halo2 which was the one i personally liked the least. My big problem i think is the decisions that are taken at 343 in general.

Edit: if 343 need to poll the halo community before every game, then at this point, i think they should. Its pointless to me to do your own vision every time if youre just gonna end up changing it and giving in to what we want.
reach, as much as people bitches, to me still felt like halo. This one online, plays like halo but doesnt look like halo.

shoreu

Yep but for me I want a more objective based game in cod. I personally never liked Cod's play style nor do I want to rush on maps so it makes me linger for classic halo even more. I know i'm not the only one so I won't say am i the only one? lol

I don't see the point of coping what cod did or what tf did or what another shooter will do. Developers need to trust in themselves and make game without playing others games.

I appreciate that yu suzuki doesn't copy anything in his games honestly. It gives the world a much different feel when playing, one i can really appreciate.

I admit I am close to tired of H5, I am sure I got over 500 games but I'm not sure. This is well below my 25,000 plus halo 3 games. I admit to being addicted though.

I may pick it back up if doubles feels fun and if the maps are decent but I don't have my hopes up.

Give the next 2 updates a chance, if you don't like it then it may not be the game for you. I took a fallout 4 break but I'm coming back because I really really like this game and it has the things that I've always wanted in halo. With BTB coming back next week I can ignore the hell out of warzone when I get tired of it. All we need now is 12 v 12 infection on warzone maps.

krang

Go multi-platform?

I'm not trolling - I don't want Halo 6 to be anything other than exclusive, but if Halo 5 produces those sales, I'm not sure what else 343i or MS can do. It's great.

They've committed to another Halo
Wars
next year, but at this point I'm concerned about how that will go. I'm sure I'll love it, though. Day one.

I think they need to have for one, much better online maps. These are absolutely terrible for halo maps if you compare them to any other halo game. Easily some of the worst for me right up there with reach.

Second, i think the gameplay is good but the AI to me needs work. I found myself killing enemies from far pretty much the whole game. Doesnt make for very interesting battles when no one rushes you, ever.

Third, i find that the story in the commercials would have made for a better campaign. I would have liked seeing those aspects incorporated into the story, having a Oni vs chief type of thing.

I dunno, the next game to me will be built purely on player feedback i feel. Whatever 343 decide to do on their own, or their vision, never seems to work out. Other than maybe warzone which is the exception. I feel like these guys dont really get halo which is ironic since they hired people who were passionate about the series.

It confuses me why they build a game with maps like this, that really dont feel like halo at all. Or why they choose to do a campaign a la halo2 which was the one i personally liked the least. My big problem i think is the decisions that are taken at 343 in general.

reach, as much as people bitches, to me still felt like halo. This one online, plays like halo but doesnt look like it.

Comparing 5's maps unfavorably with Reach's sort of blows my mind. I woulda killed for a launch lineup in Reach that had Fathom, Coliseum, Empire, Eden, Truth, Plaza... just about the only real complaints I have about H5's maps are that some of them are kind of boring to look at, and the rotation/playlist distribution could work better. That's it.

Monocle

i love that this is about turning halo around.

tons of people love halo 5
Halo 5's enduring popularity will prove that 343 did good work. I'm calling it now. Not to equate popularity with quality, but we all know how Halo 4's numbers tanked almost immediately. Halo 5 is too good for a similar fate.

There are many signs that 343 are listening to player feedback this time. Not only the changes they made after the beta, but also their plans for future updates like greatly increasing custom control options. (Separate sensitivity for the horizontal and vertical axes? Sign me up.) Not to mention their insanely ambitious update to Forge, which looks too good to be true.

I think perhaps they should hand 343 another franchise or have them work on an original IP. Its not like MS has a ton of first party studios that do AAA stuff so another studio wouldnt hurt. Let the franchise cool off for a couple of years while they make a new studio up for it. People that actually want to make proper Halo games. Not Halo/FPS-of-the-day Hybrids.

Cause it seems pretty clear that 343 has no interest in making old school type of Halo games. Pretty much everything they have added to the series (perks, unlocks, killstreaks in H4, ADS, sprint, clamber etc in H5) has been either flat out hated or grudgingly accepted.

