• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 hacker seems to have been arrested

Soodanim

He didn’t think. That’s the problem. Like many kids in this generation
FTFY
At 17 you've left secondary education and maybe gotten a job if you're not still in full time education, but in real world years you're still a newborn. You don't always have the life experience to fully understand the gravity of your actions at that age because the kid gloves have been on. They might still be on, unless they decide to take them off.

Don't get me wrong, he's still old enough to know better, but when you're that young there's less of a feeling of having something to lose. He almost certainly didn't think it was going to be this bad. The innocence of youth. Except he isn't innocent anymore, he's guilty as fuck. His life lesson is pulling stunts so public that he's thrown himself into the deep end of repercussions.

Or, alternatively, I'm not giving him enough credit and he's an arrogant little cunt who thought he was an invincible warrior of justice, fighting the good fight on behalf of the likes of those people in this thread that foolishly think you can justify this ethically.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Poor kid, my ass. Whatever they give him (which will likely be nothing), won't be enough.

No, it doesn't compare to those other crimes, but that's a different subject. This guy messed with stuff he knew effected millions of people and caused millions of dollars in damages to a company. He put himself in this spotlight and should be punished harshly for the purpose of being a deterrent.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Some of you on here need to go and get yourselves an account on ResetEra so you can all give each other a big hug. Absolute man babies.

I really hope some of you never become parents. Otherwise I feel sorry for the kids if they ever make a mistake. Unforgiving pricks some of you.

Maybe we should set up a go fund me to help out Rockstar with these damages 😂.

“Whatever he gets won’t be enough” wow, wow, so let’s just sentence him to death then is what you’re saying?

Last edited:

RyRy93

Theft and blackmail of IP potentially worth millions of dollars, he's a kid but clearly smart enough to know about the severity of his actions.

They can't let him off too lightly otherwise the other members of his hacking group will feel encouraged to keep doing what they are doing.

Three

I don't get the angry reactions... the GTA franchise is a juvenile fantasy about being some sort of badass anyway, but when some teen actually screws with a rich corporation everyone is against him?

It obviously wasn't the smartest move the way he did it, but having the state police ruin lives because a million-selling game dev got embarrassed online isn't exactly a world order I can support.
I don't think it was the embarrassment but the selling of proprietary source code and ransom that made this a little more serious than just embarrassment. Having said that I hope the kid just gets a slap on the wrist though, this isn't worth ruining somebody's life over.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Burn Him Adam Sandler GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

NeoGAF justice warriors probably want to ruin this kids life forever.

ohhhhh, so we made him try to extort a company?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Did some of you not know consequences existed for actions like this or?

this isn't worth ruining somebody's life over.

They ruined their own life when they continued doing this. If it wasn't Rockstar, any other company like this would do the same thing. Its like saying if I rob a bank and you are saying to the bank "this isn't worth ruining someone's life over" as if the BANK ITSELF is doing it to me or something.

When he choose to do this, they choose this path for his life and I'd argue a slap on the wrist is to show that this is ok, nothing etc. He was already arrested for something like this before, so this is the life they are choosing. Maybe if that company they hacked before took the same measures, he wouldn't have even gotten the idea to hack Rockstar if he understood it was a serious thing or something.

Should arrest number 3 be the one where he is actually held accountable or something? 4? So I'm not saying they need to get life, but they need to get some charge that makes them understand the seriousness of this as clearly that first arrest didn't do shit if we are here yet again with an arrest.

Tams

17 years, so he skips jail?
There's still young offenders institutes, and then at 18 transfer to prison.

No idea how this will pan out though. Perhaps he'll get a slap on wrist, or perhaps a worse sentence than grooming gangs. Who knows in the bold new Britain.

The muppet blackmailed Rockstar though, so it doesn't look too good.

Last edited:
I did some stupid shit when i was 17, but aside from some speeding, I never went out there and tried to black mail people for millions of dollars lol.

The only sympathy I might have for this kid is if he's indeed autistic like the early reports said. Their brains are wired differently, and they dont fully understand the consequences of their actions. Even then, send this asshole away for some therapy so he can learn to rewire his brain until he realizes that this isnt normal human behavior.

Ever heard of snowden?

Cant trust these fools.

I'm autistic. I know many autistic people. We all very well understand the consequences of our actions.

PS You don't need to be only autistic to be a hacker. Stop with the ignorant stereotyping.

On topic. Watch him get hired under house arrest instead of jail.

GermanZepp

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Some of you on here need to go and get yourselves an account on ResetEra so you can all give each other a big hug. Absolute man babies.

I really hope some of you never become parents. Otherwise I feel sorry for the kids if they ever make a mistake. Unforgiving pricks some of you.

Maybe we should set up a go fund me to help out Rockstar with these damages 😂.

“Whatever he gets won’t be enough” wow, wow, so let’s just sentence him to death then is what you’re saying?

Stealing and blackmail? I can care less for someone who do things like that.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I maybe don't think he should get 25 years in prison for this, all the "he's just a kid" replies are weird to me. Yes, he's a kid, but he's not 7. At 17 you know very well what you're doing, unless you've got some mental disability.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If the cops just slap him on the wrist you aren’t proving anything. You’re just telling the next 17 year old that they’ll get slapped just as hard next time. The amount of damage someone can do online is shocking. You have healthcare , law, financial, and more hosted in the cloud. At what point do they enforce punishments that makes these people think twice? This time it’s Rockstar, what’s next your bank, your hospital? It’ll never cease to be a problem.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Do you mean to say that one of the most important and millionaire video game companies, who have surveillance, people with computer knowledge and who is one of the most powerful, was hacked by an ordinary teenager?

Top Bottom