• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Buggy Loop

Is it just me or is there something rather pleasant about the lighting in Dragons Dogma 2? I cant put a finger on it, but i much prefer the grass here compared to the open area grasslands of FF7.

It's no horizon or avatar, but I thought I would be turned off by the ugly graphics. On the contrary, i find it very pleasing to look at. Maybe its the RTGI.

I5d3EPL.gif

The first dragon looked really good in the cutscene. Not quite up there with the hobbit but definitely better looking than GOW's dragons.

CS6nHLD.gif

SSR reflections are awful though.

I agree on all those points. It looks really nice on monitor. Very atmospheric, the lighting seems to have volume sometimes. RTGI seems to be doing some heavy lifting, because the cliffs and so on around paths aren’t necessarily good quality.

Screen space is as always, shit. Somehow I also get the same kind of aura around characters when I walk on grass and move camera. As if grass is in a screen space? Probably not what’s going on but same kind of glitch.

The dragon looks phenomenal. Huuuge step up from the first.

mrMUR_96

I might be the only one but I don't like the visuals in that new Marvel game. I can see that it's technically excellent but I hate that muted, soft, post-processed "filmic" look that it's going for. It's another Order 1886, and I didn't like that either lol.

It's bad enough that Hollywood contrives to ruin the IQ possible on modern displays with fake "film grain" etc, but now we're having to put up with that shit in games too.

I'd much rather have a nice pristine image like that original UE5 demo.
Haha I suppose it's quite subjective, I personally love the filmic look of this and loved it in the order too. Ignoring the "filmic look" though, the underlying visuals are easily the best we've seen so far imo. Clearly a true next gen leap we've been waiting for.

Last edited:

Edder1

This argument would make sense if Horizon FW wasn't still the best looking game out there. Which UE5 game looks better than Horizon FW? Robocop, Redfall, Fortnite?

This is a real bad argument my guy, can't believe you even making it. The only game that uses UE5 feature set is Robocop and that's an indie game. Fortnite kinda does but it still uses all the assets from UE4 build. Wait till we get proper AAA UE5 games that use all the new features and then we can compare. Horizon only still looks nice because we barely had any proper "next gen" games. If 1943 hits 80% of what they showed then it blows HFW and Spiderman 2 out of the water.

Last edited:

Sirolf

Is it just me or is there something rather pleasant about the lighting in Dragons Dogma 2? I cant put a finger on it, but i much prefer the grass here compared to the open area grasslands of FF7.

It's no horizon or avatar, but I thought I would be turned off by the ugly graphics. On the contrary, i find it very pleasing to look at. Maybe its the RTGI.

I5d3EPL.gif

The first dragon looked really good in the cutscene. Not quite up there with the hobbit but definitely better looking than GOW's dragons.

CS6nHLD.gif

Does the PS5 version have RTGI ?

Schmendrick

LExgZOn.jpg

This guy knew, lol. Second comment in this thread had it spot on. He got laughed at but his wisdom shall live on with us as the era of CGI games is ushered upon us.
Ugh this utterly stupid "we get cgi games now" after every. single. target-render.
Even crows and monkeys learn faster from mistakes than some people in this community......

Last edited:

Lethal01

Maybe it's just a clever trick like the famous kinect star wars demo.

Like the video is prerendered and the camera man just know how to move to make it look legit.

I would not be surprised by anything at this point...

Again, I think it's very clear this is running real-time in engine, but running real time in engine does not actually mean that's what the game will look like, The could have probably done the same thing with the original hellblade of avatar demo

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It definitely doesn't, they just have different type of scales.

God-Of-War-Hraezlyr-Boss-Guide-Tips-Tricks-Strategies.jpg

97f01cc6e691e4162537e7d090e265c50c87576c.gif

tumblr_p7kisajo3o1ufnwh1o1_540.gif

That is not the (non)upgrade people expect after 6 years and a new gen, also prerendered cutscene vs ingame cutscene, and still no noticeable difference.

But i respect the fact that you still try :lollipop_squinting:
Dude those are some ugly looking dragons.

And no, its not a pre-rendered cutscene. I had the fps running and it was dropping frames because i was GPU bound. Besides you literally play that scene and climb on top of it.

BsMozCN.gif

AAmrheb.gif

SlimySnake

Maybe it's just a clever trick like the famous kinect star wars demo.

Like the video is prerendered and the camera man just know how to move to make it look legit.

I would not be surprised by anything at this point...
The video isnt pre-rendered because you see them turn off lights and then turn them on which casts accurate shadows on the smoke effects. The floodnight also moves around the map, snow and mud deforms and is pulled up. They also literally cut to the UE5 editor at the very end after pausing the final cutscene because they knew a crazy italian wouldnt believe them.

Epic has been showing them for the last 4 years. We have played all but one of them on PCs. This thing is legit. With the Pro now coming out, not even console owners have the right to worry about downgrades.

Lethal01

Epic has been showing them for the last 4 years. We have played all but one of them on PCs. This thing is legit. With the Pro now coming out, not even console owners have the right to worry about downgrades.

there are many reasons game get downgraded, such as what is feasible in a handful of promotional scenes not being doable by the team on a large scale with proper gameplay for technical reasons or just that they dont have the time to make to do it.

shamoomoo

And no, its not a pre-rendered cutscene. I had the fps running and it was dropping frames because i was GPU bound. Besides you literally play that scene and climb on top of it.

BsMozCN.gif

AAmrheb.gif
What? I get a person's opinion are subjective but each dragon look really good.

SlimySnake

What? I get a person's opinion are subjective but each dragon look really good.
it looked good in 2018. 2024? you can start to see the cracks. i see cartoony textures. Flat lighting. And just an ugly looking dragon design in general. It's like its wearing a helmet. The dragon in DG2 looks like an actual dragon.

he called it pre-rendered so clearly he thinks it looks like cg.

GymWolf

BsMozCN.gif

AAmrheb.gif
Different style of dragon, same level of details.

And you are not grabbing anything in the cutscene where he eat your heart, you have zero control during the close up to his face, but at least it's an ingame cinematic so the comparison is fair, i heard rurikhan saying that the cutscenes are the only moment on console where the framerate skyrocket so i thought they were prerendered and not actual ingame (the dude literally say they are prerendered if i remember well, and he is a uber mega fanboy of the game).

Hunnybun

Haha I suppose it's quite subjective, I personally love the filmic look of this and loved it in the order too. Ignoring the "filmic look" though, the underlying visuals are easily the best we've seen so far imo. Clearly a true next gen leap we've been waiting for.

I'll never understand why you'd want a muddy image when you know what a good HDR 4k display can produce. It's totally baffling to me.

Content should be designed around the current technology, not around the recreation of some "cinematic" standard that was only ever the product of old technology.

GymWolf

it looked good in 2018. 2024? you can start to see the cracks. i see cartoony textures. Flat lighting. And just an ugly looking dragon design in general. It's like its wearing a helmet. The dragon in DG2 looks like an actual dragon.

he called it pre-rendered so clearly he thinks it looks like cg.
I called it prerendered because i thought it was a prerendered cutscene, don't twist my words dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Different style of dragon, same level of details.

And you are not grabbing anything in the cutscene where he eat your heart, you have zero control during the close up to his face, but at least it's an ingame cinematic so the comparison is fair, i heard rurikhan saying that the cutscenes are the only moment on console where the framerate skyrocket so i thought they were prerendered and not actual ingame (the dude literally say they are prerendered if i remember well, and he is a uber mega fanboy of the game).
This definitely didnt look like a video file to me. I can typically tell because they are recorded in way worse resolutions than my 4k dlss quality feed.

What surprised me the most was that the intro scene with you on the back of a griffon traversing through the land was all real time because my framerate was going all over the place. Its extremely impressive to see them load new levels like that so fast. I believe the Horizon FW opening had a similar scene in realtime on PS5 and a video file on PS4.