Seems like a situation where nobody wins. 343 are stuck on making Halo games when they would rather be making a "modern" FPS. And fans are stuck with 343 games when they would rather be playing "classic" Halo.

mcrommert

Banned
Comparing 5's maps unfavorably with Reach's sort of blows my mind. I woulda killed for a launch lineup in Reach that had Fathom, Coliseum, Empire, Eden, Truth, Plaza... just about the only real complaints I have about H5's maps are that some of them are kind of boring to look at, and the rotation/playlist distribution could work better. That's it.

Agreed...there is a bit of repeated design language and their rotation system needs a good second look

Reach's maps were real bad

You bring up great points but you can't have this discussion with out recognizing certain truths.

Number 1 being COD is not just played by "kids" it makes the conversation dismissive. When brought up in that light it adds nothing to the conversation. COD didn't have to copy Halo it just made the turnstile quicker to get back on the ride.

Halo has its roots in non console gaming. IMO the play style screams mouse and keyboard, this game could have easily sold 5 million opening week if on PC.

Another truth that must be faced is....people moved on from halos play style. Too many other options out there offer a more accessible point of entry. Halo 1, 2 and 3's audience is still out there, I was one of those people that salivated at every release, but like others, I moved on to other choices

You can't get mad at people for that, you can't fault someone for finding something that clicks for them, and you certainly can't fault them for finding halo's steep learning curve as a turn off. Halo will always be a juggernaut , it just may not be one on consoles anymore

I can understand what your saying about being accessible but I'd just have to believe that not all players want accessible. There were people sucking on Halo 3 more so than the newer games I'd imagine and that is where a really good ranking system comes into play.

All I am simply saying is, and as you said. Halo is and was a juggernaut, it was that for being a more hardcore game. I don't see why we need to make this game more accessible when there are other options out there for people who want it. It clearly isn't working or halo since halo 3 and has been on a decline since they they have tried to make it more accessible. i firmly believe more accessible doesn't attribute to being better, i know you an agree with me there. Being less accessible can have the same things going for it and I agree with you there as well.

But, there are a lot of people out there that like 20,000 piece puzzles, that like to work on cars. There are people who want to learn a game. Why can't we cater to them in a game as well?

In terms of multiplayer I think 343i has made the right changes to make the game relevant in this day and age. The problem with halo 5 is it is somewhat lacking in content with in regards to maps and modes.

In terms of singleplayer they need to fix the narrative to give it a broader appeal, They also need to revisit what made Halo special in the first place and how it got its "combat evolved" moniker which to me means big scale battles in single player with different factions all going at it.

After MCC and Halo 4. they have done a great job making Halo 5, they just have to find a way to bring new players into the fold...

@OP, I guess you can take this with a grain of salt since I don't play Halo games, but everyone I know that does loves Halo 5 multi-player, which is kinda the point. But they are still people who just miss the old screen split-screen Halo sessions and I think that era is sort of gone now with who the FPS market is directed at, and consequently that crowd of people who used to play Halo for those couch-gaming sessions have moved on. I don't think there needs to be big changes going forward, just regular improvements, (campaign could use some refinement) with more players in the genre, Halo simply won't dominate like that anymore. But it can still be like Gran Truismo Mario Kart etc... and sell incredible well over the entire gen.

TLDR I think 343 did an incredible job, it's just the market is smaller and the user base for Halo is more dedicated fans instead of the phenomena it once was. It will still be a multi-million selling franchise.

They need to completely drop warzone in the next game, and make the req system only apply to armor. But also give us the chance to unlock armor by doing challenges like in COD. the gameplay is fine now, not as good as the first three Halo's but it will do. Also, keep improving the maps. H2 is still the pinnacle.

MJLord

If they do this the EU is dead to me completely. Halo 5 stood on its own and their were no characters out of left field. Yes, osiris has new members but we don't need to know everything about their back story in their first game.

Osiris just felt like husks of people to me. We go from hunting the Chief without any questions whatsover and the mindset that what ONI says goes. To all of a sudden being best pals, I completely missed whatever changed lockes mind there.

