• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gripshift - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/gripshift/review.html

For as bad as the driving mechanics in GripShift are, big-time puzzle fans and those who really enjoy the notion of a track editor will at least get something out of the game. You'll never fully get used to the way the cars move, but the breadth of content is undeniable, and the game doesn't look half bad to boot. Serious puzzle fans in search of something different might find a decent rental in GripShift. Less-hardcore puzzlers, however, should probably just stick to their copies of Lumines for the time being.

IGN gives it a 7.5 and a much more positive spin overall:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/650/650776p1.html

I for one am interested in this game, it looks unique and the driving mechanics were mentioned in GameSpot's own previews as a positive and interesting addition, so I'm somewhat confused by this review. At any rate, I'm getting a PSP for Xmas (I have a DS and loads of games too, so now I'll be covered on all fronts), and I just may ask for this too, it sounds interesting to me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gamespot said:
No matter what car you're driving, and no matter how good the handling rating might be, you will spend more time trying to keep a solid grip on your car and its wheels on the track than you will spend actually thinking about any of the game's puzzles. Every car slips and slides around the roads like a greased pig. This represents double trouble, because none of the tracks have side rails of any kind.
The game's got an exaggerated handling model and it does have a tendency to be slippy but picking vehicles with higher handling ratings does make a significant difference in control. Generally, the game offers you a tradeoff between handling and braking, so you can choose a vehicle that has tighter handling but longer braking distance or slippier handling and shorter braking distance. The whole point of the game is to figure out how to use the exaggerated driving model in the game to your benefit.

Top Bottom