• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 hacker seems to have been arrested

Kurotri

Wouldn't it be better to hire this guy? I mean don't get me wrong he committed a crime but at the same time he's got enough brains to play real life hackerman at the age of 17.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wouldn't it be better to hire this guy? I mean don't get me wrong he committed a crime but at the same time he's got enough brains to play real life hackerman at the age of 17.

If he doesn't get a lengthy jail sentence, he probably will get offers from many IT companies after this.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Feel kinda bad about this kid, when I was 17 I sure did stupid things and had no sense of how it would impact my life in the future but this dude took that to another level.
I did some stupid shit when i was 17, but aside from some speeding, I never went out there and tried to black mail people for millions of dollars lol.

The only sympathy I might have for this kid is if he's indeed autistic like the early reports said. Their brains are wired differently, and they dont fully understand the consequences of their actions. Even then, send this asshole away for some therapy so he can learn to rewire his brain until he realizes that this isnt normal human behavior.

Ever heard of snowden?

Cant trust these fools.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Try him as an adult and send his ass to jail. I dont care if its a fancy white collar jail or if its for 1-2 months. He needs to spend that time away from society.

It's the only way these kids will learn. They take advantage of the fact that they are underage and will get off with a slap on the wrist.
ah yes just who we need inside our jails, those violent people who leak information that means nothing

Three

watch the FBI hire him lol
only if the UK extradite him but I doubt it. Could have just been poor security anyhow. If he's that talented the UK will keep him. The UK didn't extradite Gary McKinnon and he hacked the US military.

Last edited:

Stuart360

If anything he should be rewarded from Rockstar, his hacking has completely tempered expectations for GTA6. Now Rockstar can make the game they want without worrying about 'its not next gen enough!' drama over the next couple of years of development.

kiphalfton

Can't argue with that considering he broke the law, but does the tweet really need a giant visual with ARRESTED plastered on it like it's some sort of sports celebration.

Yeah, because it shows "somebody is doing their job". Which will appease those who are out for blood, and law enforcement won't have to hear them bitching.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Hacking is illegal in the UK?

Holy shit it must suck to live there.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

20cent

Banned
Burn Him Adam Sandler GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

NeoGAF justice warriors probably want to ruin this kids life forever.
But he made my favorite edgy gaming company and game series look bad and getting laughs on twitter!

SoraNoKuni

Hopefully he wasn't just used as a scapegoat from his team, apparently all his information was known to the rest of the "team".

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He was already banned from using a computer/internet.

still a hacker.

If he didn't hack anything he's not a hacker. Like when people think some account of theirs has been "hacked" when in fact they are just dumbasses who use the same password everywhere, it leaked from somewhere else, and someone simply used it to log in to their account. That's not hacking.

Last edited:

chonga

i hate how they call these people hackers. they're not. they just gain employee credentials through phishing.
Yeah if you read Uber's account of what happened to them there's bugger all 'hacking' involved.

People comparing this dude to notable hackers of the past. Laughable. Those people actually found and took advantage of exploits and bugs in software.

This dude, and group, rely on social engineering techniques to get in through the front door. All they have that you and I don't have is guts and perseverance. Someone who robs houses by checking each door until they come across one that's unlocked is not the world's best person at breaking and entering. They're just someone who knows how to use a door handle with a lot of patience.

If he didn't hack anything he's not a hacker. Like when people think some account of theirs has been "hacked" when in fact they are just dumbasses who use the same password everywhere, it leaked from somewhere else, and someone simply used it to log in to their account. That's not hacking.
i get what you're saying but to me it's still hacking. any unauthorised access to my accounts even if it's due to my own stupidity i will say i've been hacked. it's just a general term people use even if it is misused. i wouldn't get too upset about it. what this dude did is more serious than someones facebook or tiktok getting hacked into.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i get what you're saying but to me it's still hacking. any unauthorised access to my accounts even if it's due to my own stupidity i will say i've been hacked. it's just a general term people use even if it is misused. i wouldn't get too upset about it. what this dude did is more serious than someones facebook or tiktok getting hacked into.

Yeah, that's how most people use the term. But that's not hacking.

Last edited:

e0n

Why are people impressed? He literally blackmailed a company for money. Not mentally ill to my knowledge and exposed a videogame company of all things.

njean777

Why are people impressed? He literally blackmailed a company for money. Not mentally ill to my knowledge and exposed a videogame company of all things.

A video game company that has had plenty of accusations of treating their employees like shit among other accusations. I have no pity for Rockstar. Sorry not sorry.

Laieon

On one hand it was felony grand larceny, on the other hand he'll be snapped up by the first tech company that offers more money than we will ever make.

I knew someone who was part of the Lulzsec Sony hack back in the day, this is exactly what happened to him (not sure if that was what he was specifically charged with though). He spent about 8 months in jail and then had a ton of job offers waiting for him when he got out.

Ristifer

Poor kid. Hope he doesnt get any jail time. R is a greedy evil pub, they deserve worse.
How do the developers deserve this? Because they were working hard on a game?

They're clearly a greedy company, but there are multiple levels to this. Your generalization is lazy. The company isn't just wealthy suits in some tower. That's not how it works.
A video game company that has had plenty of accusations of treating their employees like shit among other accusations. I have no pity for Rockstar. Sorry not sorry.
This makes no sense either. So, the company treats their employees like shit. That's great and all. But those employees just had their hard work put out there by a breach. So, do you want to reverse what you're saying to include some of the employees who were affected? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Top Bottom