Not to mention the rest of both teams (osiris and blue) are literally there to make up the numbers when you want to play four player coop, there is absolutely no attempt made to make them into real characters. At least in Reach the 'others' had a little screen time and got to show what they're about.

Early game spoiler
Cortana just appears without any real explanation. I thought she was supposed to have died when the big ass ship in four blew the fuck up.
There's probably a million hours of EU shit I have to sift through to find that out.

In the beginning of four as well
having at the end of 3 made peace with the covenant and the arbiter the chief goes to sleep and wakes up to be fighting covenant.
It's explained a little in four but can you imagine how bloody insane that is for someone who only plays the games?

If the games want to try something different then I'm all for that. I liked ODST and Reach because they existed within the Halo universe but they left the numbered Halo games stories alone and had their own thing to do. 4 and 5 just leave me not knowing what's going on which is frustrating as a player who pretty much started out playing Halo:CE when I was in high school.

I think perhaps they should hand 343 another franchise or have them work on an original IP. Its not like MS has a ton of first party studios that do AAA stuff so another studio wouldnt hurt. Let the franchise cool off for a couple of years while they make a new studio up for it. People that actually want to make proper Halo games. Not Halo/FPS-of-the-day Hybrids.

Cause it seems pretty clear that 343 has no interest in making old school type of Halo games. Pretty much everything they have added to the series (perks, unlocks, killstreaks in H4, ADS, sprint, clamber etc in H5) has been either flat out hated or grudgingly accepted.

Seems like a situation where nobody wins. 343 are stuck on making Halo games when they would rather be making a "modern" FPS. And fans are stuck with 343 games when they would rather be playing "classic" Halo.
I feel you are a guy that wants more of a classic hardcore play style and all I want to say to all the fans and gamers of gaf is that there are gamers out there like me and this guy. A lot of us may not even come to this site or post online anywhere, but trust me. They are out there and they do watch halo to see how it progresses or comes back to form.

I promise you, we are there, we are waiting. We just want a new game that fits us. That's all we are asking for. I know it's hard to see that, because numbers are stronger and louder for what is being played (cod, bf) and a lot of us just aren't playing or talking about them, but I strongly believe in my heart if halo is just halo again you will see these fans rise out of the wood work and you may just be surprised in how it comes.

They need to drop warzone, and make the red system only apply to armor. But also give us the chance to unlock armor by doing challenges like in COD. the gameplay is fine now, not as good as the first three Halo's but it will do. Also, keep improving the maps. H2 is still the pinnacle.
Agee agree, armor, skins, paint schemes, visors, emblems and anything comestic would be fine to me.... cause I don't care about red cards and I dont care to play dress up. Not that I wouldn't do it, I would.... when I am more into a game. But I strongly believe h3 maps are better for a strong reason. H2 maps have bad size ratios for the halo bodies. They just don't allow or much space or movement and bungie addressed this issue a ton. You can see the difference in blackout, lockout and how movement, speed, nade placement makes a huge difference on the ramps.

I think 343 did an incredible job, it's just the market is smaller and the user base for Halo is more dedicated fans instead of the phenomena it once was. It will still be a multi-million selling franchise.
I have to disagree, the market isn't smaller, we are just waiting or the game to fit us :)

gatti-man

People tend not to buy sequels to franchises they don't know, and at this point the Halo franchise is around 14 years old... that is a hell of a lot of sequels that people feel that they need to have played.

I'd suggest 2 options:
a) Mass Effect: Andromeda. The franchise restarts somewhere else, it is only loosely connected to the original game. Similarly, the gameplay may be different.
b) Reboot. Re-imagine the series from the start, but modernized/subverted/twisted.

[I'd say the same thing about a few other gaming franchises...]

Call of duty?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think the long-term ramifications of Halo 5 are yet to be seen. Personally, as long as 343 pumps out the free sustain content, I think this'll be a pretty consistently popular Halo game. Wonder if player counts will ever be released.

The problem i have with the maps is that they kinda threw out the fact that they needed to feel like halo and instead replaced that with a lot of those ledges so that people could use that new "clamper" system or whatever you call it. I understand that they need to have that since the game has this as a new feature, but not all maps need to have it just because that feature is there.

They dont need to fill them up with unnecessary ledges everywhere just cause "we have to use this new feature". That to me is not a good way to design maps.

The layouts themselves i dont have as much of a problem with as the aesthetics of them. Its honestly a turn off for me when you play on these maps that all feel the same.

Some of halo best maps were very simple and i think they need more of that. More covenant stuff, more of that old style design. This new look, i dont like it one bit.

But then i go in the SP and i thought that a lot of those areas were super cool. Maybe have those guys make MP maps?

edit: Midship is a great example of them updating a map properly. It uses the new features enough, but it doesnt fill the map with too many ledges. Its simple and old yet feels new and is adapted perfectly. More of that.

Monocle

This is not accurate, as far as I've seen. There were a lot of negative reactions to Halo 4, for good reason, but 343 seems to have turned things around with Halo 5. At least in terms of base gameplay, equal starts, fixed weapon spawn points, etc.

I think the game will have legs. That shows that the game is good.
Yep. For my money Halo 5 is a clear cut above Reach and Halo 4.

It's my favourite halo yet. Absolutely loved it and the changes they made to the mobility of the Spartans is just excellent.

I wish there was some huge scarab like fight but other than that I thought it was really good.

i love that this is about turning halo around.

tons of people love halo 5

If the game wasn't having issues, I'm sure it wouldn't have these issues brought up at all man.

Give the next 2 updates a chance, if you don't like it then it may not be the game for you. I took a fallout 4 break but I'm coming back because I really really like this game and it has the things that I've always wanted in halo. With BTB coming back next week I can ignore the hell out of warzone when I get tired of it. All we need now is 12 v 12 infection on warzone maps.

I have given them chances, at which point do I just stop giving them chances, man.... I honestly felt I could barely give them a chance after h4 and some really really really bad things there. Just horrible.

Then MCC...

Then the maps of h5... then the idea that they seemed to focus on warzone and left the launch of h5 kind of eh....

I don't know how many chances I should give, I'm a pretty simple and open guy and I'd give a cheating partner 100 chances to be stupidly honest, but I don't see a change in what they are doing?

I can be open minded but the btb maps aren't looking hot at all, and i don;t even know hat i would enjoy team doubles on (not empire, eden or plaza that's for sure

Fathom is probably my favorite map and it is the smallest more than likely? close to it, and it can actually function without clamber interestingly enough..

watership

Early game spoiler
Cortana just appears without any real explanation. I thought she was supposed to have died when the big ass ship in four blew the fuck up.
There's probably a million hours of EU shit I have to sift through to find that out.

No. You don't. If you played the game, during gameplay, they explain it in character dialogue during one of Chief's missions. It's right in the game.

A lot of the dialogue in the game has a great deal of details, lore and context. If you ignore it, then you may be confused. Some people say if it's not in cut scenes it's going to get ignored, but then again, many people skip cut scenes in games.

No. You don't. If you played the game, during gameplay, they explain it in character dialogue during one of Chief's missions. It's right in the game.

A lot of the dialogue in the game has a great deal of details, lore and context. If you ignore it, then you may be confused. Some people say if it's not in cut scenes it's going to get ignored, but then again, many people skip cut scenes in games.

I suspect that a lot of people's complaints about the game would be answered if they listened to the in-mission chatter. Even with it, there's still problems, but motivations and backstories make a lot more sense with that factored in.

Where do they go?

TPS, tactical shooter, set during the insurrectionist war.

Basically a ghost recon 2 or GRAW set in the halo universe.

I would play the fuck out of that. Maybe have one mission where you run into pre-MJOLNIR Blue Team.

Not true, I can show a silly little chat screen capture if i can get suggested to a good host

I use imgur, but what's the point? You've been banging this drum since the game launched and all you've got is anecdotes. If this giant pool of dissatisfied Halo fans exists, prove it.

bchamba

There are no maps that are included in the playlists that I feel can become classic halo maps that people would want remade in later versions. They feel boring to me.

watership

While there are a few that refuse to accept sprint/ads in Halo 5, the vast..and I mean vast majority of people love it. I know this is a thread about the falling popularity of Halo, but Halo 5's gameplay quality is not the reason for it.

