• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltron

8bit said:
Strip Club, Comedy Club, Cabaret Club?

*sigh*

Tell me you read the Sam Houser EDGE interview? If not go read it, its on next-gen.biz. Dont worry no poilers just some hints.

The reason I sighed is because every GTA fan should read that brilliant interview.

Ranger X

Damn. The subway system is quite huge! Well, the map is huge.

How will i find the time to play that game + multi + GT Prologue + multi...

Sylar

Banned
Theres a rumor going around that Jim Norton and Patrice O'Neal recorded audio for the comedy clubs. That's just awesome.

More O&A in GTA!

jmoe316

According to PlanetGTA, MP screens weren't supposed to be released to the public yet and these map pics weren't supposed to be revealed until the game launches April 29.

Oops.

OXM MP preview states that the delay was to work on networking code because the mp takes up the whole map (some modes), some random info I know.

The subway map is strikingly similar to NYC's actual subway map, and the colored lines are geographically correct in comparison with the real map.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jmoe316 said:
According to PlanetGTA, MP screens weren't supposed to be released to the public yet and these map pics weren't supposed to be revealed until the game launches April 29.

Oops.

Muhahaha.

I really dislike Rockstar's limited release of info up until release, so I love these leaks. :D

MrCompletely said:
The subway map is strikingly similar to NYC's actual subway map, and the colored lines are geographically correct in comparison with the real map.

It's pretty weird to see my line chug through the hundreds though.

Cardon

Sylar said:
Theres a rumor going around that Jim Norton and Patrice O'Neal recorded audio for the comedy clubs. That's just awesome.

More O&A in GTA!

Well Patrice has been confirmed and Robert Kelly did some stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised if lil'Jimmy did some stuff since he worked on Bully.

Cardon said:
Well Patrice has been confirmed and Robert Kelly did some stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised if lil'Jimmy did some stuff since he worked on Bully.

Holy shit, Patrice O'Neal. That's brilliant. The Cola Rapist hits Liberty City.

pr0cs

jmoe316 said:

Oops.
It's ridiculous that they'd wait that long to get the information and hype out for that portion of the game so late. If multiplayer is any good you'd think they'd at least give out some official info and screenshots so "word of mouth" could help sell that portion of the game.

If the multiplayer allows play in a good portion of the real game world I'm sold, Saint's Row multiplayer was fun but felt a little shallow due to the maps not being held in part of the single player game world. The environments felt sterile that way.

dork

Banned
I would give my left testicle and probably my right one also for this game to get GOTY, or at least some sick ratings.

Just from the screenshots and impressions I am hearing..I want to drop out of school and quit work to play it.:lol

dork said:
I would give my left testicle and probably my right one also for this game to get GOTY, or at least some sick ratings.

Just from the screenshots and impressions I am hearing..I want to drop out of school and quit work to play it.:lol

This is what you would call, "Dropping the ball."

The maps are so awesome to look at, just the design alone. Especially the subway maps, I like how they used the NYC MTA font :D. I'm getting a kick out of all the New York references in the street names too, though its difficult to make out most of them.

100 pages yay.

Final trailer tomorrow aye? Can't wait for that.

And this game really is the complete package. Solid GTA single player coupled with fantastic multiplayer modes. This disc ain't leaving my 360 for a long ass time.

dork

Banned
In relation to GTAIV and Microsoft sweating out.

Gamestop is expecting a 3:1 sell ratio (360:ps3) Which isnt great, but isn't bad.

Either way, i want the game to do well (which it will)

dork said:
In relation to GTAIV and Microsoft sweating out.

Gamestop is expecting a 3:1 sell ratio (360:ps3) Which isnt great, but isn't bad.

Either way, i want the game to do well (which it will)

hey, can you source that for me?

dork

Banned
MrCompletely said:
hey, can you source that for me?

Sorry :(, thats from one of their conference calls. So I have no real source other than word of mouth

He gave me some other cool information also, but not related to GTA.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sylar said:

More O&A in GTA!

Yeah I already posted like three weeks back that Patrice O'Neal got confirmed in Lazlow's real radioshow :)

Also when is the trailing coming out exactly, anybody know??

MMaRsu

Banned
Not to troll or anything, but the last batch of screens just seems like they made it look a little less good to improve the fps and such, which isn't that bad but I just hope it looks like this in motion and doesnt have that weird painting filter..

009.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MMaRsu said:
Not to troll or anything, but the last batch of screens just seems like they made it look a little less good to improve the fps and such, which isn't that bad but I just hope it looks like this in motion and doesnt have that weird painting filter..

009.jpg

I forgot about those pics. I agree, that paint filter is really screwing up these screens. That old pic looks miles better than the last batch (and it could be a "downgrade" as well, who knows.)

