• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAV to be Epic store's free game

INC

I haven't spent a single cent on Epic Games Store ( a big reason - no Canadian pricing - all in USD) ... BUT I have quite a nice library built up on it now. I think they're playing a long game very well.

Lol same, been on world war z, a fun game I'm enjoying and got for free, never would of paid money for

Jayjayhd34

And thats why PC is an open platform where choices are important, and consoles are closed off. Epic is trying to consolize the pc market. Fuck them.

Yeah but all you have to do is install something. on a console that involves buying into new platform, or missing out. The point as a PC gamer your'll never going to miss out on any games. Yes epic is missing some minor things that steam has but at end of day the end result is the same you get to enjoy your games.

Hinedorf

Banned
Wow that's so great to get a free game that came out in 2013

giphy.gif

INC

Got mine and free £10, but need to spend over £14.99 to use, guess I'll have £10 for awhile lol

Relativ9

So, do we have a Gaff server where everything is way overdone like one of those RP servers I hear so much about? :p

Moogle11

Banned
I grabbed it. Don't know when, or if I'll check it out, but I'm one of the few that has never played it! I gave up on GTA3 and 4 after 20+ hours as they just weren't my cup of tea so I never bothered with this one. But for free, maybe I'll check it out in some future lull between games I want to play. I do know they changed some things I hated about 3 and 4, like adding mid-mission checkpoints.

Last edited:

manfestival

It blows my mind that after skipping an entire generation than GTA5 not only constantly is in the top 10 of sales every month but it manages to have so much demand that it crashes the EGS

Moogle11

Banned
It blows my mind that after skipping an entire generation than GTA5 not only constantly is in the top 10 of sales every month but it manages to have so much demand that it crashes the EGS

To be fair, it also coincided with their mega sale and people logging into claim their $10 coupon and check what was on sale. Though I'm sure GTAV was the main draw for traffic. Probably a fair amount of people that had/have it on console wanting to grab the PC version too.

manfestival

To be fair, it also coincided with their mega sale and people logging into claim their $10 coupon and check what was on sale. Though I'm sure GTAV was the main draw for traffic. Probably a fair amount of people that had/have it on console wanting to grab the PC version too.
That still doesn't explain the never before seen legs that GTA 5 has. It just adds to my point.

Guilty_AI

I always suspected they'd do it at some point. Its a perfect game to drive traffic and old enough for rockstar to be willing to give it away for free, and both Rockstar and Epic probably care more about potential revenue from sharkcards anyway.

Don't really understand the attitude against Epic. If you just get the free games you would have all these by now. I've never spent money yet have over 100 games on it:
Shitty bussiness practices that are borderline monopolistic, in fact your 100 games library are part of it.
Those free games, exclusive deals and $10 cupons put Epic on the red, but it also drives revenue away from competitors (not just steam btw). It doesn't matter however since they have other revenue sources such as Unreal Engine and Fortnite, that more than cover these losses.
The patern is usually to keep doing this until they drive all competition out of the market, becoming a monopoly then. Its pretty similar to what Amazon and Wallmart did.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah but all you have to do is install something. on a console that involves buying into new platform, or missing out. The point as a PC gamer your'll never going to miss out on any games. Yes epic is missing some minor things that steam has but at end of day the end result is the same you get to enjoy your games.

Yeah thats if you are shortsighted.

I want to believe in supporting an open platform like pc, not by turning it into a console war esque shop where exclusivity gets you anything.

I have too many games to play but I cant fault people for wanting free games, I do fault people into not looking further than their own desires for MUH GAMS

MMaRsu

Banned
I always suspected they'd do it at some point. Its a perfect game to drive traffic and old enough for rockstar to be willing to give it away for free, and both Rockstar and Epic probably care more about potential revenue from sharkcards anyway.

Shitty bussiness practices that are borderline monopolistic, in fact your 100 games library are part of it.
Those free games, exclusive deals and $10 cupons put Epic on the red, but it also drives revenue away from competitors (not just steam btw). It doesn't matter however since they have other revenue sources such as Unreal Engine and Fortnite, that more than cover these losses.
The patern is usually to keep doing this until they drive all competition out of the market, becoming a monopoly then. Its pretty similar to what Amazon and Wallmart did.