Unfortunately they dont let you create a new character so i cant go back and replay those cutscenes. But my framerate was definitely fluctuating during both those cutscenes. Game looks surprisingly good in cutscenes. hero lighting?

scoobs

This is a real bad argument my guy, can't believe you even making it. The only game that uses UE5 feature set is Robocop and that's an indie game. Fortnite kinda does but it still uses all the assets from UE4 build. Wait till we get proper AAA UE5 games that use all the new features and then we can compare. Horizon only still looks nice because we barely had any proper "next gen" games. If 1943 hits 80% of what they showed then it blows HFW and Spiderman 2 out of the water.
Is it a bad argument? He literally said he wishes it was using features like what UE5 has. My point was the game started production 5-6 years ago. This technology didn't even exist then.

Edder1

Is it a bad argument? He literally said he wishes it was using features like what UE5 has. My point was the game started production 5-6 years ago. This technology didn't even exist then.
You then went on to list UE5 games, none of which are a good example since we haven't had AAA UE5 games that use all the new features of the engine.

Last edited:

H . R . 2

a bit late but ,...thoughts?
I for one hope they will push the consoles to their very limits and leave no room for an FPS increase
then again, they have amazing tech and great optimisation. the fact that 360 and PS3 were able to run GTA5 is still to this day staggering

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I5d3EPL.gif

CS6nHLD.gif

There is. It doesn't come up in compressed yt vids that well but it just looks good and soft.
I like how armor looks, how grass looks. Soft shadowing or something. Reminds me a bit of ff16

Lethal01

I for one hope they will push the consoles to their very limits and leave no room for an FPS increase
then again, they have amazing tech and great optimisation. the fact that 360 and PS3 were able to run GTA5 is still to this day staggering

Assuming that settings being able to be lowered means that anything is held back in the 30fps mode is just silly.

JCreasy

I've been thinking about what a Kojima project might look like in Unreal Engine 5. Then I realized we have the MGS 3 Remake coming. Even though it's not Kojima-proper, it does give at least some insight into what kinda of fidelity we could expect when viewed through the lense of UE 5.

I can see a distinction between this and Decima. There is a lot of rich, dense detail we're getting with this pre-alpha sample.

That hair, for instance. Is that strand-based? It looks close enough. A leap in next-gen hair is something I've been patiently waiting to see happen for years. And it's just casually present in this video.

Guerilla better step their shit up, man. Being the champs two years ago doesn't mean anything today, or tomorrow. "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse." That planned overhaul of Decima's tools needs to be demonstrably significant.

Kojima's vision looks GREAT in Decima. But I'm struggling with the fact that it could look even better with Unreal Engine 5. I'm starting to feel like that's an objective fact.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Tried dd2 for like 3 hours, it looks like a good ps4 game in 4k, nothing more, nothing less, the somehow dull and washed out art design of the location doesn't do any favour to the graphic.

Some characters\models looks pretty good and clearly the highlight but it really look a gen behind horizon overall.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Do check out the Marvel 1943 reveal when it gets posted in full (or scan the State of Unreal stream,) as it demos some of the newest Unreal Engine features and has some pretty fantastic facial/character performance stuff.

iEB3mL9.png

1YcUFvs.png

LTTP but JFC!!! I swear to God I thought you posted a Marvel movie trailer and were making some sort of comparison with real-time games. I don't believe this, and I say that in a literal/hopeful/giddy/wtf way.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Tried dd2 for like 3 hours, it looks like a good ps4 game in 4k, nothing more, nothing less, the somehow dull and washed out art design of the location doesn't do any favour to the graphic.

Some characters\models looks pretty good and clearly the highlight but it really look a gen behind horizon overall.

Since you place zero value in the lighting department I can understand your position.

Lethal01

I've been thinking about what a Kojima project might look like in Unreal Engine 5. Then I realized we have the MGS 3 Remake coming. Even though it's not Kojima-proper, it does give at least some insight into what kinda of fidelity we could expect when viewed through the lense of UE 5.

I can see a distinction between this and Decima. There is a lot of rich, dense detail we're getting with this pre-alpha sample.

That hair, for instance. Is that strand-based? It looks close enough. A leap in next-gen hair is something I've been patiently waiting to see happen for years. And it's just casually present in this video.

Guerilla better step their shit up, man. Being the champs two years ago doesn't mean anything today, or tomorrow. "If you're not getting better, you're getting worse." That planned overhaul of Decima's tools needs to be demonstrably significant.

Kojima's vision looks GREAT in Decima. But I'm struggling with the fact that it could look even better with Unreal Engine 5. I'm starting to feel like that's an objective fact.

Decima seems to have it's own strength in it'r ability to sender a a huge volume of various dynamic, beautifully shadowed foliage

GymWolf

Since you place zero value in the lighting department I can understand your position.
Nah, you just need 2 working eyes and a look at dd2 pics and the horizon pics in this very page to understand my position, nothing more.

I don't care how advanced the lights are if the result still look mid AF compared to a damn crossgen title.

Good lights only work when you have great graphic underneath, and horizon show that you can look top class even with unrealistic, ancient lighting, maybe because it nails a more pixar cg look over super realistic real life look, but dd2 doens't achieve neither of the 2.

Case closed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Nah, you just need 2 working eyes and a look at dd2 pics and the horizon pics in this very page to understand my position, nothing more.

I don't care how advanced the lights are if the result still look mid AF compared to a damn crossgen title.
It has the feature i wanted in hfw but overall i agree. You need more than just accurate lighting. The open world is good but the cities don’t look as good because of low quality assets in comparison.

I played a night level and it was pitch black until i took out my lantern. It’s such a simple effect but it works really well here thanks to the accurate gi light bounce from the lantern. I am not a big rtgi guy but this game is making me a believer.

P.s its great to see so many people following you at all times. I like the npcs grabbing items and chests without being asked. I like how they talk to each other without feeling canned like Sony first party dialogue. I dont know how they can handle like 15 npcs taking part in combat but can’t handle cities with the same amount of npcs simply standing around.

GymWolf

It has the feature i wanted in hfw but overall i agree. You need more than just accurate lighting. The open world is good but the cities don’t look as good because of low quality assets in comparison.

I played a night level and it was pitch black until i took out my lantern. It’s such a simple effect but it works really well here thanks to the accurate gi light bounce from the lantern. I am not a big rtgi guy but this game is making me a believer.

P.s its great to see so many people following you at all times. I like the npcs grabbing items and chests without being asked. I like how they talk to each other without feeling canned like Sony first party dialogue. I dont know how they can handle like 15 npcs taking part in combat but can’t handle cities with the same amount of npcs simply standing around.
I lost 2 hours of progress because of the mongoloid npcs ia with terrible path-tracking, that's how they manage that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Portugeezer

Are we to belive they won't be pushing the CPU? Just lower some graphics and get 60fps.

No way.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Are you implying that DD2 looks more visually impressive than horizon Fw?

From a lighting and vfx perspective, yes.

Horizon has many things going for it, but sadly the environmental lighting is the reason this game will age poorly in a relatively short period of time as we see more and more RTGI based games. I am confident the next installation will remedy this though.

Last edited:
LExgZOn.jpg

This guy knew, lol. Second comment in this thread had it spot on. He got laughed at but his wisdom shall live on with us as the era of CGI games is ushered upon us.
And the only reason it took as long as it did was a combination of covid, cross gen and the industry being obsessed with open world & gaas games instead of linear games like Ryse, Driveclub, Quantum Break, The Order, Uncharted 4 and Horizon. It's really not that hard to understand and yes there are some outliers like Arkham Knight but with Gotham Knights / SS a LOT of CPU/GPU resources are used up because they have to account for potential co-op and not a guaranteed single player experience.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Good lights only work when you have great graphic underneath, and horizon show that you can look top class even with unrealistic, ancient lighting, maybe because it nails a more pixar cg look over super realistic real life look, but dd2 doens't achieve neither of the 2.

Case closed.

I wasn't being sarcastic. There are people here who argue graphics of a particular game are good/bad but they can't articulate what makes for good graphics in their opinion. You are on record saying you don't value lighting nearly as much as other aspects so I understood your position of ranking Horizon over DD2 more than I would someone else's

Top Bottom