And the MCC was made so that classic Halo fans can play their favourite games, so that 343i can make new Halo experiences, without having to remake the same game over and over again.

Halo 5 is as modern a FPS as I can think of. The only thing you can't do is go prone, or peek around corners. The combat formula is second to none.

The gameplay is excelent, the focus on competitiveness led to great improvements in the formula. I suppose there is people that would preffer to go back to Halo 3 but a franchise needs to evolve to appeal to people that play other kind of shooters and I think 343 made an excelent work by blending curent gaming trends into the Halo formula and keeping the Halo feeling.

The problem with the game is the campaign, more specifically, the narrative. 343 is trying to make a multimedia franchise integrating different media to make a huge story, that means the game is only one part of that complex narrative and focus only on telling its part. That wasn't the case of previous games. A player expect to know the character he's playing with but in Halo 5 that story is told elsewhere. Maybe, considering the decline in sales, 343 wants to depend less on the game extending the franchise to other media but they have to decide, either to make meaninful the other media or to deliver a high quality narrative. Halo 4 has the best narrative os the series IMO, 343 can do much better than Halo 5.

If the game wasn't having issues, I'm sure it wouldn't have these issues brought up at all man.

Then the maps of h5... then the idea that they seemed to focus on warzone and left the launch of h5 kind of eh....

I can be open minded but the btb maps aren't looking hot at all, and i don;t even know hat i would enjoy team doubles on (not empire, eden or plaza that's for sure

Fathom is probably my favorite map and it is the smallest more than likely? close to it, and it can actually function without clamber interestingly enough..

Warzone is the answer to Battlefront. Is it surprising that Stormbreak is a snowbase like Hoth? It is also a way to keep the core visual and gameplay elements of Halo while introducing something new to the franchise. Heaven forbid something new is being offered in a game.

In terms of everything else, BTB, more maps, gameplay modes, weapons, patches, and all it is a timed MARKETING PLAN. If 343 threw everything at players on day 1 they would have nothing to go back to every week or every couple of weeks to maintain or even grow their player base. In 2 weeks people would have moved on and since they would have blown their load on content the wait for new content would be exponentially longer than the artificially held back content like they have now. This is because they are buying time for their designers and artists to make new maps while other material sits in the hopper waiting to be deployed.

Take a good look at Destiny. Seriously, take a damn good look at it. Every week since that game launched the press has been writing stories about it. They have drip fed out new content and raids etc so they show up in games media time and time again. The game has been selling very well and has seen a very long tail. 343 is trying to do the same thing with Halo.

In the industry there is a phrase called "User Acquisition" and another called "User Engagement" This is a new concept for a lot of people and most gamers barely know they exist. It boils down to a plan where by you can introduce players to the game, and then keep them there so that they don't go play something else. Without a drip feed of content and something to constantly pull you back in there is nothing keeping players in your game. Destiny is the prime example of this at the moment and is what is being strived for now with console games. Watch as everything under the sun uses this model of long tail fresh content.

Pretty odd thing to say when all over the web you'll find people praising Halo 5's gameplay to be the best in the series.

If I removed Clamber, Sprint, ADS from H5 is it still a good game? IMO, Yes. It would actually be a better game than it is right now. Those are the things 343 brought to the table.

Most of what is good in Halo 5 is either a refinement of what already existed in the series (the golden triangle, equal starts etc) or technical progress (60FPS, dedicated servers etc). You could hand the baseline of a Halo game to any decent FPS studio and they could do the same.

Then there is the SP gameplay which is pretty much a failure when compared to the rest of the series. We lost split screen. The campaign became shorter. The AI became worse. None of the new enemies are half as fun to fight as the covenant. Its a retread of the MP where its not the changes 343 made that are the fun part of the game but what has always been in the Halo series.

Not even gonna talk about the story stuff since thats not really gameplay related.

This is not accurate, as far as I've seen. There were a lot of negative reactions to Halo 4, for good reason, but 343 seems to have turned things around with Halo 5. At least in terms of base gameplay, equal starts, fixed weapon spawn points, etc.

Turned things around is a relative phrase though. I mean sure compared to H4 its better but that not saying much, H4 felt like focus testing gone awry. And it works better compared to MCC but thats not saying much either cause MCC was flat out broken.

Are back on the same level we were at with Halo 3? Campaign and MP wise? Nope. Are we realistically gonna be there with H6 or even H7 unless this franchise is handed to some other studio? IMO, nope.

balohna

The campaign was really stale by the end, I think they did an okay job of making the game long enough... But the last 20% was easily the worst part of the game. Kind of a shame.

I suspect that a lot of people's complaints about the game would be answered if they listened to the in-mission chatter. Even with it, there's still problems, but motivations and backstories make a lot more sense with that factored in.

I would play the fuck out of that. Maybe have one mission where you run into pre-MJOLNIR Blue Team.

I use imgur, but what's the point? You've been banging this drum since the game launched and all you've got is anecdotes. If this giant pool of dissatisfied Halo fans exists, prove it.

That's fine man and I know it's silly and just what pepole say, but people are people and I do feel all people can have their say as to how they feel. There are a few places out on the net where halo fans dwell and gaf isn't really the biggest.

IMO- halo fans aren't even the fb, neogaf type. Just like you won't hardly ever see a halo pro here. Well, that's my opinion. Anyways, this is something I put together mostly for you. you guys can maulk it whatever, but respect that these are people. We should respect all people IMO, so I hope we can be mature regardless where these people post online

kndF5eU.png

Q41w8jn.jpg

32UwU75.jpg

sKOJU3T.jpg

***OBVIOUSLY all sorts of people hate anything out there, and that isn't the point I'm getting at. I just don't want people to say and believe everyone loves halo. it isn;t true , won't be true and isn't true for any game in the world obviously. that's all.

I only hope that this can be brought to the attention to MS to at least try a more classic halo style game. If it fails, i will be the first to admit I was wrong.

shoreu

Osiris just felt like husks of people to me. We go from hunting the Chief without any questions whatsover and the mindset that what ONI says goes. To all of a sudden being best pals, I completely missed whatever changed lockes mind there.

Not to mention the rest of both teams (osiris and blue) are literally there to make up the numbers when you want to play four player coop, there is absolutely no attempt made to make them into real characters. At least in Reach the 'others' had a little screen time and got to show what they're about.

Early game spoiler

In the beginning of four as well
having at the end of 3 made peace with the covenant and the arbiter the chief goes to sleep and wakes up to be fighting covenant.
It's explained a little in four but can you imagine how bloody insane that is for someone who only plays the games?

If the games want to try something different then I'm all for that. I liked ODST and Reach because they existed within the Halo universe but they left the numbered Halo games stories alone and had their own thing to do. 4 and 5 just leave me not knowing what's going on which is frustrating as a player who pretty much started out playing Halo:CE when I was in high school.

When thats your job you do what you gotta do. Like Buck and even Locke said their all here because of him. When the situation changes they see no reason to fight. Blue team doesn't want to kill Osiris and they really don't respect them enough to be worried about their presence. And Osiris just wants them back.

The
cortana returning thing is in game only. So many stories have pulled the I survived thing it's not new with halo, but it's believable with an AI at least.

Now with Halo 4
neither chief nor Cortana knew what was going on so how could she give a better answer.

Being different, putting us in other people's shoes and fleshing out the universe is exactly why it's so good.

Halo needs differentiation instead of just having the same old tired main character with the same boring supporting characters. Let's leave MC alone for a little while, focus on others and let's flesh out the world. Let's have a game that takes entirely during the Forerunner war.

Let's have a game that follows Arbitar doing his thing. It's time to start experimenting with the Halo formula or risk the game becoming a mere footnote instead of a huge gaming event.

I'd love more Halo universe games.

If im MS, im sitting down with 343 and im trying to set up some sort of feedback system (kinda like they did the preview program for the dashboard) but for Halo games. You can have a select number of people 343 chooses or have more like the preview program now and they can build the next game with all that constant feedback from the halo community in that preview.

Like that we dont get stuck with these maps that all feel the same, we possibly get a better story, maybe more refined gameplay and a better overall final product.

This to me is the only way we will ever get the "perfect" Halo game.

Thats not to say this game is bad, its really not, but this idea (to me) would give it the best chance of being a Halo game that everyone can agree with.

Its either that or we keep hoping they deliver.

Pretty obvious the lack of popularity is because there is no content. 8 maps where 6 looks the same, most boring launch playlists ever, only TS, CTF, Strongholds, Breakout at launch, things like no campaign scoring which destroys the speedrunning community and no grav hammers/griffball for that community, no btb for that community, no social playlist<-seriously wtf? etc...

watership

***OBVIOUSLY all sorts of people have anything out there, and that isn't the point I'm getting at. I just don't want people to say and believe everyone loves halo. it isn;t true , won't be true and isn't true for any game in the world obviously. that's all.

I only hope that this can be brought to the attention to MS to at least try a more classic halo style game. If it fails, i will be the first to admit I was wrong.

I hope that they do not try to make a more classic halo game. That way, marginalizes Halo more than anything else. The problem with Halo that even Bungee realized with Reach is that they were serving too many masters. The core that never wanted anything but Halo 2, BR starts, and more maps. The semi casuals that loved Halo 3's chaos and options, and the niche, that loved one or two core aspects of Halo and didn't migrate to the others.. like Forgers, or arena only competitive, etc.

None of this would have been a problem is Halo MCC launched successfully. The long drawn out problems with that game upset the whole community. However, that's where they need to stay if they want the old game feeling. With. The. Old. Games.

I don't want Halo to turn out to be like Mario Cart. New game, Same basic ideas and mechanics. Where nostalgia rules and changes are frowned upon. For an FPS, that's a good way to die.

Monocle

Turned things around is a relative phrase though. I mean sure compared to H4 its better but that not saying much, H4 felt like focus testing gone awry. And it works better compared to MCC but thats not saying much either cause MCC was flat out broken.

Are back on the same level we were at with Halo 3? Campaign and MP wise? Nope. Are we realistically gonna be there with H6 or even H7 unless this franchise is handed to some other studio? IMO, nope.
I'd say yes, I honestly believe we are. And I say this as a huge fan of 3 and a big detractor of 4.

If im MS, im sitting down with 343 and im trying to set up some sort of feedback system (kinda like they did the preview program for the dashboard) but for Halo games. You can have a select number of people 343 chooses or have more like the preview program now and they can build the next game with all that constant feedback from the halo community in that preview.

Like that we dont get stuck with these maps that all feel the same, we possibly get a better story, maybe more refined gameplay and a better overall final product.

This to me is the only way we will ever get the "perfect" Halo game.

Thats not to say this game is bad, its really not, but this idea (to me) would give it the best chance of being a Halo game that everyone can agree with.

Its either that or we keep hoping they deliver.

The bolded already exists... Halo Community Surveys sent out by 343.

Go multi-platform?

I'm not trolling - I don't want Halo 6 to be anything other than exclusive, but if Halo 5 produces those sales, I'm not sure what else 343i or MS can do. It's great.

They've committed to another Halo
Wars
next year, but at this point I'm concerned about how that will go. I'm sure I'll love it, though. Day one.

The sales is largely due to MCC and to a less extent Xbox One as a platform, this directly shows how a bad release can damage another great game in a franchise.

I dunno man, I believe these fans don't even do surveys. quite a few of my friends that are halo fans are sort of like sports/outgoing... players. They party, play and see girls and shit. That is how most of my old halo buddies are even though I barely fit that criteria. I can't talk to them about other games actually as they only owned halo or cod at the time.

Well they clearly need to be reworked. If that worked, the maps wouldnt all look the way they do.

You do realize that not everybody agrees with you, right? Some people like the maps. Implementing a more rigorous feedback system won't automatically get you what you want.

Besides, I can't even imagine trying to do art design by committee. Sounds like a nightmare.

You do realize that not everybody agrees with you, right? Some people like the maps. Implementing a more rigorous feedback system won't automatically get you what you want.

Besides, I can't even imagine trying to do art design by committee. Sounds like a nightmare.

Not everyone agrees, but most people do. Not one of my friends like the maps, a lot of the reviews mention how they all feel the same. This can all be caught before time. Its the first thing i noticed without even playing the game.

Top Bottom