But but my free games 🤷🏼‍♂️

llien

Epic games store have trojan or hidden DMR? I think im gonna download this fucking program.

On the opposite, it contains karma improving procedures.
Periodically, it will chant, internally: 12% is better than 30%! Gabe is a greedy asshole!!
Consequently, improving owner's karma by 12 to 30%.

Dontero

Banned
And thats why PC is an open platform where choices are important, and consoles are closed off. Epic is trying to consolize the pc market. Fuck them.

Yes because running different launcher for free is consolization.

GTA5 for free really hurt fanboys.

I hope epic will get exclusivity for GTA6. It would be amazing to see steam fanboys raging everywhere.

I don't mind steam having some competition for once because quite frankly the sales have fucking sucked for years now. If EGS puts Valve's feet to the fire so to speak and we get some actual decent good steam sales again then I'm all for it. Before EGS, Steam was pretty much the dominant games launcher on the market so it's not like they're driving anybody out.

I don't get the amazon, walmart comparison because it's not like there were ever ma and pa digital game distribution launchers to begin with, (Yes there's GOG but even in CDPR shareholder meetings GOG has barely broke even since it's existence) it's basically been Valve and Steam being the dominant digital distribution source since the mid 00's PC gaming crash with some publisher trying out their own launchers. The mid 00's PC gaming crash was so bad that Valve and Blizzard were relatively the only big PC studios that remained unscathed.

Crosscode is awesome btw and I really need to get back into it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes because running different launcher for free is consolization.

GTA5 for free really hurt fanboys.

I hope epic will get exclusivity for GTA6. It would be amazing to see steam fanboys raging everywhere.

No, buying up exclusivity to force people to.come.to your platform.is.

Just because you are to ducking stupid to understand that, is not.my issue.

Im also not a "steam" fanboy like you cucks keep yacking, I own.games on basically every platform.and launcher out there.

But keep.making your dumbass remarks and shit, everybody knows you people are.morons (calling ppl steam.fanboys lmao)

Dontero

Banned
No, buying up exclusivity to force people to.come.to your platform.is.

Just because you are to ducking stupid to understand that, is not.my issue.

Im also not a "steam" fanboy like you cucks keep yacking, I own.games on basically every platform.and launcher out there.

But keep.making your dumbass remarks and shit, everybody knows you people are.morons (calling ppl steam.fanboys lmao)

Translation:

REEEEE REEEEE RE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RE REEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RE RE REEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Guilty_AI

I don't mind steam having some competition for once because quite frankly the sales have fucking sucked for years now. If EGS puts Valve's feet to the fire so to speak and we get some actual decent good steam sales again then I'm all for it. Before EGS, Steam was pretty much the dominant games launcher on the market so it's not like they're driving anybody out.

I don't get the amazon, walmart comparison because it's not like there were ever ma and pa digital game distribution launchers to begin with, (Yes there's GOG but even in CDPR shareholder meetings GOG has barely broke even since it's existence) it's basically been Valve and Steam being the dominant digital distribution source since the mid 00's PC gaming crash with some publisher trying out their own launchers. The mid 00's PC gaming crash was so bad that Valve and Blizzard were relatively the only big PC studios that remained unscathed.

Crosscode is awesome btw and I really need to get back into it.
The comparison comes from the way they do business. As great as Epic offerings may seem at first, they're dangerously close to predatory pricing, and my main worry isn't it harming Steam but stores like GOG.
I don't see the problem with Steam sales either considering the prices are mainly regulated by the developers. Just the other day i bought Alien Isolation for $2, and before that the Yakuza bundle (Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2) for $25 or so. Also, its very likely steam would get a lawsuit on its ass if they started making sales out of its own pocket like Epic, since it could be considered exclusionary competition.

And yes, Crosscode is awesome. Fullgame is out already and i'm just waiting for the post-story chapter.

Orta

Banned
Just finished downloading GTA (all 97gb of it).

Launched it and it wouldn't launch. Epic store app froze so restarted. Launched again and a message popped up to install a Rockstar launcher to launch GTA5. Got it, installed it and it also automatically installed authenticity certificates and installed Direct X, only to be told after downloading and installing DX that my computer had the latest version :messenger_neutral:

Right, off I go. Opened Epic store and launched GTA5, up popped the something called a Rockstar social club that I had to register for to play GTA5 :messenger_unamused:

Deleted GTA5 and deleted the Epic store app for good measure :messenger_sunglasses:

In future you can stick your free games up your fucking arses you cunts. Jesus, what a pile of shit! :messenger_pouting:

MMaRsu

Banned
Translation:

REEEEE REEEEE RE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RE REEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RE RE REEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lmao. A babies response. You and you buddy spukc can go fuck off if you have no intention to discuss anything, but just want to rail on about your point.

Why exactly am I reeeeing? Because I have a clear argument and you are standing there with shit in your teeth?

Lmao dont make me laugh you clown 😂😂😂

Fortnite cucks

Miles708

Launched it and it wouldn't launch. Epic store app froze so restarted. Launched again and a message popped up to install a Rockstar launcher to launch GTA5. Got it, installed it and it also automatically installed authenticity certificates and installed Direct X, only to be told after downloading and installing DX that my computer had the latest version :messenger_neutral:

Right, off I go. Opened Epic store and launched GTA5, up popped the something called a Rockstar social club that I had to register for to play GTA5 :messenger_unamused:

Deleted GTA5 and deleted the Epic store app for good measure :messenger_sunglasses:

In future you can stick your free games up your fucking arses you cunts. Jesus, what a pile of shit! :messenger_pouting:

Well, that explains the "free" part.
Makes the deal much more unappealing. Thanks for the heads-up.

GymWolf

call me crazy but i prefer navigating on epic store than steam, steam is a clusterfuck of stuff on screen, epic store is far more cleaner.

but tbh i don't use 99% of steam features and functions.

Dontero

Banned

Steam version also requires Rockstar Social Club. So Epic or not, free or not you have to have it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

y'know, i guess i'm on this "epic bad" hate train and will shit on them quite happily

but this is NOT an Epic issue. sounds like your problem is with Rockstar. no matter where you get the game from you need the Rockstar Launcher/Social Club. even Steam has you log in through Rockstar Social Club. while i don't agree with the bullshit of launchers/registration it is quite normal these days so don't really feel bad for you. maybe if you did some research (if this kind of thing bothers you so much) then you could've avoided it. the game has been out for over 5 years now on PC so the information is out there....

also, imagine getting so angry over a free game lol. enjoy playing something else i guess :)

Last edited:

Stuart360

Is it true you cant pick what drive to install games to on that pos store?. I have like 40 game on there and never installed one of them.

YCoCg

Just a heads up, for modding this version you'll have to wait slightly, there's a few exe differences so current plug ins and injectors do not work with the Epic Store version, but it will be supported as soon as and will be supported in future updates.

Also yeah you need a Rockstar Games Social Club account, it's been like that since it came out on PC years ago, RDR2 requires it too and their older pc games (GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3) now use it too.

Dontero

Banned
Just a heads up, for modding this version you'll have to wait slightly, there's a few exe differences so current plug ins and injectors do not work with the Epic Store version

Game isn't any different than Steam. So just crack it like Steam version and you are good to go.
Either way you will be playing offline as any mod will ban you when you try to play online.

YCoCg

Game isn't any different than Steam. So just crack it like Steam version and you are good to go.
Either way you will be playing offline as any mod will ban you when you try to play online.
No need to crack it, the modding community like to stay up to date and support this game (and have done so for years), you can have mods AND keep the ability to use Online since there's a toggle to switch between mod loading and online mode. Currently that's not available in the Epic Store version but they're working on it.

Dontero

Banned
No need to crack it, the modding community like to stay up to date and support this game (and have done so for years), you can have mods AND keep the ability to use Online since there's a toggle to switch between mod loading and online mode. Currently that's not available in the Epic Store version but they're working on it.

That toggle is effectively just making your game offline. So if you go that length you can just crack it and have one offline and one online version of game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom