• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 hacker seems to have been arrested

Soodanim

I thought u had to be 18 to play GTA?
Maybe that's why he got nicked. Rules is rules, can't be playing games while underage.
i hate how they call these people hackers. they're not. they just gain employee credentials through phishing.
Hacking We Are In GIF by Debby Ryan
origins hacking GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You could put anyone in jail for anything hacking rockstars gta 6 servers is a good reason to go to jail.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

Gamerguy84

Wonder if he had a login. I wouldn't think Rockstar security was bad.

If he was good he would be practically untraceable.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't get the angry reactions... the GTA franchise is a juvenile fantasy about being some sort of badass anyway, but when some teen actually screws with a rich corporation everyone is against him?

It obviously wasn't the smartest move the way he did it, but having the state police ruin lives because a million-selling game dev got embarrassed online isn't exactly a world order I can support.

DR3AM

Did he leak anything else since the big leak last week? Missed opportunity. Should have released everything anonymously and nothing would have happened if he was smart. He wanted fame and started to blackmail and look where it took him.

Because he’s committed a crime against a corporation he’ll probably be thrown in a hole until he dies. Meanwhile rapists, peadophiles and murderers are out in 3-10 years with good behaviour. Poor kid.
Poor kid, my ass. Whatever they give him (which will likely be nothing), won't be enough.

No, it doesn't compare to those other crimes, but that's a different subject. This guy messed with stuff he knew effected millions of people and caused millions of dollars in damages to a company. He put himself in this spotlight and should be punished harshly for the purpose of being a deterrent.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Poor kid, my ass. Whatever they give him (which will likely be nothing), won't be enough.

No, it doesn't compare to those other crimes, but that's a different subject. This guy messed with stuff he knew effected millions of people and caused millions of dollars in damages to a company. He put himself in this spotlight and should be punished harshly for the purpose of being a deterrent.
He’s 17 man.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

aef66c65-cb76-470a-93a6-8689cc385879_text.gif

While I don't condone what he did, it's hard to feel sorry for a multibillion corporation like Take-Two, which has a history of anti-consumer practices, treating their customers and employees like shit, etc. So now it's their turn to get bent like what they've been doing for years to gamers.

I do feel a bit sorry for the actual devs, though, who are working on this. But let's face it; they're still gonna get paid regardless. Although I'm sure whoever succumbed to the social engineering is most likely gonna get sacked (but that's on par for any corporation).

With that said, I liked what I saw in the early alpha footage and am intrigued with the female lead- my hype level definitely went up! (despite the release still years away and probably delayed even more now)

TLZ

Banned
While I agree this is all wrong, and he's a stupid mother******, and he obviously should be punished somehow, but he's still 17, and at that age a lot do very stupid things just to look so cool and badass.

Stooky

I don't get the angry reactions... the GTA franchise is a juvenile fantasy about being some sort of badass anyway, but when some teen actually screws with a rich corporation everyone is against him?

It obviously wasn't the smartest move the way he did it, but having the state police ruin lives because a million-selling game dev got embarrassed online isn't exactly a world order I can support.
Huh!? It’s illegal I’m sure you don’t someone hacking you and putting your info out to thepublic.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

millions of dolllars in damage to a company who has been ghosting its fans for 9 years with 0 new information about their new game, a company who abandoned a perfectly fine online mode because the other one made more money, a company which desecrated the legacy of 3 of the greatest video games ever made
they had it coming, i can't imagine feeling bad for them

Batiman

Banned
It always amazes me how these young kids are able to create so much damage to such huge companies. This shit is wizardry to me.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It always amazes me how these young kids are able to create so damage to such huge companies. This shit is wizardry to me.
It was a phishing attack, which is more about knowing English grammar and punctuation than actually knowing anything about hacking.

Whoever fell for the phishing attack is probably fired though, since I'm sure 2K has phishing training and their negligence caused hundreds of millions of dollars in stock to disappear overnight.

A 17 year old kid did this? Take Two should be paying the kid for finding an apparently easy exploit

he definitely needs to end up at an ivy school or tech company

Batiman

Banned
It was a phishing attack, which is more about knowing English grammar and punctuation than actually knowing anything about hacking.

Whoever fell for the phishing attack is probably fired though, since I'm sure 2K has phishing training and their negligence caused hundreds of millions of dollars in stock to disappear overnight.
I have no idea what phishing attack is…

Magic is more like it. Black magic!

Stooky

He didn’t release anything but a bunch of development footage as far as we’re aware. Rockstar will survive, the game will sell a billion still.
It’s not his, It’s illegal period. Are you saying it’s ok for anyone to release a companies multi milllion dollar project. I’ll lose my job and be sued if i did that this shit is crazy

Mattyp

Gold Member
And he'll be made an example of.

No way will Take Two/Rockstar let this one get off lightly.

They don’t get to decide what sentence he gets at all what the fuck lol, that’s up to the prosecution take two don’t get to have any input.

Considering kids don’t even serve jail for stabbing each other in the spiralling shithole that is London at the moment he’s not doing time.

They don’t get to decide what sentence he gets at all what the fuck lol, that’s up to the prosecution take two don’t get to have any input.

Considering kids don’t even serve jail for stabbing each other in the spiralling shithole that is London at the moment he’s not doing time.
Yeah law enforcement and the judicial process are always totally fair when large multinational corporations are involved; I'm sure he'll be fine. Hey, incidentally, what happened to that guy who hacked Nintendo? I forget.

London is a shithole though.

AGRacing

Oh he can definitely metaphorically fry for this one ... he didnt get caught for stabbing some nobody like you or I - you're right. He did FAR worse... he cost people with a ton of money... more money. He's toast.

Robb

Gold Member
That was quick. I would’ve though the guy was in Russia or some other country that don’t necessarily adhere to other countries laws.

But I guess it makes sense if he’s that young. Curious to see what the consequences for this will be, considering he’s a minor.

njean777

How do the developers deserve this? Because they were working hard on a game?

They're clearly a greedy company, but there are multiple levels to this. Your generalization is lazy. The company isn't just wealthy suits in some tower. That's not how it works.

This makes no sense either. So, the company treats their employees like shit. That's great and all. But those employees just had their hard work put out there by a breach. So, do you want to reverse what you're saying to include some of the employees who were affected? Or are you just talking out of your ass?
No, I don’t take anything back. Look it’s simple: people are going to buy GTA 6 regardless of this leak. We know that they have been working on it for years, so who cares? Rockstar treats their employees like shit, so consequences happen eventually. Which is why I could not care less about this leak happening. None of those that have worked on the game will lose their jobs over this (unless they were involved). Call it karma, or whatever, but in the end this leak hurts nobody, it’s free publicity.

John Wick

And he'll be made an example of.

No way will Take Two/Rockstar let this one get off lightly.
Watch all his tough guy melt away around him now that it's all caught up to him. He won't be the keyboard warrior now but the little snivelling basement dwelling shithouse that he is.

John Wick

If found guilty he can face 5 years in prison for committing cyber crime.

Add the extortion to that which can be up to 14 years in prison, he could be looking at 19 years max in prison, halved to 9 years if he behaves himself.

Who knows if Take Two will want to extradite him to the USA to face charges their.
He'll be begging to be tried in a UK court. Time to face the music.

DCDW

IIRC the UK does have a dept/program that recruits young hacker offenders and recruits them to work for the UK and private companies in favor of security rather than hacking/exploiting. Which IMO is a good program to have. A lot of these hackers are a combination of being young, idealistic, and just don't know any better and the UK gives them a second chance to work in the field rather than destroy their potential livelyhood.

MrMephistoX

I mean he also hacked Uber so his heart was in the right place? I could totally see 17 year old finding it funny to hack both a game which celebrates stealing cars and a company stealing wages from their drivers? Especially putting up giant cocks on the company intranet .

Top Bottom