MMaRsu said:

Finally someone else takes notice. Thought I was the only one.

newsguy

MMaRsu said:

I see what you mean, but I pray cars don't look like they were just hit with KY.

MMaRsu

Banned
newsguy said:
I see what you mean, but I pray cars don't look like they were just hit with KY.

No sure, but a new car should right? And yes it's dangerous mentioning this, I really dont mean to troll because I'll buy this day 1 no matter what, but I don't want 2 get banned before GTA4 comes out heh ^_^

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Here's another old pic:

grand-theft-auto-iv-20070524093352979.jpg

Look how great the whole scene looks, especially the cars. Now a more recent pic:

grand-theft-auto-iv-20080208033009627.jpg

Focus on the cars instead of the buildings...it does seem that a "downgrade" might have happened. Wouldn't be out of the question as the game chugged with little to no traffic for the E3 demo last year.

I'm not arguing about the game being bad...don't get me wrong, it WILL be amazing no matter how it looks...but it seems a bit odd not to mention it.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Why a downgrade? Isn't this game coming to PC also? Could be from PC and consoles or something, respectively.

Dante

MMaRsu said:
Yeah I already posted like three weeks back that Patrice O'Neal got confirmed in Lazlow's real radioshow :)

Also when is the trailing coming out exactly, anybody know??

O&A confirmed they did audio on it, as well a Fez from the Ron N Fez show. I can't remember but I wouldn't be surprised if they used Club Soda Kenny as well, since he did audio for them in the past.

chubigans said:
Here's another old pic:

Look how great the whole scene looks, especially the cars. Now a more recent pic:

Focus on the cars instead of the buildings...it does seem that a "downgrade" might have happened. Wouldn't be out of the question as the game chugged with little to no traffic for the E3 demo last year.

I'm not arguing about the game being bad...don't get me wrong, it WILL be amazing no matter how it looks...but it seems a bit odd not to mention it.

Don't we have this discussion about the screenshots of every next gen game? And then no one notices in the final product?

Let's talk about the subway lines instead. That's some whacked out shit.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't we have this discussion about the screenshots of every next gen game? And then no one notices in the final product?

Let's talk about the subway lines instead. That's some whacked out shit.
I hope you can subtly sneak into the subway. It'd be a shame if going without paying was like an automatic one star. There are a ton of sneaky ways to get free subway rides in real life.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I hope you can subtly sneak into the subway. It'd be a shame if going without paying was like an automatic one star. There are a ton of sneaky ways to get free subway rides in real life.

Or give some reprobate fifty cents to swipe you in?

:lol

That would be so great.

Goldrusher

chubigans said:

Referring to this:

009.jpg

You guys focus on "the paint effect" only, while ignoring that...

...the lighting was all wrong.
...the car model was horrible. Way too much bloom on it too.
...the road textures were véry blurry.
...buildings were véry blurry, yet billboards ultra sharp.
etc.

Here's a few shots from the latest batch, look at the whole picture, the atmosphere:

4205-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

4188-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

4189-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

4172_gtaiv_screenshot.jpg

The paint effect is used mainly to blur distant objects. Screens out there with way too much of that (Sprunk billboard plaza comes to mind), are likely crops from a bigger pictures.

I agree some stuff got downgraded, but you have to look at the whole picture. Detailed cars and sharp billboards, yet terribly blurry buildings and probably only 20fps.
Right now, everything in the game blends together and it runs at 30fps minimum too. If you seriously think the screen with the red car looks like it's a nicer game, than the screens I posted above, ... ... ...

I doubt it's a trails-like filter you can turn off. Hopefully for you, but unlikely.

MrCompletely said:

errrr...not quite :lol same look and feel maybe but geographically correct? :lol

New-York-Subway-Map-Print-C10116293.jpeg

Max@GC

Sure. On the more recent pics it looks definately rougher because of that shitty grainy filter overlay or whatever that is.

MobiusPigeon said:
errrr...not quite :lol same look and feel maybe but geographically correct? :lol

New-York-Subway-Map-Print-C10116293.jpeg

Basically my point.

Also, it's a good thing the people just randomly responding to posts without quoting them are doing so in a very unpopulated and non-busy thread.

newsguy

MMaRsu said:
No sure, but a new car should right? And yes it's dangerous mentioning this, I really dont mean to troll because I'll buy this day 1 no matter what, but I don't want 2 get banned before GTA4 comes out heh ^_^

Well to be fair, that shot is old as hell, and back then the framerate was confirmed to be shit in the early previews. Now the framerate is confirmed to be smooth there is a slight downgrade. Again, the lighting model has been highly touted in previews, and it can be seen in new shots, and that's really what's going to give the game a gritty, true to life look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom